Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; ***Minor Setup. GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory manager, plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks for various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM, and*** Pat, there are a ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    ***Minor Setup. GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory manager,
    plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks for
    various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM, and***

    Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are easy to
    learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who need the
    help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little that ever
    needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in the old AOL
    forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and fast
    systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble 2.01.
    Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  2. Re: Living in the past

    Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities. Kids
    are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I rarely
    see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example. The
    average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers, but
    the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Minor Setup. GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory

    manager,
    > plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks

    for
    > various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM,

    and***

    > Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are easy

    > learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who need

    the
    > help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little that

    ever
    > needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in the

    old AOL
    > forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and fast
    > systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble

    2.01.
    > Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  3. Re: Living in the past

    Across our 42 campuses "we" have dropped DOS training some 2 years ago.

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.

    Kids
    > are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I

    rarely
    > see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example. The
    > average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers, but
    > the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.
    >

    > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > ***Minor Setup. GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory

    > manager,
    > > plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks

    > for
    > > various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM,

    > and***
    > >
    > > Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are easy

    > > learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who need

    > the
    > > help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little

    that
    > ever
    > > needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in the

    > old AOL
    > > forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and fast
    > > systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble

    > 2.01.
    > > Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.
    > >

    > > Chip Blank
    > > GUI
    > > GeoGrafix
    > >
    > > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  4. Re: Living in the past

    Kids are very smart and savvy about computers. For example, a smart four
    year old is annoyed if you try to help them with using the computer. Don't
    get your fingers near a smart kid who is hell bent on loading a game, I warn
    you now. ;-)

    All kidding aside, its true, DOS is an ancient command line that mostly
    older users have knowledge about!

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003627523394922608@news1.teli a.com...
    > Well, that is correct. I often meet Windows engineers who don't know how
    > the DOS prompt works. They just can click on cute little icons. When they
    > are forced to use the command line they shiver. OTOH, I have my bread

    secured
    > for the rest of my life. But *that* makes me stressed......will I ever get
    > retired?
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > Pat wrote:
    > > Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.

    > Kids
    > > are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I

    rarely
    > > see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example.

    > The
    > > average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers,

    > but
    > > the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.
    > >

    > > "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > > > ***Minor Setup. GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory

    > > manager,
    > > > plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS

    tweaks
    > > for
    > > > various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in

    COGM,
    > > and***
    > > >
    > > > Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are

    > easy
    > > > learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who

    need
    > > the
    > > > help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little

    > that
    > > ever
    > > > needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in

    > the
    > > old AOL
    > > > forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and

    > fast
    > > > systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than

    Ensemble
    > > 2.01.
    > > > Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.
    > > >

    > > > Chip Blank
    > > > GUI
    > > > GeoGrafix
    > > >
    > > > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > > > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

+ Reply to Thread