modem connecion gets "kicked out"? - GEOS

This is a discussion on modem connecion gets "kicked out"? - GEOS ; Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with NDO have become more and more unstable. This has nothing to do with the inferiority of Skipper or NewMail. It also happens with VNC Viewer, which normally is ...

  1. modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
    NDO have become more and more unstable. This has nothing to do with
    the inferiority of Skipper or NewMail. It also happens with VNC
    Viewer, which normally is a very reliable application. It also
    happens with different machines connecting to different providers,
    although some providers are more prone than others.

    I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
    servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
    connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
    by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
    a KR crash.

    Does this non-technical description make sense to anyone?

    Holger

  2. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    Holger Laux schrieb:

    > I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
    > servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
    > connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
    > by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
    > a KR crash.

    Either this or your phone line is rusting away

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  3. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:16:54 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    >Holger Laux schrieb:
    >
    >> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
    >> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
    >> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
    >> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
    >> a KR crash.

    >Either this or your phone line is rusting away

    It happens here in the UK as well as in Germany. My mother is
    complaining that she cannot download her mail anymore, because the
    line gets interrupted.

    Holger

  4. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
    > NDO have become more and more unstable.

    Oh no! Please say it ain't so. How can such a thing be in such an elegant
    OS?

  5. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    Sounds like you have "waiting call" enabled. In Windows you can disable
    this "feature" by unchecking a box, in GEOS, you must disable this in the
    modem setup.

    BR,
    Hans

    Holger Laux wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:16:54 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Holger Laux schrieb:
    > >
    > >> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
    > >> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the

    NDO
    > >> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
    > >> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted"

    or
    > >> a KR crash.

    > >Either this or your phone line is rusting away

    > It happens here in the UK as well as in Germany. My mother is
    > complaining that she cannot download her mail anymore, because the
    > line gets interrupted.
    >
    > Holger

  6. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:36:26 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

    >"Holger Laux" wrote in message
    >> Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
    >> NDO have become more and more unstable.

    >Oh no! Please say it ain't so. How can such a thing be in such an elegant
    >OS?

    This was my question: It is not the OS that has deteriorated but the
    quality of the connections. In the worst case, I had a set-up that
    worked absolutely fine. Then I put the computer aside for a year and
    when I tried to re-connect it, the link was flaky.

    Holger

  7. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:06:58 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    >Sounds like you have "waiting call" enabled. In Windows you can disable
    >this "feature" by unchecking a box, in GEOS, you must disable this in the
    >modem setup.

    I don't have a manual for that modem. Is there a standard Hayes
    command to do this?

    Holger

  8. Re: modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

    Holger Laux schrieb:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:16:54 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Holger Laux schrieb:
    > >
    > >> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
    > >> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
    > >> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
    > >> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
    > >> a KR crash.

    > >Either this or your phone line is rusting away

    > It happens here in the UK as well as in Germany. My mother is
    > complaining that she cannot download her mail anymore, because the
    > line gets interrupted.

    Well, another possibility is that the phone company is sending a
    notification tone if someone wants to call you while the line is busy.
    This would interrupt the data connection.
    Same once did the 'time tick' signal sent by the phone company (upon
    request, as it di cost additional fee) to trigger a connection cost
    counter. You couldn't use even old 14.4 modems on lines with this
    signal.

    The waiting call notification can (at least in Germany) be enabled and
    disabled by dialing a certain #xxx* sequence.

    And as last possibility: well, electronic devices do age even if unused.
    Perhaps your modem has problems. maybe oxydated contacts on the line
    plug or whatever.

    Grossibaer

+ Reply to Thread