PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Where to Get More Information (part 4/6) - GEOS

This is a discussion on PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Where to Get More Information (part 4/6) - GEOS ; Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part4 Posting-Frequency: monthly Last-modified: January 1, 2003 URL: http://www.geocities.com/originalrav...pcgeosfaq4.txt The most recent version of this file can be found at any news.answers archive site. One such site is rtfm.mit.edu, in the /pub/usenet/comp.os.geos.misc subdirectory. The most recent version of the ...

  1. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Where to Get More Information (part 4/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part4
    Posting-Frequency: monthly
    Last-modified: January 1, 2003

    The most recent version of this file can be found at any news.answers
    archive site. One such site is rtfm.mit.edu, in the
    /pub/usenet/comp.os.geos.misc subdirectory. The most recent version of the
    FAQ is also available from my home page at
    http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray/geos/faq/ in both HTML and ASCII
    format.

    DISCLAIMER

    I make no claims about the accuracy of this information. Use it at your own
    risk. This file is compiled from various sources, including but not limited
    to USENET, the Web, commercial networks, and electronic mail. The FAQ is
    mostly targeted towards desktop Geos users, both Ensemble and NewDeal
    Office. However, there are still many sections devoted to other topics and
    Geos platforms.

    This information may be freely distributed, in whole or in part, in any
    form, provided that any distributor:

    * Tells me, so that I can inform you of updates to the FAQ and tell the
    USENET community (I will keep the information confidential, if you
    desire)
    * Makes every reasonable effort to keep this information current
    * Releases myself and the rest of USENET from any liability.

    If this file leaves the confines of USENET for any BBS's, web pages, user
    groups, commercial networks, or other networks (FidoNet, GeoHolics Net,
    etc.) or vendors, please let me know so that I can pass along the
    information to others.

    Please send submissions, comments, suggestions, or corrections to
    rayancog@pacific.net.ph.

    CREDITS

    I'd like to give the following folks my thanks:

    * Steve Main (ndmain@aol.com) former Director of Technical Services,
    NewDeal.
    * John Howard (johnh@breadbox.com) of Breadbox Computers, for giving me
    up-to-date info.
    * Stephen Haffly (hafflys@earthlink.net) for reposting this FAQ to
    FidoNet.
    * Lynn Montelauro (GSMLynn@aol.com) for making this FAQ a part of GSMN.
    * Rose Walton PC Coaches (rwcoaching@aol.com,
    http://users.aol.com/rwcoaching/) for distributing copies of this FAQ
    to its customers.
    * Werni Grieder (BaselBasel@aol.com,
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WerniGrieder) for being a
    Geos deity.
    * Doug Taylor (doug-taylor+@osu.edu) for a lot of the PDA information.
    * All the people who have written great Geos software.
    * All the people who mail me information and follow comp.os.geos.misc.
    * And of course, James Bearden, the original author of this FAQ.

    UPDATES

    Since the previous update (February 10, 2002), the following sections have
    been updated:

    * Credits (John Howard's e-mail addresses)
    * Section 4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I
    care?
    * Section 4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?
    * Section 4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?
    * Section 4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?
    * Section 4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?
    * Section 4.9.1, What Geos User Groups are out there?
    * Section 4.10.1, Are there mailing lists for Geos?

    * 4 Where to Get More Information
    o 4.1 On-line Services
    + 4.1.1 What kind of support is there for Geos on CompuServe?
    o 4.2 BBS Networks
    + 4.2.1 Is there much Geos activity on FidoNet?
    o 4.3 USENET Newsgroups
    + 4.3.1 Is there a USENET newsgroup for Geos?
    + 4.3.2 Is it OK to post binaries to comp.os.geos.misc?
    + 4.3.3 I don't have access to comp.binaries.geos at my site.
    How can I get the files posted there?
    o 4.4 GeoInfo Database
    + 4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I care?
    o 4.5 FOD Files
    + 4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?
    o 4.6 Publications
    + 4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?
    o 4.7 The World Wide Web
    + 4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?
    o 4.8 More Zoomer and HP OmniGo Information
    + 4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?
    + 4.8.2 Is there a Zoomer FAQ?
    o 4.9 Geos User Groups
    + 4.9.1 What is Geos User Groups are out there?

    4 Where to Get More Information

    4.1 On-line Services

    4.1.1 What kind of support is there for Geos on CompuServe?

    It is still being verified whether Geoworks is still active in the PALMB
    forum. Peer support for the desktop version is available in the PCAPP
    forum. As HP has discontinued the OmniGo 100/120 in favor of Windows
    CE-based HPC's, it is unlikely that the OmniGo is supported by Team HP in
    the HPHAND forum.

    4.2 BBS Networks

    4.2.1 Is there much Geos activity on FidoNet?

    There is an active FidoNet Echo for Geos, moderated by Stephen Haffly
    (hafflys@hawaii.rr.com), with Anne Page as co-moderator. Bug your local
    FidoNet SysOp.

    4.3 USENET Newsgroups

    4.3.1 Is there a USENET newsgroup for Geos?

    Yes, it is named comp.os.geos.misc. There is also a moderated newsgroup for
    binaries called comp.binaries.geos. A newsgroup called
    comp.os.geos.programmer for Geos development discussions is also on line.

    There is also a newsgroup for the Nokia 9000-series Communicators. The
    9110.net Newsserver hosts a set of newsgroups with specific topics. To read
    and post on these newsgroups, use the hostname news.9110.net and port 9110.
    In some newsreaders, you may have to combine the two as news.9110.net:9110.
    Two good start-off points are 9k.admin and 9k.misc.

    4.3.2 Is it OK to post binaries to comp.os.geos.misc?

    No. There's a special group for Geos binaries called comp.binaries.geos.
    It's moderated, though, so don't expect your postings to show up right
    away. Send submissions to comp-binaries-geos@pilot.njin.net. The moderator
    is Dan "Shag" Birchall (shag@emanon.net). If your site isn't carrying
    comp.binaries.geos, don't worry too much. Some sites refuse to carry binary
    groups.

    4.3.3 I don't have access to comp.binaries.geos at my site. How can I get
    the files posted there?

    First, check with your system news administrator or USENET news supplier to
    find out why you're not getting the group. If they won't or can't supply
    it, you can try ftp://ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp/Usenet/comp.binaries.geos/. If all
    else fails, you can search through the many Geos FTP sites, or post a
    request to comp.os.geos.misc.

    4.4 GeoInfo Database

    4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I care?

    The Geos Information Database started out in life as a FAQ similar to this
    one many years ago. It eventually grew too large to properly maintain, so
    it was converted to an on-line AOL database. It currently has over a
    thousand entries detailing every Geos related problem, hint, and tip
    imaginable. Occasionally plain text versions of the GeoInfo Database are
    made available to the general public. Recently Steve Main made an E-book
    version, and Jon Frisby (logical@ix.netcom.com) has made a copy available
    via several VBBS networks. James Bearden, the previous author of this FAQ,
    had made a WWW version available, and both the text and E-book versions are
    available via FTP at ftp://members.aol.com/geoinfo. With the demise of the
    Geoworks Forum on AOL, the GeoInfo was assimilated into the NewDeal
    website, but can't be retrieved from there anymore.

    4.5 FOD Files

    4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?

    The Geoworks text Fax-On-Demand files contain a lot of Geos information.
    The original versions are current as of "March 7, 1994", (which is circa
    v2.0), and were available via FTP in both text and GeoWrite versions from
    Geoworks' FTP site, and previously from James Bearden's website. Afterwards
    they were maintained by NewDeal and renamed as Technical Support Documents,
    and were available on the Support section of its website. They were also
    available for sale on floppy disk.

    4.6 Publications

    4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?

    To my knowledge, there are no such current publications. However, you might
    find these old publications archived somewhere.

    * Mobilis - John Jerney (jerney@mobilis.volksware.com) said:

    "Mobilis: The mobile computing lifestyle magazine.
    Mobilis is a free monthly magazine available
    exclusively on the web in its entirety featuring
    interviews, tutorials, reviews, and opinion concerning
    all aspects of Pads, wireless communication, and mobile
    peripherals."

    * GeoBytes - A sporadically released newsletter written by the AOL
    GeoReps. GeoBytes is no longer being produced, but existing
    GeoBytes are packed with information that applies to Geos 2.x and
    to a lesser extent to higher versions.
    * GSMN Newsletter - The newsletter included with the monthly GSMN
    distribution.
    * GeigacounteR Digest - Included with the GSMN distribution.

    4.7 The World Wide Web

    4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?

    There are many WWW pages dedicated to Geos. A few good places to start are:

    * BreadBox website at http://www.breadbox.com
    * GEOS/NewDeal WebRing at
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/4373
    * Gene Anderson's website at http://www.tvakatter.org

    4.8 More Zoomer and HP OmniGo Information

    4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?

    There is supposed to be one but currently I can't find it. Also below are a
    few of the excellent WWW pages devoted to the Hewlett Packard OmniGo:

    * New! The OmniGo Resource Page (http://www.scc.net/~jonco/omnigo/)
    * New! Adondo's OmniGo Page
    (http://users.bentonrea.com/~adondo/hp/omnigo.htm)
    * New! hp
    omnigo(http://domestic1.sjc.ox.ac.uk/~ahoskins/play/omnigo/)
    * New! OmniGO Commander Home Page (
    http://www.cs.unibo.it/~rossi/oc/ ). As you may guess, you can
    download a DOS-mode for the OmniGo that works very much like
    Norton Commander for MS-DOS.

    4.8.2 Is there a Zoomer FAQ?

    No, but there are several great WWW pages devoted to it:

    * The Zoomer Homepage (http://www.grot.com/zoomer/)
    * The Zoomer Mailing List
    (http://www.grot.com/zoomer/resources.html)
    * The Biostat Zoomer Page
    (http://www.biostat.washington.edu/zoomer.html)
    * Chris De Herrera's Zoomer Page
    (http://members.aol.com/pdcchrisd/)
    * Biostat Zoomer FTP Site
    (ftp://ftp.biostat.washington.edu/pub/zoomer)

    4.9 Geos User Groups

    4.9.1 What Geos User Groups are out there?

    Geos has a following in Europe. For German speaker, visit the NewGEOS
    Informationssysteme at http://www.newgeos.de/.

    For English speakers, user groups in Australia and the US are present. From
    Down Under comes GEIGA, at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~wlogan/geiga.htm. And
    in the US, a good start-off point is GEOS Users International at
    http://members.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html.

    4.10 Geos Mailing Lists

    4.10.1 Are there mailing lists available for Geos?

    The Geos-Talk E-list is on-line. It is maintained by Byron Collins
    (Geos-Talk-owner@yahoogroups.com). The purpose of the list, as written by
    Collins, is as follows:

    "This Group is a forum/e-neighborhood for the users of the
    desktop and handheld devices (The Zoomer PDA's, HP
    OmniGo-100/120, Brother's GeoBook) supporting the Geoworks
    operating system - GEOS; also known as PC/GEOS (New Deal Office,
    Geoworks Ensemble, etc..). General discussions and announcements
    concerning GEOS or PC/GEOS and the applications develope to work
    in the GEOS or PC/GEOS operating system environment is welcome.
    Programming discussing/issues should be carry else where. "

    It is hosted by Yahoo! Groups, a service for creating free mailing lists.
    to the list, send a message to Geos-Talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com, leaving
    the body of the message empty.

    Another mailing list was the GEOS-to-go mailing list, from the Zoomer PDA
    Resources. This focuses on Geos- and GEOS SC-based PDA's such as the Zoomer
    and OmniGo. To subscribe, send a message to majordomo@grot.com with the
    command subscribe geos-to-go in the body of the message.

    Finally there is the OGO mailing list specific to the OmniGo. To subscribe,
    send a message to majordomo@lifelike.com with the command subscribe ogo in
    the body of the message.

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 4
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  2. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Customizing Geos (part 5/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part5
[...]

    * Section 5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European
    languages need the special characters above CHR (127)...
    * Section 5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to
    mess with it?

    * 5 Customizing Geos
    o 5.1 The Standard User Interface
    + 5.1.1 I don't like the interface. Can I customize it?
    + 5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European
    languages need the special characters above CHR (127)...
    + 5.1.3 When I install other fonts, they are displayed in the
    fonts menu in the order they were installed. Is there a way
    to have them in alphabetical order?
    + 5.1.4 I want to make a graphics file into a Geos background.
    How do I do that?
    + 5.1.5 How can I keep the splash screen from showing up?
    o 5.2 The GEOS.INI File
    + 5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to
    mess with it?
    + 5.2.2 Is there an easy way to tweak the GEOS.INI?
    + 5.2.3 How do I associate DOS files with programs?
    + 5.2.4 How do I get rid of drives in GeoManager?
    + 5.2.5 How do I get rid of the link button?
    + 5.2.6 How do I enable the floating keyboard?

    5 Customizing Geos

    5.1 The Standard User Interface

    5.1.1 I don't like the interface. Can I customize it?

    The desktop version offers four levels of interface complexity, and fine
    tuning options within each level, so you can customize each application to
    present you with as few or as many functions as you desire. Look for this
    feature in the Options Menu of applications that support it.

    Geos also supports a Generic/Specific UI concept. This means that
    applications are written for a very powerful dynamically bound object
    oriented generic user interface. At runtime the system 'binds' the Generic
    UI to a Specific UI, and all output is presented through that Specific UI.
    A CUA-based Specific UI surfaced briefly for the desktop version 1.x (it
    was part of America Online's now-defunct Promenade service), but due to
    legal questions, it was voluntarily removed from most FTP sites. Eduquest,
    a division of IBM, released a program called SchoolView that uses Geos 2.01
    with a Presentation Manager (PM) interface and a different file manager
    (WorkPlace Shell), that made it resemble OS/2. It's intended primarily for
    network use and is not available for stand-alone systems. It has since been
    discontinued by IBM.

    The SDK does have the PM interface for testing purposes. Copy PM.GEO to
    your system directory and add the line "specific =3D pm.geo" to the [UI]
    section of your GEOS.INI. Note that, due to UI extensions developed by
    Breadbox and incorporated by NewDeal into the 3.0 kernel, the PM UI can no
    longer be used with NDO Release 3.x.

    With NewDeal Release 3, NewDeal has created an alternative Specific UI. The
    Industry Standard UI (ISUI) is intended to provide a more familiar user
    interface, so users of other software would feel more immediately at home.
    It looks similar to Windows 95/98/ME, with a taskbar that allows easy
    switching between running applications, and the Express menu (bearing the
    NewDeal logo) has been moved to the left of the taskbar and given
    Documents, Help, Run, and Shut Down items. It works in conjunction with the
    new NewDesk file manager. During installation, the user is given a choice
    of user interfaces and file managers. The user can change the UI and file
    manager anytime by selecting "Change UI" from Preferences.

    5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European languages need the
    special characters above CHR(127)...

    Geos has quite a large available character set. For instance, all the
    vowels can be given acute, dieresis, grave, and circumflex accents in both
    upper- and lower-case. You can also use the Spanish =F1 (as in se=F1or),=
    Danish
    =E6, the German =DF (double s), and many other special language characters.=
    You
    also have a choice of various typographical, punctuation, currency, and
    mathematical symbols. These are all documented in the manual, or you can
    bring up a floating keyboard if you are willing to modify your GEOS.INI
    file. With New Deal Office 98 and higher, you can use the Character Map to
    view the entire character set in different fonts. Geoworks produced a
    double-byte character set (DBCS) version based on Unicode in late 1994,
    along with front-end text processors to support Japanese and Korean
    languages. This is known as Geos-J, but unfortunately no products that I
    know of have been developed to use it.

    As of this writing, the euro symbol (it looks like a lower-case c with an =
    =3D
    sign through it), the new monetary standard of 11 states of the European
    Union, is being included as a standard character in Breadbox Ensemble.

    5.1.3 When I install other fonts, they are displayed in the fonts menu in
    the order they were installed. Is there a way to have them in alphabetical
    order?

    The Preferences application in the desktop versions 2.0 and greater allows
    you to select which fonts you wish to have appear in your font menu, and
    their order. Alternatively you can use a disk defragger which sorts files.

    5.1.4 I want to make a graphics file into a Geos background. How do I do
    that?

    Enter Geos and start up GeoDraw or the Scrapbook. Use the Import option (on
    the File menu) to import your file into GeoDraw. Make sure that the
    imported image is selected and then use the Edit menu to either Cut or Copy
    it to the clipboard. Next, start up Preferences and select the Background
    option. Once there, click on the "Get background from clipboard" button,
    give it a name, and your image magically appears as a background.

    5.1.5 How can I keep the splash screen from showing up?

    Steve Main (ndmain@aol.com) writes:

    "You can keep it from showing by:"
    * Use the /LOG parameter when starting NewDeal Office 97, or
    * Use the individual file tool to install LOADERHG.EXE, then rename
    LOADERHG.EXE to LOADER.EXE. This only works if you have a VGA
    monitor.

    5.2 The GEOS.INI File

    5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to mess with it?

    The GEOS.INI file is a plain text file residing in your home Geos
    directory, and it specifies to a large degree how your system behaves.
    Geoworks and NewDeal do not recommend modifying the GEOS.INI file. It's
    generally a bad idea to change your GEOS.INI file unless you know what
    you're doing. However, if you do try to edit it, do it in DOS before you
    load Geos and make a backup copy in case something goes wrong.

    5.2.2 Is there an easy way to tweak the GEOS.INI?

    Yes. There is a utility called GeoCon v2.0 that automatically adjusts your
    GEOS.INI file for you. GeoCon enables you to easily change the color scheme
    and behavior of the Express Menu. Preference 4 Pack also allows you to
    change certain system characteristics. It was added to the desktop in
    NDO98, and was redone as a Preferences module for the most part for Release
    3.

    5.2.3 How do I associate DOS files with programs?

    Kenda Gee (kendagee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca) writes about his ZIP example:

    "The pkunzip is not a problem at all--just use a dosAssociation
    line in your GEOS.INI file and a double-click on your zip
    files...it is a breeze... :-) For pkzipping, there is a way to
    make sure you don't zip up your @DIRNAME.000 and PKZIP.EXE files.
    Create a folder, say "Zipper" in your \DOCUMENT directory... toss
    two files into it--your PKZIP.EXE and another file, called
    PKLIST. In PKLIST, type the files you don't want zipped up each
    time: PKZIP.EXE and DIRNAME.000. Then create a launcher for the
    PKZIP.EXE in your DOSROOM, or WORLD directory, and add the
    following command:

    -X@PKLIST C:\GEOS20\DOCUMENT\ZIPPER\1.ZIP

    "The only shortcoming of this recipe is that you will have to
    rename your output zipped file from 1.ZIP to whatever you want (I
    chose 1.ZIP, so that it will, generally appear on the top left
    hand corner of the \ZIPPER screen, but you could easily call it
    0.ZIP, or whatever you want...). Just make sure you don't
    accidentally delete the PKLIST, or PKZIP.EXE file from your
    \ZIPPER folder.

    "To use the PKZIP, throw your files in the \ZIPPER folder, and
    use the Launcher to zip up your files in that folder."

    5.2.4 How do I get rid of drives in GeoManager?

    This tip works only for Geos 2.x or higher. Add or edit the system section
    of your GEOS.INI file like so:

    [system]

    drive x =3D 0

    where x is the drive you want to make disappear.

    5.2.5 How do I get rid of the link button in GeoManager?

    Lee Bailey (offsite@crl.com) writes:

    "To get rid of the link button in GeoManager, comment out the
    features line in the FileManager section of your GEOS.INI, like
    this:"

    [fileManager]

    ;features =3D 32768

    5.2.6 How do I enable the floating keyboard?

    GWRepMark (gwrepmark@aol.com) writes:

    "In order to use the Floating Keyboard you must insert two lines
    into your INI file: "
    [input]
    noKeyboard =3D true

    [expressMenuControl]
    floatingKeyboard =3D true

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 5
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

+ Reply to Thread