Re: do these people even know about geos??? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: do these people even know about geos??? - GEOS ; That's all very well and good, but don't you think putting a solar-powered electric light in every home first would be a better place to start? At least, that's what myself and a friend are starting to do on a ...

  1. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    That's all very well and good, but don't you think putting a
    solar-powered electric light in every home first would be a better
    place to start?

    At least, that's what myself and a friend are starting to do on a
    remote island of Fiji. We're also setting up a lab of 4 laptops (also
    solar-powered) in the school (~400 children K-10). That's about the
    same proportion as my own school had in the late 1980s, and it's enough
    to make a difference.

    BTH

  2. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    yes i agree.. it's ridiculous to have computers but not lights or
    clean running water or toilets or food, etc..

    but , if somone is still going to try to build these ultra low cost,
    low power consumption/crank powered pcs, should they not be using geos
    rather than linux?

    BT Humble wrote:
    > That's all very well and good, but don't you think putting a
    > solar-powered electric light in every home first would be a better
    > place to start?
    >
    > At least, that's what myself and a friend are starting to do on a
    > remote island of Fiji. We're also setting up a lab of 4 laptops (also
    > solar-powered) in the school (~400 children K-10). That's about the
    > same proportion as my own school had in the late 1980s, and it's enough
    > to make a difference.
    >

    > BTH

  3. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    hyubso wrote:
    > yes i agree.. it's ridiculous to have computers but not lights

    or
    > clean running water or toilets or food, etc..
    >

    > but , if somone is still going to try to build these ultra low cost,

    > low power consumption/crank powered pcs, should they not be using

    geos
    > rather than linux?

    Well... perhaps they're looking at it from the point of view that it's
    much easier to find Linux programmers that Geos ones these days?

    BTH

  4. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    At least form a product design perspective, if you want a low cost
    computer, with low power consumption, well, GEOS is the software that
    should be used..

    How can that "lack of geos programmers" problem be fixed?

    BT Humble wrote:

    > Well... perhaps they're looking at it from the point of view that it's
    > much easier to find Linux programmers that Geos ones these days?
    >

    > BTH

  5. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    hyubso wrote:
    > At least form a product design perspective, if you want a low cost
    > computer, with low power consumption, well, GEOS is the software that

    > should be used..
    >
    > How can that "lack of geos programmers" problem be fixed?

    Perhaps you could contact these folk at MIT, point out the existence of
    GEOS to them, and offer your services?

    BTH

  6. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    I thought of mailing them as a gift the Global PC I bought on EBAY.

    Then they might say, hey, many easy to use apps, internet access, this
    thing is great, and we could cost reduce it significantly!

    But then, the thought fell by the wayside, and i did nothing.

    BT Humble wrote:

    > Perhaps you could contact these folk at MIT, point out the existence of
    > GEOS to them, and offer your services?
    >

    > BTH

  7. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    If they are not yet aware these products existed, maybe breadbox could
    enlighten them on the GlobalPC and GEOBOOK as examples of what can be
    done in low resource/low cost computing.

    BT Humble wrote:

    > Perhaps you could contact these folk at MIT, point out the existence of
    > GEOS to them, and offer your services?
    >

    > BTH

  8. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    Yes, these people know about GEOS. They've known for quite some time now.

    Frank

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > If they are not yet aware these products existed, maybe breadbox could
    > enlighten them on the GlobalPC and GEOBOOK as examples of what can be
    > done in low resource/low cost computing.
    >
    > BT Humble wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps you could contact these folk at MIT, point out the existence of
    > > GEOS to them, and offer your services?
    > >

    > > BTH

  9. Re: do these people even know about geos???

    hyubso wrote:
    > I thought of mailing them as a gift the Global PC I bought on

    EBAY.

    > Then they might say, hey, many easy to use apps, internet access,

    this
    > thing is great, and we could cost reduce it significantly!
    >
    > But then, the thought fell by the wayside, and i did nothing.

    Quite right, too. It's much easier to wait for someone else to do
    something, then criticise their efforts far from their hearing.

    BTH

+ Reply to Thread