Re: Got my global pc today! - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Got my global pc today! - GEOS ; i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie.. On older versions of ndo on regular pcs, i was able to install a logging ppp driver to replace the standard driver, and with the logging driver ...

  1. Re: Got my global pc today!

    i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie.. On older
    versions of ndo on regular pcs, i was able to install a logging ppp
    driver to replace the standard driver, and with the logging driver I
    could dial in and attach to prodigy. How can i update this gpc?? Is
    there any location on the intenet where i can dowload any pathces or
    last updates released before myturn went under? Also, i can't get to a
    dos prompt or access the cmos! Was info on how to do this provided in
    the owners manual which i did not get?? sorry for all the questions, but
    this GPC is impossible to hack in to!

    There are lots of things i like about this GPC.. the way it boots..
    lots better than an old 486.. plus the light weight, no noisy fan to
    suchk dust into the machine and ruin the floppy drive.. the relatively
    small size... I took it apart last night to see what's inside.. very
    much like the an improved macintosh LC, hardware wise.

    Still have teh GPC attached to the tv.. funny i have not attched it to
    a monitor, but i do not have a spare monitor at the moment, nor desk
    space.. so the living room is where that little thing sits... the TV
    support has proven handy in this case.. only thing that makes me
    nervous is the spinning hard drive while the GPC is on my lap.. am
    afraid i will scratch the disk while moving hte gpc.

    hyubso

    Joseph Durham wrote:
    > I have been using a Global PC since August 2000. Like it very well. You
    > may need the internet update so that you can plug in the home page of choice
    > instead of the out of service myturn site.
    >
    > It is the only computer that I use.
    >
    > hyubso wrote:
    >
    >>Bought a used GPC off of ebay.. My first GPC. hey this thing so far
    >>is impressive.. i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and , wow,
    >>what a usable and , to me, easy to use product, and what performance!
    >>That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any windows wake from
    >>sleep gimmick..
    >>
    >>Sure as hell beats a WEB TV for versatility.. and the picture quality
    >>on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

  2. Re: Got my global pc today!

    << How can i update this gpc?? >>

    I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
    GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking... I am presuming your GPC is
    the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated. (v1.2)

    Ray

  3. Re: Got my global pc today!

    "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > << How can i update this gpc?? >>
    >
    > I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to

    all
    > GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking... I am presuming your

    GPC is
    > the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated. (v1.2)
    >
    > Ray

    Yes, send him his 4 year old update.

  4. Re: Got my global pc today!

    without the owners manual i can't tell what i have.. the boot up screen
    supplies no inof other than a "warming up " message.

    on the bottom of the machine i read:

    bar code: MAB - 0400 - 000015660

    Ray Kopczynski wrote:
    > << How can i update this gpc?? >>
    >
    > I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
    > GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking... I am presuming your GPC is
    > the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated. (v1.2)
    >
    > Ray

  5. Re: Got my global pc today!

    well, i had this prodigy connection problem with geos long before the
    gpc was available.. so this obviously is a prodigy specific isp problem..

    also, i doubt that the gpc internet service had this issue.

    still, so far, i've never had an easier to use computer out of the box,
    even compared to the old epson qx-10, my first pc, running Valdocs on
    TP/m (a CP/m derivative of sorts), and this gpc blows away the $99 linux
    preloaded cyrix 700 mhz clone i bought in january..

    Bob wrote:
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie..

    > Oh God no! Unthinkable that such an elegant OS couldn't do a simple
    > no-brainier like this. Tsk, tsk. What a shock!

  6. Re: Got my global pc today!

    when i finally got to a dos screen by booting from a floppy (with
    ctrl-alt-f1), i checked the directories on the c drive and saw one
    directory named "1.3" so am i correct to guess this GPC already has
    the 1.3 updates installed?? will be reapplying hte patch you sent now
    that i can get onto prodigy with the other small patch included with
    your email.. thanks for your help, by the way...

    Ray Kopczynski wrote:
    > << How can i update this gpc?? >>
    >
    > I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
    > GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking... I am presuming your GPC is
    > the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated. (v1.2)
    >
    > Ray

  7. Re: Got my global pc today!

    << i checked the directories on the c drive and saw one directory named "1.3"
    so am i correct to guess this GPC already has the 1.3 updates installed?? >>

    Yes.

    Ray

    Ray Kopczynski

    Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

  8. Re: Got my global pc today!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    and this gpc blows away the $99 linux
    > preloaded cyrix 700 mhz clone i bought in january..

    LOL! Oh Gawd!

  9. Re: Got my global pc today!

    Applying a patch to Windows 98 that is 4 years old is useless. In case you
    hadn't noticed MS offers current updates. Again you logic is extremely
    lacking.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > according to bob, applying a 4 year old patch to win98 will update
    > windows, but doing the same to a geos based product is not really an
    > update at all...
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Real bad. 3 years and 3 months, VS my 4 year guess-ta-mitt. Any way you

    look
    > > at it, the term update is hardly valid.
    > >
    > > "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > >
    > >><< Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>
    > >>
    > >>Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies. :-)
    > >>
    > >>Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop

    as

    > > one
    > >
    > >>of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...
    > >>
    > >>Ray

  10. Re: Got my global pc today!

    hyubso wrote:

    > according to bob, applying a 4 year old patch to win98 will update
    > windows, but doing the same to a geos based product is not really an
    > update at all...

    C'mon hyubso.....stop exaggerating ....there's no such thing as a 4 year old
    patch for windows.
    Everybody knows they're weekly....ROTFLMAO !!!!!!

    Kenj

  11. Re: Got my global pc today!

    "Kenj" wrote in message
    > C'mon hyubso.....stop exaggerating ....there's no such thing as a 4 year

    old
    > patch for windows.
    > Everybody knows they're weekly....ROTFLMAO !!!!!!
    >
    > Kenj

    Right and that is a great thing!

  12. Re: Got my global pc today!

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "Kenj" wrote in message
    > > C'mon hyubso.....stop exaggerating ....there's no such thing as a 4 year

    > old
    > > patch for windows.
    > > Everybody knows they're weekly....ROTFLMAO !!!!!!
    > >
    > > Kenj

    > Right and that is a great thing!

    Oh actually Ken, the updates are daily. Just like a decent anti-virus app.
    I'll take critical updates on a daily basis, rather then use a product that
    is not in current production and has no company updating it at all Enjoy.

  13. Re: Got my global pc today!

    It is NOT used today. Only a complete idiot would bother to install the
    USBSUPP.EXE file in a PC running Windows 95 OSR2.0 - 2.5. It does NOT
    support new USB devices!
    Period. Saying otherwise simply proves your complete and utter ignorance. It
    supports a old version of USB NOT in use. Moron!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > you are so desperate bobo.. i have used that old patch on old win95 osr
    > 2 and up. it is a patch.. it is old.. it is still used today.
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Wrong. The USB update that was designed for Windows 95 OSR2.0, 2.1 & 2.5

    is
    > > no longer a valid update as it doesn't offer support for currently made

    USB
    > > devices. It was however a valid update in 1996 and 1997.

  14. Re: Got my global pc today!

    Ray Kopczynski wrote:
    > << Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>
    >
    > Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies. :-)
    >
    > Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop as one
    > of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...
    >
    > Ray

    Ray, it was March 2001, you mean.

    Mark-

  15. Re: Got my global pc today!

    << Ray, it was March 2001, you mean. >>

    Whew! Alzheimers' is a terrible thing to watch! You're absolutely correct!
    :-)

    Ray

    >Subject: Re: Got my global pc today!
    >From: Mark T nospammtenney2@maine.rr.com
    >Date: 6/26/03 6:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >Ray Kopczynski wrote:
    >> << Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>
    >>
    >> Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies. :-)
    >>
    >> Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop as

    >one
    >> of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...
    >>
    >> Ray
    >>

    >Ray, it was March 2001, you mean.
    >
    >Mark-

  16. Re: Got my global pc today!

    "Bob" Fell out the window and was cranky, and said
    negative things about a person buying a Global PC, but regained conscience
    long enough to give a valid point

    > Oh actually Ken, the updates are daily. Just like a >decent anti-virus

    app. I'll take critical updates on a daily >basis, rather (than) use a