Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; ***Isn't it better Chip-ah-roo, to have a feature available and not need it then to need it an not have it? "C BLANK II" wrote in message news:20030629060141.03966.00001357@mb-m28.aol.com... > ***Answer > why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".*** > > ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Answer
    > why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".***
    >
    > Because, Bobo, some people want them. However, 'most' people don't use

    them.

    >***

    Why pay for something not used? In order to have tables that I don't use I
    would need new software, which requires new hardware to run. I figure to have
    stuff I don't use would cost me about $500 minimum (on sales with rebates). No
    thanks.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  2. Re: Living in the past

    The cost of these features is rolled into the one_price_for_all that
    Microsoft uses. For example, when General Motors manager of IT calls Bill
    personally and says get over here we have a list of features we want and are
    willing to defray the costs, then you'll see these features being SLIP
    STREAMED into the Office Package. When I once helped develop a transaction
    processing system, each customer's special got rolled into the general
    package as an option. This is an old and proven method for adding
    functionality into software. The companies paying for these features don't
    mind since they know its going to be maintained and the larger number of
    users means the thing gets debugged.

    Welcome to the world of Enterprise Software Development, morphing its way
    down to the consumers!

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Isn't it better Chip-ah-roo, to have a feature available and not need

    it
    > then to need it an not have it?
    >
    > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > ***Answer
    > > why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".***
    > >
    > > Because, Bobo, some people want them. However, 'most' people don't use

    > them.
    > >
    > >***

    > Why pay for something not used? In order to have tables that I don't use I
    > would need new software, which requires new hardware to run. I figure to

    have
    > stuff I don't use would cost me about $500 minimum (on sales with

    rebates). No
    > thanks.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  3. Re: Living in the past

    ***From: "Pat"
    Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003 11:33 EDT
    The cost of these features is rolled into the one_price_for_all that
    Microsoft uses.***

    Ah...so I could pay for even more features I don't need or use. What I use GEOS
    provides quite nicely. I paid extra for many Windows apps in the past for all
    those extra bells and whistles beyond GEOS. I seldom use them, and, in fact,
    Paint Shop Pro provides most of my extra need (at a very low price) followed by
    a rare use for convenience from Corel.

    Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband why she
    spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it was on
    sale.".

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  4. Re: Living in the past

    << Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband why
    she spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it was on
    sale.". >>

    :-) Very good!

    Ray

  5. Re: Living in the past

    The word "I", can have ubiquitous interpretation. Its sometimes the Virtual
    I, and could represent any user. CBLANKII may not need one option, yet
    another user does, who in turn does not need the one that CBLANKII needs.
    Likewise, you don't order everything on a restaurant menu, just what you
    want and that's different from the person across from you. Yet, all the
    items on the menu get ordered by others and if an item is never picked, it
    disappears off the next printing of the menu. If you pay Property Taxes in
    your town, and the school department lives off that revenue, then I guess
    you could claim that since you did not have a child, that you should be
    given a special discount on your taxes. I like that idea, since I don't have
    a kid.

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***From: "Pat"
    > Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003 11:33 EDT
    > The cost of these features is rolled into the one_price_for_all that
    > Microsoft uses.***
    >
    > Ah...so I could pay for even more features I don't need or use. What I use

    GEOS
    > provides quite nicely. I paid extra for many Windows apps in the past for

    all
    > those extra bells and whistles beyond GEOS. I seldom use them, and, in

    fact,
    > Paint Shop Pro provides most of my extra need (at a very low price)

    followed by
    > a rare use for convenience from Corel.
    >
    > Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband why

    she
    > spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it was on
    > sale.".
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  6. Re: Living in the past

    Ah Pat that makes too much sense. In the case of tables in a WP if
    Chip-a-roo-dee-doo doesn't need such a feature then it is of course of no
    value. This "I" don't need it mentality is the standard of the GEOS user.
    They are stuck in a time-warp. They really do believe that PC buyers are
    interested in doing "office" type applications at home! NOTHING is further
    from the truth. The PC buyer of today wants to do "fun" stuff. The PC is
    becoming the entertainment center of the house. In all honesty the posts
    from those on COGM are laughable. They are so totally outta touch with the
    PC it is just....(well words escape me.) Note I'm talking only about the PC.
    It is a personal computer. For personal stuff. MP3, DVD, 3D Games, Internet,
    Downloading, CD Burning, Encoding Video. FUN stuff. "Personally", , I
    don't even have an "office" application installed on my "Personal Computer."
    Unless you consider WordPad and office application

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > The word "I", can have ubiquitous interpretation. Its sometimes the

    Virtual
    > I, and could represent any user. CBLANKII may not need one option, yet
    > another user does, who in turn does not need the one that CBLANKII needs.
    > Likewise, you don't order everything on a restaurant menu, just what you
    > want and that's different from the person across from you. Yet, all the
    > items on the menu get ordered by others and if an item is never picked, it
    > disappears off the next printing of the menu. If you pay Property Taxes in
    > your town, and the school department lives off that revenue, then I guess
    > you could claim that since you did not have a child, that you should be
    > given a special discount on your taxes. I like that idea, since I don't

    have
    > a kid.
    >

    > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > ***From: "Pat"
    > > Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003 11:33 EDT
    > > The cost of these features is rolled into the one_price_for_all that
    > > Microsoft uses.***
    > >
    > > Ah...so I could pay for even more features I don't need or use. What I

    use
    > GEOS
    > > provides quite nicely. I paid extra for many Windows apps in the past

    for
    > all
    > > those extra bells and whistles beyond GEOS. I seldom use them, and, in

    > fact,
    > > Paint Shop Pro provides most of my extra need (at a very low price)

    > followed by
    > > a rare use for convenience from Corel.
    > >
    > > Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband

    why
    > she
    > > spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it was

    on
    > > sale.".
    > >

    > > Chip Blank
    > > GUI
    > > GeoGrafix
    > >
    > > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: Living in the past

    "Pat" wrote in message
    >I'll file it under "Frustrated GEOS Users".

    Yup. It simply shows what a total misunderstanding of OS's & Applications
    they have. Sad. Just really, really sad. Not to mention not one of them
    doesn't use Windows as their primary OS. Check the posts here. NewsReader
    anyone!! LOL!

  8. Re: Living in the past

    Dead on! And the same users who whine about Windows, are just hypocritical
    enough to give BBX Ensemble a pass on the same issue. There clearly exists
    two standards for this foolishness. Of course, you know what the stock reply
    will be, from the typical GEOS extremist? Yup, they use every (or
    practically every) feature and option and therefore get exactly what they
    pay for. Do you think John is ready to send out discount checks?

    "Bob" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > > provides quite nicely. I paid extra for many Windows apps in the past

    > for
    > > all
    > > > those extra bells and whistles beyond GEOS. I seldom use them, and, in

    > > fact,
    > > > Paint Shop Pro provides most of my extra need (at a very low price)

    > > followed by
    > > > a rare use for convenience from Corel.
    > > >
    > > > Your logic is like the old housewife cliche when asked by her husband

    > why
    > > she
    > > > spent $500 on items she doesn't need or use...she replies "Well, it

    was
    > on
    > > > sale.".
    > > >

    > > > Chip Blank
    > > > GUI
    > > > GeoGrafix
    > > >
    > > > The GEOS Users International website is at:

  9. Re: Living in the past

    Pat wrote:
    > Not a good analogy to software. In the case of Windows or Office, you are
    > using lots of code that has common links to other code. Its a really tight
    > coupling under the hood.

    but not at all as tight a coupling as in geos, which has has this since
    its inception 10+ years ago, wouldn't you agree?

    > What I am reading is extreme jealousy for a real OS that covers all bases

    sounds like the one hamburger that satisfies everyones taste buds -- no
    need for steak or ice cream in the windows world.

    > and has Billions invested in Software Engineering that obviates the need, in
    > most cases, to spend extra money for ancillary software, from Recording on
    > CDs

    my brother cannot figure out how to use windows xp cd writing features..
    it is too weird for him.. what he really needs is NERO, a well designed
    easy to use product for writing CDs in Windows

    > , Faxing, to Drivers for thousands of devices! To make all of it a Dim
    > Sum of optional parts would make most users puke.

    I'd love ot see you puke pat!

  10. Re: Living in the past

    Bob wrote:
    > Ah Pat that makes too much sense. In the case of tables in a WP

    yes tables would be a nice added feature for Geoworite.. no
    arguement there. we'd probabaly would ahve had thehm had geos
    developemnt progressd on a steady basis for eth last 10 years.. ah,
    Bill Gates is wise to immediately weed the computer OS garden of any and
    all competing seedlings.

    if
    > Chip-a-roo-dee-doo doesn't need such a feature then it is of course of no
    > value. This "I" don't need it mentality is the standard of the GEOS user.
    > They are stuck in a time-warp. They really do believe that PC buyers are
    > interested in doing "office" type applications at home! NOTHING is further
    > from the truth.

    Baloney.. people use $300 MSoffice apps to make garage sale signs, for
    rent signs, lost cat/dog signs, and geos is just fine for doing this
    important work

    > The PC buyer of today wants to do "fun" stuff. The PC is
    > becoming the entertainment center of the house.

    Pipe Dream... maybe ina tech's house, but not your average persons
    house.. most people find it easier to watch their DVDs on a cheap $50
    hardware dvd player attached ot the huge tv set. I NEVER watch DVD's
    on my PC, however, i do watch recorded simpsosns episodes on my tivo
    -like TVtuner/hard drive recorder.. only becasue i am too cheap to buy
    a real TIVO becasue they are not low cost products like the DVD player.

    > In all honesty the posts
    > from those on COGM are laughable. They are so totally outta touch with the
    > PC it is just....(well words escape me.)

    Words always escape those who cannot think.

  11. Re: Living in the past

    In news:3F03311B.9090103@prodigy.net,
    hyubso wrote:
    | Pat wrote:
    || Not a good analogy to software. In the case of Windows or Office,
    || you are using lots of code that has common links to other code. Its
    || a really tight coupling under the hood.
    |

    | but not at all as tight a coupling as in geos, which has has this
    | since its inception 10+ years ago, wouldn't you agree?

    I'd have to agree here, but as to GEOS: what have you done for me
    lately? That is, it was great technology, but it's now very, very basic.

    || What I am reading is extreme jealousy for a real OS that covers all
    || bases
    |
    | sounds like the one hamburger that satisfies everyones taste buds --
    | no need for steak or ice cream in the windows world.

    Do you realize that to me, this is the same impression that I get from
    Chip, you, and a few others? IOW, that there's no "need" for people to
    do anything other than what can be done with GEOS? Just an impression.

    | my brother cannot figure out how to use windows xp cd writing
    | features.. it is too weird for him.. what he really needs is NERO, a
    | well designed easy to use product for writing CDs in Windows

    I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
    one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
    un-named DOS suite?

    Tom

  12. Re: Living in the past

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:kZHMa.22261$C83.2111333@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
    > one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
    > un-named DOS suite?
    >
    > Tom

    I'll answer as Chip-a-roo-dee-doo would. "I never ever need to burn a CD."
    "So, why would I pay "extra" for such a useless feature!" Stupid as it
    sounds it is the same answer to tables in GeoWrite, or NewWrite or Writer or
    whatever the hell it's called. A rose by any other name is still a
    bare-bones, not in production 1992 word processor.

  13. Re: Living in the past

    "hyubso" wrote in message

    > Pipe Dream... maybe ina tech's house, but not your average persons
    > house.. most people find it easier to watch their DVDs on a cheap $50
    > hardware dvd player attached ot the huge tv set. I NEVER watch DVD's
    > on my PC, however, i do watch recorded simpsosns episodes on my tivo
    > -like TVtuner/hard drive recorder.. only becasue i am too cheap to buy
    > a real TIVO becasue they are not low cost products like the DVD player.

    Simply WRONG!

  14. Re: Living in the past

    In news:UyKMa.1350$NW6.595@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net,
    Bob wrote:
    | "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    | news:kZHMa.22261$C83.2111333@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    || I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
    || one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
    || un-named DOS suite?
    || Tom
    |
    | I'll answer as Chip-a-roo-dee-doo would. "I never ever need to burn a
    | CD." "So, why would I pay "extra" for such a useless feature!"
    | Stupid as it sounds it is the same answer to tables in GeoWrite, or
    | NewWrite or Writer or whatever the hell it's called. A rose by any
    | other name is still a bare-bones, not in production 1992 word
    | processor.

    Sure, Bob, but consider: my mother had no need to burn a CD until a few
    months ago when she got a digital camera and wanted to save the pics. My
    father uses Works and AOHell pretty exclusively. I think he might have a
    few times played a CD on his machine (It's one of those mini-screamer
    systems, too - they're wasting the clock cycles on screen savers). If it
    weren't for AOHell, they really could have been using Geos, because
    their computing *needs* haven't changed in 10 or 15 years. They only
    have that mini system because the 350mhz E-machine finally bit the dust!
    For them and a few old timers that I know, a GPC would actually be just
    fine.

    --
    Tom

  15. Re: Living in the past

    Corporations pay by the number of user seats or get a Global license.
    Geeeeezzzzzz!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > oh if only micrsooft would send out refund checks for all the unused
    > copies of windows that are sitting in corporate offices and people's
    > closets.. it would revive the economy better than any child tax credit

    > i would be happy if micorosft would stop halting the resale of old
    > copies of windows on ebay..
    >

    > Pat wrote:
    > > Yup, they use every (or
    > > practically every) feature and option and therefore get exactly what

    they
    > > pay for. Do you think John is ready to send out discount checks?

  16. Re: Living in the past

    I've no problem with that and never did. I ONLY have a problem with the
    nut-cases here that insist GEOS is viable to any but a small, tiny, fraction
    of a % of PC users and or buyers. They think it can someday become anything
    in the market place and it simply cannot ever, never become anything other
    then what it is today. A largely unsupported 16-bit real-mode DOS-based
    parasitic GUI that has very basic DTP, (for lack of a better term), app's.
    It offers no more, and because of that it can never be. For a NON_PC User
    user it is OK. But for even an average user it is not OK. The "next"
    generation of PC users buyers would NEVER even look at GEOS. It market is
    dried up. The proof is there. Even BBX isn't stupid enough to sell to the
    end user. When I was at New Deal's "shipping" dept. ( a 6 ft by 2 ft table),
    all I ever say was product "waiting" to be shipped. I never say anything
    ever actually go in a box, and I never saw a shipping label on a box. GWRX
    couldn't sell it, New Deal couldn't sell it, MyTurn, (with millions of
    dollars), couldn't sell it and BBX can't sell it. GEOS is a total could-ah
    been. 13 plus years ago. It is gone, and I think it is great that that
    happened, especially the way Clive raped the product. He sucked every last
    penny he could outta it and the only thing he did was "buy", (I'd guess he
    never really paid the bill), but buy the Internet apps from BBX.

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:jsXMa.23452$C83.2208904@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > In news:UyKMa.1350$NW6.595@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net,
    > Bob wrote:
    > | "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > | news:kZHMa.22261$C83.2111333@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > || I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
    > || one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
    > || un-named DOS suite?
    > || Tom
    > |
    > | I'll answer as Chip-a-roo-dee-doo would. "I never ever need to burn a
    > | CD." "So, why would I pay "extra" for such a useless feature!"
    > | Stupid as it sounds it is the same answer to tables in GeoWrite, or
    > | NewWrite or Writer or whatever the hell it's called. A rose by any
    > | other name is still a bare-bones, not in production 1992 word
    > | processor.
    >
    > Sure, Bob, but consider: my mother had no need to burn a CD until a few
    > months ago when she got a digital camera and wanted to save the pics. My
    > father uses Works and AOHell pretty exclusively. I think he might have a
    > few times played a CD on his machine (It's one of those mini-screamer
    > systems, too - they're wasting the clock cycles on screen savers). If it
    > weren't for AOHell, they really could have been using Geos, because
    > their computing *needs* haven't changed in 10 or 15 years. They only
    > have that mini system because the 350mhz E-machine finally bit the dust!
    > For them and a few old timers that I know, a GPC would actually be just
    > fine.
    >
    > --
    > Tom

  17. Re: Living in the past

    It is simply amazing the ignorance. Ever heard of site license?!?

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > Corporations pay by the number of user seats or get a Global license.
    > Geeeeezzzzzz!
    >

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > oh if only micrsooft would send out refund checks for all the unused
    > > copies of windows that are sitting in corporate offices and people's
    > > closets.. it would revive the economy better than any child tax credit

    > > i would be happy if micorosft would stop halting the resale of old
    > > copies of windows on ebay..
    > >

    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > Yup, they use every (or
    > > > practically every) feature and option and therefore get exactly what

    > they
    > > > pay for. Do you think John is ready to send out discount checks?

+ Reply to Thread