Well, yes the "Global PC" is an appliance and a computer. The name "Global
PC" is misguiding, I think. The PC is a concept founded by IBM, and the whole
idea of the concept is that the user installs whatever hardware or software
that he or she wants to use into this computer, but in the GPC the hardware
is predefined and the software is predefined to some extent, and can not
be changed, therefore it can't be a PC. This doesn't make the PC a better
computer per definition compared to a GPC, only more flexible. There is also
another error made in many of the debates, both in this forum and others.
The Global PC is not a 486 computer appliance. It uses an AMD Elan chip,
which utilizes a 486 AMD CPU, but also includes other optimized features
on the same chip optimized with the CPU, which gives it power and performance
beyond 486 CPU:s. The Elan chip is an optimized chip made for an optimized
software, by calling it a 486 it is as erroneus as calling a 486 a 386 or
a Pentium a 486. It is hard to compare a Elan chip to a 486 as it will most
probably perform more like a Pentium. The Elan chip is not a Pentium nor
a 486, it is a different creature.........an Elan chip.......simple as that........
I have worked with the Elan chips and I am very impressed. It is a very good
and reliable chip in computers designed for special tasks.

You are correct that a laptop or notebooks or whatever they are called,
is not a PC. Even branded computers, which are called PCs are not PCs. They
are called PCs, because they belong to the same architecture, the intel
x86, but then the GPC is also a PC, so the analogy is lacking here. No doubt
about that!

The primary cause why the GPC failed I think is the broken IT-bubble. There
are many subcauses too, but the primary cause that they could not obtain
more money from riskcapitalists, just as NewDeal. The GPC is not alone. Many
IT companies with great ideas have gone the same way. The third generations
mobile net is delayed, facing the same problem, shortness or lack of money.

BR,
Hans

hyubso wrote:
> so i guess you are saying that an old first generation 486sx16 laptop
> computer, upgradeable to 8mb max ram (if you can find the ram), with

> max 300mb hard drive, and one pcmcia slot for a 14.4 modem, is a real
> computer , while a gpc with better specs is an appliance??
>
> most laptop computer owners do not tinker under the hood, and most would
> say their laptops are not appliances, but computers..
>

> this is why the GPC died.. intelligent people in the industry
> intentionally trashing a perfectly good product, and GPC marketers
> unable ot overcome that trashing...
>

> Pat wrote:
> > My originally post claimed the GPC was "in the family" of an applicance

PC.
> > With a 486, you can make it a Pentium via an Overdrive upgrade, for

example.
> > You can boost the memory, add adapters, improve or upgrade the BIOS,

and do
> > other mods to the motherboard from off the shelf parts at competitive
> > pricing. Appliance PCs are not made for that purpose. 99.9% of the owners

of
> > appliance PCs are never going to tinker under the hood. Yet many owners

of
> > 486s, over the years, have had the covers off and made multiple upgrades.
> >

> > "hyubso" wrote in message
> >
> >>the global pc is no more an "appliance pc" than a clone 486/100 running
> >>windows with 8mb ram and a 4gb hard drive and a 56k modem.
> >>
> >>if i erased the hard drive on the GPC and installed ms-dos6.2 adn
> >>windows 3.1, or even installed win95 or win98se, would you still call
> >>it an appliance??
> >>
> >>an appliance is a webtv.. a very limited in usefullness device which
> >>totally useless if you do not have the overpriced webtv service.. a
> >>computer running windows or geos is more versatile.. like being able

> >>write letters, do spreadsheets, create nice graphics based documents,
> >>use the internet, etc etc,etc,.. a sigle funciton device is an
> >>appliance.. a multifunciton device is a computer..
> >>
> >>and by the way, thanks to GWREPRAY emailing me a small patch
> >>(update0.pak -- which was incredibly easy to install.. a no brainer..

> >>am so impressed with this GPC.. it is the real "idiots computer" for
> >>people who do not want to buy idiot books), i was online with prodigy

on
> >>my global pc "appliance" doing things this evening like reading the

new
> >>york times online, checking rebates on computer part purchases and
> >>checking my yahoo email..
> >>
> >>and not one lockup either...
> >>
> >>more later..

> > end