Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; links to other code. Its a really tight coupling under the hood. One particular option, although not used specifically by you, may share the same code that is used by another option that you do use. >> Aye, there's the ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    << In the case of Windows or Office, you are using lots of code that has common
    links to other code. Its a really tight coupling under the hood. One particular
    option, although not used specifically by you, may share the same code that is
    used by another option that you do use. >>

    Aye, there's the rub... Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the key "bone
    of contention" vis-a-vis the DOJ vs. MS lawsuit? "Jealousy"??? That's a real
    stretch for sure! If I "like" a particular utility program for sake of
    discussion, I object be being required to purchase the "whole enchilada" when I
    will not use nor derive any benefit from that. That it has become ubiquitous
    (regardless of the reason), still makes me gag. Yes - the "marketplace" has
    spoken -- no argument there. The methodology to get it to that point is what we
    are having reams & reams & ream of discussion about... :-)

    Ray

    >Subject: Re: Living in the past
    >From: "Pat" hotpatpar@hotmail.com
    >Date: 7/1/03 3:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >Not a good analogy to software. In the case of Windows or Office, you are
    >using lots of code that has common links to other code. Its a really tight
    >coupling under the hood. One particular option, although not used
    >specifically by you, may share the same code that is used by another option
    >that you do use. In fact, most of Windows XP uses the Object model of
    >reusable common code.
    >
    >What I am reading is extreme jealousy for a real OS that covers all bases
    >and has Billions invested in Software Engineering that obviates the need, in
    >most cases, to spend extra money for ancillary software, from Recording on
    >CDs, Faxing, to Drivers for thousands of devices! To make all of it a Dim
    >Sum of optional parts would make most users puke. And since I have never
    >heard of this petty complaint being aired by enough Windows users to give a
    >tinkers damn, I'll file it under "Frustrated GEOS Users".
    >

    >"Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    >> << Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband

    >why
    >> she spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it

    >was on
    >> sale.". >>
    >>
    >> :-) Very good!
    >>
    >> Ray

  2. Re: Living in the past

    Pat wrote:
    r, Bitter Rivals Getting the Ear of the DOJ because they were a FOB.

    > One thing you fail to address. This tear jerker soap opera of the poor
    > innocent user being forced to buy software from Microsoft,

    which is true as the only real choice is what is on the shelf,a dn for
    low cost computing hardware, where ibm clones were always cheaper than
    pricey macs, clones were th e way to go..

    and MSFT, if it were not foricin gpeopel to buy its unwanted
    software/upgardes, would not have ot discourage oems form selling balnk
    hard drive pcs or pc with other OS on them.

    microsoft , in your eyes, could leave the OS makret unguarded adn
    surive jsut fine.. if BIll gatres found you on his payroll you would be
    fired for trying ot destroy the comapny. very simple.

    in the first
    > place, is utter rubbish. Just go Mac or Linux,

    suppose the mac hardware costs too much adn the linux software is too
    difficult to use?? why not offer the geos option on OEM PCs???

    >no one is sticking a gun in
    > your ribs to hand a shilling over to Microsoft.
    >
    > In summary, if you bitch about Microsoft stealing your money and you still
    > hand over the cash, then you are a blithering idiot!

    well, you hav eot hand over the money to get eth computer, even if you
    do not want teh oS.. taht is the problem.. this would not be an issue
    if msft would refund the full cost of unwanted copies of windows.. my
    how fast woudl MSft's cash horde of 40 billion dollars disappear
    then??? i once offered to sell micorosft back old unused shrink
    wrapped copies of windows 95 at $35 each.. they wanted me ot destroy
    them rather than sell them on ebay, and MSFT was very threatening about
    htis for some reason.. why oI don't know... you'd think they would want
    peoel using their softwrae... in hte end, i offered ot destroy the
    copies but MSFT was TOO CHEAP to pay my $35 per copy destruciton fee.
    well, they are gone now.. maybe microsoft will now ask goodwill adn the
    salvation to destroy every unused windwos license that thaqt gets donated

  3. Re: Living in the past

    LOL! Yeah the DOJ thing vaporized as quickly as 32-bit GEOS!

    > << In the case of Windows or Office, you are using lots of code that has

    common
    > links to other code. Its a really tight coupling under the hood. One

    particular
    > option, although not used specifically by you, may share the same code

    that is
    > used by another option that you do use. >>
    >
    > Aye, there's the rub... Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the key

    "bone
    > of contention" vis-a-vis the DOJ vs. MS lawsuit? "Jealousy"??? That's a

    real
    > stretch for sure! If I "like" a particular utility program for sake of
    > discussion, I object be being required to purchase the "whole enchilada"

    when I
    > will not use nor derive any benefit from that. That it has become

    ubiquitous
    > (regardless of the reason), still makes me gag. Yes - the "marketplace"

    has
    > spoken -- no argument there. The methodology to get it to that point is

    what we
    > are having reams & reams & ream of discussion about... :-)
    >
    > Ray
    >

    > >Subject: Re: Living in the past
    > >From: "Pat" hotpatpar@hotmail.com
    > >Date: 7/1/03 3:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >Not a good analogy to software. In the case of Windows or Office, you are
    > >using lots of code that has common links to other code. Its a really

    tight
    > >coupling under the hood. One particular option, although not used
    > >specifically by you, may share the same code that is used by another

    option
    > >that you do use. In fact, most of Windows XP uses the Object model of
    > >reusable common code.
    > >
    > >What I am reading is extreme jealousy for a real OS that covers all bases
    > >and has Billions invested in Software Engineering that obviates the need,

    in
    > >most cases, to spend extra money for ancillary software, from Recording

    on
    > >CDs, Faxing, to Drivers for thousands of devices! To make all of it a Dim

    > >Sum of optional parts would make most users puke. And since I have never
    > >heard of this petty complaint being aired by enough Windows users to give

    > >tinkers damn, I'll file it under "Frustrated GEOS Users".
    > >

    > >"Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > >> << Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her

    husband
    > >why
    > >> she spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it

    > >was on
    > >> sale.". >>
    > >>
    > >> :-) Very good!
    > >>
    > >> Ray

  4. Re: Living in the past

    "hyubso" wrote in message

    > suppose the mac hardware costs too much adn the linux software is too
    > difficult to use?? why not offer the geos option on OEM PCs???

    Its a joke. Its a 15 year old DOS program and can't understand all the new
    hardware and users would throw rocks at the dealer for selling them a DOS
    program with no apps. Anyone who would suggest such nonsense would be stoned
    by those same irate customers.

    > well, you hav eot hand over the money to get eth computer, even if you
    > do not want teh oS.. taht is the problem.. this would not be an issue
    > if msft would refund the full cost of unwanted copies of windows.. my
    > how fast woudl MSft's cash horde of 40 billion dollars disappear
    > then??? i once offered to sell micorosft back old unused shrink
    > wrapped copies of windows 95 at $35 each.. they wanted me ot destroy
    > them rather than sell them on ebay, and MSFT was very threatening about
    > htis for some reason.. why oI don't know... you'd think they would want
    > peoel using their softwrae... in hte end, i offered ot destroy the
    > copies but MSFT was TOO CHEAP to pay my $35 per copy destruciton fee.
    > well, they are gone now.. maybe microsoft will now ask goodwill adn the
    > salvation to destroy every unused windwos license that thaqt gets

    donated

    Hans, do you understand any of the above? I didn't!. ROTFLMAO!

+ Reply to Thread