GEOS SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS SDK - GEOS ; Hello, For some unknown reason I decided to try my hand at geos development so I downloaded the GEOS SDK and C++ files from Två Katter. To my suprise they seem to be zipped from someone's harddrive, not actual installable ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. GEOS SDK

    Hello,

    For some unknown reason I decided to try my hand at geos development so I
    downloaded the GEOS SDK and C++ files from Två Katter. To my suprise they
    seem to be zipped from someone's harddrive, not actual installable
    applications so therefor I can't get them to function on my NT4 workstation,
    and I really don't want to spend alot of time just trying to make it work.
    So........

    1. Is this the way it was distributed by Nokia or did someone zip it from
    their HD?

    2. If not, does someone have the original SDK program for download?

    3. Also is this a program that is user friendly for the casual programmer
    or does it require a Masters Degree in programming to use?

    I can code VB, dBase, and a little Pascal but don't know a thing about C, so
    I would also like to hear from someone who has written geos apps with the
    SDK.

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Re: GEOS SDK

    "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    news:afqQa.980$Mc.76178@newsread1.prod.itd.earthli nk.net...

    > 3. Also is this a program that is user friendly for the casual programmer

    NO!

  3. Re: GEOS SDK

    Hi Jim,

    Well, to program in Geos you'll need to know either C or Assembly. All
    the guts of Geos (including the major office apps) is written in
    Assembly. The vast majority of 3rd party apps are written in C with a
    layer of extra Geos keywords and object oriented stuff added to it.

    And I agree that the hardest part of learning a new programming language
    is the syntax. After all - most programming is just managing variables,
    loops and branches.

    Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    Geos32 gets here.

    John ;-)

    James Lawrie wrote:

    > Howdy,

    [snip]

    > No, C is far to strange for me to learn I've tried it once and I was lost.
    > Kinda like learning a foreign lanuage - had no luck at that either. I think
    > the hardest part is the syntax. Pascal was like dBase and I picked it up
    > quickly.
    >
    > Aren't you the man from Breadbox? My main reason to try my hand at the GEOS
    > SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy, something
    > like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with NDO
    > 3.2a.
    >
    > Jim

  4. Re: GEOS SDK

    "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    news:6e6Ra.103420$Io.8896290@newsread2.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    >My main reason to try my hand at the GEOS
    > SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy,

    something
    > like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with NDO
    > 3.2a.
    >
    > Jim

    Don't waste your time. It won't work with the present system. Folks that
    are very familiar with coding for GEOS can't do it.

  5. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    Well since you mentioned it, how will the future Geos32 compare to the
    present? The only improvements I would like to see are tables in the wp, and
    updated web/email functionality. Even the dos Arachne (misspelled?) browser
    does a better job displaying HTML and graphics than the browser in NDO 3.2a.

    Also does this mean that the cost of the current Ensemble will be reduced to
    a more reasonable amount with the development of Geos32? That's the only
    reason I haven't upgraded so far, $99.00 is way to much to pay for a dos app
    these days.

    Jim

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Well, to program in Geos you'll need to know either C or Assembly. All
    > the guts of Geos (including the major office apps) is written in
    > Assembly. The vast majority of 3rd party apps are written in C with a
    > layer of extra Geos keywords and object oriented stuff added to it.
    >
    > And I agree that the hardest part of learning a new programming language
    > is the syntax. After all - most programming is just managing variables,
    > loops and branches.
    >
    > Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    > done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    > Geos32 gets here.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >

    > James Lawrie wrote:
    >
    > > Howdy,

    > [snip]
    >

    > > No, C is far to strange for me to learn I've tried it once and I was

    lost.
    > > Kinda like learning a foreign lanuage - had no luck at that either. I

    think
    > > the hardest part is the syntax. Pascal was like dBase and I picked it up
    > > quickly.
    > >
    > > Aren't you the man from Breadbox? My main reason to try my hand at the

    GEOS
    > > SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy,

    something
    > > like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with

    NDO
    > > 3.2a.
    > >
    > > Jim

  6. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    It was just a thought, I'm unemployed at the moment so I figured it would be
    a good way to pass the time.

    Jim

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    > news:6e6Ra.103420$Io.8896290@newsread2.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > >My main reason to try my hand at the GEOS
    > > SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy,

    > something
    > > like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with

    NDO
    > > 3.2a.
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Don't waste your time. It won't work with the present system. Folks that
    > are very familiar with coding for GEOS can't do it.

  7. Re: GEOS SDK

    "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    news:PtlRa.5491$Mc.465268@newsread1.prod.itd.earth link.net...
    > Howdy,
    >
    > Well since you mentioned it, how will the future Geos32 compare to the
    > present?

    Here we go again!!!

    I am waiting anxiously as John addresses your question about GEOS32.

  8. Re: GEOS SDK

    why not just build a computer with a hardware mp3 player chip (ie: add
    an mp3 chip to the global pc).. then program for geos a method of
    controlling a hardware mp3 player with contorls like stop, play fast
    forwad reverse, skip, record, etc), just like geos cd player software
    controls music CDS played in pc cdrom drives.

    John Howard wrote:

    > Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    > done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    > Geos32 gets here.
    >
    > John ;-)

  9. Re: GEOS SDK

    Well, the whole idea behind Geos32 is to remove restrictions which
    mostly impact web browsing - basically under the hood stuff. So Geos32
    will likely see an improved browser and other internet apps, but not
    much change to the rest ot the apps.

    John ;-)

    James Lawrie wrote:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > Well since you mentioned it, how will the future Geos32 compare to the
    > present? The only improvements I would like to see are tables in the wp, and
    > updated web/email functionality. Even the dos Arachne (misspelled?) browser
    > does a better job displaying HTML and graphics than the browser in NDO 3.2a.
    >
    > Also does this mean that the cost of the current Ensemble will be reduced to
    > a more reasonable amount with the development of Geos32? That's the only
    > reason I haven't upgraded so far, $99.00 is way to much to pay for a dos app
    > these days.
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "John Howard" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Jim,
    >>
    >>Well, to program in Geos you'll need to know either C or Assembly. All
    >>the guts of Geos (including the major office apps) is written in
    >>Assembly. The vast majority of 3rd party apps are written in C with a
    >>layer of extra Geos keywords and object oriented stuff added to it.
    >>
    >>And I agree that the hardest part of learning a new programming language
    >>is the syntax. After all - most programming is just managing variables,
    >>loops and branches.
    >>
    >>Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    >>done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    >>Geos32 gets here.
    >>
    >>John ;-)
    >>

    >>James Lawrie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Howdy,
    >>>

    >>[snip]
    >>

    >>>No, C is far to strange for me to learn I've tried it once and I was
    >>>

    > lost.
    >
    >>>Kinda like learning a foreign lanuage - had no luck at that either. I
    >>>

    > think
    >
    >>>the hardest part is the syntax. Pascal was like dBase and I picked it up
    >>>quickly.
    >>>
    >>>Aren't you the man from Breadbox? My main reason to try my hand at the
    >>>

    > GEOS
    >
    >>>SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy,
    >>>

    > something
    >
    >>>like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with
    >>>

    > NDO
    >
    >>>3.2a.
    >>>
    >>>Jim

  10. Re: GEOS SDK

    What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of GEOS
    App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite apps
    brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    p'd off.

    If GEOS32 = "Jacked up memory manager to accomodate Internet Only Apps",
    THEN "Bad idea" !!!

    > Well, the whole idea behind Geos32 is to remove restrictions which
    > mostly impact web browsing - basically under the hood stuff. So Geos32
    > will likely see an improved browser and other internet apps, but not
    > much change to the rest ot the apps.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > James Lawrie wrote:
    >
    > > Howdy,
    > >
    > > Well since you mentioned it, how will the future Geos32 compare to the
    > > present? The only improvements I would like to see are tables in the wp,

    and
    > > updated web/email functionality. Even the dos Arachne (misspelled?)

    browser
    > > does a better job displaying HTML and graphics than the browser in NDO

    3.2a.

    > > Also does this mean that the cost of the current Ensemble will be

    reduced to
    > > a more reasonable amount with the development of Geos32? That's the only
    > > reason I haven't upgraded so far, $99.00 is way to much to pay for a dos

    app
    > > these days.
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > "John Howard" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi Jim,
    > >>
    > >>Well, to program in Geos you'll need to know either C or Assembly. All
    > >>the guts of Geos (including the major office apps) is written in
    > >>Assembly. The vast majority of 3rd party apps are written in C with a
    > >>layer of extra Geos keywords and object oriented stuff added to it.
    > >>
    > >>And I agree that the hardest part of learning a new programming language
    > >>is the syntax. After all - most programming is just managing variables,
    > >>loops and branches.
    > >>
    > >>Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    > >>done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    > >>Geos32 gets here.
    > >>
    > >>John ;-)

    > >>[snip]

    > > lost.

    > > think

    up

    > > GEOS

    > > something

    > > NDO

  11. Re: GEOS SDK

    No Pat, chip-a-roo-dee-doo, and hyubso like their primitive DTP apps just
    the way they are. NO CHANGES! Hey, did somebody move my cheese?!?!
    I_HATE_PROGRESS!!!!

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of

    GEOS
    > App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    > Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite apps
    > brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    > p'd off.
    >
    > If GEOS32 = "Jacked up memory manager to accomodate Internet Only Apps",
    > THEN "Bad idea" !!!
    >

    > "John Howard" wrote in message
    > > Well, the whole idea behind Geos32 is to remove restrictions which
    > > mostly impact web browsing - basically under the hood stuff. So Geos32
    > > will likely see an improved browser and other internet apps, but not
    > > much change to the rest ot the apps.
    > >
    > > John ;-)
    > >
    > > James Lawrie wrote:
    > >
    > > > Howdy,
    > > >
    > > > Well since you mentioned it, how will the future Geos32 compare to the
    > > > present? The only improvements I would like to see are tables in the

    wp,
    > and
    > > > updated web/email functionality. Even the dos Arachne (misspelled?)

    > browser
    > > > does a better job displaying HTML and graphics than the browser in NDO

    > 3.2a.
    > > >
    > > > Also does this mean that the cost of the current Ensemble will be

    > reduced to
    > > > a more reasonable amount with the development of Geos32? That's the

    only
    > > > reason I haven't upgraded so far, $99.00 is way to much to pay for a

    dos
    > app
    > > > these days.
    > > >
    > > > Jim
    > > >
    > > > "John Howard" wrote in message

    All

    language

    variables,

    until

    > > > lost.

    > > > think

    > up

    the

    > > > GEOS

    > > > something

    > > > NDO

  12. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    Now that I have Warp running again on a new motherboard it has become a mute
    issue. Who knows, when they release GEOS32 maybe they'll release a new 32
    bit SDK.

    I'm going to play around with rexx in Warp, It's supposed to be C like. I
    can handle structured programming, but the one time I did try learning C I
    was lost. Turbo Pascal was a lot easier to figure out, plus the book had
    good examples.

    Jim

    "Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message
    > James Lawrie schrieb:
    > >
    > > Howdy,
    > >
    > > > The distribution from Nokia was set up as an installer to install
    > > > essentially the directory structure that is in the Zip from TvaKatter.
    > > >
    > > > I have not seen one for download. Back when Nokia was providing them
    > > > you would register and they would ship you the SDK on CD.

    > > Well that explanes why I keep having problems, keep getting registry

    errors
    > > because it's not installed. If it came on cd then someone should post

    the
    > > actual files instead of a zip.

    > The CD installer wasn't much more than a self-extracting ZIP. Just with
    > some framework.
    > Anyway, there are some infos about which environment variables to set
    > (path for the tools, root-dir location, COM port settings etc.)
    > It really isn't much for the basic work. If it comes to developing for
    > the Communicator instead for plain PC GEOS, then there are a few more
    > things to do.
    >
    > > No, C is far to strange for me to learn I've tried it once and I was

    lost.
    > > Kinda like learning a foreign lanuage - had no luck at that either. I

    think
    > > the hardest part is the syntax. Pascal was like dBase and I picked it up
    > > quickly.

    > C isn't too strange. Except for some additions, it is very similar to
    > Pascal. GEOS doesn't use C++ (with all the object modelling) but uses
    > its own (and IMHO easier) object model. Going from Pascal to C is really
    > easy. I guess you can write a plain C application just like a Pascal
    > without learning more than a few conventions to fit the C requirements.
    >
    > Grossibaer
    >
    > --
    > Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    > they are not.

  13. Re: GEOS SDK

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:26:15 UTC, "James Lawrie"
    wrote:

    > Now that I have Warp running again on a new motherboard

    So I have to ask...... why this?

    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  14. Re: GEOS SDK

    I found a place on the web that was selling older versions of Delphi for
    less than $10.00 so I will probably get one to play with. Side note - I have
    found several OS/2 apps that are written with Virtual Pascal, to include a
    MP3 player.

    Jim

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > If I'm not mistaken, you can use Delphi to make GEOS apps??
    >
    > "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    > news:W23Sa.108946$Io.9311275@newsread2.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > > Howdy,
    > >
    > > I thought Pascal was older than that. Anyway I lost my copy years ago

    when
    > > the disk went bad, I had considered using Delphi before and now I know

    the
    > > same guy developed it I just may try it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > > If you like Pascal, you need to read the bio of the Danish compiler

    guru
    > > who
    > > > designed Turbo Pascal:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Hejlsberg
    > > >
    > > > If you want to read more about him, check out this interview:
    > > >
    > > > http://windows.oreilly.com/news/hejlsberg_0800.html
    > > >

    > > > "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    > > > news:rm%Ra.10265$Mc.733143@newsread1.prod.itd.eart hlink.net...

    become
    > > > mute

    new
    > > 32

    > like.

    learning

    > had

    > install
    > > > TvaKatter.

    providing
    > > > them

    > registry

    > > post

    > > with

    > set

    > for

    > more

    > was

    > either.

    picked
    > > it
    > > > up

    > uses

    > > really

    Pascal

    > > requirements.

    > > because

  15. Re: GEOS SDK

    I bought into OS/2 in 1992 with 2.0 and stayed with it until Warp. Now that
    I have decided to go retro on my older machines it's a far better choice for
    dos and Win 3.1 apps. With Fixpaks it supports most current hardware and
    large disk >8gig. No other dos that I know of does that, and WINOS2 is far
    more stable on my machines. I just received another copy of Warp Connect
    (Blue) for less than $10.00 of eBay. So far I've had NDO, MPXPlay, Netscape,
    and IBMWorks running concurrently with no ill effects. Like the old say goes
    "a better dos than dos, and a better windows than windows". I never did get
    NDO to function with NT 4, and with Windows 98SE it was to unstable to use.

    Jim

    "Doug Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:26:15 UTC, "James Lawrie"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Now that I have Warp running again on a new motherboard

    > So I have to ask...... why this?

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Doug
    >
    > **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  16. Re: GEOS SDK

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:41:57 GMT, "James Lawrie"
    wrote:

    >I found a place on the web that was selling older versions of Delphi for
    >less than $10.00 so I will probably get one to play with. Side note - I have
    >found several OS/2 apps that are written with Virtual Pascal, to include a
    >MP3 player.

    Borland are giving away the personal version of Delphi and Kylix (Delphi for
    Linux). You can download it from the website. It has a few useful features
    disabled though so you could be better off with an earlier full version.

    You can't write GEOS apps with Delphi though :-)

    Ray Greene.

  17. Re: GEOS SDK

    "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    news:zvgSa.109765$Io.9398958@newsread2.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > I never did get NDO to function with NT 4,

    I have to chuckle. Geoworks switched to Windows NT as the development
    platform for GEOS development, which was inherited by New Deal, for NDO, and
    was likewise inherited by BBX, for BBX Ensemble.

  18. Re: GEOS SDK

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:56:31 UTC, "James Lawrie"
    wrote:

    > I bought into OS/2 in 1992 with 2.0 and stayed with it until Warp.

    Some of us never left.

    My comment was asking why you were using "OutHouse,LookOut,etc" to
    post that you were using OS/2.

    --
    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  19. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    > "James Lawrie" spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >I bought into OS/2 in 1992 with 2.0 and stayed with it until Warp. Now

    that
    > >I have decided to go retro on my older machines it's a far better choice
    > >for dos and Win 3.1 apps. With Fixpaks it supports most current hardware
    > >and large disk >8gig.

    > FWIW, Warp 4 supported large SCSI disks out of the box. :-)

    I was under the impression that Warp 4 had the same limitations with >8.4
    without FP6 and IDEDASD installed. Warp Connect is as high as I plan to go
    for now.

    > >(Blue) for less than $10.00 of eBay. So far I've had NDO, MPXPlay,
    > >Netscape, and IBMWorks running concurrently with no ill effects.

    > Netscape? Why? I tend to bounce between Firebird/Mozilla 0.6 or Links
    > 0.96 myself. That might not be retro enough, though. ;-)

    Because it was the link I found that had 128bit encryption and I use almost
    the same version of Netscape on my G4 running OS9. It's also lighter to
    download (slow dial-up connection) than Mozilla.

    > BTW, the QuickView Pro multimedia viewer runs quite well in a VDM:
    >
    > http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/

    I haven't tried that one yet. I switched to Z! player last night and since
    it's a OS/2 app It actually works better in an OS/2 window than MPXPlay in a
    dos window.

    Jim

  20. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:56:31 UTC, "James Lawrie"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I bought into OS/2 in 1992 with 2.0 and stayed with it until Warp.

    > Some of us never left.
    >
    > My comment was asking why you were using "OutHouse,LookOut,etc" to
    > post that you were using OS/2.

    I was loyal OS/2 user until I read the new service agreement that was in my
    copy of Warp. In 1995 I had no internet access and I survived OS/2 2.0, OS/2
    for Windows, and OS/2 2.11 by the free IBM tech support. When they switched
    to the free 90 days and then pay, I had to move to windows.

    Now I have to admit that yes I do use IE/Outlook Express for my email
    client. I do most of my communicating online from my command console (Lazy
    Boy) in the living room and since my laptop only functions with Me I'm
    pretty much forced to use Microsoft products. Besides Outlook is one of the
    best email/newsreaders going for the average person.

    When I'm in my computer room I usally use my main computer running NT 4 and
    IE/Outlook. About the only time I connect my Warp box is to download files
    needed for it. Email and Newsgroups are not one of Netscapes finer
    attributes.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast