Best Network Interface Card for GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on Best Network Interface Card for GEOS - GEOS ; Hi again... I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less memory and which are capable to get loaded high. For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset. Used memory : 44'096 ...

  1. Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Hi again...

    I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
    memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
    For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

    Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

    The LSL.COM version 2.20:
    Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

    Any other data ?

    I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
    the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is a
    hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
    for this information.

    Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files on
    my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

    Sincerly

    Andreas

  2. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    In a nutshell, if the hardware works with DOS, the hardware works with GEOS.
    Simple enough?

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > These "lists" have been done over and over again.
    >
    > "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > > Hi again...
    > >
    > > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most

    > less
    > > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
    > > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.
    > >
    > > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes
    > >
    > > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
    > > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes
    > >
    > > Any other data ?
    > >
    > > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too

    (like
    > > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is

    > > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set

    especially
    > > for this information.
    > >
    > > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files

    > on
    > > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).
    > >
    > > Sincerly
    > >
    > > Andreas

  3. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Hi Andreas,

    Here is my report:

    NIC: CNET Pro 200 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Driver: DM9PCI.COM
    Used memory : 34'000 Bytes

    The LSL.COM version 2.20:
    Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

    BR,
    Hans

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > Hi again...
    >
    > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most

    less
    > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
    > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.
    >
    > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes
    >
    > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
    > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes
    >
    > Any other data ?
    >
    > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
    > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is

    > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
    > for this information.
    >
    > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files

    on
    > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).
    >
    > Sincerly
    >
    > Andreas

  4. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Ok, I forgot the driver name.
    Driver: CPQNF3.COM version 2.43 (Compaq Netelligent NetFlex-3 MLID)

    Andreas

    "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > Hi again...
    >
    > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most

    less
    > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
    > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.
    >
    > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes
    >
    > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
    > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes
    >
    > Any other data ?
    >
    > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
    > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is a
    > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
    > for this information.
    >
    > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files

    on
    > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).
    >
    > Sincerly
    >
    > Andreas

  5. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"
    wrote:

    >I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
    >memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

    I have 3 NICs

    Realtek 8029:
    pciodi.com MLID v6.00
    loaded high
    uses 8,512 bytes

    3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA:
    3c589.com MLID w/DME v2.20
    loaded high
    C000-C3FF is excluded in emm386
    uses 22.384 bytes

    SMC8013WP/A:
    smc8000.com v5.06
    loaded high
    DC00-DFFF is excluded in emm386
    uses 15.008 bytes

  6. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Hi Thomas,

    Unbelievable 8512 bytes for the ODI driver !! I hope that I will get one
    too. This are 35584 Bytes less than my one. Or only 25% for the same
    purpose. Your driver really only resides in the high memory ?

    Andreas

    "Thomas L. Christensen" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most

    less
    > >memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

    > I have 3 NICs
    >
    > Realtek 8029:
    > pciodi.com MLID v6.00
    > loaded high
    > uses 8,512 bytes
    >
    > 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA:
    > 3c589.com MLID w/DME v2.20
    > loaded high
    > C000-C3FF is excluded in emm386
    > uses 22.384 bytes
    >
    > SMC8013WP/A:
    > smc8000.com v5.06
    > loaded high
    > DC00-DFFF is excluded in emm386
    > uses 15.008 bytes

  7. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    3COM 3C905C-TX:
    3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
    loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
    uses 34'272 bytes

    Andreas

  8. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Hi Bob,

    I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
    have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. He
    allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
    DRDOS.

    Andreas

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > > 3COM 3C905C-TX:
    > > 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
    > > loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
    > > uses 34'272 bytes
    > >
    > > Andreas

    > Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH= or
    > DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

  9. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    << I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
    have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. >>

    Sometimes it is critical for the order in which the drivers are loaded -- you
    may have to play with the configuration a tad to manually "tweak" it.... The
    "automatic" loaders (DRDOS, IBM, MS, etc., sometimes simply take the quick/easy
    way to load the drivers -- and that may not be the most efficient. IMO.

    Ray

  10. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    do a mem /c /p and insure your loading via config.sys, autoexec.bat in
    descending order of memory usage. it could just be the order your loading
    that isn't allowing this device to go into the UMB's?

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
    > have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. He
    > allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
    > DRDOS.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > > > 3COM 3C905C-TX:
    > > > 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
    > > > loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
    > > > uses 34'272 bytes
    > > >
    > > > Andreas

    > > Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH= or
    > > DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

  11. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    I will try your advices. Thanks to all.

    Andreas

    "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
    > have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. He
    > allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
    > DRDOS.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > > > 3COM 3C905C-TX:
    > > > 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
    > > > loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
    > > > uses 34'272 bytes
    > > >
    > > > Andreas

    > > Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH= or
    > > DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

  12. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
    >>memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

    > I have 3 NICs
    >
    > Realtek 8029:
    > pciodi.com MLID v6.00
    > loaded high
    > uses 8,512 bytes

    I have some troble when I try to use this netcard on a AMD 2000+ on a
    chaintech motherbord.
    before I laod the driver:

    mem:
    D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

    654336 bytes total memory
    654336 bytes available for DOS
    633696 largest executable program size

    4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    4194304 bytes free EMS memory

    2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    2031616 bytes available XMS memory
    0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    DOS resident in High Memory Area
    High Memory Area in use

    After I have load the driver:

    D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>geosnet

    D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\LSL
    Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI v2.20 (960401)
    (c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

    The configuration file used was "D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\NET.CFG".
    Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4

    D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\pciodi.com
    Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet MLID v6.00 (960117)
    (C) Copyright 1993 - 1996 Realtek Semiconductor Co., LTD. All Rights
    Reserved.

    IRQ 10, Port E000, Node Address 403353CCC4 L
    Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
    Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode
    Board 2, Frame ETHERNET_802.2, LSB Mode
    Board 3, Frame ETHERNET_802.3, LSB Mode
    Board 4, Frame ETHERNET_SNAP, LSB Mode

    D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

    654336 bytes total memory
    654336 bytes available for DOS
    633696 largest executable program size

    4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    4194304 bytes free EMS memory

    2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    2031616 bytes available XMS memory
    0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    DOS resident in High Memory Area
    High Memory Area in use

    when I have run on internet a time then I get a bad connect

    The web browser on tell "wating for data"

    I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.

    The net.cfg

    PROTOCOL ODINSUP
    BIND PCIODI
    NO BUFFERED
    LINK DRIVER PCIODI
    FRAME ETHERNET_II
    FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
    FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
    FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
    PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
    PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

  13. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Bent Nielsen wrote:
    > Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most

    less
    > >>memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

    > > I have 3 NICs
    > >
    > > Realtek 8029:
    > > pciodi.com MLID v6.00
    > > loaded high
    > > uses 8,512 bytes

    > I have some troble when I try to use this netcard on a AMD 2000+ on a
    > chaintech motherbord.
    > before I laod the driver:
    >
    > mem:
    > D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem
    >

    > 654336 bytes total memory
    > 654336 bytes available for DOS
    > 633696 largest executable program size
    >
    > 4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    > 4194304 bytes free EMS memory
    >
    > 2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    > 2031616 bytes available XMS memory
    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    > DOS resident in High Memory Area
    > High Memory Area in use
    >

    > After I have load the driver:
    >
    > D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>geosnet
    >
    > D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\LSL
    > Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI v2.20 (960401)
    > (c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.
    >
    > The configuration file used was "D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\NET.CFG".
    > Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4
    >

    > D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\pciodi.com
    > Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet MLID v6.00 (960117)
    > (C) Copyright 1993 - 1996 Realtek Semiconductor Co., LTD. All Rights
    > Reserved.
    >

    > IRQ 10, Port E000, Node Address 403353CCC4 L
    > Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
    > Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode
    > Board 2, Frame ETHERNET_802.2, LSB Mode
    > Board 3, Frame ETHERNET_802.3, LSB Mode
    > Board 4, Frame ETHERNET_SNAP, LSB Mode
    >
    > D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem
    >

    > 654336 bytes total memory
    > 654336 bytes available for DOS
    > 633696 largest executable program size
    >
    > 4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    > 4194304 bytes free EMS memory
    >
    > 2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    > 2031616 bytes available XMS memory
    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    > DOS resident in High Memory Area
    > High Memory Area in use
    >

    > when I have run on internet a time then I get a bad connect
    >
    > The web browser on tell "wating for data"
    >
    > I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.
    >
    > The net.cfg
    >
    > PROTOCOL ODINSUP
    > BIND PCIODI
    > NO BUFFERED
    > LINK DRIVER PCIODI
    > FRAME ETHERNET_II
    > FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
    > FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
    > FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
    > PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
    > PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

    First,, do you use this for more than GEOS?

    If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

    ;PROTOCOL ODINSUP
    ; BIND PCIODI
    ; NO BUFFERED
    LINK DRIVER PCIODI
    FRAME ETHERNET_II
    ; FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
    ; FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
    ; FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
    PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
    PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

    BR,
    Hans

  14. Re: Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

    Hi Bent,
    You have an unusual net.cfg file. Can you try that one ?

    Link Support
    Buffers 4 1514
    Link Driver PCIODI
    Frame Ethernet_II
    Protocol IP 800 Ethernet_II
    Protocol ARP 806 Ethernet_II
    Protocol RARP 8035 Ethernet_II

    The value 1514 means the maximum packet size over the network. Maybe your
    driver will send packets which are too large for the net.

    Andreas

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003716322571725760@news1.teli a.com...

> [...]

    > > 4194304 bytes free EMS memory
    > >
    > > 2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    > > 2031616 bytes available XMS memory
    > > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    > > DOS resident in High Memory Area
    > > High Memory Area in use
    > >

    > > when I have run on internet a time then I get a bad connect
    > >
    > > The web browser on tell "wating for data"
    > >
    > > I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.
    > >
    > > The net.cfg
    > >
    > > PROTOCOL ODINSUP
    > > BIND PCIODI
    > > NO BUFFERED
    > > LINK DRIVER PCIODI
    > > FRAME ETHERNET_II
    > > FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
    > > FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
    > > FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
    > > PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
    > > PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

    > First,, do you use this for more than GEOS?
    >
    > If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

+ Reply to Thread