Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation - GEOS

This is a discussion on Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation - GEOS ; Anybody running Breadbox Ensemble under OS/2 or eComstation? I have the latest versions of Ensemble and eComstation. I have run this combination in the past. It seems to install ok, but then crashes when trying to run the setup program ...

  1. Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    Anybody running Breadbox Ensemble under OS/2 or eComstation? I have the
    latest versions of Ensemble and eComstation. I have run this
    combination in the past. It seems to install ok, but then crashes when
    trying to run the setup program - I get a KR-07 error message. Could
    this be because of the fast cpu problem? I have an eMachines computer
    ( AMD 3000+ cpu ). I have made all of the suggested changes in the
    ensemble readme text file.

    Roger

  2. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    Roger Bentson wrote:
    > Anybody running Breadbox Ensemble under OS/2 or eComstation? I have the
    > latest versions of Ensemble and eComstation. I have run this
    > combination in the past. It seems to install ok, but then crashes when
    > trying to run the setup program - I get a KR-07 error message. Could
    > this be because of the fast cpu problem? I have an eMachines computer
    > ( AMD 3000+ cpu ). I have made all of the suggested changes in the
    > ensemble readme text file.
    >
    > Roger

    Yes i run it. but it not run when the CPU speed is high.

    It a Breadbox bug on the loder.

    I use then new mini-ITX mainbord from Jetway.
    Jetway J7F2WE C7-D CPU 1.5 GHz, then it not load.
    Jetrway j7F2WE C7 1.2Ghz Eden, then it run.
    Epia SP 13000 mini-ITX then it run.
    Epia C7 Eden 1.2GHz thren it run.
    Epia C7 1.5 GHz then it not run.
    When i try run on a AMD 2000+ ore AMD 2400+ then it not run.
    When i use AMD Durun 1200 & 1300Mhz thern it run.
    This i real bad, i have on long time use Breadbox Offfice.
    But after John tell (05-09-06) thy not make the fix off the loader ,
    then i start look on Open Office.

    If there is not sone comming a fix ore a new Office, then i no more can
    tell other to try it.

  3. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    Hi,

    > eComstation ... I get a KR-07 error message

    Did you changed the entries for FS and primaryFSD in your geos.ini to
    "os2.geo"?

    Jörg

  4. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:05:06 UTC, Roger Bentson
    wrote:

    > Anybody running Breadbox Ensemble under OS/2 or eComstation? I have the
    > latest versions of Ensemble and eComstation. I have run this
    > combination in the past. It seems to install ok, but then crashes when
    > trying to run the setup program - I get a KR-07 error message. Could
    > this be because of the fast cpu problem? I have an eMachines computer
    > ( AMD 3000+ cpu ). I have made all of the suggested changes in the
    > ensemble readme text file.
    >
    > Roger

    The problem is DEFINITELY the speed of the CPU. The problem is wirh
    LOADER.EXE that is called to load the program. I can (and do) run it
    on a 3GHz Pentium 4, but I have to run it in pure DOS using a utility
    called MO-SLO which slows down the CPU to load Ensemble and then drops
    out after it is loaded. It will then run at full speed.
    MO-SLO has two methods of slowing the CPU and Method 2 is needed for
    load Ensemble. Unfortunately Method 2 does not work with the OS/2 DOS
    emulator (Method 1 does, but does not work with Ensemble under OS/2.

    The bottom line: If you want to dual boot to DOS on your OS/2 Fast CPU
    then you can run it with MO-SLO. Otherwise, you are out of luck. I
    have contacted Breadbox - they know - they say they are working on a
    32 bit version and do not intend to solve the current problem with
    LOADER.EXE.

    MO-SLO website: http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

    Sorry I do not have better news
    Paul
    --

  5. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    Hi,

    > It seems to install ok, but then crashes when trying to run the setup program

    Two more questions:
    a) is this a fresh installation or did you "only" copy BBE from your
    old PC onto the new one?
    b) does this crash occur when starting BBE or when the setup
    automatically starts when BBE is running? (In other words: Did you set
    continueSetup to false in your Geos.ini?)

    Jörg

  6. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    jpolzfuss@yahoo.de wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> It seems to install ok, but then crashes when trying to run the setup program

    > Two more questions:
    > a) is this a fresh installation or did you "only" copy BBE from your
    > old PC onto the new one?
    > b) does this crash occur when starting BBE or when the setup
    > automatically starts when BBE is running? (In other words: Did you set
    > continueSetup to false in your Geos.ini?)
    >
    > Jörg

    a) It was a fresh install.

    b) I installed BBE while in text mode. Then at the point where it wants
    to go into graphical mode and continue the setup, it crashes immediately
    with the error message. Any attempts to start the program after that
    just end with the same message. I did not set continueSetup to false in
    the Geos.ini file. I did make all of the other recommeded changes,
    however, such as full screen mode, etc. Are you saying that it is the
    continueSetup option that is causing the crash? I will try that and see
    if it helps.

    Thanks,
    Roger

  7. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    Hi,

    > a) It was a fresh install.

    Okay - this eliminates problems with old settings for printers,
    graphic-cards, ... , old state files,... .

    > b) I installed BBE while in text mode. Then at the point where it wants
    > to go into graphical mode and continue the setup, it crashes immediately
    > with the error message.

    Are there any restrictions for Dos-Programs (incl. BBE) regarding the
    graphic modes while ecomstation is "in text mode"? (E.g. are
    dos-programs allowed to switch to graphic-mode? are dos-programs
    allowed to use VGA?)

    > Are you saying that it is the continueSetup option that is causing the crash?

    The setup-program inside of Geos is crashing on nearly all faster PCs,
    hence it's best to skip that step and change everything later under
    "preferences".

    Jörg

  8. Re: Ensemble and OS/2/eComstation

    jpolzfuss@yahoo.de wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> a) It was a fresh install.

    > Okay - this eliminates problems with old settings for printers,
    > graphic-cards, ... , old state files,... .
    >
    >> b) I installed BBE while in text mode. Then at the point where it wants
    >> to go into graphical mode and continue the setup, it crashes immediately
    >> with the error message.

    > Are there any restrictions for Dos-Programs (incl. BBE) regarding the
    > graphic modes while ecomstation is "in text mode"? (E.g. are
    > dos-programs allowed to switch to graphic-mode? are dos-programs
    > allowed to use VGA?)
    >
    >> Are you saying that it is the continueSetup option that is causing the crash?

    > The setup-program inside of Geos is crashing on nearly all faster PCs,
    > hence it's best to skip that step and change everything later under
    > "preferences".
    >
    > Jörg

    I don't really know of all the restrictions with eComstation, as far as
    going from text mode to graphic-mode. However, I have used this
    combination ( OS/2 & Ensemble ) in the past with no problems. Also, I
    tried after the install, to start the program normally with the
    continueSetup equal to both "true" and also "false". The program
    launches, and the initial BBE logo screen appears, and then immediately
    crashes. It must be the fast cpu problem, but I was hoping that there
    might be some way to slow down the startup process via the many DOS
    setting available under OS/2. I have also posted this problem to an
    OS/2 users discussion group.

    Roger

+ Reply to Thread