Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Yep I would definitly use the command prompt, and I can still say that every task done on the command promt is executed faster, often more powerful and efficient. One good example is when managing Windows NT4, 2000 servers, and ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Yep I would definitly use the command prompt, and I can still say that every
    task done on the command promt is executed faster, often more powerful and
    efficient. One good example is when managing Windows NT4, 2000 servers,
    and Legato Networker servers. Even in such a simple task as to stop and start
    a service in NT, I use a command prompt prior to GUI. It is faster and simpler,
    especially when executing commands to follow.
    I use DOS too, still relatively often, when creating boot disks for, like
    for example, Partition Magic. Repartitioning har drives is done a lot faster
    with DOS diskette set booting from DOS, than NT. I would say it is a nightmare
    in NT compared to DOS. In NT this is a very slow process and prone to crash.
    In DOS it is fast and elegant, with just one quick reboot. Norton Ghost and
    Imagecast cloning is also done fast and elegant in DOS. Scandisk in Windows
    98 SE runned from the DOS prompt, or failsafe mode is preferred, compared
    to normal mode. So there are small bits and pieces here and there.

    BR,
    Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > Humans are quite adaptive. They learn what is needed to achieve an end

    goal.
    > Its rare for an average consumer to ever need command line knowledge.

    Even
    > if they learned it, the use would be some infrequent that its not worth

    the
    > time involved to have anything but a cursory knowledge. All the relatives

    in
    > my immediate family use all kinds of PCs but have zero knowledge of command
    > line. I'm an old timer so I have lots of knowledge but I'll confess, I

    am a
    > bit rusty on DOS commands but rarely need to use it. Hans, would you go

    out
    > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using

    a GUI
    > interface? Of course, I am referring to scenarios where your not using

    > specific 16-bit DOS application, like GEOS or the like.
    >

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.200362901227521152@news1.telia .com...
    > > Well, smart is a big word, I would say with little or no respect of

    > computers.
    > > Some kids are smart but many will also end up messing up. I still believe,
    > > by every day's practice, that knowing the command line and it's commands
    > > is still quite useful. And I feel pity for those who refuse to learn

    it as
    > > it is often the emergency exit solving a problem.
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >

    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > Kids are very smart and savvy about computers. For example, a smart

    four
    > > > year old is annoyed if you try to help them with using the computer.

    > Don't
    > > > get your fingers near a smart kid who is hell bent on loading a game,

    > > I warn
    > > > you now. ;-)
    > > >
    > > > All kidding aside, its true, DOS is an ancient command line that mostly
    > > > older users have knowledge about!
    > > >

    > > > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > > > news:NewsReader.1.0.2003627523394922608@news1.teli a.com...

    know
    > > how

    When
    > > they

    bread
    > > > secured

    I ever
    > > get

    > eccentricities.

    > > > rarely

    > example.

    > managers,

    memory

    GEOS
    > > > tweaks

    > > in
    > > > COGM,

    > > are

    who
    > > > need

    > little

    > > in

    up
    > > and
    > > > Ensemble

    > GEOS.

  2. Re: Living in the past

    When you are running GEOS under DOS (No Windows Present) do you exit GEOS
    and use command line?

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.200371222485125264@news1.telia .com...
> [...]

    > out
    > > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using

    > a GUI
    > > interface? Of course, I am referring to scenarios where your not using

    > > specific 16-bit DOS application, like GEOS or the like.
    > >

    > > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > > news:NewsReader.1.0.200362901227521152@news1.telia .com...
    > > > Well, smart is a big word, I would say with little or no respect of

    > > computers.
    > > > Some kids are smart but many will also end up messing up. I still

    believe,
    > > > by every day's practice, that knowing the command line and it's

    commands
    > > > is still quite useful. And I feel pity for those who refuse to learn

    > it as
    > > > it is often the emergency exit solving a problem.

  3. Re: Living in the past

    LOL! Sure. They exit GEOS and use DOS commands. Why use NewManager?

    "Pat" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > > if they learned it, the use would be some infrequent that its not

    worth
    > > the
    > > > time involved to have anything but a cursory knowledge. All the

    > relatives
    > > in
    > > > my immediate family use all kinds of PCs but have zero knowledge of

    > command
    > > > line. I'm an old timer so I have lots of knowledge but I'll confess, I

    > > am a
    > > > bit rusty on DOS commands but rarely need to use it. Hans, would you

    go
    > > out
    > > > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using

    > > a GUI
    > > > interface? Of course, I am referring to scenarios where your not using

    > > > specific 16-bit DOS application, like GEOS or the like.

  4. Re: Living in the past

    Bob, the logic in most of their arguments can be summed up as one-sided and
    completely fails to address that GEOS also fails their litmus tests for
    Windows. Amazingly hollow and bogus!

    "Bob" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > > I use DOS too, still relatively often, when creating boot disks for,

    > like
    > > > for example, Partition Magic. Repartitioning har drives is done a lot

    > > faster
    > > > with DOS diskette set booting from DOS, than NT. I would say it is a

    > > nightmare
    > > > in NT compared to DOS. In NT this is a very slow process and prone to

    > > crash.
    > > > In DOS it is fast and elegant, with just one quick reboot. Norton

    Ghost
    > > and
    > > > Imagecast cloning is also done fast and elegant in DOS. Scandisk in

    > > Windows
    > > > 98 SE runned from the DOS prompt, or failsafe mode is preferred,

    > compared
    > > > to normal mode. So there are small bits and pieces here and there.

  5. Re: Living in the past

    Why do you ask me, if you have all the answers for yourself?

    - Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > Bob, the logic in most of their arguments can be summed up as one-sided

    and
    > completely fails to address that GEOS also fails their litmus tests for
    > Windows. Amazingly hollow and bogus!
    >

    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > LOL! Sure. They exit GEOS and use DOS commands. Why use NewManager?

    > > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > > When you are running GEOS under DOS (No Windows Present) do you exit

> [...]

  6. Re: Living in the past

    Another rhetorical question, question?

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.200372320363121664@news1.telia .com...
    > Why do you ask me, if you have all the answers for yourself?
    >
    > - Hans
    >
    > Pat wrote:
    > > Bob, the logic in most of their arguments can be summed up as one-sided

    > and
    > > completely fails to address that GEOS also fails their litmus tests for
    > > Windows. Amazingly hollow and bogus!
    > >

    > > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > > LOL! Sure. They exit GEOS and use DOS commands. Why use NewManager?

    > > > "Pat" wrote in message

    > > GEOS

    > that

    powerful
    > > > and

    > > servers,

    stop
    > > and

    > and

    > for,
    > > > like

    > a lot

    > is a

    > > Ghost

    > in
    > > > compared

    > an
    > > end

    > > knowledge.

    > not
    > > > worth

    > of

    confess,

    > you
    > > > go

    > > using

    > > using

    respect
    > > of

    > still

    it's

    > > learn

    > > > smart
    > > > computer.

    > that

    > > don't

    > > icons.

    > have
    > > my

    > > stressed......will

    Noble,
    > > for

    memory

    > too

    > of
    > > DOS

    > > mention

    > of

    > DOS.

    > the
    > > > few

    > there
    > > > is

    desired

    MSDOS
    > 5
    > > on

    versions

    issues
    > > > with

  7. Re: Living in the past

    Language barrier!

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.20037232048621664@news1.telia. com...
    > Well, all I can say that I don't understand your half-assed logic.........
    > But this kind of logic it will most probably be laid by persons who never
    > have been into a real production enviroment......
    >
    > -Hans
    >
    > Pat wrote:
    > > Bob, the logic in most of their arguments can be summed up as one-sided

    > and
    > > completely fails to address that GEOS also fails their litmus tests for
    > > Windows. Amazingly hollow and bogus!
    > >

    > > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > > LOL! Sure. They exit GEOS and use DOS commands. Why use NewManager?

    > > > "Pat" wrote in message

    > > GEOS

    > that

    powerful