GEOS SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS SDK - GEOS ; Most important for me: Viability = Gets the job done with the fewest needed resources. So it isn't possible to say take that or the other for all. Andreas "Pat" wrote in message news:bR_Ta.70175$3o3.4702278@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > > "C BLANK II" wrote ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: GEOS SDK

    "Pat" wrote in message

    > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > ***From: "Pat"

    > > Viability = Gets the job done well with ease and simplicity at a

    > reasonable
    > > price. Sounds like GEOS to me most of the time.

    > Viability = Gets the job done beyond well with ease and simplicity at a
    > reasonable price (Bundled free new PCs). Sounds like Windows XP to me, for
    > all occasions.

  2. Re: GEOS SDK

    GEOS is very save !!!

    There are no known holes which can be attacked by the internet and new DOS
    virus won't come along.

    Andreas

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Right. If you don't care about ABS, airbags, A/C, cruise control, vastly
    > improved, (SAFETY), steering, suspension then by all means use a death

    trap.
    > Why not just forget cars. Using your inane analogy, a mule would work.

    BTW,
    > the 55 MPH has been gone for quite awhile. 65 MPH with many places 70 -

    75.
    > I can't really believe the completely and utterly stupid concepts you've
    > posted. Total stupidity.
    >
    > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > > On 24 Jul 2003 05:21:13 GMT, cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II) wrote:
    > >

    > > >Those old Model T Fords offered so much to their proud owners. Why

    would
    > > >ever need anything better. Sure, there could be a few improvements,

    like
    > > >maybe the comfort of the ride, but the Model T does so much. ROTFL!
    > > >

    > > >***
    > > >
    > > >Bad analogy.

    > > Actually, not a bad one at all. It gets you from A to B. If you don't
    > > give a damn about air conditioning, ABS, airbags and all that modern
    > > stuff and if - above all - you happen to love your old Ford Model T,
    > > there is no reason why you shouldn't drive it. The low 55mph speed
    > > limit in the States makes faster and stronger cars useless anyway.
    > >

    > > Closer to reality: I still ove my good old Trabant 601. It runs like
    > > clockwork. The only reason I bought another car and keep this one in
    > > the garage is that I would like to preserve it as a classic (here is
    > > where the analogy ends: software does not physically wear out).
    > >

    > > Holger

  3. Re: GEOS SDK

    Java ? Hmmm, I have programmed SSI with Java. They had still problems with
    uninitialized references where concurrency was used. A real bug. Performance
    and memory eater at best. Only with JNI compiled version you could get some
    real speed. And this on SUN servers with 4 processors and 2GB RAM.

    A version in C/C++ would need 1 processor and 128MB RAM to do the same. And
    there are similar good frameworks and API's around.

    Andreas

    "Pat" wrote in message

    > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > ***From: "Pat"

    > > Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    > Improvements steps. Please keep repeating that. Improvement steps.
    > Improvement steps. I think you are ready to wake up and smell the Java.

  4. Re: GEOS SDK

    If you have a PC resource problem, then GEOS is always the best choice. I've
    never denied that. What I think is plain stupid is putting GEOS on a PC that
    has tons of resources and then say "Hey, look how few of these resources
    GEOS uses, what a waste the extra horse power is on this big fat PC!" The
    intelligent thing is to use an OS that is the best fit for the PC you are
    using. Since Windows does just about anything you can do on a Personal
    Computer, its the best overall choice for any PC that can support it.

    "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > Most important for me:
    >
    > Viability = Gets the job done with the fewest needed resources. So it

    isn't
    > possible to say take that or the other for all.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > "Pat" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > > ***From: "Pat"

    > > > Viability = Gets the job done well with ease and simplicity at a

    > > reasonable
    > > > price. Sounds like GEOS to me most of the time.

    > > Viability = Gets the job done beyond well with ease and simplicity at a
    > > reasonable price (Bundled free new PCs). Sounds like Windows XP to me,

    for
    > > all occasions.

  5. Re: GEOS SDK

    Double entendre. I was referring to Java as it refers to Coffee, as in
    "Wake up and smell the Coffee (Java)"

    http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/java/world.html

    See, nothing to do with James Gosling's baby.

    > Java ? Hmmm, I have programmed SSI with Java. They had still problems with
    > uninitialized references where concurrency was used. A real bug.

    Performance
    > and memory eater at best. Only with JNI compiled version you could get

    some
    > real speed. And this on SUN servers with 4 processors and 2GB RAM.
    >
    > A version in C/C++ would need 1 processor and 128MB RAM to do the same.

    And
    > there are similar good frameworks and API's around.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > "Pat" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > > ***From: "Pat"

    > > > Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    > > Improvements steps. Please keep repeating that. Improvement steps.
    > > Improvement steps. I think you are ready to wake up and smell the Java.

  6. Re: GEOS SDK

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Since Windows does just about anything you can do on a Personal
    > >Computer, its the best overall choice for any PC that can support it.

    > Ah, but most generalized desktop operating systems fit that definition.
    >
    > Even OS/2. :-)

    Dick, go to IBM's web site and configure a few laptops and desktop systems.
    I just did. The OS they option is Windows 2000, XP Home and XP Pro, that's
    it. So even IBM, the OS/2 dudes, considers OS/2 not the right fit for their
    own lap/desk[tops]. Linus is the OS they push for servers and OS/2 Warp is
    on a few niche legacy servers.

    > Factor in things like "cost", and Windows isn't so obvious a choice, at
    > least for those technically aware enough to take advantage of those OS
    > alternatives which are available at low cost.

    I factor in the cost and no other desktop OS has the full range. Just about
    everything in APP LAND is Windows. Even Linux blew it on the desktop and is
    just hanging on to some server business.

  7. Re: GEOS SDK

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    newsT6I/oHpvqfe092yn@visi.com...

    > Availability has nothing to do with functionality. Your comment more
    > or less stated that only Windows does just about everything, and I say
    > your comment is based on a false assumption, and that the users of
    > other OSes can do everything that Windows users can do.

    Any properly designed multitasking OS that supports a large memory model is
    a possible contender for today's ne PCs. Windows and Linux are your two
    prime choices, IMO. Why? They are the only two that have a large enough
    following to have accumulated sufficient support, drivers, and apps to make
    them potentially viable. An OS needs more than the ability to service an
    applications needs (eg. Drawing, Networking, I/O, et al), because BeOS, NeXT
    and a bunch of other worthy candidates would be on the list, too. There are
    more great PC kernels designed over the years that could have made it, but
    fizzled out. Some are out there as niche OS. Many of these are not very
    general purpose enough. Its more than the OS' kernel, its more than the
    design, it has to do with SUPPORT, APP_BASE and HARDWARE_FIT. Right now, the
    new PCs that we are seeing have been designed expressly for Windows in mind.
    If some other OS wants to fit their software to a new PC, they have to
    follow the Windows hardware model. They have to offer a broad base of driver
    support. They have to run a wide swatch of apps. They need ubiquitous
    support in the world. That leaves Windows and Linux. The later has lost its
    Window (no pun intended) of opportunity and is really a server OS, except
    for a minority of desktop users. Every other OS does meet the criteria,
    REGARDLESS of how good they are, how capable they are, yada yada yada. This
    includes the very worthy OS/2, which never managed to gain much momentum and
    fizzled out in trying to maintain parity with Windows app interfaces (yeah,
    its great with Windows 3.x apps, woopie!). IBM finally decided the tens of
    millions poured into OS/2 was foolish and it now pushes Windows on the
    desktop, like all the other major companies. Hollywood may be crawling with
    tons of aspiring actors and actresses, but few will ever make it. After the
    dust settles, only Windows remains standing and victorious. There is only
    enough room on the throne for one King.

    > Sometimes it requires different software, but the general function of
    > "word processing" is more important to most folks than "running

    Word".Ahhhhhh, Word Processing. The mantra of the Geo Nuts! Everyone wanna
    be doin Word Processing. ROTFL!

    > Also, if you knew anything about the sometimes contentious relationships
    > between the various divisions within IBM, you'd know your example was
    > doubly meaningless. The PCCO wouldn't preload OS/2 even during OS/2's
    > height pf popularity because the PCCO's focus is to move the maximum
    > number of PC's, not to market/push products from other IBM divisions.

    The classic, excue about:

    "X could have been a contender" (Fill in X with your loser OS name)

    > What can Windows do that the general user wants to do and that I can't
    > do under Linux, OS/2, or the MacOS?

    We're talking PC. Driver support is enough of a reason, for starters. The
    Mac vs PC is a separate discussion and we can start a thread devoted to
    that if you like.

    > The growth rate Linux is experiencing in the server market is roughly
    > three times that of Windows. Pretty damned good for "hanging on"...

    Linux gowth on servers is definitely impressive. Then again, any growth for
    a small base will look great.

    > Also, Linux is just starting to make penetration in the non-hobbyist
    > desktop space. It's a growth area. Just wait a few years until the
    > Linux applications under development mature, and we'll see just how
    > good Microsoft is at dealing with real competition coming from outside
    > the traditional marketplace.

    Linux tower od Babel has killed it on the desktop. Sad!

  8. Re: GEOS SDK

    cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II) wrote in

    > Hey, Garrett. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

    Change of ISP's a few times, and I was a bit lazy about trying to find out
    what the news server was for each ISP. Recently gave google groups a try,
    and it was a pain, so got off my lazy hind end and called the ISP for the
    news group server. :-)

    -Garrett

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3