Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; Pat wrote: > > > GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS memory > manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on > DOS. i did not have to ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    Pat wrote:

    > GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS memory
    > manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
    > DOS.

    i did not have to learn any dos comnads on the new global pc i just got
    off of ebay.. in fact, it boots faster, is less noisy (actually totally
    silnet)it was easier to learn than windows 95. alos, win95 relies
    more on dos than does geos. try running win95 or 98 without himem.sys
    being loaded.

    > GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality output,
    > but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.

    a geos printout on an HP LaserJet 4L looks fabulous.. no reasonable
    person would say it is bad or limited or out of date or whatever other
    dumb term you come up wiht to describe what in reality is fabulous output.

    > When in fact, GEOS
    > lost the GENERAL FEATURES war when Windows 95 came out, and has been trying
    > to catch up ever since.

    baloney.. geos wins hands down in general features such as speed and
    ease of installation, compatability among native apps. ( ever try
    getting the spell checker ot work on outlook express 6 and winxp -- ha
    ha -- spend a ton of money on new improved junk and you still have to
    hire a tech to fix microsoft mistakes / errors and ommissions!), return
    on investment in computer hardware, also, a barebones win95 or win98
    installation leaves you wiht limited apps, unlike geos, where one gets
    full featuredd apps with the software package. with winodws you are
    out big $$$ unless you bootleg your software or find it at goodwill or
    buy it used off of ebay.

    >For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
    > office apps have had many improvements.

    the office apps are so good it is not wise to spend limited time adn
    money adding small features when that $$ and time could be better spent
    improving the internet apps.

  2. Re: Living in the past

    the global pc is no more an "appliance pc" than a clone 486/100 running
    windows with 8mb ram and a 4gb hard drive and a 56k modem.

    if i erased the hard drive on the GPC and installed ms-dos6.2 adn
    windows 3.1, or even installed win95 or win98se, would you still call
    it an appliance??

    an appliance is a webtv.. a very limited in usefullness device which
    totally useless if you do not have the overpriced webtv service.. a
    computer running windows or geos is more versatile.. like being able to
    write letters, do spreadsheets, create nice graphics based documents,
    use the internet, etc etc,etc,.. a sigle funciton device is an
    appliance.. a multifunciton device is a computer..

    and by the way, thanks to GWREPRAY emailing me a small patch
    (update0.pak -- which was incredibly easy to install.. a no brainer.. i
    am so impressed with this GPC.. it is the real "idiots computer" for
    people who do not want to buy idiot books), i was online with prodigy on
    my global pc "appliance" doing things this evening like reading the new
    york times online, checking rebates on computer part purchases and
    checking my yahoo email..

    and not one lockup either...

    more later..

    Pat wrote:
    > Hyubso,
    >
    > The GPC its designed to be in the family of an applicance PC. A closed end
    > system that has limited scaleability. Great if it does exactly what you
    > want, but a potential whore if it does not. If you are on an applicance PC,
    > like the GPC or the Brother notebook, for example, then you are more
    > insulated from the necessity of learning about memory managers and the like.
    > You're also closed out of doing all the things that a non-applicance PC is
    > capable of providing its owner.
    >
    > For non-applicance PCs, if I had not read through scores of GEOS and DOS
    > related "Tweaking Issues" over the years, then I would be inclined to think
    > it wasn't a problem.
    >

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >

    >>Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS

    > memory
    >
    >>>manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily

    > on
    >
    >>>DOS.

    >>i did not have to learn any dos comnads on the new global pc i just got
    >>off of ebay.. in fact, it boots faster, is less noisy (actually totally
    >>silnet)it was easier to learn than windows 95. alos, win95 relies
    >>more on dos than does geos. try running win95 or 98 without himem.sys
    >>being loaded.
    >>

    >>>GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality

    > output,
    >
    >>>but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.

    >>a geos printout on an HP LaserJet 4L looks fabulous.. no reasonable
    >>person would say it is bad or limited or out of date or whatever other
    >>dumb term you come up wiht to describe what in reality is fabulous output.
    >>

    >>>When in fact, GEOS
    >>>lost the GENERAL FEATURES war when Windows 95 came out, and has been

    > trying
    >
    >>>to catch up ever since.

    >>baloney.. geos wins hands down in general features such as speed and
    >>ease of installation, compatability among native apps. ( ever try
    >>getting the spell checker ot work on outlook express 6 and winxp -- ha
    >>ha -- spend a ton of money on new improved junk and you still have to
    >>hire a tech to fix microsoft mistakes / errors and ommissions!), return
    >>on investment in computer hardware, also, a barebones win95 or win98
    >>installation leaves you wiht limited apps, unlike geos, where one gets
    >>full featuredd apps with the software package. with winodws you are
    >>out big $$$ unless you bootleg your software or find it at goodwill or
    >>buy it used off of ebay.
    >>

    >>>For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
    >>>office apps have had many improvements.

    >>the office apps are so good it is not wise to spend limited time adn
    >>money adding small features when that $$ and time could be better spent
    >>improving the internet apps.

  3. Re: Living in the past

    My originally post claimed the GPC was "in the family" of an applicance PC.
    With a 486, you can make it a Pentium via an Overdrive upgrade, for example.
    You can boost the memory, add adapters, improve or upgrade the BIOS, and do
    other mods to the motherboard from off the shelf parts at competitive
    pricing. Appliance PCs are not made for that purpose. 99.9% of the owners of
    appliance PCs are never going to tinker under the hood. Yet many owners of
    486s, over the years, have had the covers off and made multiple upgrades.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > trying

    > >>baloney.. geos wins hands down in general features such as speed and
    > >>ease of installation, compatability among native apps. ( ever try
    > >>getting the spell checker ot work on outlook express 6 and winxp -- ha
    > >>ha -- spend a ton of money on new improved junk and you still have to
    > >>hire a tech to fix microsoft mistakes / errors and ommissions!), return
    > >>on investment in computer hardware, also, a barebones win95 or win98
    > >>installation leaves you wiht limited apps, unlike geos, where one gets
    > >>full featuredd apps with the software package. with winodws you are
    > >>out big $$$ unless you bootleg your software or find it at goodwill or
    > >>buy it used off of ebay.

    > >>the office apps are so good it is not wise to spend limited time adn
    > >>money adding small features when that $$ and time could be better spent

  4. Re: Living in the past

    so i guess you are saying that an old first generation 486sx16 laptop
    computer, upgradeable to 8mb max ram (if you can find the ram), with a
    max 300mb hard drive, and one pcmcia slot for a 14.4 modem, is a real
    computer , while a gpc with better specs is an appliance??

    most laptop computer owners do not tinker under the hood, and most would
    say their laptops are not appliances, but computers..

    this is why the GPC died.. intelligent people in the industry
    intentionally trashing a perfectly good product, and GPC marketers
    unable ot overcome that trashing...

    Pat wrote:
    > My originally post claimed the GPC was "in the family" of an applicance PC.
    > With a 486, you can make it a Pentium via an Overdrive upgrade, for example.
    > You can boost the memory, add adapters, improve or upgrade the BIOS, and do
    > other mods to the motherboard from off the shelf parts at competitive
    > pricing. Appliance PCs are not made for that purpose. 99.9% of the owners of
    > appliance PCs are never going to tinker under the hood. Yet many owners of
    > 486s, over the years, have had the covers off and made multiple upgrades.
    >

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>the global pc is no more an "appliance pc" than a clone 486/100 running
    >>windows with 8mb ram and a 4gb hard drive and a 56k modem.
    >>
    >>if i erased the hard drive on the GPC and installed ms-dos6.2 adn
    >>windows 3.1, or even installed win95 or win98se, would you still call
    >>it an appliance??
    >>
    >>an appliance is a webtv.. a very limited in usefullness device which
    >>totally useless if you do not have the overpriced webtv service.. a
    >>computer running windows or geos is more versatile.. like being able to
    >>write letters, do spreadsheets, create nice graphics based documents,
    >>use the internet, etc etc,etc,.. a sigle funciton device is an
    >>appliance.. a multifunciton device is a computer..
    >>
    >>and by the way, thanks to GWREPRAY emailing me a small patch
    >>(update0.pak -- which was incredibly easy to install.. a no brainer.. i
    >>am so impressed with this GPC.. it is the real "idiots computer" for
    >>people who do not want to buy idiot books), i was online with prodigy on
    >>my global pc "appliance" doing things this evening like reading the new
    >>york times online, checking rebates on computer part purchases and
    >>checking my yahoo email..
    >>
    >>and not one lockup either...
    >>
    >>more later..
    >>

    >>Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hyubso,
    >>>
    >>>The GPC its designed to be in the family of an applicance PC. A closed

    > end
    >
    >>>system that has limited scaleability. Great if it does exactly what you
    >>>want, but a potential whore if it does not. If you are on an applicance

    > PC,
    >
    >>>like the GPC or the Brother notebook, for example, then you are more
    >>>insulated from the necessity of learning about memory managers and the

    > like.
    >
    >>>You're also closed out of doing all the things that a non-applicance PC

    > is
    >
    >>>capable of providing its owner.
    >>>
    >>>For non-applicance PCs, if I had not read through scores of GEOS and DOS
    >>>related "Tweaking Issues" over the years, then I would be inclined to

    > think
    >
    >>>it wasn't a problem.
    >>>

    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message

    >>>memory

    >>>on

    >>>output,

    > output.

    >>>trying

  5. Re: Living in the past

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > so i guess you are saying that an old first generation 486sx16 laptop
    > computer, upgradeable to 8mb max ram (if you can find the ram), with a
    > max 300mb hard drive, and one pcmcia slot for a 14.4 modem, is a real
    > computer , while a gpc with better specs is an appliance??

    I was talking desktop vs. GPC. Laptop vs. GeoBook. Don't want to mix
    metaphors.

    > most laptop computer owners do not tinker under the hood, and most would
    > say their laptops are not appliances, but computers..

    Gee, I thought I was clearly talking about a desktop. And people open up
    their desktops to install hardware.

    > this is why the GPC died.. intelligent people in the industry
    > intentionally trashing a perfectly good product, and GPC marketers
    > unable ot overcome that trashing...

    I am guessing the GPC died because it ran into the meltdown of the NASDAQ
    market, which brought down a ton of companies who used equity to fund
    projects. In addition, the Venture Capitalists stopped handing over cash.
    Money is what lubricates the internal workings of manufacturers.

  6. Re: Living in the past

    Pat wrote:

    > I am guessing the GPC died because it ran into the meltdown of the NASDAQ
    > market, which brought down a ton of companies who used equity to fund
    > projects. In addition, the Venture Capitalists stopped handing over cash.
    > Money is what lubricates the internal workings of manufacturers.

    Agreed!

    BR,
    Hans

    PS. Sorry for chopping down your message, but I found the rest quite not
    that interesting DS

+ Reply to Thread