dosbox SAVES! - GEOS

This is a discussion on dosbox SAVES! - GEOS ; Hey. Need to keep this group alive. For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically, NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big breakthrough for me, since I have clients that ...

  1. dosbox SAVES!

    Hey. Need to keep this group alive.

    For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically,
    NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big
    breakthrough for me, since I have clients that I set up years ago with
    Geos, particularly for the word processor, and the database. These two
    elegant programs are virtually irreplaceable by anything else I'm aware of.

    So now, I have them running a nice little 800x600 window with Geos, all
    within the XP that they have no choice but to run on modern systems.

    Eric

    ------------------
    Eric Kiesling Thompson
    eTc Computer Consultants
    http://www.etc-consult.com
    ------------------

  2. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hi Eric,

    How did you go about setting it up? I have never been able to get
    Ensemble to run consistently under XP, even after following all of the
    instructions listed for XP. I do have a faster computer, an AMD 3000,
    if that makes any difference.

    Roger

    Eric Thompson wrote:
    > Hey. Need to keep this group alive.
    >
    > For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically,
    > NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big
    > breakthrough for me, since I have clients that I set up years ago with
    > Geos, particularly for the word processor, and the database. These two
    > elegant programs are virtually irreplaceable by anything else I'm aware of.
    >
    > So now, I have them running a nice little 800x600 window with Geos, all
    > within the XP that they have no choice but to run on modern systems.
    >
    > Eric
    >

    > ------------------
    > Eric Kiesling Thompson
    > eTc Computer Consultants
    > http://www.etc-consult.com
    > ------------------

  3. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Roger,

    Mostly, I followed those same instructions, but had minimal luck until I
    used dosbox. As dosbox is useful for a number of things, most importantly
    so you can get those old Sierra games going again, go to

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

    Very small, light install. I love it.

    For geos.ini, I added the following:

    [system]

    primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    fs = {
    ntfat.geo
    cdrom.geo
    }

    [screen0]
    device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    driver = Standard VGA Driver

    You may not need to make the screen change, but I had trouble with one of
    the machines when the video was set at a high color/resolution. Just got a
    black screen of death until I set it for standard vga. It's then easy and
    safe to use Geos's own video pref panel to raise the resolution to whatever
    it can handle. However, I've been finding that screen redrawing with Geos
    under dosbox is REALLY slow if you have a high resolution. I've taken a
    happy medium of 800x600, 256 color, since I'm only using it for word
    processing and DB anyway. In addition, if you use something like 800x600
    on a modern PC that has a 1280xblah size monitor, you'll get the nice
    effect of having Geos running in a sub-sized window that doesn't take up
    your whole desktop.

    As for the dosbox config file, I pretty much used the defaults. If you're
    only using dosbox for running Geos, however, you can add the following in
    the autoxec portion at the bottom (I have NewDeal, hence \ndo -- you might
    have a different subdirectory):

    [autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.

    mount c c:\
    c:
    cd c:\ndo
    ndo

    If you do this, then you can create a shortcut on the desktop that runs
    \ndo\ndo.bat, and assign the geos.ico to it. That's what I did for my
    clients, since they have no interest in using dosbox for Quest for Glory,
    or the like! :-)

    So, I've had success with four machines thus far. Four out of four, so I
    feel pretty confident it should work for others.

    Now if I can EVER get ethernet networking to work under Geos! I've seen
    reports of successes with that, but I've had none, ever.

    Eric

    Roger Bentson wrote:

    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > How did you go about setting it up? I have never been able to get
    > Ensemble to run consistently under XP, even after following all of the
    > instructions listed for XP. I do have a faster computer, an AMD 3000,
    > if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Roger

    ------------------
    Eric Kiesling Thompson
    eTc Computer Consultants
    http://www.etc-consult.com
    ------------------

  4. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    On 16 Apr., 18:12, Eric Thompson wrote:

    > Now if I can EVER get ethernet networking to work under Geos! I've seen
    > reports of successes with that, but I've had none, ever.

    Here's a very detailed German description how to get it running under
    qemu (qemu is another free emulator for windows/linux/... - much like
    dosbox, but emulates more parts of a PC):
    http://www.geodb.org/

    So far there's no emulation for the network inside dosbox, hence the
    ethernet won't work. For the ethernet you'll either need a plain DOS
    or an emulator like qemu (VMWare, VirtualPC,... might work, too) since
    windows will prevent Geos from accessing the network-card otherwise.

    Jörg
    P.S.: Under DosBox, qemu, ... you can even get Geos' SB16-sound-driver
    running if you do have any soundcard that works under windows ;-)

  5. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    On 16 Apr., 19:00, jpolzf...@yahoo.de wrote:
    > On 16 Apr., 18:12, Eric Thompson wrote:
    >

    > > Now if I can EVER get ethernet networking to work under Geos! I've seen
    > > reports of successes with that, but I've had none, ever.

    > Here's a very detailed German description how to get it running under
    > qemu (qemu is another free emulator for windows/linux/... - much like
    > dosbox, but emulates more parts of a PC):http://www.geodb.org/
    >
    > So far there's no emulation for the network inside dosbox, hence the
    > ethernet won't work. For the ethernet you'll either need a plain DOS
    > or an emulator like qemu (VMWare, VirtualPC,... might work, too) since
    > windows will prevent Geos from accessing the network-card otherwise.
    >
    > Jörg
    > P.S.: Under DosBox, qemu, ... you can even get Geos' SB16-sound-driver
    > running if you do have any soundcard that works under windows ;-)

    That qemu I must test.

    BTW - Does anybody know why my modem does not work under GEOS and
    DOSBox?

    Within Virtual PC 2007 it works, if the common access with the host is
    ON.

    Greetings from Freiburg
    Manfred

  6. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    On May 2, 1:52 pm, EPA wrote:
    > On 16 Apr., 19:00, jpolzf...@yahoo.de wrote:
    >

    > > On 16 Apr., 18:12, Eric Thompson wrote:

    > > > Now if I can EVER get ethernet networking to work under Geos! I've seen
    > > > reports of successes with that, but I've had none, ever.

    > > Here's a very detailed German description how to get it running under
    > > qemu (qemu is another free emulator for windows/linux/... - much like
    > >dosbox, but emulates more parts of a PC):http://www.geodb.org/

    > > So far there's no emulation for the network insidedosbox, hence the
    > > ethernet won't work. For the ethernet you'll either need a plain DOS
    > > or an emulator like qemu (VMWare, VirtualPC,... might work, too) since
    > > windows will prevent Geos from accessing the network-card otherwise.

    > > Jörg
    > > P.S.: UnderDosBox, qemu, ... you can even get Geos' SB16-sound-driver
    > > running if you do have any soundcard that works under windows ;-)

    > That qemu I must test.
    >
    > BTW - Does anybody know why my modem does not work under GEOS andDOSBox?
    >
    > Within Virtual PC 2007 it works, if the common access with the host is
    > ON.
    >
    > Greetings from Freiburg
    > Manfred

    Did you setup the dosbox.conf for your modem?

  7. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    > Did you setup the dosbox.conf for your modem?- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
    >
    > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

    Yes, look here:

    serial1=directserial realport:com1

    I think it is right, because with another program within GEOS/PC named
    "GeoComm" I can manually dial ATDT 0191011 and I am able to start the
    modem and it dials! But with the main program "Dial-Up" it will not
    work!
    (Dial-Up is an automatic dial program for the GEOS Web Explorer
    "WEBMAGICK 3.0").

    Ok, some lamps of the modem goes on and some flickering of send and
    receive LED is viewable, but no switch to dial mode, when I only use
    that main program "Dial-Up"!

    Do you see the problem within DOSBox or within GEOS?

    Greetimgs from Freiburg, Germany
    Manfred

  8. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    I downloaded DosBox, but when I try to run NewDeal I get a message "No valid
    font files found", error KR-29.
    Please help.

    "Eric Thompson" wrote in message
    news:TW8Uh.9847$YL5.6915@newssvr29.news.prodigy.ne t...
    > Hey. Need to keep this group alive.
    >
    > For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically,
    > NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big
    > breakthrough for me, since I have clients that I set up years ago with
    > Geos, particularly for the word processor, and the database. These two
    > elegant programs are virtually irreplaceable by anything else I'm aware
    > of.
    >
    > So now, I have them running a nice little 800x600 window with Geos, all
    > within the XP that they have no choice but to run on modern systems.
    >
    > Eric
    >

    > ------------------
    > Eric Kiesling Thompson
    > eTc Computer Consultants
    > http://www.etc-consult.com
    > ------------------

  9. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hello...
    I have read all the messages here about dosbox, and it sounds
    interesting! I have been a user and "lover" of Geos/NewDeal since
    1991! (I don't want to EVER have to give it up!) But here's my
    question... I am now using NewDealOffice 98 under WinXP (for those
    "other" things that I need to do), w/no problems except that I have to
    use CPUkiller to start it... Wouldn't want to change unless there's an
    improvement. Can someone tell me if using dosbox would make it
    "better", ie: I wouldn't have to use the CPUkiller?, or whatever...
    Thanks in advance for any help or words of encouragement.
    I use NewDeal to do all the playbills for our local Community Theater,
    and would hate to have to switch to something "newer" under Windoze!
    (It certainly would not be "better"!)
    Helene in lovely but very wet Tampa, FL!

    On Apr 14, 2:19 pm, Eric Thompson wrote:
    > Hey. Need to keep this group alive.
    >
    > For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically,
    > NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big
    > breakthrough for me, since I have clients that I set up years ago with
    > Geos, particularly for the word processor, and the database. These two
    > elegant programs are virtually irreplaceable by anything else I'm aware of.
    >
    > So now, I have them running a nice little 800x600 window with Geos, all
    > within the XP that they have no choice but to run on modern systems.
    >
    > Eric
    >
    > ------------------
    > Eric Kiesling Thompson
    > eTc Computer Consultantshttp://www.etc-consult.com
    > ------------------

  10. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hi,

    Harvey schrieb:
    > I downloaded DosBox, but when I try to run NewDeal I get a message "No valid
    > font files found", error KR-29.
    > Please help.

    Just read the previous postings and follow the hints about the
    necessary changes in the geos.ini, ... .

    Jörg

  11. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hi Jörg,
    Thanks for the help. I made all the changes suggested in geos.ini file. The
    error message is gone but when Newdeal opens, all I get is a gray screen
    (not the typical "World" screen). It is very frustrating because I am so
    close to having it work, but I am not there. Please help again.
    Harvey

    "Jörg" wrote in message
    news:1187021757.513065.187490@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    Hi,

    Harvey schrieb:
    > I downloaded DosBox, but when I try to run NewDeal I get a message "No
    > valid
    > font files found", error KR-29.
    > Please help.

    Just read the previous postings and follow the hints about the
    necessary changes in the geos.ini, ... .

    Jörg

  12. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hi,

    Harvey schrieb:
    > all I get is a gray screen (not the typical "World" screen).

    Guess 1:
    Geos thinks that you're in the middle of changing the graphics-driver.

    Solution:
    Change the [screen0]-lines in the Geos.ini:
    [screen0]
    device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    driver = Standard VGA Driver

    and remove the olddevice/olddriver-lines

    And under [system] change
    continueSetup = true
    continueSetup = false

    Guess 2:
    Geos hangs because it has saved an invalid status.
    Solution:
    Delete all files under PRIVDATA\STATE and PRIVDATA\SPOOL

    Jörg

  13. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hi Helene,

    If you have NDO working on XP using CPUKIller you will not gain anything
    by using DOSBox. Stay with what you have.

    John ;-)

    heleneb@aol.com wrote:
    > Hello...
    > I have read all the messages here about dosbox, and it sounds
    > interesting! I have been a user and "lover" of Geos/NewDeal since
    > 1991! (I don't want to EVER have to give it up!) But here's my
    > question... I am now using NewDealOffice 98 under WinXP (for those
    > "other" things that I need to do), w/no problems except that I have to
    > use CPUkiller to start it... Wouldn't want to change unless there's an
    > improvement. Can someone tell me if using dosbox would make it
    > "better", ie: I wouldn't have to use the CPUkiller?, or whatever...
    > Thanks in advance for any help or words of encouragement.
    > I use NewDeal to do all the playbills for our local Community Theater,
    > and would hate to have to switch to something "newer" under Windoze!
    > (It certainly would not be "better"!)
    > Helene in lovely but very wet Tampa, FL!
    >
    > On Apr 14, 2:19 pm, Eric Thompson wrote:
    >> Hey. Need to keep this group alive.
    >>
    >> For anybody who cares, I have discovered that Geos, or, more specifically,
    >> NewDeal, in my case, runs beautifully under dosbox. That has been a big
    >> breakthrough for me, since I have clients that I set up years ago with
    >> Geos, particularly for the word processor, and the database. These two
    >> elegant programs are virtually irreplaceable by anything else I'm aware of.
    >>
    >> So now, I have them running a nice little 800x600 window with Geos, all
    >> within the XP that they have no choice but to run on modern systems.
    >>
    >> Eric
    >>
    >> ------------------
    >> Eric Kiesling Thompson
    >> eTc Computer Consultantshttp://www.etc-consult.com
    >> ------------------

  14. Re: dosbox SAVES!

    Hello John,
    Thanks for the info --- especially since I LIKE to stay w/what I know
    works! Obviously, I'm still gung-ho with NDO, and only went from W98
    to XP about 3 years ago. Who knows how long before I will be pushed
    into Vista (ugh...).
    Again - thanks to you and Breadbox for all the good work you do!
    Helene in Tampa

    On Sep 2, 12:17?pm, John Howard wrote:
    > Hi Helene,
    >
    > If you have NDO working on XP using CPUKIller you will not gain anything
    > by using DOSBox. Stay with what you have.
    >
    > John ;-)

+ Reply to Thread