Re: Living in the past - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Living in the past - GEOS ; On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, "Pat" wrote: >> But to separate the word god from religion and worship is quite a far >> fetched effort! > >Wow, you're a good tap dancer. Checkmate. LOL! My pleasure. >No. Do ...

  1. Re: Living in the past

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:59:15 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >> But to separate the word god from religion and worship is quite a far
    >> fetched effort!

    >Wow, you're a good tap dancer. Checkmate. LOL!

    My pleasure.

    >No. Do I need to be a parent to judge that a child is naughty in public and
    >needs discipline? I've had enough exposure to family members with children
    >and have taken care of my share. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but you
    >have to set boundaries and its often appreciated. The word NO is good in the
    >right context.

    Ah, and now you think you have to say NO to all those nasty GEOS
    children?

    In view of your other arguments: Do you want us to believe that Byan
    is your god and you are his messiah?

    You won't get many followers with that one.

    Holger

  2. Re: Living in the past

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message

    > Ah, and now you think you have to say NO to all those nasty GEOS children?

    Ahhh, I see now. Perhaps I have hit home with my analogy. I should have
    figured it out earlier. Have you tried meditating on the word Nein? Perhaps
    getting in touch with the inner child?

    > In view of your other arguments: Do you want us to believe that Bryan is

    your god and you are his messiah?

    > You won't get many followers with that one.

    Again, you are making false assumptions. The word God is used by many people
    to refer to someone who is not a deity but an expert or guru. I guess it
    must be an American use of the term. If you continue to misrepresent my use
    of the term, then its just the child in Holger being naughty and should be
    spanked.

    One thing is undeniable to me, there would have been no GEOS if Bryan
    Dougherty had not been the chief enabler of its invention. There would be no
    New Deal trying to make a go of GEOS and there would be no COGM, TVAKatter
    devoted to GEOS, or any software involvement releated to GEOS. Without GEOS,
    users would have spent their time extoling the virtues of some other
    software. While it would be speculative to extrapolate what would have
    replaced GEOS, in the hearts of GEOS users, its not far fetched to
    understand that Brian was the key to the existence of the product. He didn't
    make it happen all by himself. There were others, who worked for him, that
    were more instrumental in the actual execution of the code, but none of them
    was on the same level as Brian at making it all come together. He's not a
    God, as in deity, and I'm not a Messiah, but I am an big fan of
    technologists and their contributions. Known quite a few of them, over the
    years. I admire their genius and what they did for the computer industry.
    You think I am a GEOS hater when in fact I am just the opposite. I love GEOS
    for what it was when Geoworks ran the product, not the buggered up mess it
    has become. Kapish?

  3. Re: Living in the past

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:00:19 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >"Holger Laux" wrote in message
    >
    >> Ah, and now you think you have to say NO to all those nasty GEOS children?

    >Ahhh, I see now. Perhaps I have hit home with my analogy.

    Not at all: Grown-up people do not like to be treated as children, not
    by you anyway. Who do you think you are???

    >Again, you are making false assumptions. The word God is used by many people
    >to refer to someone who is not a deity but an expert or guru.

    who - if only in an ironic sense - should be worshipped (or so the
    speaker thinks). The religious meaning is there and what you are doing
    is - well - just short of worshipping the man.

    >You think I am a GEOS hater when in fact I am just the opposite. I love GEOS
    >for what it was when Geoworks ran the product, not the buggered up mess it
    >has become. Kapish?

    The original version is the past and the "buggered up mess" is pretty
    much the past as well. It should make no difference to you what people
    use or not use. If you don't like the "mess", you can wallpaper your
    home with screen shots of 1.0, if you wish. I don't care.

    I remember we've been here before...

    Holger

+ Reply to Thread