Ensemble & Freedos - GEOS

This is a discussion on Ensemble & Freedos - GEOS ; Hello again, I have problems installing Breadbox Ensemble under Freedos 0.9 The computer complains that the USERDATA\FONT is missing although it exists and I've done a full installation. Anything else I should prepare? Thanks in advance Karsten Schenk...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ensemble & Freedos

  1. Ensemble & Freedos

    Hello again,

    I have problems installing Breadbox Ensemble under Freedos 0.9
    The computer complains that the USERDATA\FONT is missing although it
    exists and
    I've done a full installation. Anything else I should prepare?

    Thanks in advance

    Karsten Schenk


  2. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    I think this error is covered in the FAQs (listed regularely on this
    group).

    While I think that FAQs covers a DOS/Windows problem, solution might be
    similar when using Freedos.

    Peteski


  3. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    Hi,

    You'll have to add this line to your GEOS.INI's [system]-section:
    primaryFSD = ms4.geo
    If this doesn't work, try this line instead:
    primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    (Even though it's called "NT", this driver is for all FAT-formatted
    drives on DOS/windows-versions that aren't 100% DOS-compatible.)

    Jörg
    P.S.: More info can be found in the FAQ...

    Karsten Schenk schrieb:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > I have problems installing Breadbox Ensemble under Freedos 0.9
    > The computer complains that the USERDATA\FONT is missing although it
    > exists and
    > I've done a full installation. Anything else I should prepare?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Karsten Schenk



  4. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    Hi,

    a) CD: Try Microsoft MS-DOS CD-ROM Extensions (MSCDEX) version 2.23
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/MSCDX223.EXE
    or SHSUCDX v3.02 (a replacement for MSCDEX):
    http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/shsucdx/
    or use Novell's CD-Rom-Extensions (e.g. part of Dr-DOS 7.x):
    http://www.drdosprojects.de/index.cgi/download.htm

    b) Take a look at this FAQ:
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/modems/modems.htm
    Or try "Dr. Hardware Sysinfo 9.0d"
    http://www.drhardware.de/download/drhdosd.zip
    Or PC-Doctor for DOS:
    http://www.pc-doctor.com/products/de...t_list_dos.htm
    Or other test-tools:
    http://www.liaokai.com/softw_en/test.htm

    Hope this helps,
    Jörg


  5. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    Karsten Schenk wrote:
    >
    > jpolzfuss@yahoo.de wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You'll have to add this line to your GEOS.INI's [system]-section:
    >> primaryFSD = ms4.geo
    >> If this doesn't work, try this line instead:
    >> primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    >> (Even though it's called "NT", this driver is for all FAT-formatted
    >> drives on DOS/windows-versions that aren't 100% DOS-compatible.)

    >
    > Thanks. That's it. Two other problems came up:
    >
    > a) Is there any CD-driver for Freedos that is compatible with
    > Ensemble. Mine isn't.
    > b) Is there software that is able to tell me where my modem is pulged
    > in? It's built in in the laptop.
    > However I don't know the IRQ-number.
    >
    > Greeting
    >
    > Karsten
    >


    FreeDOS prefers the CD/ROM driver VIDE-CDD from Acer, version 2.14. See

    http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cg...q=incoming/520

    Andreas

  6. Ensemble & Freedos

    * Reply auf eine Mail in COMP.OS.GEOS.MISC (GEOS O/S by Geoworks in general.)

    15 Sep 05 01:12:56, jpolzfuss@yahoo.de schrieb an Karsten Schenk:

    Hallo jpolzfuss@yahoo.de,

    j> J”rg
    j> P.S.: More info can be found in the FAQ...

    Do you know where I can find the *german* GEOS-FAQ..?


    cu, Fred

    E-Mail an fred(at)koerper-hannover.de

  7. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    Hi,

    AFAIK the German FAQ doesn't exist anymore. But you can find a lot of
    hints (in German) here:
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/INDEX01.HTM
    or by clicking onto your Geos-version here:
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/

    Some downloads:
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/download/INFOBASE.ZIP
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/download/D_INFO.ZIP

    I should have a large bindery-book with a "German Geos-FAQ" somewhere,
    too, it was very large (around 7MB - zipped)...

    Jörg


  8. Re: Ensemble & Freedos



    jpolzfuss@yahoo.de wrote:
    >
    >

    Thank to all who have tried to help me. I was very buisy for some time,
    but now I have finished my experiments.
    The modem of my IBM ThinkPad R51 only works with Windows. However
    there is the possibility of accessing an external one with the Docking
    Station.
    Freedos dosn't seem to be ready for Ensemble. Now Ensemble frozes while
    booting.
    I will wait for the next release and run Ensemble from Windows.

    Greetings

    Karsten


  9. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    Hi!

    Have you tried latest version of FreeDOS kernel? NOT the official?
    Look at http://www.fdos.org/kernel/

    Bye, FLo

  10. Re: Ensemble & Freedos



    Florian Xaver wrote:
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > Have you tried latest version of FreeDOS kernel? NOT the official?
    > Look at http://www.fdos.org/kernel/
    >
    > Bye, FLo


    It's not only the kernel bout although the EMM driver.
    Another problem is the CD-ROM driver delaying the boot process for over
    a minute.

    Greetings

    Karsten



  11. Re: Ensemble & Freedos


    "Karsten Schenk" wrote in message
    news:435DEE67.FE28A94C@gmx.net...
    >
    > It's not only the kernel bout although the EMM driver.


    Technically there is an incompatibility within Ensemble, but regardless of
    the ultimate source of the problem, you must use the NOALTBOOT option of
    EMM386 with Ensemble because of the way Ensemble processes the keyboard
    interrupt.

    With the NOALTBOOT option present, and the patch for the USERDATA\FONT error
    made, I have successfully run BreadBox Ensemble here under FreeDOS. I
    occasionally fire Ensemble up with FreeDOS to make sure nothing new is
    broken for HIMEM/EMM386 release tests. In fact, I just now checked and
    things ran fine with the latest HIMEM and EMM386, including ability to
    create and save documents under Writer.

    One other caveat: Ensemble does not like having USBASPI.SYS loaded, at
    least with the test machine, and will do a hard lock-up when the driver is
    present. Consequently, with the test machine I must either boot directly
    from the USB flash/pen drive which holds FreeDOS, or boot from a hard drive
    without having flash drive support (via USBASPI.SYS and DI1000DD.SYS).
    Intermixing a hard drive boot with flash drive support will crash Ensemble
    consistently. This may or may not be true of all USB drivers.



  12. Re: Ensemble & Freedos

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Michael Devore wrote:
    > With the NOALTBOOT option present, and the patch for the USERDATA\FONT error
    > made, I have successfully run BreadBox Ensemble here under FreeDOS. I
    > occasionally fire Ensemble up with FreeDOS to make sure nothing new is
    > broken for HIMEM/EMM386 release tests. In fact, I just now checked and
    > things ran fine with the latest HIMEM and EMM386, including ability to
    > create and save documents under Writer.


    The HIMEM/EMM386 is now really stable. I'm able to use FreeDOS and it
    memory manager running in QEMU while accessing the Windows host files
    with the MSCLIENT loaded !!

    Under QEMU, I need to disable the mouse in GEOS when using HIMEM/EMM386.
    It's the same effect as with CuteMouse. But this could be QEMU's fault

    The HIMEM/EMM386 on a real hardware is complete for my needs, Mr. Devore
    has done a big job.

    So, I know will further invertigate how to configure MSCLIENT using a
    ODI2NDIS shim (ODINSUP or ODIHLP). This could enable us to access the
    host files and browsing the Internet simultanously.

    Greetings

    Andreas
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFDYRn3kyKr2gmercERAvnPAJsH2Xht8kPr1UkwFtMern ehGmjJ5ACgliI5
    ekD4/gtArxxuTPFj3Ads/Jc=
    =Jbj9
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  13. Re: Ensemble & Freedos



    Michael Devore wrote:
    >
    > "Karsten Schenk" wrote in message
    > news:435DEE67.FE28A94C@gmx.net...
    > >
    > > It's not only the kernel bout although the EMM driver.

    >
    > Technically there is an incompatibility within Ensemble, but regardless of
    > the ultimate source of the problem, you must use the NOALTBOOT option of
    > EMM386 with Ensemble because of the way Ensemble processes the keyboard
    > interrupt.
    >
    > With the NOALTBOOT option present, and the patch for the USERDATA\FONT error
    > made, I have successfully run BreadBox Ensemble here under FreeDOS. I
    > occasionally fire Ensemble up with FreeDOS to make sure nothing new is
    > broken for HIMEM/EMM386 release tests. In fact, I just now checked and
    > things ran fine with the latest HIMEM and EMM386, including ability to
    > create and save documents under Writer.
    >
    > One other caveat: Ensemble does not like having USBASPI.SYS loaded, at
    > least with the test machine, and will do a hard lock-up when the driver is
    > present. Consequently, with the test machine I must either boot directly
    > from the USB flash/pen drive which holds FreeDOS, or boot from a hard drive
    > without having flash drive support (via USBASPI.SYS and DI1000DD.SYS).
    > Intermixing a hard drive boot with flash drive support will crash Ensemble
    > consistently. This may or may not be true of all USB drivers.



    Thanks for the information. I do not use the USBASPI driver, but the
    ASPI-Driver for CD-ROM.
    However it may be the same. Where can I get your patch?

    Greetings

    Karsten


  14. I'm back.....

    Hi,

    Finally I am back, and it feels good! Changed provider to get faster access
    and lost my access to usenet newsgroups, as my new provider does not offer
    usenet. But, now I have managed to get external access through my account
    provider, so I am back here.

    Best Regards,
    Hans

  15. Re: I'm back.....

    Welcome back!

    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Finally I am back, and it feels good! Changed provider to get faster access
    > and lost my access to usenet newsgroups, as my new provider does not offer
    > usenet. But, now I have managed to get external access through my account
    > provider, so I am back here.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Hans



  16. Re: I'm back.....

    Thanks!

    BR,
    Hans

    John Howard wrote:
    > Welcome back!
    >
    > Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Finally I am back, and it feels good! Changed provider to get faster

    access
    > > and lost my access to usenet newsgroups, as my new provider does not

    offer
    > > usenet. But, now I have managed to get external access through my account
    > > provider, so I am back here.
    > >
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Hans

    >
    >


+ Reply to Thread