GEOS SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS SDK - GEOS ; On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:06:48 GMT, "Pat" wrote: >What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of GEOS >App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using >Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

  1. Re: GEOS SDK

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:06:48 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of GEOS
    >App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    >Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite apps
    >brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    >p'd off.
    >
    >If GEOS32 = "Jacked up memory manager to accomodate Internet Only Apps",
    >THEN "Bad idea" !!!

    Perhaps you should restrain your aggressive languaga a bit?

    As I understand it: The Onternet apps are the ones most affected by
    the memory limitations and are therefore updated first.

    If and when the time is there to improve the other apps or introduce
    new ones (e.g. MP3 player), I am sure it will be done.

    Holger

  2. Re: GEOS SDK

    Pure speculation. IMHO, BBX is trying to stay afloat selling into their
    bread and butter contracts, which translates into NO GEOS. This GEOS thing
    is just an easy way to make money for virtually little, if any, programming
    effort. Unless their President is independently wealthy and running a
    charitable organization, BBX needs revenue to stay afloat. If it came down
    to where the cuts are to be made, where do you think they will happen? Hint:
    GEOS development.

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:06:48 GMT, "Pat" wrote:
    >
    > >What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of

    GEOS
    > >App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    > >Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite

    apps
    > >brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    > >p'd off.
    > >
    > >If GEOS32 = "Jacked up memory manager to accomodate Internet Only Apps",
    > >THEN "Bad idea" !!!

    > Perhaps you should restrain your aggressive languaga a bit?
    >

    > As I understand it: The Onternet apps are the ones most affected by
    > the memory limitations and are therefore updated first.
    >
    > If and when the time is there to improve the other apps or introduce
    > new ones (e.g. MP3 player), I am sure it will be done.
    >

    > Holger

  3. Re: GEOS SDK

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > Pure speculation. IMHO, BBX is trying to stay afloat selling into their
    > bread and butter contracts, which translates into NO GEOS. This GEOS thing
    > is just an easy way to make money for virtually little, if any,

    programming
    > effort. Unless their President is independently wealthy and running a
    > charitable organization, BBX needs revenue to stay afloat. If it came down
    > to where the cuts are to be made, where do you think they will happen?

    Hint:
    > GEOS development.

    100% correct. GEOS is a freebie for BBX. There are investing ZERO dollars
    into it and simply making whatever they can from it. Simple. Several years
    ago some work was done on 32-bit GEOS. At best what BBX is planning to do is
    a 1/2-assed version of that. And I doubt that. BBX is 2 guys and a bucket.
    They have nothing. They produce nothing. Look at breadbox.com. Same old
    tired apps for years, and years, and years. NOTHING new of any value. A
    1/2-assed FTP app!!!! WHOWeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

  4. Re: GEOS SDK

    I hope the two guys maintain their resumes by not listing their prowess as
    GEOS programmers, else, it could be hazardous to their careers.

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > Pure speculation. IMHO, BBX is trying to stay afloat selling into their
    > > bread and butter contracts, which translates into NO GEOS. This GEOS

    thing
    > > is just an easy way to make money for virtually little, if any,

    > programming
    > > effort. Unless their President is independently wealthy and running a
    > > charitable organization, BBX needs revenue to stay afloat. If it came

    down
    > > to where the cuts are to be made, where do you think they will happen?

    > Hint:
    > > GEOS development.

    > 100% correct. GEOS is a freebie for BBX. There are investing ZERO dollars
    > into it and simply making whatever they can from it. Simple. Several

    years
    > ago some work was done on 32-bit GEOS. At best what BBX is planning to do

    is
    > a 1/2-assed version of that. And I doubt that. BBX is 2 guys and a bucket.
    > They have nothing. They produce nothing. Look at breadbox.com. Same old
    > tired apps for years, and years, and years. NOTHING new of any value. A
    > 1/2-assed FTP app!!!! WHOWeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

  5. Re: GEOS SDK

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 04:33:16 UTC, "James Lawrie"
    wrote:

    > Now I have to admit that yes I do use IE/Outlook Express for my email

    condolences, before I was forced to switch to it at work, I used The
    Bat!.

    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  6. Re: GEOS SDK

    ***From: "Pat"
    Date: Thu, Jul 17, 2003 21:06 EDT
    What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of GEOS
    App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite apps
    brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    p'd off.
    ***

    Not me. The only change I need is the ability to handle more graphics before
    the occaisional KR09 message. Internet would be good, if I ever change from
    what I use now. Apparantly, Pat, you make up a lot of stuff. Isn't that what
    the typical trouble maker does?

    What I really need is the time to learn how to program.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: GEOS SDK

    James Lawrie schrieb:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > Now that I have Warp running again on a new motherboard it has become a mute
    > issue. Who knows, when they release GEOS32 maybe they'll release a new 32
    > bit SDK.

    You know that GEOS is running without problems under Warp?

    > I'm going to play around with rexx in Warp, It's supposed to be C like. I
    > can handle structured programming, but the one time I did try learning C I
    > was lost. Turbo Pascal was a lot easier to figure out, plus the book had
    > good examples.

    There are many good books out there for C/C++.
    And I learned it without any book at all, just a friend who was already
    programming in C++ a bit and Turbo Pascal (1.x) knowledge.
    The 3.1 DOS IDE of Borland C++ is a good help too.

    Grossibaer
    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  8. Re: GEOS SDK

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Bob"

    > Bob, Bob, Bob, good improvements are always useful, but GEOS provides so

    much,
    > a lot doesn't need to be done to the core apps.

    Those old Model T Fords offered so much to their proud owners. Why would
    ever need anything better. Sure, there could be a few improvements, like
    maybe the comfort of the ride, but the Model T does so much. ROTFL!

  9. Re: GEOS SDK

    Apparently, Chip, you have a low threshold of what you accept as viable
    software in the 21st Century.

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Pat"
    > Date: Thu, Jul 17, 2003 21:06 EDT
    > What????? CBLANKII and Hyubso are crying right now. They want loads of

    GEOS
    > App changes, drivers, etc. They already have an advanced browser using
    > Windows (IE, Netscape, Opera) and all they want is their Office Suite apps
    > brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. They are going to be
    > p'd off.
    > ***
    >
    > Not me. The only change I need is the ability to handle more graphics

    before
    > the occaisional KR09 message. Internet would be good, if I ever change

    from
    > what I use now. Apparantly, Pat, you make up a lot of stuff. Isn't that

    what
    > the typical trouble maker does?
    >
    > What I really need is the time to learn how to program.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  10. Re: GEOS SDK

    ***From: "Pat"
    Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003 10:50 EDT
    Apparently, Chip, you have a low threshold of what you accept as viable
    software in the 21st Century.

    ***

    Viability = Gets the job done well with ease and simplicity at a reasonable
    price. Sounds like GEOS to me most of the time.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  11. Re: GEOS SDK

    ***From: "Pat"
    Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003 10:49 EDT

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Bob"

    > Bob, Bob, Bob, good improvements are always useful, but GEOS provides so

    much,
    > a lot doesn't need to be done to the core apps.

    Those old Model T Fords offered so much to their proud owners. Why would
    ever need anything better. Sure, there could be a few improvements, like
    maybe the comfort of the ride, but the Model T does so much. ROTFL!

    ***

    Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  12. Re: GEOS SDK

    Have you checked the prices of model T's lately? A new Maybach is a better
    buy.:-) Marc

  13. Re: GEOS SDK

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Pat"
    > Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003 10:50 EDT

    > Viability = Gets the job done well with ease and simplicity at a

    reasonable
    > price. Sounds like GEOS to me most of the time.

    Viability = Gets the job done perfectlly with ease and simplicity at a
    reasonable price. Sounds like Windows to me all of the time.

  14. Re: GEOS SDK

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Pat"

    > Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    Improvements steps. Please keep repeating that. Improvement steps.
    Improvement steps. I think you are ready to wake up and smell the Java.

  15. Re: GEOS SDK

    Right. If you don't care about ABS, airbags, A/C, cruise control, vastly
    improved, (SAFETY), steering, suspension then by all means use a death trap.
    Why not just forget cars. Using your inane analogy, a mule would work. BTW,
    the 55 MPH has been gone for quite awhile. 65 MPH with many places 70 - 75.
    I can't really believe the completely and utterly stupid concepts you've
    posted. Total stupidity.

    > On 24 Jul 2003 05:21:13 GMT, cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II) wrote:
    >

    > >Those old Model T Fords offered so much to their proud owners. Why would
    > >ever need anything better. Sure, there could be a few improvements, like
    > >maybe the comfort of the ride, but the Model T does so much. ROTFL!
    > >

    > >***
    > >
    > >Bad analogy.

    > Actually, not a bad one at all. It gets you from A to B. If you don't
    > give a damn about air conditioning, ABS, airbags and all that modern
    > stuff and if - above all - you happen to love your old Ford Model T,
    > there is no reason why you shouldn't drive it. The low 55mph speed
    > limit in the States makes faster and stronger cars useless anyway.
    >

    > Closer to reality: I still ove my good old Trabant 601. It runs like
    > clockwork. The only reason I bought another car and keep this one in
    > the garage is that I would like to preserve it as a classic (here is
    > where the analogy ends: software does not physically wear out).
    >

    > Holger

  16. Re: GEOS SDK

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Pat"

    > Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    Improvements are good, Chip. Do you remember that far back when GEOS Office
    Apps were improved. Hmmmm. 8 years, I do believe.

  17. Re: GEOS SDK

    ***> ***From: "Pat"

    > Bad analogy. Too many improvement steps in between then and now.

    Improvements steps. Please keep repeating that. Improvement steps.
    Improvement steps. I think you are ready to wake up and smell the Java.
    ***

    Not enough improvement steps between GEOS and Windows for basic productivity
    purposes.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  18. Re: GEOS SDK

    "Bob" wrote in
    news:rlZTa.122536$wk6.32348@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att. net:

    > Exactly. Same with PC OS's. GEOS is a model T and there have been;
    > "Too many improvement steps in between then and now."

    But you must love this Model T, since you're still here with the other
    Model T owners. ;-)

    -Garrett

  19. Re: GEOS SDK

    ***Improvements are good, Chip. Do you remember that far back when GEOS Office
    Apps were improved. Hmmmm. 8 years, I do believe.
    ***

    Pat, I remember GEOS Personal Office Suite 1.2 modules, which I still use, and
    GeoWorks PRO. Big improvements with GEOS since then.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  20. Re: GEOS SDK

    Big Yawn!