Why not? There are some companies selling computers bundeled with Linux.
You can buy computers from Dell with FreeDOS, Linux or Windows, by choice.
Isn't this way the PC concept should be? If there only would be Windows,
we could as well have Apple instead, there would most probably be no difference,
well running it at the client side, it would be an improvement.

I wouldn't mind Windows for those who wished for it, and that the OEM will
report the number of Windows licenses sold to Microsoft and payed the royalties,
and report the total number of computers sold, if Microsoft wished for it,
I can understand that it is very good to know the market position. But I
don't understand why they should know how many competetive licenses sold.
And I don't understand why they have the right to charge for every computer
sold. That was the point that former Geoworks CEO, Gordon Mayer, made in
a TV documental about Microsoft. If a user back in the ninties wanted DR-DOS
and Geoworks Ensemble bundled with the computer he would have to pay for
MS-DOS, MS-Windows, DR-DOS and Geoworks Ensemble. Or if the user wanted IBM
OS/2, he would have to pay for MS-DOS, MS-Windows and OS/2. If an OEM refused
the Microsoft business practice, there was no OEM MS-DOS or MS-Windows, for
the OEM and in the long run, the customer. I know all about this. Because
I have worked in an OEM. I know a lot more, but I can't tell you, my tounge
is tied. The bad thing is that the US authorities was so slow in their process,
they should have acted much more faster and prompter stopping their business
practice. As we all know they acted too late and we have the current situation.

Well of course Microsoft, Breadbox, IBM, Electronic Arts or whatever called,
should have their license fees, no doubt about that, but if the same companies
would have the same business practice as Microsoft had, they should be treated
the same way as Enron!

BR,
Hans

Bob wrote:
> An OEM would not ever in today's market place wish to sell a PC not loaded
> with Windows. And yes of course Microsoft charges a license fee. What
> business would not? BBX doesn't charge if Ensemble is loaded???
>
> "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
> news:NewsReader.1.0.200362640321321872@news1.telia .com...
> > Actually, you are wrong here, Microsoft puts pressure on OEMs, they

want
> > statistics of every PC sold, including those without OS or a competetive
> > OS installed. If you will not provide such statistics, you are down

and
> out
> > as a Microsoft OEM. That's the fact. Previously they also claimed a

> license
> > fee of every PC sold, including the PCs with no OS and the competetive

> OSes,
> > too, but I don't know the present situation, but I will imagine it will

be
> > pretty much the same. Much wants more, as we say in Sweden...........
> >
> > BR,
> > Hans
> >
> > Bob wrote:
> > > One need not pressure them. OEM's LOVE the fact that consumers DEMAND
> > > Windows on their PC's!
> > >
> > > "hyubso" wrote in message
> > > news:3EF9D1C4.30703@prodigy.net...
> > > > if msft software is so good, there is no need to pressure pc
> > > > manufacturers to preload it on pcs because people will demand windows
> > > > and buy it anyhow..
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > what is microsoft so afraid of.. a buggy whip os like geos being
> > > > installed on a computer?? Microsoft knows that geos is as useless

> > as a
> > > > buggy whip...
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Microsoft, he said, puts enormous pressure on CPU manufactures

to
> > > > >> package Windows with their machines and to prevent them from

either
> > > > >> packaging no Operating System or a competing OS on their machines.
> > > > >> "Several companies dared to put Linux on their boxes, but due

to
> > > > >> enormous pressure from Redmond, they quit doing so," he claimed.
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>
>