Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Let me see. You favor using command line when the easier, more accurate, GUI alternative will accomplish the same thing. I say that because there are some instances where you can use command line easier than finding a GUI method ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Let me see. You favor using command line when the easier, more accurate, GUI
    alternative will accomplish the same thing. I say that because there are
    some instances where you can use command line easier than finding a GUI
    method at your finger tips. For example, I like to occaionaly use TRACERT,
    NET, PING, et al. But I would not hesitate to use Explorer for manipulating
    files.

    In Windows XP, there is a download called PowerToysXP and one of the goodies
    is a right click method used in Explorer where you can popup a DOS window at
    a given directory. I have it there for the rare times I need it.

    "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > <<...would you go out of your way to do something via command line if you

    could
    > do it using a GUI interface? >>
    >
    > Absolutely! I have a "DOS" icon on my home PC and on my NT-box at work...
    >
    > Ray

  2. Re: Living in the past

    In news:dFYLa.29703$0v4.2208141@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Pat wrote:
    | Let me see. You favor using command line when the easier, more
    | accurate, GUI alternative will accomplish the same thing. I say that
    | because there are some instances where you can use command line
    | easier than finding a GUI method at your finger tips. For example, I
    | like to occaionaly use TRACERT, NET, PING, et al. But I would not
    | hesitate to use Explorer for manipulating files.
    |
    | In Windows XP, there is a download called PowerToysXP and one of the
    | goodies is a right click method used in Explorer where you can popup
    | a DOS window at a given directory. I have it there for the rare times
    | I need it.

    I used to use that "DOS here" option, and for a while I thought it was
    the bee's knees. But I have noticed that I have less and less use for
    that feature, and frankly, after switchintg to XP last year, I don't
    remember if I've used anything more than an occassional xcopy with a
    switch to move files from one drive to another (so I didn't have to keep
    hitting OK to copy read-only files).

    OTOH, there are a few machines out in the shop that still use DOS, so I
    haven't lost the memory of those commands completely .

    Tom

  3. Re: Living in the past

    << You favor using command line when the easier, more accurate, GUI alternative
    will accomplish the same thing. I say that because there are some instances
    where you can use command line easier than finding a GUI method at your finger
    tips. For example, I like to occaionaly use TRACERT, NET, PING, et al. But I
    would not hesitate to use Explorer for manipulating files...(and) a right click
    method used in Explorer where you can popup a DOS window at a given directory
    ..>>

    Nice that you did a "CYA" with the above statement... :-)

    It are just those "instance" that makes it worthwhile to know/understand/use
    DOS commands -- or the "command line" if your language predeliction doesn't
    allow you to say/use DOS anymore...

    Find/learn/use the tool that does the job for -- as you see your needs. That's
    it in a nutshell. I had XP on my machine -- tried it for a few days -- removed
    it. Saw no inherent advantage or improvements for the type of computing I do.

    Ray

+ Reply to Thread