Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Tom Accuosti wrote: ........>Why should the "stupids" have to worry about customizing their computers? Is this a rethorical question, or do you believe that computer equipped with Windows can just be ran without customization and maintenance? I would just say ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    ........>Why should the "stupids" have to worry about customizing their
    computers?

    Is this a rethorical question, or do you believe that computer equipped
    with Windows can just be ran without customization and maintenance? I would
    just say that every system, more or less, needs that, however the wast majority
    of customers get the impression that it is just to .....................drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ive,
    well it is that way for sometime, but all users will come to a point, when
    the computer doesn't work as expected, and support is required. I also wonder
    where this illusion that it is just to ...................drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrive
    comes from?

    BR,
    Hans

    PS. Sorry for chopping your posting down, but this was subject I felt a
    need to answer DS.

  2. Re: Living in the past

    In news:NewsReader.1.0.200372320114321664@news1.telia .com,
    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    |
    | .......>Why should the "stupids" have to worry about customizing their
    | computers?
    |
    | Is this a rethorical question, or do you believe that computer
    | equipped with Windows can just be ran without customization and
    | maintenance? I would just say that every system, more or less, needs
    | that, however the wast majority of customers get the impression that
    | it is just to .....................drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ive,
    | well it is that way for sometime, but all users will come to a point,
    | when the computer doesn't work as expected, and support is required.
    | I also wonder where this illusion that it is just to
    | ...................drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrive comes from?
    |
    | BR,
    | Hans
    |
    | PS. Sorry for chopping your posting down, but this was subject I felt
    | a need to answer DS.

    Hey, chop away - I know that some of what I say is irrelevant.

    I really beleive that most average home users (i.e., letters, email,
    photos, checkbook balancing, etc.) can pretty much buy a decent PC, plug
    it in and drrrrrrrrrive. As long as they stick with relatively
    mainstream apps and brand name components, there's very little reason
    that they can't have months or years with no problems.

    Yes, after some period, they'll need support. Lightning fries a modem.
    Hard drive gets really fragmented. They fall for the latest AOHell
    upgrade. But let me go back to the car analogy: you need to bring it in
    for periodic maintenance, change the transmission fluid or some belts,
    etc., but if you are careful with it, then rarely do things break down a
    lot.

    I just bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron, and it came with XP Home and a
    few other things already installed. It ran just fine. I loaded up a
    bunch of my favorite software and assorted tweaks, and it still ran
    fine. I just bought a new desktop system for my wife, an Athlon 2000
    with XP Home installed. Ran just fine out of the box. Why should I touch
    it? She just wants to drrrrrrrrive it.

    Tom

    --
    Tom

  3. Re: Living in the past

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > Hey, chop away - I know that some of what I say is irrelevant.
    >
    > I really beleive that most average home users (i.e., letters, email,
    > photos, checkbook balancing, etc.) can pretty much buy a decent PC, plug
    > it in and drrrrrrrrrive.

    you are not kidding.. this was exactly my experience with the global
    pc.. i was really impressed.. did not see one dos prompt or
    config.sys. just powered it on and "drrrriveeeee" I did!

    > As long as they stick with relatively
    > mainstream apps and brand name components,

    brand name components?? ha! dells are fille d with so many no name
    chinese supplied parts.. you are not getting sony CDRW drives in dells
    last time i checked.

    > there's very little reason
    > that they can't have months or years with no problems.
    >
    > Yes, after some period, they'll need support. Lightning fries a modem.
    > Hard drive gets really fragmented.

    dust clogs one of the many fans desperately needed to cool a windows
    powered pc..

    > They fall for the latest AOHell
    > upgrade. But let me go back to the car analogy: you need to bring it in
    > for periodic maintenance, change the transmission fluid or some belts,
    > etc., but if you are careful with it, then rarely do things break down a
    > lot.
    >
    > I just bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron, and it came with XP Home and a
    > few other things already installed. It ran just fine.

    just like the GPC i recently purchased...

  4. Re: Living in the past

    In news:3F033A9B.3060309@prodigy.net,
    hyubso wrote:
    | Tom Accuosti wrote:

    || I just bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron, and it came with XP Home and
    || a few other things already installed. It ran just fine.
    |

    | just like the GPC i recently purchased...

    Cool! I just downloaded some Ted Nugent mp3's with KaZaa (and listened
    to them after download) while I was reading my favorite NG's and
    replying offline. My AOL IM window let me know that a few friends were
    online and we traded some jokes. Then I used Corel 8 to modify a graphic
    for a newsletter that I'm doing in Word while I burned a CD-RW with
    mp3's. Finally, I synched my Visor Prism to back up my dates.

    I'll bet I was just as happy to use my machine as you were to use yours.

    --
    Tom

  5. Re: Living in the past

    LOL! Yeah boy. You should have seen the amazing spreadsheet he did and then
    solitaire! Whew! What a multitasking PC. LOADED with TON's of apps! Even,
    now hold on to your hat, Tetris!!! WHOW!

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:qZHMa.22262$C83.2111333@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > In news:3F033A9B.3060309@prodigy.net,
    > hyubso wrote:
    > | Tom Accuosti wrote:
    >
    > || I just bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron, and it came with XP Home and
    > || a few other things already installed. It ran just fine.
    > |

    > | just like the GPC i recently purchased...
    >
    > Cool! I just downloaded some Ted Nugent mp3's with KaZaa (and listened
    > to them after download) while I was reading my favorite NG's and
    > replying offline. My AOL IM window let me know that a few friends were
    > online and we traded some jokes. Then I used Corel 8 to modify a graphic
    > for a newsletter that I'm doing in Word while I burned a CD-RW with
    > mp3's. Finally, I synched my Visor Prism to back up my dates.
    >
    > I'll bet I was just as happy to use my machine as you were to use yours.
    >
    > --
    > Tom

  6. Re: Living in the past

    ***I'll bet I was just as happy to use my machine as you were to use yours.

    --
    Tom***

    And THAT is the crux of this all. There are reasons why people like and want to
    use GEOS...it fills their needs satisfactorilly, even if Bob and Pat think
    otherwise.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: Living in the past

    i drive it to yahoo, the new york times and the la times.. no problems
    at all... it really is an amazing product for my uses..

    so you used all betas but not he final release adn update?? mine ahs the
    update.. so far it is acceptably reliable but yes i havwe found at
    least one bug.. the newsgroup reader did not post some messages. but
    hey, had hte company survived, i amsure that issue would have been
    resolved..

    the GPC is every bit as good as windows or the mac.. it is a fabulous
    integration of hardware adn software... i am impressed very time i turn
    it on..

    Bob wrote:
    > Only problem is there is no place to drive a GlobalPC running GEOS. I know I
    > beta tested it up to its' final release. It has tons of bugs and it KR'd all
    > over the place.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >

    >>Tom Accuosti wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey, chop away - I know that some of what I say is irrelevant.
    >>>
    >>>I really beleive that most average home users (i.e., letters, email,
    >>>photos, checkbook balancing, etc.) can pretty much buy a decent PC, plug
    >>>it in and drrrrrrrrrive.

    >>you are not kidding.. this was exactly my experience with the global
    >>pc.. i was really impressed.. did not see one dos prompt or
    >>config.sys. just powered it on and "drrrriveeeee" I did!
    >>

    >>>As long as they stick with relatively
    >>>mainstream apps and brand name components,

    >>brand name components?? ha! dells are fille d with so many no name
    >>chinese supplied parts.. you are not getting sony CDRW drives in dells
    >>last time i checked.
    >>

    >>>there's very little reason
    >>>that they can't have months or years with no problems.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, after some period, they'll need support. Lightning fries a modem.
    >>>Hard drive gets really fragmented.

    >>dust clogs one of the many fans desperately needed to cool a windows
    >>powered pc..
    >>

    >> > They fall for the latest AOHell

    >>>upgrade. But let me go back to the car analogy: you need to bring it in
    >>>for periodic maintenance, change the transmission fluid or some belts,
    >>>etc., but if you are careful with it, then rarely do things break down a
    >>>lot.
    >>>
    >>>I just bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron, and it came with XP Home and a
    >>>few other things already installed. It ran just fine.

    >>just like the GPC i recently purchased...

  8. Re: Living in the past

    In news:20030703004055.13572.00000038@mb-m13.aol.com,
    C BLANK II wrote:
    | ***I'll bet I was just as happy to use my machine as you were to use
    | yours.

    And THAT is the crux of this all. There are reasons why people like and
    want to
    use GEOS...it fills their needs satisfactorilly, even if Bob and Pat
    think
    otherwise.

    Chip Blank

    And Chip, I couldn't agree more. Look, I really enjoy all that I can do
    with my current desktop and laptop PC's, but we'd all have to agree that
    I'm doing more than "basic computing". When my friends ask me about
    buying new PC's for kids going off to school, I always tell them to get
    an old laptop (say, a 600 mhz) running ME and Word or Works. It's all
    the kids need for doing papers, and they certainly don't need all that
    power for IMing and listening to the latest Tool or J-Lo clip. I used to
    tell them about GeoWorks, but the kids, for the most part, don't want
    the hassle. "Where's the mp3 player? Can't I listen to Ozzie Osborne
    while I'm doing my paper?"

    While Bob might jump on that scenario to point out why ND isn't viable
    anymore, I just wanted to suggest that it more points up that more
    people are less concerned about the software itself and more concerend
    about what they can do with it.

    --
    Tom

  9. Re: Living in the past

    "hyubso" wrote in message

    > the GPC is every bit as good as windows or the mac.. it is a fabulous
    > integration of hardware adn software... i am impressed very time i turn
    > it on..

    Don't take much then.

  10. Re: Living in the past

    ***While Bob might jump on that scenario to point out why ND isn't viable
    anymore, I just wanted to suggest that it more points up that more
    people are less concerned about the software itself and more concerend
    about what they can do with it.

    --
    Tom***

    Exactly. All the talk about power and speed, etc. is relative to needs and
    desires. Getting the work done that needs to be done at 75MHz and 16bit is just
    as acceptable to many people as doing the same work at 32 bit and 800 MHz. If
    the 32 bit and 800 MHz is needed, then by all means use it.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

+ Reply to Thread