FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation - GEOS

This is a discussion on FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation - GEOS ; Hello all I have successfully tried the 386 optimized kernel from FreeDOS (22. April 2005) from http:// www.fdos.org/kernel/ It works fine with the EMM386 from DRDOS 7.03 ;-) The EMM386 from FreeDOS itself crashes and with it QEMU too I ...

  1. FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation

    Hello all

    I have successfully tried the 386 optimized kernel from FreeDOS (22. April
    2005) from

    http:// www.fdos.org/kernel/

    It works fine with the EMM386 from DRDOS 7.03 ;-)

    The EMM386 from FreeDOS itself crashes and with it QEMU too

    I haven't done any masurement, if GEOS is too a little bit faster. I think,
    it depends on how many DOS calls are used.

    Andreas

  2. Re: FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > I have successfully tried the 386 optimized kernel from FreeDOS (22.

    April
    > 2005) from
    >
    > http:// www.fdos.org/kernel/
    >

    > It works fine with the EMM386 from DRDOS 7.03 ;-)
    >
    > The EMM386 from FreeDOS itself crashes and with it QEMU too

    You must use the NOALTBOOT option with FreeDOS EMM386 for GEOS. GEOS
    is unhappy with the default hook to catch reboots.

  3. Re: FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation

    Thanks to remind me to that. But I'm unable to load ONLY the FreeDOS in
    QEMU without GEOS.

    HIMEM + FDAPM works
    HIMEM + EMM386 works
    HIMEM + EMM386 + FDAPM kills the keyboard input... The Autoexec is terminated,
    but I'm unable to enter anything on the console (COMMAND.COM).

    I tried all versions up to the current ones.

    Andreas

    GoToWebsiteForValidAddress wrote:
    > must use the NOALTBOOT option with FreeDOS EMM386 for GEOS. GEOS
    > is unhappy with the default hook to catch reboots.

  4. Re: FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation

    >Thanks to remind me to that. But I'm unable to load ONLY the FreeDOS
    >in QEMU without GEOS.

    Oh, a QEMU lockup. That one I know because I got it, too. QEMU doesn't
    like CTMOUSE. Try removing CTMOUSE from the drivers in AUTOEXEC.BAT
    and it should boot through okay. Unfortunately, I've never found a
    decent mouse driver substitute for CTMOUSE. Not having a mouse under
    QEMU is admittedly pretty annoying.

  5. Re: FreeDOS Unstable Kernel with 386 optimisation

    I don't use the CTMOUSE. It's the combination of HIMEM, EMM386 and FDAPM
    of FreeDOS where keyboard input get lost under QEMU. Seems to be a general
    PS/2 conflict.

    Andreas

    GoToWebsiteForValidAddress wrote:
    > >Thanks to remind me to that. But I'm unable to load ONLY the FreeDOS
    > >in QEMU without GEOS.

    > Oh, a QEMU lockup. That one I know because I got it, too. QEMU doesn't
    > like CTMOUSE. Try removing CTMOUSE from the drivers in AUTOEXEC.BAT
    > and it should boot through okay. Unfortunately, I've never found a
    > decent mouse driver substitute for CTMOUSE. Not having a mouse under
    > QEMU is admittedly pretty annoying.

+ Reply to Thread