Target Date for Geos32?? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Target Date for Geos32?? - GEOS ; In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of Geos32? Thanks, Paul --...

  1. Target Date for Geos32??

    --

  2. Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    LOL!! Yes. NEVER. Are you serious?????
    "PaulRS" wrote in message
    > In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    > Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    > Geos32?
    > Thanks,
    > Paul
    > --

  3. Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:23:46 UTC, "Bob" wrote:

    > LOL!! Yes. NEVER. Are you serious?????
    > "PaulRS" wrote in message
    > > In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    > > Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    > > Geos32?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul
    > > --

    WELL . . . that is what I was told in an earlier post "Fast computer
    loader problem." Actually, I would be happy if the LOADER.EXE problem
    could be fixed on the current version of GEOS. I for one still use
    GEOS.
    Paul

    --

  4. Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    PaulRS wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:23:46 UTC, "Bob" wrote:
    >

    >>LOL!! Yes. NEVER. Are you serious?????
    >>"PaulRS" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    >>>Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    >>>Geos32?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Paul
    >>>--
    >>>

    > WELL . . . that is what I was told in an earlier post "Fast computer
    > loader problem." Actually, I would be happy if the LOADER.EXE problem
    > could be fixed on the current version of GEOS. I for one still use
    > GEOS.
    > Paul

    Me too, although on a less regular basis than before.
    A 32-bit Geos would definitely be a good thing for me, especially if it
    accompanied by ADSL connection (say Ethernet).

  5. Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    Hi Paul,

    There is no target date set yet. However Breadbox have made som
    extensive work on Geos32, I don't have any specific information to give,
    and I have not seen any alpha or beta of it. According to Frank at
    Breadbox it is a major work and it will take very long time, as Breadbox
    will do it properly, no quick and dirty work, here!

    This major work includes some other big necessary side projects, not
    only a 32-bit version, but like converting the kernel to C. Most
    probably it is not in the state yet, to talk about a target date.
    Remember, there are not hordes of GEOS programmers biting into this
    task, more in the magnitude of handful of real great programmers. Frank
    also said, that GEOS 32 will be released when it is ready. Remember that
    software development and release will probably include funding, of some
    sort. So there are obstacles to overcome, we can only hope that Frank
    and the rest of the team will succeed!

    In the meantime we can show Breadbox our support by upgrading our varous
    GEOS versions to Breadbox Ensemble 4.12, available at their homepage:
    http://www.breadbox.com

    I am not affiliated with Breadbox, just a happy user of their software,
    and a GEOS supporter.

    BR,
    Hans

    PaulRS wrote:

    > In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    > Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    > Geos32?
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

  6. Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    PaulRS" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:23:46 UTC, "Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> LOL!! Yes. NEVER. Are you serious?????
    >> "PaulRS" wrote in message
    >> > In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    >> > Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    >> > Geos32?
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Paul
    >> > --
    >> >

    > WELL . . . that is what I was told in an earlier post "Fast computer
    > loader problem." Actually, I would be happy if the LOADER.EXE problem
    > could be fixed on the current version of GEOS. I for one still use
    > GEOS.
    > Paul

    Problem is there is no one working on GEOS, hasn't been for years and
    never-ever-never will be again. Try Ubuntu instead. www.ubuntu.com/download
    GEOS has been dead for years, and is really a relic. Quite a nasty little
    GUI by even the worst standards presently. Just an obsolete hobbie for 6
    folks on the planet.

  7. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us, saying:

    >Problem is there is no one working on GEOS, hasn't been for years and
    >never-ever-never will be again. Try Ubuntu instead. www.ubuntu.com/download

    For older hardware I would actually recommend something like DSL:

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

    or Puppy Linux:

    http://www.puppylinux.com

    >GEOS has been dead for years, and is really a relic. Quite a nasty little
    >GUI by even the worst standards presently. Just an obsolete hobbie for 6
    >folks on the planet.

    The Motif-based GUI is getting dated, but the pinnable menus are still
    a fairly nice feature.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > The Motif-based GUI is getting dated, but the pinnable menus are still
    > a fairly nice feature.

    Agreed 100%. I'm amazed it's not standard in all OS's & Apps.

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    newsc0EFpHpvGXD092yn@visi.com...
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us,
    > saying:
    >
    >>Problem is there is no one working on GEOS, hasn't been for years and
    >>never-ever-never will be again. Try Ubuntu instead.
    >>www.ubuntu.com/download

    > For older hardware I would actually recommend something like DSL:
    >
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
    >
    > or Puppy Linux:
    >
    > http://www.puppylinux.com
    >
    >>GEOS has been dead for years, and is really a relic. Quite a nasty little
    >>GUI by even the worst standards presently. Just an obsolete hobbie for 6
    >>folks on the planet.

    > The Motif-based GUI is getting dated, but the pinnable menus are still
    > a fairly nice feature.
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    > USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  9. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > or Puppy Linux:
    >
    > http://www.puppylinux.com

    Thanks for the tip

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    newsc0EFpHpvGXD092yn@visi.com...
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us,
    > saying:
    >
    >>Problem is there is no one working on GEOS, hasn't been for years and
    >>never-ever-never will be again. Try Ubuntu instead.
    >>www.ubuntu.com/download

    > For older hardware I would actually recommend something like DSL:
    >
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
    >
    > or Puppy Linux:
    >
    > http://www.puppylinux.com
    >
    >>GEOS has been dead for years, and is really a relic. Quite a nasty little
    >>GUI by even the worst standards presently. Just an obsolete hobbie for 6
    >>folks on the planet.

    > The Motif-based GUI is getting dated, but the pinnable menus are still
    > a fairly nice feature.
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA
    > USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    Richard,

    I took a look at DSL. What do I download? The FTP sites list 15-20
    files in the Current directory. Is there a file there that I can
    download that will allow me to see it and install it from my hard
    drive?

    I also didn't see any system requirements beyond a 486DX with 16MB of
    RAM or 128MB (It didn't say what speed CPU is required for 128MB).

    Joe

    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >

    > For older hardware I would actually recommend something like DSL:
    >
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

  11. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, Joe spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard,
    >
    >I took a look at DSL. What do I download?

    If your machine is able to boot from CD, and if you have the ability to
    burn CDs, I'd simply grab the ISO image from here:

    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu.../dsl-3.0.1.iso

    The syslinux version uses an alternate boot load which may work if the
    above fails.

    I believe

    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...bootfloppy.img

    is a boot floppy image. You'll need a program like rawrite.exe to
    create a boot floppy.

    >I also didn't see any system requirements beyond a 486DX with 16MB of
    >RAM or 128MB (It didn't say what speed CPU is required for 128MB).

    I'm not sure. It might be worth asking in the forums.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  12. Re: Ubuntu - Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    > Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, Joe spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Richard,
    > >
    > >I took a look at DSL. What do I download?

    > If your machine is able to boot from CD, and if you have the ability to
    > burn CDs, I'd simply grab the ISO image from here:
    >
    > ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu.../dsl-3.0.1.iso
    >
    > The syslinux version uses an alternate boot load which may work if the
    > above fails.
    >
    > I believe
    >
    > ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...bootfloppy.img
    >
    > is a boot floppy image. You'll need a program like rawrite.exe to
    > create a boot floppy.
    >
    > >I also didn't see any system requirements beyond a 486DX with 16MB of
    > >RAM or 128MB (It didn't say what speed CPU is required for 128MB).

    > I'm not sure. It might be worth asking in the forums.
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
    > Mainframe/Unix bit twiddler by day, OS/2+Linux+DOS hobbyist by night.
    > WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    > The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

    Thanks for the reply. I don't have a burnable CD. I'll have to check
    the forums.

    Joe

  13. Re: Target Date for Geos32??

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:10:25 GMT, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:23:46 UTC, "Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> LOL!! Yes. NEVER. Are you serious?????
    >> "PaulRS" wrote in message
    >> > In an earlier post, a Geos32 was mentioned by a respondent from
    >> > Breadbox. Is there a target date to look forward to on the coming of
    >> > Geos32?
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Paul
    >> > --
    >> >

    >WELL . . . that is what I was told in an earlier post "Fast computer
    >loader problem." Actually, I would be happy if the LOADER.EXE problem
    >could be fixed on the current version of GEOS. I for one still use
    >GEOS.
    > Paul

    Of course sobriety is a long term challenge for any Geos programer
    regardless of 16 vs 32 bit programing talent. Yes a decade (or more)
    long challenge indeed. I think Jack (Daniels) is an obsticle to this
    work or another of his ilk. Hickup! Let me program, hickup! Oh the
    blessings of Jack! Hickup!

+ Reply to Thread