geos on ppc - GEOS

This is a discussion on geos on ppc - GEOS ; is it possible to run geos/ndo on a windows ce handheld device?...

  1. geos on ppc

    is it possible to run geos/ndo on a windows ce handheld device?

  2. Re: geos on ppc

    dosman wrote:

    >is it possible to run geos/ndo on a windows ce handheld device?

    Yes, using PocketDOS (www.pocketdos.com), CGA/MCGA display only.

    -
    Ravin' Ray
    your friendly neighborhood paleontologist
    http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray
    "I'm a geologist who uses Geos and has a Geocities website!"

  3. Re: geos on ppc

    "dosman" wrote in message news:...
    > is it possible to run geos/ndo on a windows ce handheld device?

    Dear Sir,

    It is possible to run GEOS/NDO under PocketDOS on a Windows CE device.
    We have experimented with the NewDeal Office installation (3.1b) and
    have found the following:

    1) The NewDeal Office installation program tries to change a sector on
    the DOS boot drive. As PocketDOS boots from "ROM" and a read-only disk
    image, it is not possible for NDO installation to write to the
    PocketDOS boot drive, which causes it to fail. This seems to be a
    problem with ROM-DOS's critical error handler.
    2) NewDeal Office can be installed when booting PocketDOS from
    Microsoft DOS (see the tutorials on our website for instructions on
    how to install MS-DOS). It does not appear to be able to be installed
    under DR-DOS (OpenDOS). We have not tested other DOS versions.
    3) NewDeal Office can be installed to a folder or hard disk (image)
    under PocketDOS.
    4) If you are planning to use ROM-DOS once NDO is installed, then NDO
    MUST be installed to a hard disk or hard disk image. Failure to do so
    will cause a (seemingly harmless) error every time you exit NDO
    (appears to be same problem as [1] above).
    5) After running the install program (and before running SETUP), it is
    necessary to exit to DOS and modify the GEOS.INI file in the directory
    where NDO is installed. Add the following line to the [system]
    section:

    fs=msnet.geo

    6) PocketDOS must be configured to emulate a CGA display. NDO will not
    work correctly if PocketDOS (v1.06.0 and later) is configured to
    emulate an MCGA display .
    7) When running SETUP, select "CGA: 640x200 Mono" as your display
    device.
    8) When running SETUP, select "Generic Touch Screen" as your mouse
    device. It is very important not to attempt to use the mouse before
    doing this, as it will cause SETUP to fail.
    9) Once NDO is up and running, you can configure PocketDOS to provide
    EMS memory, and configure NDO to use EMS memory to improve
    performance.

    We have not been able to test other versions of NewDeal Office, but
    hopefully these instructions will work correctly with later versions
    too.

    Thank you for your interest.
    ---
    PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    http://www.pocketdos.com

  4. Re: geos on ppc

    what about dos emulators for palm powerd handhelds
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread