Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS ; Tom Accuosti wrote: > In news:QkmPa.255043$jp.7046573@twister.southeast.rr. com, > Chip Reinhardt wrote: > | Hi, Tom, > | > | Well, to be honest, Ensemble 1.2 ran very nicely on Win98x, and I > | didn't see the need to upgrade. ...

  1. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > In news:QkmPa.255043$jp.7046573@twister.southeast.rr. com,
    > Chip Reinhardt wrote:
    > | Hi, Tom,
    > |
    > | Well, to be honest, Ensemble 1.2 ran very nicely on Win98x, and I
    > | didn't see the need to upgrade. Plus, I liked Tetris in Ensemble
    > | 1.2, they got rid of it in later versions. With respect to the fixes
    > | for Ensemble under W2K, those fixes only applied to Ensemble 2.x, and
    > | wouldn't work for Ensemble 1.2, at least that's what I remember
    > | reading. I tried some of the fixes, but couldn't get them to work
    > | with W2K and Ensemble 1.2
    > |
    > | Why does my wife like Ensemble 1.2? Well, she really like the way
    > | GeoWrite works. She tried Wordperfect and Word, hated their
    > | complexity, and wanted to go back to the simplicity of GeoWrite. I
    > | was happy to accomodate.
    > |
    > | Oh, and my copy of Ensemble 1.2 is is on four 3.5" diskettes, not
    > | 5.25" floppies. I also have some additional diskettes for the
    > | optional Ensemble 1.2 font package and art packages.
    > |
    > | Chip Reinhardt
    >
    > Frankly, GeoWrite was the reason that I kept using GW for years after

    > went over to "the dark side" . It was easy to use, had lots of
    > features, multi-column layouts, lotsa fonts, WYSIWYG-friendly (remember
    > when that was important?). I did newsletters, menus, term papers, erotic
    > poetry (I was single then), and could save things with loge file names.
    > It was great!
    >
    > I managed to save the Tetris app and install it with 2.1, so I didn't
    > lose anything. I used it on and off until about 5 years ago, actually.
    > Word just aint as friendly for the stuff that I wanted to do. BUt my
    > all-time favorite was Lotus' Ami Pro - a few steps above GW in
    > functionality for the stuff that I was doing at the time.

    I can add, that Lotus Ami Pro (now WordPro) was and IS better than MS-Word,
    too! I was using it frequently in the early 90's. Came across it again some
    year ago, when a client running some thousand clients looked at "Smartsuite"
    as a replacement of MS-Office, it is still very impressive.

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    In news:NewsReader.1.0.2003711511184717568@news1.teli a.com,
    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    || In news:QkmPa.255043$jp.7046573@twister.southeast.rr. com,
    || Chip Reinhardt wrote:
    ||| Hi, Tom,
    ||| Well, to be honest, Ensemble 1.2 ran very nicely on Win98x, and I
    ||| didn't see the need to upgrade. Plus, I liked Tetris in Ensemble
    ||| 1.2, they got rid of it in later versions. With respect to the
    ||| fixes for Ensemble under W2K, those fixes only applied to Ensemble
    ||| 2.x, and wouldn't work for Ensemble 1.2, at least that's what I
    ||| remember reading. I tried some of the fixes, but couldn't get them
    ||| to work with W2K and Ensemble 1.2
    ||| Why does my wife like Ensemble 1.2? Well, she really like the way
    ||| GeoWrite works. She tried Wordperfect and Word, hated their
    ||| complexity, and wanted to go back to the simplicity of GeoWrite. I
    ||| was happy to accomodate.
    ||| Oh, and my copy of Ensemble 1.2 is is on four 3.5" diskettes, not
    ||| 5.25" floppies. I also have some additional diskettes for the
    ||| optional Ensemble 1.2 font package and art packages.
    ||| Chip Reinhardt
    || Frankly, GeoWrite was the reason that I kept using GW for years after
    || went over to "the dark side" . It was easy to use, had lots of
    || features, multi-column layouts, lotsa fonts, WYSIWYG-friendly
    || (remember when that was important?). I did newsletters, menus, term
    || papers, erotic poetry (I was single then), and could save things
    || with loge file names. It was great!
    || I managed to save the Tetris app and install it with 2.1, so I didn't
    || lose anything. I used it on and off until about 5 years ago,
    || actually. Word just aint as friendly for the stuff that I wanted to
    || do. BUt my all-time favorite was Lotus' Ami Pro - a few steps above
    || GW in functionality for the stuff that I was doing at the time.
    |
    | I can add, that Lotus Ami Pro (now WordPro) was and IS better than
    | MS-Word, too! I was using it frequently in the early 90's. Came
    | across it again some year ago, when a client running some thousand
    | clients looked at "Smartsuite" as a replacement of MS-Office, it is
    | still very impressive.
    |
    | BR,
    | Hans

    Yes, I've seen Lotus SmartSuite, and in fact, had a copy of it a few
    years ago that came with a PC, but WordPro isn't exactly the same as the
    old Ami. OTOH, it was still better than MS Word, and now I'm tempted to
    find that disk and install it .

    A few years ago I was teaching myself VBA, mainly for Excel, since I had
    been building spreadsheets for certain manufacturing processes. I tried
    converting those sheets to Lotus 123 and was horribly disappointed in
    all the stuff that didn't translate. I still find the Lotus UI to be
    nicer, and for some reason that program just looks prettier on the
    screen - colored tabs for different worksheets and more customization
    options for navigating large sheets. I'd still be using it, but I really
    need the more advanced programming options with Excel. Or at least, the
    VBA made it much easier to create worksheets to do what I wanted, and
    keep the other employees from screwing things up unintentionally.

    --
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread