Re: GROT is back ! - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: GROT is back ! - GEOS ; Hi Philippe, that was fun , reading those old postings on GROT. Do you own a Zoomer? Never seen it in Belgium. When I bought my OGO, GROT wasn't there anymore. Although I like the OMNIGO ONLINE site the most. ...

  1. Re: GROT is back !

    Hi Philippe,

    that was fun , reading those old postings on GROT.

    Do you own a Zoomer? Never seen it in Belgium.
    When I bought my OGO, GROT wasn't there anymore.
    Although I like the OMNIGO ONLINE site the most.

    Strangely enough it went down on this very September 11, 2001!
    Never managed to contact Tom Doan afterwards. :-(

    Parts of the website are available, look at GEOS infobase links.

    Edward

    "Philippe Dallemagne" schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just noticed that http://www.grot.com/zoomer/ (the famous grot) is
    > back online. Nothing new added to the site, but still I was sad when it
    > disappeared some years ago.
    >
    > GEOS resurrection ;-) ?
    >
    > Philippe.

  2. Re: GROT is back !

    Hi Edward,

    Edward Nijs wrote:

    > Hi Philippe,
    >
    > that was fun , reading those old postings on GROT.
    >
    > Do you own a Zoomer?

    I own three of them (two Casio Z-7000 and a Tandy Zoomer). I bought the
    first in 96 (IIRC, at this time the Palm was just taking in France), the
    second one (for my wife) second-hand from the US in 97, the third one
    (bought as a backup) by chance in 98 along PalmConnect. Not that cheap,
    but one of them is still used daily. I moved in 2000 for a Nokia 9110.

    I am still a fan of the Zoomer in spite of its slow reactions and its
    screen that is hard to read in low-light conditions. The applications
    are very well done, simple and complete. Of course you miss the wireless
    connectivity, but I also enjoy its autonomy. You can also take advantage
    of its size, making drawings easy and clear. Finally you can run almost
    any GEOS desktop application, provided it takes care of the screen size.
    Write and Calc can be used, although they are not very performant.

    OT, yesterday I thought about preparing some simple slides on my
    Ericsson MC16. Uh ! you can't even type a single character in Pocket
    Powerpoint. You can only slowly browse the imported presentations
    (small, no animations apparently). Crap. The Zoomer beats it hands down.

    > Never seen it in Belgium.
    > When I bought my OGO, GROT wasn't there anymore.
    > Although I like the OMNIGO ONLINE site the most.
    >
    > Strangely enough it went down on this very September 11, 2001!
    > Never managed to contact Tom Doan afterwards. :-(
    >
    > Parts of the website are available, look at GEOS infobase links.

    I know it very well. I also have parts of it.

    Philippe.

    > Edward
    >
    > "Philippe Dallemagne" schreef in bericht
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just noticed that http://www.grot.com/zoomer/ (the famous grot) is
    > > back online. Nothing new added to the site, but still I was sad when it
    > > disappeared some years ago.
    > >
    > > GEOS resurrection ;-) ?
    > >
    > > Philippe.

+ Reply to Thread