PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me - GEOS

This is a discussion on PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me - GEOS ; I recently received an old WinCE 2.0 device (a Cassiopeia PA-2400U, FWIW) and I'm trying to run some version of GEOS on it. I downloaded PocketDOS (which is supposedly GEOS-compatible; it runs a version of Datalight ROMDOS) and installed it, ...

  1. PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me

    I recently received an old WinCE 2.0 device (a Cassiopeia PA-2400U, FWIW)
    and I'm trying to run some version of GEOS on it. I downloaded PocketDOS
    (which is supposedly GEOS-compatible; it runs a version of Datalight
    ROMDOS) and installed it, but I'm not having much luck getting GEOS to
    run. I've tried PalmConnect, NDO98, NDO 3.2, and NDO2000.

    The trick to getting GEOS to run under PocketDOS, supposedly, is to
    specify fs=msnet.geo in the GEOS.INI file. I've done that, and it does
    get rid of the "No font files found" error. I can actually get NDO 3.2
    started, but when I actually try to *do* anything (e.g., bring up
    Preferences) I get a UI-13 error ('Unable to start the application "PMGR":
    The application could not be found.') When I click on 'OK', the system
    crashes with a UI-02 error ('Could not create state file. DOS or network
    error encountered') followed by a UI-14 ('Operation cannot be completed').
    Then I get bounced back to the DOS prompt with a final message 'Error in
    FileCommit'. Sounds to me like it's still have trouble accessing the
    filesystem.

    I've set files=99 and buffers = 60 in the CONFIG.SYS, in case that's the
    problem, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried adding various
    other file drivers (specifically, ntfat.geo and cdrom.geo), but that just
    causes the system to hang indefinitely.

    So, does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me

    Hello Doug,

    How much available memory those it show?
    Can you "maybe" put PocketDOS in high memory?

    Byron

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > I recently received an old WinCE 2.0 device (a Cassiopeia PA-2400U, FWIW)
    > and I'm trying to run some version of GEOS on it. I downloaded PocketDOS
    > (which is supposedly GEOS-compatible; it runs a version of Datalight
    > ROMDOS) and installed it, but I'm not having much luck getting GEOS to
    > run. I've tried PalmConnect, NDO98, NDO 3.2, and NDO2000.
    >
    > The trick to getting GEOS to run under PocketDOS, supposedly, is to
    > specify fs=msnet.geo in the GEOS.INI file. I've done that, and it does
    > get rid of the "No font files found" error. I can actually get NDO 3.2
    > started, but when I actually try to *do* anything (e.g., bring up
    > Preferences) I get a UI-13 error ('Unable to start the application "PMGR":
    > The application could not be found.') When I click on 'OK', the system
    > crashes with a UI-02 error ('Could not create state file. DOS or network
    > error encountered') followed by a UI-14 ('Operation cannot be completed').
    > Then I get bounced back to the DOS prompt with a final message 'Error in
    > FileCommit'. Sounds to me like it's still have trouble accessing the
    > filesystem.
    >
    > I've set files=99 and buffers = 60 in the CONFIG.SYS, in case that's the
    > problem, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried adding various
    > other file drivers (specifically, ntfat.geo and cdrom.geo), but that just
    > causes the system to hang indefinitely.
    >
    > So, does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  3. Re: PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me

    Hi Doug,

    Do your Geos files have the Read Only attribute set?

    John ;-)

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > I recently received an old WinCE 2.0 device (a Cassiopeia PA-2400U, FWIW)
    > and I'm trying to run some version of GEOS on it. I downloaded PocketDOS
    > (which is supposedly GEOS-compatible; it runs a version of Datalight
    > ROMDOS) and installed it, but I'm not having much luck getting GEOS to
    > run. I've tried PalmConnect, NDO98, NDO 3.2, and NDO2000.
    >
    > The trick to getting GEOS to run under PocketDOS, supposedly, is to
    > specify fs=msnet.geo in the GEOS.INI file. I've done that, and it does
    > get rid of the "No font files found" error. I can actually get NDO 3.2
    > started, but when I actually try to *do* anything (e.g., bring up
    > Preferences) I get a UI-13 error ('Unable to start the application "PMGR":
    > The application could not be found.') When I click on 'OK', the system
    > crashes with a UI-02 error ('Could not create state file. DOS or network
    > error encountered') followed by a UI-14 ('Operation cannot be completed').
    > Then I get bounced back to the DOS prompt with a final message 'Error in
    > FileCommit'. Sounds to me like it's still have trouble accessing the
    > filesystem.
    >
    > I've set files=99 and buffers = 60 in the CONFIG.SYS, in case that's the
    > problem, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried adding various
    > other file drivers (specifically, ntfat.geo and cdrom.geo), but that just
    > causes the system to hang indefinitely.
    >
    > So, does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?

  4. Re: PocketDOS, NDO 3.2, and me

    They shouldn't, but I can double-check that.

    I finally got PalmConnect to load by copying it to the emulated C: drive
    (that's the Compact Flash drive; I had been trying to run it from the
    PCMCIA drive, which is E and I was able to start up the Text Editor, but
    Graffiti refuses to load, and I still can't save anything.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

+ Reply to Thread