Geoworks Error Messages? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Geoworks Error Messages? - GEOS ; I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks) on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and ...

  1. Geoworks Error Messages?

    I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me
    to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet from
    BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

  2. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    Hi Deano,

    We do not have a fix for that problem yet. You're about the fourth person I've
    heard who has this problem. Any app that uses the built in Geos document
    handling system experiences this problem, while simpler apps run without problems.

    John Howard
    Breadbox Computer Company LLC

    Deano wrote:
    > I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    > on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me
    > to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    > error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    > have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    > like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet from
    > BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

  3. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    John Howard wrote:
    > Hi Deano,
    >
    > We do not have a fix for that problem yet. You're about the fourth
    > person I've heard who has this problem. Any app that uses the built in
    > Geos document handling system experiences this problem, while simpler
    > apps run without problems.
    >
    > John Howard
    > Breadbox Computer Company LLC
    >
    > Deano wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    >> on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow
    >> me to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM
    >> 31 error message when I try to run the Write application. Does
    >> anybody have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I
    >> would really like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the
    >> help sheet from BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

    Thanks for the reply, John. I kinda figured that it wouldn't work,
    but I gave it a try anyhow. I REALLY miss GeoWrite. It is still the
    fastest, easiest, simplest, and generally BEST writing program I have
    EVER used!! MS Weird SUCKS!! Just MHO. ;-Deano (formerly GeoDeano)

  4. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    Hi Deano!

    You scribed:

    > I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    >on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me
    >to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    >error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    >have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    >like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet from
    >BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

    I haven't been using Geos (NDO) on a Win XP machine recently but had
    some weird experience with some othe native DOS apps on a Win-XP
    machine with an 80 gig harddisk.

    My help was to repartition the rig and to install a native DOS within
    the first 1,024 HD cylinder (There's no real space problem with an 80
    gig HD...)

    At least, this helped. The underlying DOS in that DOS partition is
    some old Caldera stuff, uh -- a DR-DOS 7.3, I guess.

    The Win XP has another (starting) partition well within the 1,024 cyls
    area. It runs like hell. All the stuff produced by WinXp and DOS goes
    onto a third partition where it can be read/processed by each other.
    The XP stuff won't be handled by DOS apps, of course, but that's not
    req'd anyway.

    Deano, my idea would be that you consider a re-partitioning of your
    machine as well and proceed as described above. Geos/NDO will behave
    absolutely faithful in a native DOS environment.

    HTH,
    Hans.

  5. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    > I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    >>on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me
    >>to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    >>error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    >>have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    >>like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet from
    >>BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

    I have NDO 3.2a up and running on XP pro. Here is a excerpt of the
    GEOS.INI file :

    [system]
    continueSetup = false
    handles = 3900

    setupMode = 2
    fs = {
    os2.geo
    ;ms4.geo
    ;msnet.geo
    }
    serialnumber = ...
    drive b = 0
    power = none
    memory = {
    emm.geo
    xms.geo
    extmem.geo
    disk.geo
    }

    The \windows\system32\CONFIG.NT file contains :
    dos=high,umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=120
    ntcmdprompt

    In the NDO program properties (associated to the shortcut), I have all
    memory options set to automatic, full screen, ROM emulation yes, dynamic
    allocation yes, don't allow screen saver, always suspend no, exclusive
    mode no, compatibility all unchecked. Ah and I am the admin of my PC.

    I hope this helps.

    Philippe.

  6. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    Hans Voges wrote:
    > Hi Deano!
    >
    > You scribed:
    >

    >> I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    >>on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me
    >>to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    >>error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    >>have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    >>like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet from
    >>BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

    > I haven't been using Geos (NDO) on a Win XP machine recently but had
    > some weird experience with some othe native DOS apps on a Win-XP
    > machine with an 80 gig harddisk.
    >
    > My help was to repartition the rig and to install a native DOS within
    > the first 1,024 HD cylinder (There's no real space problem with an 80
    > gig HD...)
    >
    > At least, this helped. The underlying DOS in that DOS partition is
    > some old Caldera stuff, uh -- a DR-DOS 7.3, I guess.
    >
    > The Win XP has another (starting) partition well within the 1,024 cyls
    > area. It runs like hell. All the stuff produced by WinXp and DOS goes
    > onto a third partition where it can be read/processed by each other.
    > The XP stuff won't be handled by DOS apps, of course, but that's not
    > req'd anyway.
    >
    > Deano, my idea would be that you consider a re-partitioning of your
    > machine as well and proceed as described above. Geos/NDO will behave
    > absolutely faithful in a native DOS environment.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Hans.

    Thanks for the info, Hans. I had a dual-boot/partitioned hard drive a
    while back. That was pre-XP, and a REAL PITA. I can't see doing it
    again as far as not being worth the effort. If I have any more
    nostalgia pangs, I'll fire up my 386 laptop with the 40meg hd that STILL
    has Geos on it and STILL works!! ;-Deano

  7. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    Hi Deano!

    You scribed:

    >Thanks for the info, Hans. I had a dual-boot/partitioned hard drive a
    >while back. That was pre-XP, and a REAL PITA. I can't see doing it
    >again as far as not being worth the effort. If I have any more
    >nostalgia pangs, I'll fire up my 386 laptop with the 40meg hd that STILL
    >has Geos on it and STILL works!! ;-Deano

    Reactivating of your old 386 would be, to be honest, the best idea,
    Deano. Nothing would be interfering somethin else.

    I did this myself, even somehow "semi-professionally": I used the
    notebook while travelling, and had the 'better' desktop at my home
    office for processing the whole stuff that I took up on the road. Data
    transfer took place via a simple 1:1 serial cable at 115 k bps (what
    we call here in Germany a "null-modem").

    Ran like hell, excepted that the notebooks's CMOS battery was down and
    that it was a soldered type. No way to replace it (at least not for
    me, as me being a bloody greenhorn who doesn't know at which end the
    soldering iron gets warm). - Now, I feed the notebook's BIOS at every
    startup with all the nuts & bolts detailed stuff the BIOS needs, like
    HD drive details, time, date, etc..

    Everything is possible. Bob probably may comment this differently but
    I don't care anything destructive.

    Best Regards,

    Hans.

  8. Re: Geoworks Error Messages?

    Deano,

    RE-
    I just installed an older version of New Deal Office (say GeoWorks)
    on my Windows XP Machine. While the program does come up and allow me

    to navigate TO various apps, it won't let me run any. I get and FM 31
    error message when I try to run the Write application. Does anybody
    have a fix for this, or a list of the old error fixes? I would really
    like to get this to work under XP. I have downloaded the help sheet
    from
    BBox, but it only got me this far. Thanks. ;-Deano

    I'm not sure if it applies to XP, but whenever I was unable to get
    other flavors of Windows to provide ~600k or more of conventional
    memory for GEOS, I experienced similar symptoms to what you describe.
    As a workaround I always found that I was able to launch an existing
    document to gain access to the GEO-app desired. IE, from the DOCUMENT
    display, I could click on any NewWrite/GeoWrite file to get into our
    favorite word processor, or any NewCalc/GeoCalc file to get to the
    spreadsheet, etc. But for whatever reason, I couldn't sucessfully
    launch by clicking on the application icons in the WORLD display. Since
    Write Untitled, Calc Untitled, etc always exist even if there are no
    others, you should/may be able to any Geo-app you need.

    Hope this works for you,

    Ray Washington

+ Reply to Thread