CDs in cereal boxes??? - GEOS

This is a discussion on CDs in cereal boxes??? - GEOS ; how about this! http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html > CDs in soft drink cup caps > > Tuesday, July 1, 2003 Posted: 10:26 AM EDT (1426 GMT) > Singer Rachel Farris sips from a cup whose lid contains a multimedia CD of her music. ...

  1. CDs in cereal boxes???

> [...]

    > In all, 4.8 million of the CDs promoting Farris will be distributed in a monthlong campaign that began Friday, dolling up -- or cluttering, depending on your perspective -- drink containers at the Regal Entertainment Group's 530 theaters in 36 states and at two Universal Studios theme parks.
    >
    > (The straw fits through the hole in the middle of the disc.)
    >
    > The theaters will also show a three-minute video of Farris before movies.
    >
    > "The whole industry is in such a state of flux," said Bill Edwards, whose Big3 Records is financing the Farris promotion. "It's kind of a tough situation, especially for an independent label, to get music played, because we're vying against everyone else in the world."
    > Interview, video also on mini-disc
    >
    > The marketing push by the St. Petersburg, Florida-based label is unusual for a new artist.
    >
    > "We know it's a gamble, but we think it's a very good gamble," Edwards said.
    >
    > LidRock, the company making the discs, pinned costs at several million dollars. The CDs have two of Farris' songs, lyrics, an interview and a video of the singer.
    >
    > Using such CDs to market musicians is fairly new, but its time has come, said Tena Clark, CEO of Pasadena-based Disc Marketing, which has designed enhanced CD marketing campaigns for companies like United Airlines, Coca-Cola and Victoria's Secret.
    >
    > Clark said she has received inquiries in recent weeks from both veteran and budding recording artists, but hasn't inked any deals yet.
    > Used to promote contact lenses
    >
    > In the past, music stars have appeared on enhanced CDs mainly to sell a product, not to sell themselves, Clark said.
    >
    > For example, Clark said, contact lens maker Acuvue used an enhanced CD with exclusive footage and song mixes by Latin singer Enrique Iglesias.
    >
    > Pepsi used Colombian singer Shakira in an enhanced CD campaign in Spain and several Latin American countries, said Ellen Healy, director of sports and entertainment for Pepsi International. Some 2.5 million CDs were given away as prizes over the past 18 months.
    >
    > Clark said she had no knowledge of other promotional CDs coming with soda lids.
    > Hoping for good reaction
    >
    > Edwards, who would not say how much Big3 paid for the unorthodox Farris promotion, said he was inspired in part by the Pepsi campaign.
    >
    > A photo of Farris covers the CD label though the disc also has commercial clips of "Stuck on You," a comedy starring Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear, and Universal Studios' theme park rides.
    >
    > Still, the push is focused on Farris.
    >
    > "I'm just hoping it will (get) a good reaction," she said in a phone interview last week before performing in Westbury, New York, with teen boy group O-Town. "It's a totally new idea, and there's always risk involved."
    >
    > Though Farris said she was initially concerned about cutting into album sales if she gave away two songs, she figured the promotion could get fans "to want to hear the rest, hopefully."

  2. Re: CDs in cereal boxes???

    LOL - saw it in my local paper this morning and immediately thought of you :-)

    But I would point out the two parts (below) that are the most important from my
    Breadbox point of view. We don't happen to have "several million dollars"
    available for a mass CD promotion, whether it be soda lids, cereal boxes, or
    anything else.

    John ;-)

    hyubso wrote:

    > how about this!

    [snip]

    >> LidRock, the company making the discs, pinned costs at several million
    >> dollars. The CDs have two of Farris' songs, lyrics, an interview and a
    >> video of the singer.

    [snip]

    >> Edwards, who would not say how much Big3 paid for the unorthodox
    >> Farris promotion, said he was inspired in part by the Pepsi campaign.

    [snip]

  3. Re: CDs in cereal boxes???

    I'm AMAZED! A HUGE company like BBX hasn't a couple ,million chump change to
    market its' product???? How can you then advanced to a 32-bit GEOS if you
    don't have sock money like 2 million?

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    > LOL - saw it in my local paper this morning and immediately thought of you

    :-)

    > But I would point out the two parts (below) that are the most important

    from my
    > Breadbox point of view. We don't happen to have "several million dollars"
    > available for a mass CD promotion, whether it be soda lids, cereal boxes,

    or
    > anything else.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > hyubso wrote:
    >
    > > how about this!
    > >

    > [snip]
    >

    > >> LidRock, the company making the discs, pinned costs at several million
    > >> dollars. The CDs have two of Farris' songs, lyrics, an interview and a
    > >> video of the singer.
    > >>

    > [snip]
    >

    > >> Edwards, who would not say how much Big3 paid for the unorthodox
    > >> Farris promotion, said he was inspired in part by the Pepsi campaign.
    > >>

    > [snip]

  4. Re: CDs in cereal boxes???

    Another winner, Hyubso. ROTFL!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > Clark said she had no knowledge of other promotional CDs coming with

    soda lids.
    > > Hoping for good reaction
    > >
    > > Edwards, who would not say how much Big3 paid for the unorthodox Farris

    promotion, said he was inspired in part by the Pepsi campaign.

    > > A photo of Farris covers the CD label though the disc also has

    commercial clips of "Stuck on You," a comedy starring Matt Damon and Greg
    Kinnear, and Universal Studios' theme park rides.

    > > Still, the push is focused on Farris.
    > >
    > > "I'm just hoping it will (get) a good reaction," she said in a phone

    interview last week before performing in Westbury, New York, with teen boy
    group O-Town. "It's a totally new idea, and there's always risk involved."

    > > Though Farris said she was initially concerned about cutting into album

    sales if she gave away two songs, she figured the promotion could get fans

  5. Re: CDs in cereal boxes???

    i only posted that because i thought it was funny where cds were showing
    up these days.... soon you iwll fined them inside oa box of hefty trash
    bags.

    John Howard wrote:
    > LOL - saw it in my local paper this morning and immediately thought of
    > you :-)
    >
    > But I would point out the two parts (below) that are the most important
    > from my Breadbox point of view. We don't happen to have "several
    > million dollars" available for a mass CD promotion, whether it be soda
    > lids, cereal boxes, or anything else.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > hyubso wrote:
    >
    >> how about this!
    >>

    > [snip]
    >

    >>> LidRock, the company making the discs, pinned costs at several
    >>> million dollars. The CDs have two of Farris' songs, lyrics, an
    >>> interview and a video of the singer.
    >>>

    > [snip]
    >

    >>> Edwards, who would not say how much Big3 paid for the unorthodox
    >>> Farris promotion, said he was inspired in part by the Pepsi campaign.
    >>>

    > [snip]

+ Reply to Thread