GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS - GEOS ; Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying: >On Jan 25, 10:31 pm, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote: > >> Not really. Vista is not permitted on the corporate LAN at work, and I >> don't have the authority to install ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >On Jan 25, 10:31 pm, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    >
    >> Not really. Vista is not permitted on the corporate LAN at work, and I
    >> don't have the authority to install it on either of my work PCs anyway.

    >I would agree since Vista is practically new from ground up and most
    >businesses are waiting. However, every IT shop I've worked in has a
    >Lab where new hardware and OS are being tested.

    Our company is so decentalized (based in Geneva, large IT offices in
    several places including the UK and here in Atlanta) that I don't
    actually know if such a thing exists, but I'm sure it does.

    >GEOS was remarkable for what it did at the time it was developed (late
    >80s, early 90s), but it was never able to go to the next level. To
    >graduate beyond grade school. Therefore, to assume that a more
    >advanced GEOS would be "Best of Breed" or a contender, compared to
    >other operating systems, is pure speculation.

    I was talking about OS/2 in the sentence above, but PC/GEOS could have
    done very well with only a few additional key applications, I think.

    It'd be a much harder sell these days with Linux, *BSD, and Solaris out
    there as freebies.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  2. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    "Tom Accuosti" spake unto us, saying:

    >Holy cow! Are you kids still bickering over this? I figured that this
    >groups would have long since gone the way of the caveman.

    Hey... Cavemen are people, too. Or proto-people, anyway. :-)

    >Oh wait - I forgot about those GEICO commercials.

    Careful now. They know how to use airports, you know, which means they
    aren't limited to those caves in that rocky cliff anymore.

    >Anyway, it's interesting to see people still trying to keep their hobby
    >software up and running.

    No effort involved here. I run both GWE and NDO in a VDM under OS/2 on
    my main desktop machine (192MB PPro/200). The key is to avoid that OS
    thingie from Redmond. What's it called? Windhose?

    >Hi Pat! Still preaching to the savages, huh? Is it doing any good?

    It's still hard for us to understand him sometimes -- he's trying to
    use smoke signals to communicate while we've been using pulse-modulated
    directional lasers for everyday conversations for several generations.

    Then again, it isn't unusual for MS advocates to be completely out of
    touch with current technology trends. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: GEOS

    On Feb 2, 11:38 pm, "Tom Accuosti"
    wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >

    > Hi Pat! Still preaching to the savages, huh? Is it doing any good?
    >
    > --
    > Tom Accuostihttp://masonictao.wordpress.com/

    Hi Tom,

    The savages remind me of weekend cowboys. They work all week at their
    day gig jobs, but on weekends they dress up like cowboys and pretend
    they are someone else.

    ROTFLMAO!!!

  4. Re: GEOS

    On Feb 3, 12:56 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpat...@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    > I was talking about OS/2 in the sentence above, but PC/GEOS could have
    > done very well with only a few additional key applications, I think.
    >
    > It'd be a much harder sell these days with Linux, *BSD, and Solaris out
    > there as freebies.

    You're right. The sheer enormity of Linux, BS, and Solaris is mind
    boggling.

  5. Re: GEOS

    On Feb 3, 12:59 am, rstei...@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    > "Tom Accuosti" spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Holy cow! Are you kids still bickering over this? I figured that this
    > >groups would have long since gone the way of the caveman.

    > Hey... Cavemen are people, too. Or proto-people, anyway. :-)
    >
    > >Oh wait - I forgot about those GEICO commercials.

    > Careful now. They know how to use airports, you know, which means they
    > aren't limited to those caves in that rocky cliff anymore.
    >
    > >Anyway, it's interesting to see people still trying to keep their hobby
    > >software up and running.

    > No effort involved here. I run both GWE and NDO in a VDM under OS/2 on
    > my main desktop machine (192MB PPro/200). The key is to avoid that OS
    > thingie from Redmond. What's it called? Windhose?
    >
    > >Hi Pat! Still preaching to the savages, huh? Is it doing any good?

    > It's still hard for us to understand him sometimes -- he's trying to
    > use smoke signals to communicate while we've been using pulse-modulated
    > directional lasers for everyday conversations for several generations.
    >
    > Then again, it isn't unusual for MS advocates to be completely out of
    > touch with current technology trends. :-)

    GARTNER GROUP - OCTOBER 2006

    Forecast: PC Market by Operating System, Worldwide, 2001-2010
    Windows XP will be running on nearly 75% of PCs worldwide by the end
    of 2006.

    Yeah, I'm out of touch. LOL!

    Richard, I did play with a new Toshiba laptop A135-S4427 model, for a
    friend who purchased it recently. It came with a 15.4" screen, Core
    Duo 1.73GHz (dual core) processor, 1GB memory, 120GB hard drive, DVD-R/
    W DL DVD drive, USB/Firewire, Wi-Fi, and Vista Home Premium Edition,
    et al. It cost $699 on sale. No extras, but the hard drive is 5400rpm
    with a good access time and the video is nothing special but its fast
    enough for doing 3D manipulation of the Aero Windowing interface. OK!
    So much for what you get today if you are in the market for a new PC
    or Laptop!

    NOTE: Vista is ideal when you buy a new PC. However, Windows XP will
    rule the roost on existing hardware for the foreseeable future.
    Therefore, its going to be a transitional migration across while Vista
    matures and widens its device driver inventory to accommodate older
    Windows XP hardware. The biggest upgrades will be memory, because most
    other components will be fast enough. Oh yeah, video cards wil better
    3D will become popular. Hint: Memory and video!

    My honest opinion is that I started out really upset at Vista, after
    the first hour using it. Within 2 days of learning and studying the
    system, I think its excellent, however, there will be a full 6 months
    before some applications catch up and drivers for older hardware will
    be the main challenge. The security model is completely new. Device
    drivers are going to be scrutinized a whole lot more rigorously. A
    user running at Admin privileges essentially is dropped down to USER
    level, thereby lowering that individual's vulnerability to targeted
    virus' and malware. Then, when a real Admin moment happens (e.g.
    Installing a new App), the User is challenged and prompted through the
    install. As a fellow experienced IT pro, you will recognize this as
    familiar because other OS' have used a similar model, here and there.
    I even used it in on some Mainframe and Mini Operating Systems in my
    fading memory of days past. But Microsoft had to rewrite key
    components to enable this while minimizing the impact on its huge base
    of existing user applications. That is the rub. You need to make
    changes but you must do it strategically with the sheer size of the
    installed base.
    In summary, I think Vista is a step up and people will gravitate to
    it in greater numbers once they learn how it works. But that's my
    opinion based on observing. DOS to Windows 3 to Windows 3.1 to Windows
    98 to Windows ME to Windows XP, and now to Windows Vista.

    Whoa!!!!

    Hey, maybe I am preaching to the choir. Then again, do we even have
    enough choir members in the Church of GEOS to be heard on the street?

  6. Re: GEOS

    I prefer a notebook which runs 20h on battery...

    Andreas

    winpatpar@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > I even used it in on some Mainframe and Mini Operating Systems in my
    > fading memory of days past. But Microsoft had to rewrite key
    > components to enable this while minimizing the impact on its huge base
    > of existing user applications. That is the rub. You need to make
    > changes but you must do it strategically with the sheer size of the
    > installed base.
    > In summary, I think Vista is a step up and people will gravitate to
    > it in greater numbers once they learn how it works. But that's my
    > opinion based on observing. DOS to Windows 3 to Windows 3.1 to Windows
    > 98 to Windows ME to Windows XP, and now to Windows Vista.
    >
    > Whoa!!!!
    >
    > Hey, maybe I am preaching to the choir. Then again, do we even have
    > enough choir members in the Church of GEOS to be heard on the street?

  7. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

    >GARTNER GROUP - OCTOBER 2006
    >
    >Forecast: PC Market by Operating System, Worldwide, 2001-2010
    >Windows XP will be running on nearly 75% of PCs worldwide by the end
    >of 2006.

    Amazing what preload contracts will do for market share, isn't it?

    >Yeah, I'm out of touch. LOL!

    The fact that you're equating desktop OS market share with generic tech
    trends seems to strongly underline my point. :-)

    There's a lot more to life in the IT world (and in a home technology
    context) than PeeCee desktops. Really.

    > In summary, I think Vista is a step up and people will gravitate to
    >it in greater numbers once they learn how it works.

    I agree that people will gravitate towards it, but most folks won't
    have a choice in the matter. They will be using what their PC vendor
    is preloading or what their employer is supporting, nothing more.

    >Hey, maybe I am preaching to the choir. Then again, do we even have
    >enough choir members in the Church of GEOS to be heard on the street?

    Those who truly find enlightenment aren't much concerned with spreading
    the word. That type of activity tends to occur in communities where
    the message isn't compelling enough by itself. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: GEOS

    All's I know is I unexpectedly started a Tech Support position
    supporting Mac OS X 10.4.8. I love it! (The Mac...well and the job) I
    find Mac OS X simple and intuitive. And the dang thing just works.

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, winpatpar@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> GARTNER GROUP - OCTOBER 2006
    >>
    >> Forecast: PC Market by Operating System, Worldwide, 2001-2010
    >> Windows XP will be running on nearly 75% of PCs worldwide by the end
    >> of 2006.

    > Amazing what preload contracts will do for market share, isn't it?
    >
    >> Yeah, I'm out of touch. LOL!

    > The fact that you're equating desktop OS market share with generic tech
    > trends seems to strongly underline my point. :-)
    >
    > There's a lot more to life in the IT world (and in a home technology
    > context) than PeeCee desktops. Really.
    >
    >> In summary, I think Vista is a step up and people will gravitate to
    >> it in greater numbers once they learn how it works.

    > I agree that people will gravitate towards it, but most folks won't
    > have a choice in the matter. They will be using what their PC vendor
    > is preloading or what their employer is supporting, nothing more.
    >
    >> Hey, maybe I am preaching to the choir. Then again, do we even have
    >> enough choir members in the Church of GEOS to be heard on the street?

    > Those who truly find enlightenment aren't much concerned with spreading
    > the word. That type of activity tends to occur in communities where
    > the message isn't compelling enough by itself. :-)

  9. Re: GEOS

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, Bob
    spake unto us, saying:

    >All's I know is I unexpectedly started a Tech Support position
    >supporting Mac OS X 10.4.8. I love it! (The Mac...well and the job) I
    >find Mac OS X simple and intuitive. And the dang thing just works.

    I used a Mac IIci running MacOS 7.01 with a 20" monitor as my main
    workstation at work for quite a while (1993 through 1999 or so), and
    then got a PowerMac running MacOS 9 after that until I left in 2002.

    I liked my Macs. I actually liked the first one so much (the IIci)
    that I bought it from the company when they decided to sell some of
    them off. :-)