Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Yes, when running DOS tools, like Scandisk, Chkdsk, Defrag, Diskopt and Debug. OTOH, there is no parallel DOS command structure for GEOS like there are in Windows NT. I can't execute GEOS commands, except the loader for GEOS, at the ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Yes, when running DOS tools, like Scandisk, Chkdsk, Defrag, Diskopt and
    Debug. OTOH, there is no parallel DOS command structure for GEOS like there
    are in Windows NT. I can't execute GEOS commands, except the loader for GEOS,
    at the DOS prompt and there is no DOS window in GEOS, but this you probably
    know? Sorry to say this, but to me you seem to be an amateur...........

    BR,
    Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > When you are running GEOS under DOS (No Windows Present) do you exit GEOS
    > and use command line?
    >

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.200371222485125264@news1.telia .com...
    > > Yep I would definitly use the command prompt, and I can still say that

    > every
    > > task done on the command promt is executed faster, often more powerful

    and
    > > efficient. One good example is when managing Windows NT4, 2000 servers,
    > > and Legato Networker servers. Even in such a simple task as to stop

    and
    > start
    > > a service in NT, I use a command prompt prior to GUI. It is faster and

    > simpler,
    > > especially when executing commands to follow.
    > > I use DOS too, still relatively often, when creating boot disks for,

    like
    > > for example, Partition Magic. Repartitioning har drives is done a lot

    > faster
    > > with DOS diskette set booting from DOS, than NT. I would say it is a

    > nightmare
    > > in NT compared to DOS. In NT this is a very slow process and prone to

    > crash.
    > > In DOS it is fast and elegant, with just one quick reboot. Norton Ghost

    > and
    > > Imagecast cloning is also done fast and elegant in DOS. Scandisk in

    > Windows
    > > 98 SE runned from the DOS prompt, or failsafe mode is preferred, compared
    > > to normal mode. So there are small bits and pieces here and there.
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >

    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > Humans are quite adaptive. They learn what is needed to achieve an

    end
    > > goal.
    > > > Its rare for an average consumer to ever need command line knowledge.

    > > Even
    > > > if they learned it, the use would be some infrequent that its not

    worth
    > > the
    > > > time involved to have anything but a cursory knowledge. All the

    > relatives
    > > in
    > > > my immediate family use all kinds of PCs but have zero knowledge of

    > command
    > > > line. I'm an old timer so I have lots of knowledge but I'll confess,

    > > am a
    > > > bit rusty on DOS commands but rarely need to use it. Hans, would you

    go
    > > out
    > > > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using

    > > a GUI
    > > > interface? Of course, I am referring to scenarios where your not using

    > > > specific 16-bit DOS application, like GEOS or the like.
    > > >

    > > > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > > > news:NewsReader.1.0.200362901227521152@news1.telia .com...

    of
    > > > computers.

    > believe,

    > commands

    > > it as

    smart
    > > four
    > > > Don't

    > game,

    > mostly

    > > know

    > > When

    my
    > > bread

    > > I ever

    > > > eccentricities.

    > oriented.

    for
    > > > example.
    > > > managers,

    > arcane.

    DOS
    > > memory

    > > GEOS

    > messages

    > They

    few
    > > who

    is
    > > > little

    > posts

    5 on
    > > up

    > than

    with
    > > > GEOS.

  2. Re: Living in the past

    Hans, what is so complicated about command line? You act as if it takes a
    Rhoads scholar to do it. I find it quite easy and fast.

    news:NewsReader.1.0.200372320303421664@news1.telia .com...

+ Reply to Thread