GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS - GEOS ; Hey Commander Howard!! It's been quite awhile since you announced that Breadbox was releasing its' 32-bit GEOS. How's the project coming? (LOL! Like it's coming at all!!!) Talk about vaporware? LOL! Breadbox = 2 guys and a boat + no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. GEOS

    Hey Commander Howard!!

    It's been quite awhile since you announced that Breadbox was releasing its'
    32-bit GEOS. How's the project coming? (LOL! Like it's coming at all!!!)

    Talk about vaporware? LOL! Breadbox = 2 guys and a boat + no cash float!

    Peace, Love & Understanding,

    Bob

  2. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us, saying:

    >Talk about vaporware? LOL!

    Okay. Let's talk about Microsoft's Cairo. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: GEOS

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us,
    > saying:
    >
    >>Talk about vaporware? LOL!

    > Okay. Let's talk about Microsoft's Cairo. :-)
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    > USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    Or Vista?

  4. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >"Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us,
    >> saying:
    >>
    >>>Talk about vaporware? LOL!

    >> Okay. Let's talk about Microsoft's Cairo. :-)

    >Or Vista?

    Lots of new eye candy and a new product version/licensing maze, but
    very little new technology of consequence, and the object-oriented
    database filesystem that was promised for Cairo back in 1992 (OFS)
    still ain't happening.

    Typical.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: GEOS

    Richard Steiner wrote:

    > Lots of new eye candy and a new product version/licensing maze, but
    > very little new technology of consequence, and the object-oriented
    > database filesystem that was promised for Cairo back in 1992 (OFS)
    > still ain't happening.
    >
    > Typical.

    That OO database is running in some select labs around Redmond and one
    particular one in a tiny (but mighty) lab in California, but its not
    going to see daylight until Vista is released and proven. Time will
    tell if the rewrite of XP (aka. Vista) is a success or a failure.
    Atleast its Boss of all Operating Systems.

    Finally, lets applaud Apple for dumping flawed processors and finally
    jumping on the WinTel bandwagon.

    And lets hear some bagpipes for GEOS and OS/2, a couple of great
    efforts that crashed and burned during their maiden journeys across the
    USA.

    Long live WinTel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >And lets hear some bagpipes for GEOS and OS/2, a couple of great
    >efforts that crashed and burned during their maiden journeys across
    >the USA.

    OS/2 1.0 was released in 1987, and it's still being improved almost 20
    years later thanks to Serenity Systems and eComStation.

    It shares files with Windows and Linux, it has at least two Firefox
    development branches (one a stock port, the other with various native
    GUI enhancements) plus Seamonkey, a native OpenOffice 2.x is currently
    in beta, and John C. Dvorak (remember him?) was a guest speaker at
    Warpstock X just a couple of weeks ago.

    OS/2 crashed and burned because Microsoft bribed the control towers to
    turn off the lights at most of the airports, but the few aircraft that
    survived MS's questionable tactics are faster and more agile than any
    Windows aircraft that's ever been released. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: GEOS

    > OS/2 crashed and burned because Microsoft bribed the control towers to
    > turn off the lights at most of the airports, but the few aircraft that
    > survived MS's questionable tactics are faster and more agile than any
    > Windows aircraft that's ever been released. :-)
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    > USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    Hehehehe...LOL! Well put. I'd LOVE to see competition in the OS market. I
    don't see it happining for years.....and years....and even then some MS
    is so locked in I can't see it being displaced in anyway. It is sad, but
    youse gotta admit it's true. It's a done deal for now and for the for-c-able
    ever. On well, as Mick Jagger put it: "What can a poor boy do, 'cept to sing
    in an rock 'n' roll band?"

  8. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >"Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >
    >> OS/2 crashed and burned because Microsoft bribed the control towers to
    >> turn off the lights at most of the airports, but the few aircraft that
    >> survived MS's questionable tactics are faster and more agile than any
    >> Windows aircraft that's ever been released. :-)

    >Hehehehe...LOL! Well put. I'd LOVE to see competition in the OS market. I
    >don't see it happining for years.....and years....and even then some

    Competition does happen at the OS level -- just not on the desktop.

    At work I develop and maintain software running under Solaris (Sun's
    UNIX variant) and OS2200 (one of Unisys' two mainframe platforms), and
    Microsoft has very little influence on either platform, though I admit
    I'm working from a XP Pro box using Cygwin, PuTTY, and various UTS
    emulators (Liason and UTS Express).

    >MS is so locked in I can't see it being displaced in anyway.

    Windows Vista is coming. We live in interesting times. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  9. Re: GEOS

    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>"Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> OS/2 crashed and burned because Microsoft bribed the control towers to
    >>> turn off the lights at most of the airports, but the few aircraft that
    >>> survived MS's questionable tactics are faster and more agile than any
    >>> Windows aircraft that's ever been released. :-)

    >>Hehehehe...LOL! Well put. I'd LOVE to see competition in the OS market. I
    >>don't see it happining for years.....and years....and even then some

    > Competition does happen at the OS level -- just not on the desktop.
    >
    > At work I develop and maintain software running under Solaris (Sun's
    > UNIX variant) and OS2200 (one of Unisys' two mainframe platforms), and
    > Microsoft has very little influence on either platform, though I admit
    > I'm working from a XP Pro box using Cygwin, PuTTY, and various UTS
    > emulators (Liason and UTS Express).
    >
    >>MS is so locked in I can't see it being displaced in anyway.

    > Windows Vista is coming. We live in interesting times. :-)
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    > USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    You know it's sad but true. I've recently started teaching at a Vocational
    High School. One of the "Labs" I've done is with GEOS 2.01. It is amazing
    when explained properly how much the "kids", grades 9 - 12, really dig GEOS,
    again as explained within the history of computer based OS's, GUI's
    whatever. I also use Linux "Puppy" and "Ubuntu" as it doesn't mess up their
    XP boxes, (boot for CD etc.), and they love it.

    Sadly the fact of life is it is Windows 2000/3 Server, and XP Pro desktop.
    Anything else is interesting but.....

    Oh well. >

  10. Re: GEOS

    Bob wrote:
    > "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    >> spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >>> "Richard Steiner" wrote in message

    >>> Hehehehe...LOL! Well put. I'd LOVE to see competition in the OS market. I
    >>> don't see it happining for years.....and years....and even then some

    >> Competition does happen at the OS level -- just not on the desktop.
    >>
    >> At work I develop and maintain software running under Solaris (Sun's
    >> UNIX variant) and OS2200 (one of Unisys' two mainframe platforms), and
    >> Microsoft has very little influence on either platform, though I admit
    >> I'm working from a XP Pro box using Cygwin, PuTTY, and various UTS
    >> emulators (Liason and UTS Express).
    >>
    >>> MS is so locked in I can't see it being displaced in anyway.

    >> Windows Vista is coming. We live in interesting times. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    >> USA
    >> Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    >> WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    >> The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    > You know it's sad but true. I've recently started teaching at a Vocational
    > High School. One of the "Labs" I've done is with GEOS 2.01. It is amazing
    > when explained properly how much the "kids", grades 9 - 12, really dig GEOS,
    > again as explained within the history of computer based OS's, GUI's
    > whatever. I also use Linux "Puppy" and "Ubuntu" as it doesn't mess up their
    > XP boxes, (boot for CD etc.), and they love it.
    >
    > Sadly the fact of life is it is Windows 2000/3 Server, and XP Pro desktop.
    > Anything else is interesting but.....
    >
    > Oh well. >

    Just thought I would jump in here. I don't often post here, but
    occasionally I still drop by. I have been seriously looking for a
    replacement for Windows, so I try lots of different stuff. Currently, I
    am exploring the Linux world, and some distros are very good and it is
    amazing what you can get for free. However, I am currently trying the
    latest version of Xandros, the Premium Home edition. A lot of the Linux
    geeks don't like it, because it isn't free, and it requires activation.
    The later doesn't bother me, as it will allow 10 activations on either
    new installs, or reinstalls. Even then, you can get more if you call
    with a good reason. So far, I really like it. It seems to have
    everything I need, including Crossover office if I want to run Windows
    apps. The cost was less that $60 from Amazon with free shipping and no
    sales tax. Considering that I have four computers at home, if I wanted
    to install Xandros on all four, that works out to less that $15 dollars
    each. Since it is a recent install, I can't make any definitive
    judgements just yet. It also comes with a pretty complete security
    suite, which is something I have been wanting with Linux. Anyway, just
    my 2 cents worth.

    Roger

  11. Re: GEOS

    Downloading the free trail version as I write. I'll let you know, and thanks
    for the info.

    "Roger Bentson" wrote in message
    news:k5adnalA1O3RwMvYnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    > Bob wrote:
    >> "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >>> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    >>> spake unto us, saying:

    >>> Competition does happen at the OS level -- just not on the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> At work I develop and maintain software running under Solaris (Sun's
    >>> UNIX variant) and OS2200 (one of Unisys' two mainframe platforms), and
    >>> Microsoft has very little influence on either platform, though I admit
    >>> I'm working from a XP Pro box using Cygwin, PuTTY, and various UTS
    >>> emulators (Liason and UTS Express).

    >>> Windows Vista is coming. We live in interesting times. :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    >>> USA
    >>> Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    >>> WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    >>> The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    >> You know it's sad but true. I've recently started teaching at a
    >> Vocational High School. One of the "Labs" I've done is with GEOS 2.01. It
    >> is amazing when explained properly how much the "kids", grades 9 - 12,
    >> really dig GEOS, again as explained within the history of computer based
    >> OS's, GUI's whatever. I also use Linux "Puppy" and "Ubuntu" as it doesn't
    >> mess up their XP boxes, (boot for CD etc.), and they love it.
    >>
    >> Sadly the fact of life is it is Windows 2000/3 Server, and XP Pro
    >> desktop. Anything else is interesting but.....
    >>
    >> Oh well. >
    >>

    > Just thought I would jump in here. I don't often post here, but
    > occasionally I still drop by. I have been seriously looking for a
    > replacement for Windows, so I try lots of different stuff. Currently, I
    > am exploring the Linux world, and some distros are very good and it is
    > amazing what you can get for free. However, I am currently trying the
    > latest version of Xandros, the Premium Home edition. A lot of the Linux
    > geeks don't like it, because it isn't free, and it requires activation.
    > The later doesn't bother me, as it will allow 10 activations on either new
    > installs, or reinstalls. Even then, you can get more if you call with a
    > good reason. So far, I really like it. It seems to have everything I
    > need, including Crossover office if I want to run Windows apps. The cost
    > was less that $60 from Amazon with free shipping and no sales tax.
    > Considering that I have four computers at home, if I wanted to install
    > Xandros on all four, that works out to less that $15 dollars each. Since
    > it is a recent install, I can't make any definitive judgements just yet.
    > It also comes with a pretty complete security suite, which is something I
    > have been wanting with Linux. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
    >
    > Roger

  12. Re: GEOS

    Roger Bentson wrote:
    > I have been seriously looking for a
    > replacement for Windows, so I try lots of different stuff.

    Personally, I would stick with Windows rather than go with yet another
    Linux variant, with all the associated problems, because support from
    hardware and software makers is like a piece of swiss cheese. If you
    want tremendous choice of options and paths, go with Windows. If you
    want to have fun exploring Linux, then UBUNTU is the closest thing in a
    Linux package to Windows, IMHO!

    > RICHARD STEINER - Re: Vista being a trivial release.

    First of all, Vista has a significant amount of new code, just like
    GEOS32 was promised to be overhauled because GEOS3 ran out of steam and
    needed a rewrite, Vista has a redesigned kernel that takes advantage of
    some of the multiprocessing cores (eg. Intel Core 2 Duo) being
    introduced in mainstream boxes. The VISTA OS and applications software
    will take full advantage of this and the user will be oblivious to what
    is being accomplished under the hood. In addition, the security model
    is much improved. To dismiss Vista as fluff is ridiculous and
    incorrect. Please, do some research before mouthing off. Unfortunately,
    when you have 50M lines of new code, the bug factor has to be a huge
    concern. Its not possible to test all the permulations and even though
    the latest RFM build is good, it will require fixes, just like Linux.
    Just like GEOS. Just like Apple's OSX, Just like every friggin'
    mainframe and mini OS I've ever worked on, etc. They are no diferent.
    And the bigger the base of users, guess what? The bigger the bucket of
    bugs. NO PAIN, NO GAIN. Duuuuh!

  13. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >> RICHARD STEINER - Re: Vista being a trivial release.

    >First of all, Vista has a significant amount of new code ...

    So? Windows XP had a significant amount of new code, and yet many
    folks consider it a downgrade from Windows 2000.

    >The VISTA OS and applications software will take full advantage of
    >this and the user will be oblivious to what is being accomplished
    >under the hood.

    Most Windows users are oblivious about a lot of things. :-)

    Any decent multithreading OS with SMP capabilities should be able to
    efficiently spread a multithreaded task across more than one CPU, so
    it's nice to see that Microsoft is able to create an OS that has some
    basic capabilities in this area. Whether or not performance actually
    improves in a multi-core or multi-CPU environment remains to be seen.

    >In addition, the security model is much improved.

    I'll wait for real-world installations to verify this bit of trivia.

    >To dismiss Vista as fluff is ridiculous and incorrect.

    Why? I've witnessed almost 20 years of Microsoft press releases by now
    regarding their new operating system releases, and the majority of the
    time the statements and claims they have made regarding their new OSes
    has been somewhat exaggerated.

    I've been a PC user for a long time, and I'm quite familiar with a wide
    variety of operating systems and environments on that hardware. For a
    new platform to impress me, it actually has to perform as expected in
    my own environment.

    Until that actually happens, all press releases and reviews in the IT
    press are little more than hearsay.

    You might take software companies' claims on faith. I do not.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  14. Re: GEOS

    Windows might be a more acceptable option if it wasn't so darn
    expensive. Everything that I have read says that to get a version that
    is really worth while, you have to pay through the nose ( actually
    pocket book ). Considering that I have four computers, including my
    wife's laptop, I just can't see going that route. While I am not a
    Linux pro by any means, I have had no troubles installing or using most
    versions, although sticking to the GUI, and avoiding using the command
    line. I have tried Ubuntu, an I don't really like it. I find that it
    can't do a lot of basic things like video with it, and I have yet to be
    able to do an install with dual boot capabilities. I have had no
    problems in that respect with various other distros. Another factor, is
    that I like to at least partially assemble my own computers, and do
    various upgrades, but if I do something major like install a new
    motherboard, I have to get a new license ( more major bucks ) from
    Microsoft. And its not only Windows. Most of the major software makers
    require that you only install on one computer ( anti-virus, etc ).

    So here is my basic plan. 1)Only get Vista if I happen to buy a new
    computer with it already loaded. 2) Hang on to what I have for as long
    as possible. 3) Keep experimenting with alternatives and see what I
    can come up with.

    Consider Xandros 4.0 premium. It comes with crossover office, so I can
    run a lot of Windows apps. It has Firefox, Open Office 2.x, anti-virus,
    firewall and spyware protection. I can play DVDs, music and stuff with
    photos. Etc, etc. The ONLY reason that I haven't as yet switched
    totally over, is my wife. She has to have her Windows games. If I can
    get them to run with Crossover office - lookout! The total cost for
    Xandros was less that $60 dollars. I can reinstall on different
    hardware without worry. And worse comes to worse, maybe I have to
    upgrade to a newer version once and awhile. Vista may very well be a
    great operating system, but my question ( for myself ) is, is it worth it?

    Roger

    winpatpar@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Roger Bentson wrote:
    >> I have been seriously looking for a
    >> replacement for Windows, so I try lots of different stuff.

    > Personally, I would stick with Windows rather than go with yet another
    > Linux variant, with all the associated problems, because support from
    > hardware and software makers is like a piece of swiss cheese. If you
    > want tremendous choice of options and paths, go with Windows. If you
    > want to have fun exploring Linux, then UBUNTU is the closest thing in a
    > Linux package to Windows, IMHO!
    >

    >> RICHARD STEINER - Re: Vista being a trivial release.

    > First of all, Vista has a significant amount of new code, just like
    > GEOS32 was promised to be overhauled because GEOS3 ran out of steam and
    > needed a rewrite, Vista has a redesigned kernel that takes advantage of
    > some of the multiprocessing cores (eg. Intel Core 2 Duo) being
    > introduced in mainstream boxes. The VISTA OS and applications software
    > will take full advantage of this and the user will be oblivious to what
    > is being accomplished under the hood. In addition, the security model
    > is much improved. To dismiss Vista as fluff is ridiculous and
    > incorrect. Please, do some research before mouthing off. Unfortunately,
    > when you have 50M lines of new code, the bug factor has to be a huge
    > concern. Its not possible to test all the permulations and even though
    > the latest RFM build is good, it will require fixes, just like Linux.
    > Just like GEOS. Just like Apple's OSX, Just like every friggin'
    > mainframe and mini OS I've ever worked on, etc. They are no diferent.
    > And the bigger the base of users, guess what? The bigger the bucket of
    > bugs. NO PAIN, NO GAIN. Duuuuh!

  15. Re: GEOS

    On Nov 28 2006, 12:26 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    > You might take software companies' claims on faith. I do not.

    Of course, I am assuming that you are aware a beta has existed for some
    time now, and you can test it for yourself. But, here we are in 2007
    and Vista is about to be released to the consumer world in a few weeks
    so we can start a new era of Windows. Its an on going process and even
    Apple is doing it. Unfortunately, IBM and GEOWORKS came up empty many
    years ago. Sorry!

  16. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >On Nov 28 2006, 12:26 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    >
    >> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >> You might take software companies' claims on faith. I do not.

    >Of course, I am assuming that you are aware a beta has existed for some
    >time now, and you can test it for yourself.

    Actually, I can't -- I have no hardware here capable of booting Vista
    (unless you think it will install, boot, and run on a PPro/200 with
    196MB of RAM, which is the largest and fastest box I have here).

    >Unfortunately, IBM and GEOWORKS came up empty many years ago. Sorry!

    IBM's OS/2 operating system has been powering my home desktop since
    1992. I wish more products would "come up empty" like that. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  17. Re: GEOS

    On Jan 14, 5:52 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    Actually, I can't -- I have no hardware here capable of booting Vista
    > (unless you think it will install, boot, and run on a PPro/200 with
    > 196MB of RAM, which is the largest and fastest box I have here).

    Richard, please don't be cute. Surely you have access to more hardware
    at work or somewhere that can run Vista. Anyway, its too late. Vista
    will be plastered all over new machines that cost one-third the cost of
    a typical GEOS PC being sold 15 years ago.

    > 1992. I wish more products would "come up empty" like that. :-)

    Sure. Virtually anything on a PC that is not Linux, Windows, or OS/X.
    ROTFLMAO!

    Relax, I'm just pulling your leg a bit. GEOS was a contender for a few
    years back in 1990-91.

  18. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >On Jan 14, 5:52 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    >>
    >> Actually, I can't -- I have no hardware here capable of booting Vista
    >> (unless you think it will install, boot, and run on a PPro/200 with
    >> 196MB of RAM, which is the largest and fastest box I have here).

    >Richard, please don't be cute. Surely you have access to more hardware
    >at work or somewhere that can run Vista.

    Not really. Vista is not permitted on the corporate LAN at work, and I
    don't have the authority to install it on either of my work PCs anyway.

    >Anyway, its too late. Vista will be plastered all over new machines
    >that cost one-third the cost of a typical GEOS PC being sold 15
    >years ago.

    True. PC prices have come down a LOT in the past 15 years. Too bad
    that OS prices haven't also dropped. :-(

    >> 1992. I wish more products would "come up empty" like that. :-)

    >Sure. Virtually anything on a PC that is not Linux, Windows, or OS/X.
    >ROTFLMAO!

    Pffffbbbbbttttt!!! :-)

    >Relax, I'm just pulling your leg a bit. GEOS was a contender for a few
    >years back in 1990-91.

    Yes, but then Windows 3.1 came out and actually worked fairly well for
    a cooperatively-multitasking DOS shell. :-) Well enough, anyway.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  19. Re: GEOS

    On Jan 25, 10:31 pm, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    > Not really. Vista is not permitted on the corporate LAN at work, and I
    > don't have the authority to install it on either of my work PCs anyway.

    I would agree since Vista is practically new from ground up and most
    businesses are waiting. However, every IT shop I've worked in has a
    Lab where new hardware and OS are being tested.

    > >> 1992. I wish more products would "come up empty" like that. :-)

    GEOS was remarkable for what it did at the time it was developed (late
    80s, early 90s), but it was never able to go to the next level. To
    graduate beyond grade school. Therefore, to assume that a more
    advanced GEOS would be "Best of Breed" or a contender, compared to
    other operating systems, is pure speculation.

  20. Re: GEOS

    wrote in message
    news:1170204785.244273.312620@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com
    | On Jan 25, 10:31 pm, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    | | Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us,
    | | saying:
    |
    | | Not really. Vista is not permitted on the corporate LAN at work,
    | | and I don't have the authority to install it on either of my work
    | | PCs anyway.
    | |
    | I would agree since Vista is practically new from ground up and most
    | businesses are waiting. However, every IT shop I've worked in has a
    | Lab where new hardware and OS are being tested.

    | |

    | GEOS was remarkable for what it did at the time it was developed (late
    | 80s, early 90s), but it was never able to go to the next level. To
    | graduate beyond grade school. Therefore, to assume that a more
    | advanced GEOS would be "Best of Breed" or a contender, compared to
    | other operating systems, is pure speculation.

    Holy cow! Are you kids still bickering over this? I figured that this
    groups would have long since gone the way of the caveman.

    Oh wait - I forgot about those GEICO commercials.

    Anyway, it's interesting to see people still trying to keep their hobby
    software up and running. I still fire up an old 486sx laptop once in a
    while to use the RS232 transfer for some old stuff at work. People are
    amazed when I describe it to them. Unfortunately, it's just not worth it
    for me to run it all over the shop.

    Hi Pat! Still preaching to the savages, huh? Is it doing any good?

    --
    Tom Accuosti
    http://masonictao.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread