Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead - GEOS ; Bob schrieb: > > An outhouse works exactly the same now as it did then so why use indoor > plumbing and a toilet? Ask the companies who make millions with renting dixie-toilets for building sites or street fairs or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    Bob schrieb:

    > An outhouse works exactly the same now as it did then so why use indoor
    > plumbing and a toilet?

    Ask the companies who make millions with renting dixie-toilets for
    building sites or street fairs or such.
    They whill tell you a zillion reasons why indoor toilets aren't much
    usefule there.

    > A hand-pump works exactly the same now as it did then
    > so why use indoor plumbing and a faucet?

    Ask those who do not have a water plant in reach and are not connected
    to a water network.
    After WW2, Russian soldiers ripped faucets from German buildings and
    nailed them to their fences at home, wondering why there was no water
    coming out. I guess they were happy not to have removed their hand-pumps
    brfore trying the faucets.

    > A double-hung weight and pulley
    > window works exactly the same now as it did then so why use energy efficient
    > thermal pane windows?

    There I can give you an answer: because I had to buy them and pay for
    them, while my landlord is responsible for the double-hung windows and
    they are still there. Also, these windows absorb the noise from the
    planes of the nearby aiport way better than the thermal plane windows.
    And they are almost equally good for preserving energy.
    More: in Sweden (or so) the government put much money into low-energy
    houses with thermal-plane windows and many other gadgets to save energy.
    With the result that after very few years the houses were unusable
    because of the side-effects like condensing water on the walls.
    These themal-plane windows were new, modern, effective and didn't pay
    after all. Just like these Redmond-windows.

    > This is mentality of the GEOS user. It is no use applying logic to their
    > thought process. You may as well argue with a door knob.

    Indeed, a door-knob can be turned. You cannot

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  2. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    MS started when Paul Allen got his basic tape to run on the Altar.

    "Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message
    > Bob schrieb:
    > >
    > > MS did not start in Bill Gates' garage. You're thinking of Apple.

    > Indeed, MS started in a misused university computer. Or, if you prefer
    > this version, in a different company whose product was bought cheap and
    > relabeled after it has already been sold to IBM. In any case it didn't
    > start in any place that belonged to Mr. Gates.
    >
    > Grossibaer
    >
    > --
    > Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    > they are not.

  3. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    << MS started when Paul Allen got his basic tape to run on the Altar. >>

    Now, having been a good "altar boy" in my parochial youth, the above would have
    been a sight to see for sure! :-)

    I'm presuming you meant "Altair" ( http://virtualaltair.com/ )

    Ray

  4. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > << MS started when Paul Allen got his basic tape to run on the Altar. >>
    >
    > Now, having been a good "altar boy" in my parochial youth, the above would

    have
    > been a sight to see for sure! :-)
    >
    > I'm presuming you meant "Altair" ( http://virtualaltair.com/ )
    >
    > Ray

  5. Re: I'm back, I thought this group was dead

    He was smart enough to give up on GEOS years, and years ago. Around 1997 was
    the last from him. Smart man.

    "C S" wrote in message
    > what ever happened to Cami Lee?

+ Reply to Thread