Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead - GEOS ; IF the GPC had a simm slot or two, users not satisfied with the geos software could have installed w98SE on it, just like you did on your 486/100, and then the GPC hardware would have been more marketable,would have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    IF the GPC had a simm slot or two, users not satisfied with the geos
    software could have installed w98SE on it, just like you did on your
    486/100, and then the GPC hardware would have been more marketable,would
    have had a much longer life.. and maybe Myturn the company would have
    survived???

    Pat wrote:
    > Geeeeeeez, Windows 95 brings back memories. I once owned a 486/100, with
    > 64MB, that ran Windows 95, upgraded it to Windows 98 and then Windows 98SE.
    > My only problem was that new versions of Real Audio would not work on less
    > than a Pentium PC, but good old Windows Meida player was fine with stream
    > audio/video. I gave it to a 10 year old so she could use it as an Internet
    > PC. It has IE 6, Office Pro 97, and more. That dispels the mean spirited
    > rumor that Windows is not an option at the low end. However, I must admit
    > that I had good quality motherboard, memory, and disk drives. A good house
    > needs a solid fondation!

  2. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    "Pat" wrote in message
    > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free if
    > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high subscription
    > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular companies
    > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

    Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC was
    configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to nothing
    off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking a
    shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why else
    would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
    millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter failure
    it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed. Has
    been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
    cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of the
    beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure one
    has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have nothin'
    to lose.

  3. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Sort of like Gillette giving away the razors to sell you the razor blades.
    ;-)

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free

    if
    > > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high

    subscription
    > > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular

    companies
    > > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

    > Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC was
    > configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to

    nothing
    > off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking a
    > shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why else
    > would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
    > millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter

    failure
    > it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed. Has
    > been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
    > cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of

    the
    > beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure

    one
    > has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have

    nothin'
    > to lose.

  4. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    if you are using geos to build an isp, then send out geos on a compact
    disk like aol did, and send a hardware modem with it if the enduser is
    stuck with an awful winmodem... this would ahve been a lot cheaper than
    sending out a perfectly good, powerful enough but ridiculed in the press
    whole computer that ended up not selling.

    a geos based product selling for under $100 would ahve been fine tied
    ot Myturns ISP only.. just like a web tv.. but for a much more
    expensive pc, myturn should have partnered with all the major pure
    internet isps -- prodigy, earthlink, netzero , etc (but of course not
    MSN).. and taken a cut of any isp subscription revenue from GPC based
    internet users. going it alone against microsoft is suicidal

    and the LAST thing MYTurN should have wanted was peopel NOT BUYING the
    GPC at all, leaving it on store shelves and in warehouses, ridiculed for
    its perceived high price (when compared to ISP subsidized PCs) and its
    supposedly (but not really) out of date hardware which even pat of all
    people admits you can put win98se on .

    build the GPC into a keyboard coputer nowadays with usb2.0 ports, a
    32mb USB drive with geos preloaded, no hard drive, no floppy, no CDROM,
    but with ethernet adn the 56k modem , sell it as cheaply as possible..
    won't go over in america but it just might overseas in all those
    countries considering using linux to get out from under microsoft's
    oppressive and expensive licensing schemes...

    Bob wrote:

    > MyTurn was only going to make any money if the buyers of the GPC bought the
    > ISP plan MyTurn was doing. That was their whole source of revenue. That was,
    > (and being in on the ground level I know), their entire source of money.
    > They couldn't give two flying leaps about the rest of it. The LAST thing
    > they wanted was for folks to buy the GPC and then not use GEOS and the
    > MyTurn ISP setup! God, how naive are you!

  5. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    evidently my earlier reply ot this mesage did not get posted.. so much
    for reliable windows softare for posting newsgroup messages...

    anyhow... here goes again...

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted references to
    > GEOS with "buggy whips" in this post:
    >
    > "nothing with buggy whips are doomed.. buggy whips are a very useful,
    > high quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects
    > to competitive offerings. Buggy whips have been marginalized by
    > unethical competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a
    > perceived too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which
    > became THE insurmountable obstacle to selling buggy whips."

    yes , funny, but buggy whips wre used for buggies which were replaced by
    cars. no buggies, no buggy whips.

    > Okay, maybe that was unfair. Let's try this:
    >
    > "nothing with Amigas are doomed.. Amigas are a very useful, high
    > quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    > competitive offerings. Amigas have been marginalized by unethical
    > competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    > too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    > THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Amigas."

    even more funny... amiga hardware is no longer manufactured.. peopole
    cannot buy amiga hardware lke they can ibm hardware, on which geos runs
    just fine.

    > Hmm, that seems a bit harsh. Let's try another:
    >
    > "nothing with Betamax is doomed.. Betamax is a very useful, high
    > quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    > competitive offerings. Betamax has been marginalized by unethical
    > competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    > too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    > THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Betamax."

    and this is the funniest analogy of all.. you can't insert a betamax
    tape into a vhs vcr... it just won't go.. . but you can put a 1.44mb
    floppy with geos install files into any ibm clone, and that clone will
    read the disk and install geos!

    so in summary, geos is not doomed, is not obsolete, is as usabale today
    as is windows on the newsest hardware you can buy, and all the above
    analogies suck.. please think of something better.

  6. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Then why aren't you using Newsreader??????????? WHY!?!?

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > evidently my earlier reply ot this mesage did not get posted.. so much
    > for reliable windows softare for posting newsgroup messages...
    >

    > anyhow... here goes again...
    >

    > Tom Accuosti wrote:
    >

    > > I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted references to
    > > GEOS with "buggy whips" in this post:
    > >
    > > "nothing with buggy whips are doomed.. buggy whips are a very useful,
    > > high quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects
    > > to competitive offerings. Buggy whips have been marginalized by
    > > unethical competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a
    > > perceived too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which
    > > became THE insurmountable obstacle to selling buggy whips."

    > yes , funny, but buggy whips wre used for buggies which were replaced by
    > cars. no buggies, no buggy whips.
    >

    > > Okay, maybe that was unfair. Let's try this:
    > >
    > > "nothing with Amigas are doomed.. Amigas are a very useful, high
    > > quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    > > competitive offerings. Amigas have been marginalized by unethical
    > > competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    > > too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    > > THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Amigas."

    > even more funny... amiga hardware is no longer manufactured.. peopole
    > cannot buy amiga hardware lke they can ibm hardware, on which geos runs
    > just fine.
    >

    > > Hmm, that seems a bit harsh. Let's try another:
    > >
    > > "nothing with Betamax is doomed.. Betamax is a very useful, high
    > > quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    > > competitive offerings. Betamax has been marginalized by unethical
    > > competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    > > too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    > > THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Betamax."

    > and this is the funniest analogy of all.. you can't insert a betamax
    > tape into a vhs vcr... it just won't go.. . but you can put a 1.44mb
    > floppy with geos install files into any ibm clone, and that clone will
    > read the disk and install geos!
    >

    > so in summary, geos is not doomed, is not obsolete, is as usabale today
    > as is windows on the newsest hardware you can buy, and all the above
    > analogies suck.. please think of something better.

  7. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Well, we have great hopes then, as Microsoft started back in Bill Gates
    parents garage with .........was is Paul Allen?
    My memory lacks and I can't recall correctly, sorry! With Frank as the financial
    genius and John as the programmer the future looks bright, they only need
    to find the magic device to load GEOS32 on....... Cheers to Breadbox!

    BR,
    Hans

    Bob wrote:
    > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free

    if
    > > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high subscription
    > > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular companies
    > > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

    > Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC

    was
    > configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to nothing
    > off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking

    > shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why

    else
    > would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
    > millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter failure
    > it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed.

    Has
    > been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
    > cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of

    the
    > beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure

    one
    > has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have nothin'
    > to lose.

  8. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Aren't they? They seem dead cheap to me....... Seems to be normal business
    practice.

    BR,
    Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > Sort of like Gillette giving away the razors to sell you the razor blades.
    > ;-)
    >

    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for

    free
    > if
    > > > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high

    > subscription
    > > > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular

    > companies
    > > > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

    > > Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC

    was
    > > configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to

    > nothing
    > > off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking

    > > shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why

    else
    > > would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of

    the
    > > millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter

    > failure
    > > it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed.

    Has
    > > been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with

    the
    > > cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand

    of
    > the
    > > beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure

    > one
    > > has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have

    > nothin'
    > > to lose.

  9. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    In news:3EF9EDD7.2070903@prodigy.net,
    hyubso wrote:
    | evidently my earlier reply ot this mesage did not get posted.. so
    | much for reliable windows softare for posting newsgroup messages...

    Maybe it's because you don't know how to use a Windows newsreader.
    Maybe it's because the Linux-based server dropped the post.
    Maybe it's just one of those things that happens sometiems on the net.

    | Tom Accuosti wrote:

    || I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted references to
    || GEOS with "buggy whips" in this post:
    || "nothing with buggy whips are doomed.. buggy whips are a very
    || useful, high quality product every bit as good adn even better in
    || many respects to competitive offerings. Buggy whips have been
    || marginalized by unethical competition adn poor makreting/managemnt
    || decisions and by a perceived too high of a price, relative ot other
    || marekt offerings, which became THE insurmountable obstacle to
    || selling buggy whips."
    |
    | yes , funny, but buggy whips wre used for buggies which were replaced
    | by cars. no buggies, no buggy whips.

    The analogy wasnt' perfect (that's why it's an analogy) but let's play:
    There are some hobbyists and possibly Amish communities that still use
    BW's. I'll bet a few of my friends can produce a few, and a quick Google
    search turns up a number of companies that sell these products, although
    not for horses. BW's were a perfectly good item that became phased out
    because better, er, newer technologies evolved in the marketplace.

    || Okay, maybe that was unfair. Let's try this:
    || "nothing with Amigas are doomed.. Amigas are a very useful, high
    || quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    || competitive offerings. Amigas have been marginalized by unethical
    || competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    || too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    || THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Amigas."
    |

    | even more funny... amiga hardware is no longer manufactured.. peopole
    | cannot buy amiga hardware lke they can ibm hardware, on which geos
    | runs just fine.

    Yes, AMiga is defunct, but there are user groups, in fact, quite a few
    more Amiga aficionados exist than do for GEOS . You can get some
    replacement parts, and eBay has a number of them. Working Amigas are
    still functional for writing letters and balancing your checkbook, and
    some people *still* write programs for the things. Again, though, these
    people are hobbyists. Most of them are aware that technological advances
    make the Amiga obsolete. They stay with the product because they *like*
    it, but they're willign to admit that they use Win/Linux or other
    machines.

    || Hmm, that seems a bit harsh. Let's try another:
    || "nothing with Betamax is doomed.. Betamax is a very useful, high
    || quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
    || competitive offerings. Betamax has been marginalized by unethical
    || competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
    || too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
    || THE insurmountable obstacle to selling Betamax."
    |

    | and this is the funniest analogy of all.. you can't insert a betamax
    | tape into a vhs vcr... it just won't go.. .

    Doh! Of course not! This was just to point out the futility of ranting
    and wailing against the evil MS marketing machine; or in some cases, the
    ranting against the "stupids" who wanted to buy easier to use computers
    with more features.

    but you can put a 1.44mb
    | floppy with geos install files into any ibm clone, and that clone will
    | read the disk and install geos!

    Sure you can. If you don't mind fiddling with the .ini file to get the
    damn thing to install, or hunting down special instructions to install
    it on XP or if your machine isn't too fast (that damn speed bug!). Sure,
    GEOS is great to use, once you finally get it configured. Think most
    people want the hassle anymore? I keep saying that as long as I use
    better quality products, I simply don't have any problems installing or
    setting up new PC's for my friends or office users.

    | so in summary, geos is not doomed, is not obsolete,

    I didn't say "doomed" or "obsolete". I am saying that GEOS/ND is a
    really great, fun peice of work. I'm also saying that considering the
    options now available, it's more appropriate for *hobbyists* than for
    people aiming to do any serious work. Linux now has many more useful
    apps for people who want to burn CD's, do video editing, or have MS
    Office compatibility. Remember when Linux used to be considered the
    "hobbyist's" OS? It's slowly moving into the mainstream, and the feature
    set have long since overtaken what's offered on the 16 bit DOS platform.

    is as usabale
    | today as is windows on the newsest hardware you can buy,

    Except for the initial setting up and the problems on the higher end
    PCs...

    and all the
    | above analogies suck.. please think of something better.

    Suck? Oooh, I love intelligent discourse. No wonder Pat and Bob can't
    leave you guys alone!

    I'm sure that I can think of a better analogy, but the nature of
    analogies is that they are always a comparison of some, but not all of
    the features. Unfortunately, whenever someone tries to make a direct
    comparison the hardliners (gosh, now I'm sounding like Pat) try to make
    up some reasons why GEOS is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Win
    users. Look, I scanned the Amiga groups, and they weren't whining and
    moaning about the evil MS machine, or the advent of technology. They
    seemed perfectly content to play with their Amigas, fully realizing that
    they have limitations - a realization that seems to be lacking here at
    times.

    --
    Tom

  10. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    MS did not start in Bill Gates' garage. You're thinking of Apple.

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.200362532211221872@news1.telia .com...
    > Well, we have great hopes then, as Microsoft started back in Bill Gates
    > parents garage with .........was is Paul Allen?
    > My memory lacks and I can't recall correctly, sorry! With Frank as the

    financial
    > genius and John as the programmer the future looks bright, they only need
    > to find the magic device to load GEOS32 on....... Cheers to Breadbox!
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > "Pat" wrote in message
    > > > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for

    free
    > if
    > > > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high

    subscription
    > > > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular

    companies
    > > > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

    > > Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC

    > was
    > > configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to

    nothing
    > > off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking

    > > shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why

    > else
    > > would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
    > > millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter

    failure
    > > it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed.

    > Has
    > > been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
    > > cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of

    > the
    > > beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure

    > one
    > > has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have

    nothin'
    > > to lose.

  11. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > This was just to point out the futility of ranting
    > and wailing against the evil MS marketing machine;

    the evil marketing machine is alive and well,, news articles are
    released daily of MSFT's underhanded business practices...

    > or in some cases, the
    > ranting against the "stupids" who wanted to buy easier to use computers
    > with more features.

    my athon 2000 is no easier that the duron 950 adn the k6/2-350 adn the
    5x86-133 ad the 486/dx2-66 adn the 384-dx 40 that came before it. it
    is, however, faster in some respects

    > but you can put a 1.44mb
    > | floppy with geos install files into any ibm clone, and that clone will
    > | read the disk and install geos!
    >
    > Sure you can. If you don't mind fiddling with the .ini file to get the
    > damn thing to install, or hunting down special instructions to install
    > it on XP or if your machine isn't too fast (that damn speed bug!).

    new versions of windows have to be "improved" by microsoft to run as
    trouble free as possible on new hardware, same as with geos. remember
    the 32mb ram fix for old versions of geos?? well, it was fixed in later
    releases. gee. this fast cpu bug? the breadbox ensemble lite seems to
    run just fine on my athlon 2000 running under win98.

    Sure,
    > GEOS is great to use, once you finally get it configured.

    ever try instlaling windows95 onto a blank hard drive by using the
    factory cd?? well, good luck configuring the boot floppy, adn
    downloading and installing the cdrom driver... talk about fiddling
    with dos..

    >Think most
    > people want the hassle anymore?

    guess not.. maybe that is why they spend a fortune on new pcs and new
    operating systems.. so they don't have ot fiddle with old hard to
    configure and install microsfot software on their new pcs which they
    bought becasue the old pcs worked fine but were hard ot configure..

    > I keep saying that as long as I use
    > better quality products, I simply don't have any problems installing or
    > setting up new PC's for my friends or office users.

    ""BETTER quality products""??? try ""same old products"" with a
    few extra oem drivers included on the new winwdos installation CD..

    i see you are setting up ""NEW"" computers.. which is hard to do using
    old verisons of windows.. so you have a forced up grade tehre..

    just becase windws has monoloplized teh drivers market does not make
    its software design "better quality" if microsoft 's software was of
    such great quality, microsoft would not copy geos' design structure and
    features..

    > | so in summary, geos is not doomed, is not obsolete,
    >
    > I didn't say "doomed" or "obsolete". I am saying that GEOS/ND is a
    > really great, fun peice of work. I'm also saying that considering the
    > options now available, it's more appropriate for *hobbyists* than for
    > people aiming to do any serious work.

    serious work?? that is so silly.. writing letters, using spreadsheets,
    is serious work, and geos accomlishes them as well as windwos.

    playing the latest computer video games is PLAY... something windows
    excells at.

    > Linux now has many more useful
    > apps for people who want to burn CD's, do video editing, or have MS
    > Office compatibility.

    that is why fry's makes money ***removing*** LINUX from cheap chinese
    built OEM pcs they sell.. linux is great.

    > Remember when Linux used to be considered the
    > "hobbyist's" OS?

    It still is...

    > It's slowly moving into the mainstream, and the feature
    > set have long since overtaken what's offered on the 16 bit DOS platform.

    oh yes, very slowly..maybe in 10 years, when linux is reconfigured to
    run just like geos does today ( and did ten years ago), it will be a
    consumer friendly OS.

    > is as usabale
    > | today as is windows on the newsest hardware you can buy,
    >
    > Except for the initial setting up and the problems on the higher end
    > PCs...
    >
    > and all the
    > | above analogies suck.. please think of something better.
    >
    > Suck? Oooh, I love intelligent discourse. No wonder Pat and Bob can't
    > leave you guys alone!

    where do you think i learned this intelligent discourse form?? Pat and
    BOB.. the are great teachers.

    > I'm sure that I can think of a better analogy, but the nature of
    > analogies is that they are always a comparison of some, but not all of
    > the features. Unfortunately, whenever someone tries to make a direct
    > comparison the hardliners

    don't you mean "extremeists?? or terrorists??

    (gosh, now I'm sounding like Pat)

    yes very much so. see, they are great teachers.. bringing us all down to
    their level.

    > try to make
    > up some reasons why GEOS is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Win
    > users.

    for many users, geos would be a great substitute for windwos, at much
    less cost in hardware adn software... i remember back in 1993+1994,
    working at packaard bell, getting tech supprot calls from windows users
    who did not use their pc but 3 times per year, but now having hardware
    or software "troubles".. for these poeople, a GPC like product would
    be just fine. the GPC really is a great product.. buy one on EBAY..
    you'll see.

    >Look, I scanned the Amiga groups, and they weren't whining and
    > moaning about the evil MS machine,

    did amiga software run on IBM clones?? was amiga shut out of the clone
    market by illegal oem contracts, or did it lose by fair play in the
    marketplace??

    > or the advent of technology.

    well, you can tell pat and bob to stop whining about the lack of geos
    support for new technolgy.. and tell htem to stop branding geos as
    obsolete, worthless, useless technology. i'll be a happy camper if you
    can stop all their whining. I am certainly not the one whining about
    geos lack of support for new technolgy.. i think geos is great as it is
    and can be made even greater with further developemnt adn wider
    distribution....

    > They
    > seemed perfectly content to play with their Amigas, fully realizing that
    > they have limitations - a realization that seems to be lacking here at
    > times.

    geos' limitaitons are the limtations in one's mind.... geos has hte
    superior design structure in place and has always had the potential to
    grow, you cna see it with each geos product released.. now if only
    geos would b released from its proprietary prison so the whole world
    ahve an ownership stake in it.

  12. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Bob wrote:
    > An outhouse works exactly the same now as it did then so why use indoor
    > plumbing and a toilet?

    a geos toilet uses only 1.6 liters per flush.. a windwos toilet uses 6
    gallons per flush, and clogs up every other day.

    > A hand-pump works exactly the same now as it did then
    > so why use indoor plumbing and a faucet?

    geos adn windows are like water.. they are both "soft"ware and run
    through the exact same equipemnt.. the proper analogy is: do you
    want your water running through a faucet made by price phister or delta
    or chicago faucets or????

    > A double-hung weight and pulley
    > window works exactly the same now as it did then so why use energy efficient
    > thermal pane windows?

    talk about efficiency! i have ot open my doors and windows so the hot
    air that blows out of my athon 2000 blow dryer of a windwos box does not
    bake me out of the hosue,a dn does not run up my electic bill for air
    conditioning.. so much for your thermal window pane, which when opened,
    has zero thermal benefits.

    > This is mentality of the GEOS user. It is no use applying logic to their
    > thought process. You may as well argue with a door knob.

    that is the mentality of the windows user.. no brains at all.. no
    ability to rationally evaluate a product's quality,..not even aware that
    there are compeeting products out there, jsut swallow whatever party
    linie microsft feeds them ("its newer< its always the easiest windows
    ever" , "sit back adn relax for the next hour of your valuable while
    windwos installs on your pc") and accept it as teh gretest thing on
    earth, then spend another 89 dolars and about a weeks time struggling to
    get the new improved product to work properly..

  13. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    maybe that device is a 128MB bootable usb thumb drive??

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.200362532211221872@news1.telia .com...
    > the future looks bright, they only need
    >>to find the magic device to load GEOS32 on....... Cheers to Breadbox!

  14. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Tom Accousti swirled the electrons into the following patterns:

    > I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted
    > references to GEOS with "buggy whips" in [a previous] post:
    > [snip]
    > Okay, maybe that was unfair.

    No, no. It was pretty clever actually!

    > You know, for a (virtually) dead piece of software, this group
    > generates more discussion than would be considered sane for most
    > non-GEOS involved people.

    Well, two points.

    (1) What would you expect? It's a GEOS newsgroup. Duh!

    (2) If you consider this group generates more traffic than is sane,
    consider that two posters (let's call them Poster A and Poster B)
    generate maybe 40-50% of the traffic here about software they
    don't use and they don't like.

    And to continue your amusing Buggy Whip analogy, I present the following
    Buggy Whip portraits:

    Poster A:
    The Buggy Whip ver 2/New Deal Buggy Whip/ Breadbox Buggy Whip were
    never as good as Buggy Whip ver 1 (aka "The Stick"). You people
    are so fanatical. The guy who invented The Stick was a genius and
    everyone after that has just been hacking and re-hashing The Stick.
    Haven't used Buggy Whip, but I met the inventor of The Stick once,
    and fell in love. He invented wood too, you know. Maybe even carbon.
    You people are so fanatical. These are the rules for followers of The
    Stick. No, I don't use The Stick. Or the Buggy Whip. Here are the
    rules. None of you here are REAL followers of The Stick . The REAL
    followers of The Stick here will know that. I am the only REAL
    follower of The Stick. No, I don't use The Stick. Or the Buggy Whip.
    You people are so fanatical. I demand to know what the plans are
    for the Buggy Whip. Why the hell not? You people are so fanatical.
    The Buggy Whip sucks. The Stick on the other hand ... [repeat from start]

    Poster B:
    The Buggy Whip sucks. Always has, always will. Sold my Buggy Whip years
    ago. I've been sick. Thanks for the kind wishes, now get stuffed. Here
    are a hundred and twenty-five posts from me, all the same. Why are you so
    easily offended? Here's some help. Here's some abuse. The Buggy whip
    sucks ... [repeat from start - we've gone through two cycles of this
    so far by my count, and are now into a third]

    Sorry, tell us about sanity again ... ?

  15. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    In news:6be7f7dd.0306252308.653e81a8@posting.google.c om,
    Tim wrote:
    | Tom Accousti swirled the electrons into the following patterns:
    |
    || I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted
    || references to GEOS with "buggy whips" in [a previous] post:
    || [snip]
    || Okay, maybe that was unfair.
    |
    | No, no. It was pretty clever actually!
    |

    || You know, for a (virtually) dead piece of software, this group
    || generates more discussion than would be considered sane for most
    || non-GEOS involved people.
    |
    | Well, two points.
    |
    | (1) What would you expect? It's a GEOS newsgroup. Duh!

    I guess it's surprising how much discussion is generated in general. I
    mean, it's not like GEOS is under active development, frequent releases,
    upgrades, etc. It's not as if it has a lot of different applications.
    It's not as if it were a direct competitor to some ofther software
    package. It's mostly bickering. I mean, I've learned a lot by reading
    the posts, but it's still bickering.

    | (2) If you consider this group generates more traffic than is sane,
    | consider that two posters (let's call them Poster A and Poster B)
    | generate maybe 40-50% of the traffic here about software they
    | don't use and they don't like.
    |
    | And to continue your amusing Buggy Whip analogy, I present the
    | following Buggy Whip portraits:
    |
    | Poster A:
    | The Buggy Whip ver 2/New Deal Buggy Whip/ Breadbox Buggy Whip were
    | never as good as Buggy Whip ver 1 (aka "The Stick"). You people
    | are so fanatical. The guy who invented The Stick was a genius and
    | everyone after that has just been hacking and re-hashing The Stick.
    | Haven't used Buggy Whip, but I met the inventor of The Stick once,
    | and fell in love. He invented wood too, you know. Maybe even carbon.
    | You people are so fanatical. These are the rules for followers of The
    | Stick. No, I don't use The Stick. Or the Buggy Whip. Here are the
    | rules. None of you here are REAL followers of The Stick . The REAL
    | followers of The Stick here will know that. I am the only REAL
    | follower of The Stick. No, I don't use The Stick. Or the Buggy Whip.
    | You people are so fanatical. I demand to know what the plans are
    | for the Buggy Whip. Why the hell not? You people are so fanatical.
    | The Buggy Whip sucks. The Stick on the other hand ... [repeat from
    | start]
    |

    | Poster B:
    | The Buggy Whip sucks. Always has, always will. Sold my Buggy Whip
    | years ago. I've been sick. Thanks for the kind wishes, now get
    | stuffed. Here are a hundred and twenty-five posts from me, all the
    | same. Why are you so easily offended? Here's some help. Here's some
    | abuse. The Buggy whip sucks ... [repeat from start - we've gone
    | through two cycles of this so far by my count, and are now into a
    | third]
    |

    | Sorry, tell us about sanity again ... ?

    Actually, I did find that amusing.

    --
    Tom

  16. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    In news:3EFA58BE.7060704@prodigy.net,
    hyubso wrote:
    | Bob wrote:
    || An outhouse works exactly the same now as it did then so why use
    || indoor plumbing and a toilet?
    |
    | a geos toilet uses only 1.6 liters per flush.. a windwos toilet uses 6
    | gallons per flush, and clogs up every other day.

    Okay, hy, now we're just getting ridiculous.

    || A double-hung weight and pulley
    || window works exactly the same now as it did then so why use energy
    || efficient thermal pane windows?
    |
    | talk about efficiency! i have ot open my doors and windows so the
    | hot air that blows out of my athon 2000 blow dryer of a windwos box
    | does not bake me out of the hosue,a dn does not run up my electic
    | bill for air conditioning.. so much for your thermal window pane,
    | which when opened, has zero thermal benefits.

    Yes, and the buggies used horses which were less polluting than
    automobiles. But I'm sure that you wouldn't want to give up your car or
    mass transit.

    || This is mentality of the GEOS user. It is no use applying logic to
    || their thought process. You may as well argue with a door knob.
    |
    | that is the mentality of the windows user.. no brains at all.. no
    | ability to rationally evaluate a product's quality,..not even aware
    | that there are compeeting products out there, jsut swallow whatever
    | party linie microsft feeds them ("its newer< its always the easiest
    | windows ever" , "sit back adn relax for the next hour of your
    | valuable while windwos installs on your pc") and accept it as teh
    | gretest thing on earth, then spend another 89 dolars and about a
    | weeks time struggling to get the new improved product to work
    | properly..

    That's just it - Geos is *not* a competing product. They're not even in
    the same class. Oh, they were, 10 years ago, but you simply can't do
    anything beyond the basics with Geos.
    Look, I like to take my CD's and copy the music, convert them to MP3 and
    reburn them onto discs to play at work so I'm not constnatly switching
    albums. I burn data cd's for backup, since I have spreadsheets that no
    longer fit onto floppies anymore. Some of my vendors have catalogues on
    DVD now. I use cad software that... oh forget it, nobody is going to
    develop CAD for Geos.

    Simply put, GEOS is an outdated system. .Yes, it's useful, it's fun, it
    was ahead of it's time - 10 years ago. But if you want anything more
    than basic computing, then it's not, I repeat, *not* a competing
    product.

    --
    Tom

  17. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    In news:3EFA5635.2050907@prodigy.net,
    hyubso wrote:

    || Think most
    || people want the hassle anymore?
    |

    | guess not.. maybe that is why they spend a fortune on new pcs and new
    | operating systems.. so they don't have ot fiddle with old hard to
    | configure and install microsfot software on their new pcs which they
    | bought becasue the old pcs worked fine but were hard ot configure..

    Two things:
    1) A hard to configure PC is a marketing nightmare. It was only when PnP
    came along that the average user became more interested in owning a PC.
    Nobody wants to spend a lot of money on an appliance if they can't
    figure out how to work it.

    2) The old PC's worked fine for what they did, but for people who want
    to do new things, like music and video editing, cd and dvd burning, run
    network applications, or take advantage of broadband connections, the
    old PC's were no longer "fine".

    || try to make
    || up some reasons why GEOS is a perfectly acceptable replacement for
    || Win users.
    |

    | for many users, geos would be a great substitute for windwos, at much
    | less cost in hardware adn software... i remember back in 1993+1994,
    | working at packaard bell, getting tech supprot calls from windows
    | users who did not use their pc but 3 times per year, but now having
    | hardware or software "troubles".. for these poeople, a GPC like
    | product would be just fine. the GPC really is a great product.. buy
    | one on EBAY.. you'll see.

    Hey, I agree - for many users, GEOS is great. My mom for years only used
    to type letters. My father only used his to keep track of his Navy
    reunion stuff. My friends parents don't do anything more than send email
    and print out stuff once in a while. For these people, it's fine.

    But time marches on. My mother now has a digital camera and wants to
    send and recieve pics of her granddaughter. Geos doesn't read the newer
    picture formats, let alone handle the USB that lets the camera become an
    extra hard drive so she can drag the files off her camera into a folder.
    There isn't any geos software that lets her do this. She should use
    geos, then drop out to Win just to look at piocs, then go back to Geos?
    I don't think so.

    Hey, I use Geos (ND now) often at work when I take my old laptop and use
    the RS232 file transfer stuff. I edit things with Ed's great Edit+
    (thank you, Ed G!). But I could use Win 31 to do the smae thing (it's
    installed on the same laptop). But when I need to build big spreadsheets
    with macros and multiple pages and share them on the network, MS Office,
    StarOffice and Lotus work much better, so that's what we use. On my
    Athlon, of course....

    i think geos is great
    | as it is and can be made even greater with further developemnt adn
    | wider distribution....

    Sure, ot's of things could - even buggy whips. But the chances of that
    happening look more slim as time goes on.

    || They
    || seemed perfectly content to play with their Amigas, fully realizing
    || that they have limitations - a realization that seems to be lacking
    || here at times.
    |

    | geos' limitaitons are the limtations in one's mind....

    Very Zen, thank you.

    geos has hte
    | superior design structure in place and has always had the potential to
    | grow, you cna see it with each geos product released.. now if
    | only geos would b released from its proprietary prison so the whole
    | world ahve an ownership stake in it.

    I think that you're living in a dream world. I would like to see it
    happen myself, but I dont' think that it will.

    --
    Tom

  18. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > That's just it - Geos is *not* a competing product. They're not even in
    > the same class. Oh, they were, 10 years ago, but you simply can't do
    > anything beyond the basics with Geos.

    that is the marketing problem geos suffers from.. people calling the
    work geos does "basic" but if you use MSOffice to do the exact same
    work, it is somehow ,no longer basic, but "advanced" or "modern" or
    "cool" or some such silly designation for what is exactly the same type
    of output.

    > Look, I like to take my CD's and copy the music, convert them to MP3 and
    > reburn them onto discs to play at work so I'm not constnatly switching
    > albums. I burn data cd's for backup, since I have spreadsheets that no
    > longer fit onto floppies anymore. Some of my vendors have catalogues on
    > DVD now.

    at this point int time, in certain instances windows is more appropriate
    for some users needs.. but most people can fulfill their word processing
    adn spreadsheet adn drawing software needs using the "basics" when
    applied ot geos(, but somehow the"advanceds" when these exact same uses
    are fulfilled with windwos) adn possibly even web html based catalogues
    on dvd fulfilled using webmagic.. don't know how much work it would
    take ot get geos to use USB thumb drives.. that would eliminate teh
    floppy file size issue and bypass cd-rw needs in many cases...

    > I use cad software that... oh forget it, nobody is going to
    > develop CAD for Geos.

    not everon in the wrolkd is an architect/engineer using cad programs..

    > Simply put, GEOS is an outdated system.

    it is not outdated anymore than my 20 year old 50MPG jetta diesel is...!
    god, my car gets better fuel mileage and is safer in desgn,has
    stronger bumpers, adn is more reliable than most new cars out there!
    geos is more effiicient, easier to maintain, cheaper ot own adn 'fuel"
    and does much the same stuff windwos does, only better.. it is
    ceratinly not "outdated" there is not one fan in the GPC to clog wiht
    dust adn freexe up adn give you blue screens of death adn a $50-$100
    screw the customer repair bill like on windows machines

    ..Yes, it's useful, it's fun, it
    > was ahead of it's time -

    it is till ahead of its time.. still.. that is why microsfot copies
    nad integrates geos desgin features with every new verison of windwos or IE

    10 years ago. But if you want anything more
    > than basic computing,

    there you go again wiht your "basic" computing...

    >then it's not, I repeat, *not* a competing
    > product.

    if it was not a competin product, msft would not have ot exclude
    competing prodcuts for oem preloading, becasue other than linux, there
    are no other competing products, adn linux is no competition for windows
    on the consumer desktop, while geos is a ready made, readily available
    competitor on the desktop.

    geos really should have been gnu licensed with the death of geoworks..
    they really blew it locking the software up in a proprietary prison
    for another 20 years

  19. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Well, I don't know, but it will certainly not be a PC.

    BR,
    Hans

    hyubso wrote:
    > maybe that device is a 128MB bootable usb thumb drive??
    >

    > > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > > news:NewsReader.1.0.200362532211221872@news1.telia .com...
    > > the future looks bright, they only need
    > >>to find the magic device to load GEOS32 on....... Cheers to Breadbox!

  20. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message news:

    > I guess it's surprising how much discussion is generated in general. I
    > mean, it's not like GEOS is under active development, frequent releases,
    > upgrades, etc. It's not as if it has a lot of different applications.
    > It's not as if it were a direct competitor to some ofther software
    > package. It's mostly bickering. I mean, I've learned a lot by reading
    > the posts, but it's still bickering.

    Conceded. Wish it weren't so, but you are quite right.

    >> And to continue your amusing Buggy Whip analogy, I present the
    >> following Buggy Whip portraits: ...[snip]

    > Actually, I did find that amusing.

    Thanks. [grin] Recognise anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast