win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver - GEOS

This is a discussion on win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver - GEOS ; Running win2k. NDO 3.2a which had always worked fine on this system in win98se. I followed the instructions and special stuff for running in win2k, got the thing working to the point where I could start the setup program. Genertic ...

  1. win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    Running win2k. NDO 3.2a which had always worked fine on this system in
    win98se.

    I followed the instructions and special stuff for running in win2k, got
    the thing working to the point where I could start the setup program.
    Genertic mouse would not work, and the correct selection (Logitech)
    could not find a driver. The thing I had used in 98se had been "win95
    mouse support already installed," but this does not work either (won't
    pass the mouse test). I finished the install with no mouse.

    How to make this work so I have mouse support from win2k?

    And am I really stuck with 800x600? I'm used to double that in 98se.

    I may just dual boot since the 98se version was working fine, but I sure
    would rather it work on w2k.

    Thanks much to those who made it possible to get this far.

    --
    A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

  2. Re: win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    While I can't help with the mouse issue, I'm running Ensamble on
    Win98SE. I originally had 2.0 and upgraded to 2.01. That included new
    256 color SVGA drivers which allow me to run 1024x768 resolution.

    Maybe you could use the Ensemble video drivers in NDO.

    I got the 2.01 upgrade from tvakatter.org.

    Peteski

  3. Re: win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    Hi!

    a) Have you tried the description for the Windows-/Geos-settings e.g.
    from Breadbox or are you trying those extra drivers for "running Geos
    in a windows-window" from TvaKatter?

    b) If you've only changed the settings:

    Mouse:
    Try "no idea" or "DOS mouse driver already installed" or "Windows
    mouse driver already installed".

    Graphic mode:
    I'm sorry, but in most cases the windows-drivers conflict with the
    Geos-ones. Hence you're restricted to one or two video-modes in Geos
    in most cases.

    c) If you've tried those drivers:

    They didn't work for me, but the readme.txt list several limitations
    for the graphic-modes. And you're restricted to use that one
    mouse-driver listed in the readme-file.

    d) You can probably get better results when running Geos in
    combination with the two windows-programs "DOSBox" or "QEmu".

    Jörg

  4. Re: win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    J?rg Polzfu? wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >a) Have you tried the description for the Windows-/Geos-settings e.g.
    >from Breadbox

    The link there,

    Download this file

    returns 404.

    >or are you trying those extra drivers for "running Geos
    >in a windows-window" from TvaKatter?

    I don't se that.

    I got the file from
    http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...eninfo&did=484

    >b) If you've only changed the settings:
    >
    >Mouse:
    >Try "no idea" or "DOS mouse driver already installed" or "Windows
    >mouse driver already installed".

    That's what I tried.

    >d) You can probably get better results when running Geos in
    >combination with the two windows-programs "DOSBox" or "QEmu".

    Hmmmm. Thanks.

    Troubles like this, and the fact that this software continues to be what
    so many people want to run, make me won'der how much trouble could it be
    to actually rewrite it as a windows program, not as a simu-dos rig up?

    --
    A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

  5. Re: win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    Quaestor wrote:

    > The link there,
    >
    > Download this
    > file

    > returns 404.

    RUNNING ENSEMBLE UNDER WINDOWS NT, 2000, XP

    While going through the install process you will be asked if you
    want to change the settings in your AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or
    CONFIG.SYS files. Say "No" to both. You will change your
    CONFIG.NT file in step 5 below.

    1. Right click the shortcut you use to run Ensemble and choose
    Properties from the menu.
    2. On the Shortcut tab, check the Target and Start in
    boxes to make sure they name the drive and folder where
    Ensemble is installed (usually C:\Ensemble).
    3. In XP, on the Compatibility tab set Ensemble to run in
    Windows 95 mode.
    4. Click APPLY.
    5. Using Windows Notepad or a text editor, examine your CONFIG.NT
    file (usually located in C:\WINNT[or WINDOWS]\SYSTEM32).
    It should contain these settings:
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    dos=high, umb
    files=120
    ntcmdprompt
    6. To be able to use your floppy drive (A edit your geos.ini file
    from Windows as follows. In the [system] section add the line:
    drive a = 65535
    This will replace the floppy drive icon with a hard drive icon,
    but at least the drive will be usable.
    7. You may need to make a few changes to your geos.ini file:
    In the [system] section, add the following 5 lines:
    primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    fs = {
    ntfat.geo
    cdrom.geo
    }
    If there is a line such as
    fs = ms4.geo
    place a semicolon at the beginning of that line.

    NOTE: Ensemble will run only in full screen mode, and you may
    need to adjust your Ensemble and/or your Windows screen resolution
    and color depth to match each other. In some cases Ensemble may
    run in only 640x480 16 colors. In some cases users have reported that
    must press the CTRL key either during or after Ensemble shuts down
    to successfully return to Windows XP.

    The above steps will normally get Ensemble running, but you can do some
    additional tweaking.
    1. If you have Windows running at a screen resolution greater than
    800x600, you can run Ensemble in an 800x600 window by downloading
    and installing a package of drivers for Ensemble that is available
    at www.tvakatter.org. Go to the Downloads section, select Utilities
    and look for the "NDO and WinNT" download.
    2. The following article contains additional information on running
    older applications in Windows XP.

    ************************************************** *******************
    September 3, 2002
    Old Apps Find A New Home On Windows XP

    By Brian Proffit

    Microsoft Windows 9x users have been reluctant to move to Windows NT for
    years,
    but around the same time it released Windows XP, Microsoft dropped its
    support
    for Windows 95. Industry insiders speculate that Windows NT 4.0 support
    will be
    the next to go. In effect, options are shrinking for those who want to
    hang on
    to the older OSs.

    The reluctance to upgrade has been based on two factors: heavier hardware
    requirements and poor compatibility with applications not specifically
    written
    for Windows NT.

    The hardware has caught up, to the point that even today's low-end
    systems are
    sufficient for Windows XP. But what about application compatibility?
    Although on
    the surface, Win XP is the Windows version least compatible with its
    predecessors, it has special tools that give Win XP users more options for
    compatibility than ever before. These tools, some obvious and some
    hidden, let
    you tweak the environment so that many older applications will run.

    Running DOS Programs

    DOS programs are the oldest, and since Microsoft dropped the DOS
    Compatibility
    Mode from Windows XP, you might think it dropped support for DOS programs
    altogether. In fact, new options in Windows XP may make running DOS
    programs
    easier.

    Right-click on a DOS program, and select Properties from the pop-up
    menu. Most
    of the tabs in the Properties dialog are familiar, but the Compatibility
    tab is
    new. This tab lets you set the program to run in 256-color mode and at a
    resolution of 640-by-480. You can also disable the default visual themes
    that
    Windows XP imposes on programs.

    There's also a less obvious and more powerful tool. With DOS, you could
    fine-
    tune the environment for your programs by modifying the Config.sys and
    Autoexec.bat files. In some cases, you'd reboot the system with a special
    configuration just for one program and then go back to the normal setup
    to run
    other programs. Windows XP lets you define a customized Config.sys and
    Autoexec.bat for each of your DOS programs.

    Here's how it's done. First, copy the C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt and
    C:\Windows\ System32\Autoexec.nt files to the directory of your DOS
    program,
    then edit them to reflect the configuration you want. Save them with a
    new name.
    Bring up the Properties dialog for the DOS program, move to the Program
    tab, and
    click on the Advanced button.

    Enter the Config and Autoexec filenames you created for the program and
    Windows
    XP will run the program in its own customized environment. This dialog
    also lets
    you try to slow down DOS programs that performed actions based on the clock
    speed of your processor. Programs that ran well on a 50-MHz system can be
    unusable on an 850-MHz system without this emulation.

    Windows Programs Not Designed for XP

    The three main reasons older Windows programs fail under Windows XP are
    that
    they query for a specific Windows version number, they expect results
    that older
    versions of a Windows API call return, and they expect user folders to
    be in a
    different location or format. These problems can be fixed by setting the
    Windows
    program to run in compatibility mode.

    Right-click on a Windows program, and select Properties. If you click on
    the
    Compatibility tab, you will see a drop-down list that lets you set the
    OS best
    suited for this program. Click in the Compatibility mode box, and select
    the
    operating system. Using this mode will activate a set of patches (called
    shims)
    that make Windows XP treat the program as an earlier version of Windows
    would.

    What if you aren't sure which environment to use, or the program has other
    compatibility problems? There is a powerful package hidden on the
    Windows XP CD
    that will help you fine-tune your application environment.

    The Application Compatibility Toolkit

    In the \Support\Tools directory of the Windows XP CD, Microsoft included an
    Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT). An update (Version 2.5) came
    out in
    April, and you can download it from
    www.microsoft.com/windows/appexperience. The
    ACT contains four tools for improving application compatibility.

    Two of the tools, Application Verifier and PageHeap, are designed for
    software
    developers, who use them with a debugger to test areas that might pose
    problems
    under Windows XP. But the other two, QFixApp and Compatibility
    Administrator,
    can help end users tweak the environment so that older apps run
    successfully.

    QFixApp lets you test a number of low-level tweaks on a specific
    application. We
    don't have enough space to discuss each of the 199 applicable fixes, so
    we'll
    cheat and show you a couple of shortcuts to finding the particular shims
    that
    will restore your program.

    Open QFixApp, and select the application you need to work on. Click on the
    Layers tab, and select a layer. The layers in QFixApp correspond to the
    compatibility modes we saw earlier in the application's Properties dialog.
    Select a layer, such as Win95, and then select the Fixes tab. You can
    see that
    the Win95 compatibility mode is a predefined set of 54 shims (Figure 1).
    This
    number can fluctuate, however, depending on whether you've installed the
    latest
    patches and updates.

    >From there, you can tailor the list to add or remove shims. For

    example, if your
    application changes the screen mode and your system is stuck there when the
    program ends, scroll down and try the ForceTemporaryModeChange fix. As you
    select a fix, a description of its function appears in the lower pane.
    Click on
    the Run button to test the effect of the changes on your application.
    When you
    close QFixApp, the environment changes you've made will be stored with the
    executable. Until then, you can select and deselect shims as you wish.

    Browsing Predefined Fixes

    You don't have to search for fixes by trial and error. Microsoft includes a
    number of predefined fixes, and you can browse those for tips.

    Open the Compatibility Administrator tool, and expand System Database |
    Applications. A good start in tweaking your application is to find a
    similar
    program in the database. For example, if you are working with a program
    in the
    102 Dalmatians series, select one of the programs in that series for which
    Microsoft has already defined fixes. Cross-referencing with QFixApp, you
    see
    that the EmulateHeap and EmulateMissingEXE fixes are already included in
    the
    Win95 compatibility mode, but the IgnoreAltTab fix isn't. Try setting
    this shim
    in QFixApp and running your application.

    Note that Windows XP provides predefined fixes for the application's setup
    program as well as the app itself. You can group the fixes associated
    with an
    application into one package.

    Compatibility Administrator becomes even more important in corporate IT
    departments that need to support legacy applications. Once you have
    determined
    which set of fixes is required, click on New and a new database is
    created under
    Custom Databases. With the new database selected, click on Fix to open a
    wizard
    that will guide you through creating an application fix set for this
    database.
    Follow the prompts to choose a compatibility mode, and set the
    additional shims
    you identified during your QFixApp testing. Finally, group related files
    with
    this application. Windows XP will try to find these for you when you
    click on
    Auto-Generate. Use File | Save to save the custom database to an SDB
    file that
    you can send to other computers.

    If you have a number of legacy applications that all require similar
    sets of
    fixes, you can create a new compatibility mode in your custom database.
    With the
    database highlighted, click on Mode. You can name the mode Legacy and
    select the
    set of fixes to be applied when this mode is selected. Once the database
    has
    been saved and installed, you can apply the whole set of fixes to a new app
    simply by selecting the Legacy compatibility mode. To add this mode to
    another
    system, copy the SDB file to the other computer and run Sdbinst.exe to
    install
    it.

    The Windows NT platform earned its reputation for being reluctant to run
    older
    applications. But with the new tools in Windows XP, you have a better
    chance
    than ever of keeping your legacy programs going until they can be updated.

  6. Re: win2k and NDO 3.2a mouse driver

    Hi, Quaestor,

    create a PIF-file for NDO (or use the one that came with NDO). In the
    PIF-file's settings for the mouse: turn off the "Quickedit mode" and
    enable the "Exclusive mode". Then always start NDO via this PIF-file.

    Hope this helps,
    Jörg

    P.S.: Instead of converting Geos into another windows-app: Contact
    Bill Gates and tell him that you don't like the fact that every new
    windows-version becomes less dos-compatible!

+ Reply to Thread