Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter - GEOS

This is a discussion on Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter - GEOS ; As my second foray into NewBasic programming (my first was a simple "Hello World") I've written a touch-typing tutor. I think it's rather good, and you can get it here: http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...cation&sortby= BTH...

  1. Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter

    As my second foray into NewBasic programming (my first was a simple
    "Hello World") I've written a touch-typing tutor. I think it's rather
    good, and you can get it here:

    http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...cation&sortby=

    BTH

  2. Re: Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter

    BT Humble wrote:
    > As my second foray into NewBasic programming (my first was a simple
    > "Hello World") I've written a touch-typing tutor. I think it's rather
    > good, and you can get it here:
    >
    > http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...cation&sortby=
    >

    > BTH

    Very cool. I hope you enjoy NewBasic.

    btw: There are quite a few components from hobbiiests like me or
    Konstantin (though he is a pro :-) ) available facilitating plenty of
    new features (Breadbox ensemble level Stereo 44'100hz Sound,
    Progressbar, expressmenu/startmenu/systray items, tcp/ip, tokendb etc...
    if you are interested write me :-). If you are c programmer i can give
    you sample source for components and tips n tricks.

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  3. Re: Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter

    Dominique Vocat wrote:
    > Very cool. I hope you enjoy NewBasic.

    It has some interesting twists to it. One trap that I fell into was
    that it's case-sensitive (which I don't recall reading about in the
    manual), yet if you set a property on a control which doesn't exist it
    will create a new one. I had a tricky time working out why
    label1.Caption="X" didn't display!

    > btw: There are quite a few components from hobbiiests like me or
    > Konstantin (though he is a pro :-) ) available facilitating plenty of

    > new features (Breadbox ensemble level Stereo 44'100hz Sound,
    > Progressbar, expressmenu/startmenu/systray items, tcp/ip, tokendb

    etc...
    > if you are interested write me :-). If you are c programmer i can

    give
    > you sample source for components and tips n tricks.

    Sounds interesting, although while I'm a "programmer" rather than a
    "language X programmer" I have to admit that I've never much liked C.
    There was a saying that I heard once which went somethign like:

    "C is a programming language that combines all of the speed and power
    of Assembly Language, with all the flexibility and ease of use
    of...Assembly Language." ;-)

    What would I need to get hold of to program in C? Is GEOS still in the
    old Borland C 3.0/second machine for debugging days?

    BTH

  4. Re: Free typing tutor uploaded to Tvakatter

    BT Humble wrote:
    > Dominique Vocat wrote:
    > It has some interesting twists to it. One trap that I fell into was
    > that it's case-sensitive (which I don't recall reading about in the
    > manual), yet if you set a property on a control which doesn't exist it
    > will create a new one. I had a tricky time working out why
    > label1.Caption="X" didn't display!

    Yeah but that is quite fun. I have some educational source somewhere
    where I just add some objects with very little built in properties and
    just add my own properties as needed which makes for a nifty way of
    storing data hierachicaly (which i know no other way using NewBasic)
    things like parsing some XML and creating the accompanying object tree
    and then using the parent/sibling jugling comes to mind :-). Nothing
    finished though (lack of motivation/time)

    > Sounds interesting, although while I'm a "programmer" rather than a
    > "language X programmer" I have to admit that I've never much liked C.

    *g kinda can relate to that. I suck big time at C (or any other
    programming just to be clear :-) )

    > There was a saying that I heard once which went somethign like:
    >
    > "C is a programming language that combines all of the speed and power
    > of Assembly Language, with all the flexibility and ease of use
    > of...Assembly Language." ;-)

    *g

    > What would I need to get hold of to program in C? Is GEOS still in the
    > old Borland C 3.0/second machine for debugging days?

    yep, beside that with NT or better you can do single machine debugging.
    Though I never ever used it. Um, maybe i need to start doing so to
    finally get one of the more complex components on my desk finished?

    > BTH

    Dom
    --
    C:\>