Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS ; Just click, "Switch to classic view." Bam, standard Control Panel. Personally I LOVE the XP UI. Perhaps it is because I know how to use it? It is sooo much a better design then the "classic" 9x/2K UI, and soooo ...

  1. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Just click, "Switch to classic view." Bam, standard Control Panel.
    Personally I LOVE the XP UI. Perhaps it is because I know how to use it? It
    is sooo much a better design then the "classic" 9x/2K UI, and soooo much
    more functional. But even compared to the ease of use of the 9x/2K UI, GEOS
    makes me shiver at its lack of functionality.

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003711511375917568@news1.teli a.com...
    > Well, I don't think the eyecandy is the worst part, it is how they

    "simplified"
    > the UI, especially the control panel, not only making it simpler, but less
    > functional, too, in the XP UI. I can also see the problems that the

    Microsoft
    > engineers have, when they now have to "strangle" Windows from a point

    where

    news:do4Pa.249871$jp.6945465@twister.southeast.rr. com...
    > > > At the risk of being flamed here, which seems pretty common, I
    > > > will say that my wife uses Ensemble 1.2 all the time, and was VERY
    > > > upset when I had to take it off our computer because we upgraded
    > > > to W2K and Ensemble 1.2 wouldn't run under it. I had to spend a
    > > > bunch of time to create a DOS partition with a dual boot option,
    > > > plus do the tweaks needed for a fast CPU, then move GEOS over to
    > > > the DOS partition, so that there would be peace and harmony in

    > my
    > > > family. Of course, now that Ensemble is back, I use it pretty
    > > > frequently too.....
    > > >
    > > > Sure would like to have an updated version of Ensemble that would
    > > > run properly in W2K without all the dual boot stuff, but I'll
    > > > settle for what works right now.
    > > >
    > > > Chip Reinhardt

    > using

    > back of a

    > good. :-)

    > years as

    interest
    > in

    grim

    departed.
    > BBX

    > is no

    skull
    > when

    world

    > puffing

    > frozen in

    abandoned
    > by

    > the Grim

    > in the

    this

    > users

    those
    > users

    > > --------------070603060103040004060708

    content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">

    > > Hi, Pat,

    > > I use both W2K and WinXP at work, don't see much difference between
    > > them, except I make WinXP run in classic Windows mode, can't stand all
    > > the eye candy and useless stuff in WinXP.  And I've actually never

    > had
    > > any problem running DOS, Win 3.x or Win98/ME apps under W2K, except, of
    > > course, for my ancient Ensemble 1.2!

    > > Chip Reinhardt

    > > Pat wrote:

    > > cite="midNuePa.48000$0v4.3270048@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net">

    content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">

    Good post, Chip. You're a real
    > > gentleman to accomodate your wife's PC needs. Maybe you can <wink,
    > > wink> coax her to use the Windows 2K platform in tiny amounts, she
    > > will become accustomed over time to appreciate its advantages in the
    > > 21st Century.

    Another point, if you don't mind. I
    > > am not sure where you got W2K, or if its used in a business or came
    > > with your PC, but Windows XP Pro, with SP1, is argueably a better
    > > choice. Right now, W2K Pro and WinXP Pro are very close in
    > > functionality, with W2K slightly ahead in enterprise networking.
    > > However, for the home users, I would pick WinXP over W2K, for its
    > > ability to embrace more Windows 98/ME applications. Its just a nit on
    > > my part, both OSs are excellent choices.

    > > style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); padding-right: 0px;
    padding-left:
    > 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">

    "Chip Reinhardt" <
    href="mailto:rmlaw@nc.rr.com">rmlaw@nc.rr.com>

    href="news:do4Pa.249871$jp.6945465@twister.southeast.rr. com">news:do4Pa.2498

    Subject: Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    href="mailto:eMKOa.45655$3o3.3076101@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net">&lt

    href="news:20030708204651.03502.00000020@mb-m05.aol.com">news:20030708204651

    href="http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic">
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

    > > --------------070603060103040004060708--

  2. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    In news:KHBPa.36299$H17.10512@sccrnsc02,
    Bob wrote:
    | Just click, "Switch to classic view." Bam, standard Control Panel.
    | Personally I LOVE the XP UI. Perhaps it is because I know how to use
    | it? It is sooo much a better design then the "classic" 9x/2K UI, and
    | soooo much more functional. But even compared to the ease of use of
    | the 9x/2K UI, GEOS makes me shiver at its lack of functionality.

    ND's tweaking was pretty minimal, but there are a helluvalot fewer
    features, too, and it's targeted for a different set of users, so it's
    not really fair to compare them.

    That being said, I'm with Hans on this - I switched to "classic" view
    myself. I mean, I love XP and all, but the UI just doesn't do it for me.
    OTOH, I tweak the classic view pretty hard, too, so maybe it's just me.

    Tom

  3. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:hwCPa.41832$C83.3301863@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > In news:KHBPa.36299$H17.10512@sccrnsc02,
    >
    > That being said, I'm with Hans on this - I switched to "classic" view
    > myself. I mean, I love XP and all, but the UI just doesn't do it for me.
    > OTOH, I tweak the classic view pretty hard, too, so maybe it's just me.
    >
    > Tom

    Ain't it nice to have the choice? I'll stay with the XP UI. Ton's of
    functionality, and ease of use.

  4. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Which verson of XP do you use? Home or Professional?

    BR,
    Hans

    Bob wrote:
    > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > news:hwCPa.41832$C83.3301863@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > > In news:KHBPa.36299$H17.10512@sccrnsc02,
    > >
    > > That being said, I'm with Hans on this - I switched to "classic" view
    > > myself. I mean, I love XP and all, but the UI just doesn't do it for

    me.
    > > OTOH, I tweak the classic view pretty hard, too, so maybe it's just

    me.

    > > Tom

    > Ain't it nice to have the choice? I'll stay with the XP UI. Ton's of
    > functionality, and ease of use.

  5. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Yes.

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003712612381721504@news1.teli a.com...
    > Which verson of XP do you use? Home or Professional?
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > > news:hwCPa.41832$C83.3301863@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > > > In news:KHBPa.36299$H17.10512@sccrnsc02,
    > > >
    > > > That being said, I'm with Hans on this - I switched to "classic" view
    > > > myself. I mean, I love XP and all, but the UI just doesn't do it for

    > me.
    > > > OTOH, I tweak the classic view pretty hard, too, so maybe it's just

    > me.
    > > >
    > > > Tom

    > > Ain't it nice to have the choice? I'll stay with the XP UI. Ton's of
    > > functionality, and ease of use.

  6. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    how do the two differ other than in networking/being able to join domains?

    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > Which verson of XP do you use? Home or Professional?

  7. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Bob schrieb:

    > Just click, "Switch to classic view." Bam, standard Control Panel.
    > Personally I LOVE the XP UI. Perhaps it is because I know how to use it?

    Even rats can learn how to navigate in their maze. This doesn't make a
    maze the preferred organizational structure everywhere.

    Grossibaer
    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.