Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Well, smart is a big word, I would say with little or no respect of computers. Some kids are smart but many will also end up messing up. I still believe, by every day's practice, that knowing the command line ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Well, smart is a big word, I would say with little or no respect of computers.
    Some kids are smart but many will also end up messing up. I still believe,
    by every day's practice, that knowing the command line and it's commands
    is still quite useful. And I feel pity for those who refuse to learn it as
    it is often the emergency exit solving a problem.

    BR,
    Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > Kids are very smart and savvy about computers. For example, a smart four
    > year old is annoyed if you try to help them with using the computer. Don't
    > get your fingers near a smart kid who is hell bent on loading a game,

    I warn
    > you now. ;-)
    >
    > All kidding aside, its true, DOS is an ancient command line that mostly
    > older users have knowledge about!
    >

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.2003627523394922608@news1.teli a.com...
    > > Well, that is correct. I often meet Windows engineers who don't know

    how
    > > the DOS prompt works. They just can click on cute little icons. When

    they
    > > are forced to use the command line they shiver. OTOH, I have my bread

    > secured
    > > for the rest of my life. But *that* makes me stressed......will I ever

    get
    > > retired?
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >
    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.

    > > Kids
    > > > are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented.

    > rarely
    > > > see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example.

    > > The
    > > > average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers,

    > > but
    > > > the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.
    > > >

    > > > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > > manager,

    > tweaks
    > > > for

    in
    > COGM,
    > > > and***

    are
    > > easy

    > need
    > > > the

    > > that
    > > > ever

    in
    > > the
    > > > old AOL

    and
    > > fast

    > Ensemble
    > > > 2.01.

  2. Re: Living in the past

    when i have ot repair the software on a windows pc, which often means
    deleting and reinstalling windows, i use "deltree" and "attrib" to
    delectively delete all files and folder EXCEPT FOR DOCUMENT
    FOLDERS/files whic 99% fo the time people have not backed up.

    this way i get a clean windows installation without having to format the
    hard dive, preserving someone's precious documents without having ot
    reisntall a new windows on top of an old bad windows

    it is too difficult to do this inside of windows, especially one that
    is not running properly..

    Pat wrote:
    > Hans, would you go out
    > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using a GUI
    > interface?

  3. Re: Living in the past

    A better way is to do backups.

    Regards your "hanging judge" mentality vis--vis Windows, am I glad you're
    not my doctor. Every ailment would result in another organ being
    obliterated. LOL!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > when i have ot repair the software on a windows pc, which often means
    > deleting and reinstalling windows, i use "deltree" and "attrib" to
    > delectively delete all files and folder EXCEPT FOR DOCUMENT
    > FOLDERS/files whic 99% fo the time people have not backed up.
    >
    > this way i get a clean windows installation without having to format the
    > hard dive, preserving someone's precious documents without having ot
    > reisntall a new windows on top of an old bad windows
    >
    > it is too difficult to do this inside of windows, especially one that
    > is not running properly..
    >

    > Pat wrote:
    > > Hans, would you go out
    > > of your way to do something via command line if you could do it using a

    GUI
    > > interface?

  4. Re: Living in the past

    that is like telling aptient to quit smoking, and then getting them to
    actually do it.

    Pat wrote:
    > A better way is to do backups.
    >
    > Regards your "hanging judge" mentality vis--vis Windows, am I glad you're
    > not my doctor. Every ailment would result in another organ being
    > obliterated. LOL!

  5. Re: Living in the past

    No, its just good practice to do backups and nobody, not even those who are
    not found of me, will advocate otherwise, if in fact backing up is an doable
    option by the user.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > that is like telling aptient to quit smoking, and then getting them to
    > actually do it.
    >

    > Pat wrote:
    > > A better way is to do backups.
    > >
    > > Regards your "hanging judge" mentality vis--vis Windows, am I glad

    you're
    > > not my doctor. Every ailment would result in another organ being
    > > obliterated. LOL!

+ Reply to Thread