Is it time to admit its over? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Is it time to admit its over? - GEOS ; Subject line says it all!...

  1. Is it time to admit its over?

    Subject line says it all!

  2. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >Subject line says it all!

    Hey, I use OS/2 (at home) and OS2200 (at work) as well as PC/GEOS.

    I don't know when to quit in *any* computing context. ;-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Subject line says it all!

    > Hey, I use OS/2 (at home) and OS2200 (at work) as well as PC/GEOS.
    >
    > I don't know when to quit in *any* computing context. ;-)

    Hi Richard,

    Remember the Wankle engine in which Mazda once bet the farm but eventually
    had to admit it was over, and managed to rebound using traditional IC
    designs? Yet, there are still Wankle engines in Mazdas driving down the
    highways. Regardless of the tiny number of defiant Wankle owners and
    curmudgeons out there, its still over for the Wankle engine, regards any
    viable future. Like GEOS, the Wankle engine had several tries but never
    managed to surmount its development problems. Even if it did manage to solve
    its problems, the stigma of having lost miserably really hurt it, forever.

    While generalized analogies always break down under heavy analysis, some of
    it definitely applies to GEOS. You get the picture? It has less to do with
    the scant number of stalwart GEOS survivors, and everything to do with a
    dearth of new users and no future GEOS development. Surely, you can agree
    with that statement.

    Long live the memory of GEOS. Those wonderful days on AOL in the GEOS
    forums. Brian Dougherty, who actually posted messages on AOL, in contrast to
    all the CEOs who championed GEOS development after him. Ahhhh, it was
    sooooooo sweet before the bitter slide downhill. I guess you can say that
    for all the IBM OS/2xxx software, too. So, I have a lot of respect for
    loyalty to lost causes and failed dreams. But being a realist, its important
    to smell the coffee and put things in perspective. My God, we're half way
    through the first decade of the 21st Century!

    Happy Easter and Passover!

    Pat

  4. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:48:48 UTC, "Pat" wrote:

    > Subject line says it all!

    I have a multi-system machine (OS/2-SuSE Linux-Windows) and I still
    use GEOS for some of my regular publications. In Commordore 64/128
    days it was some of the tightest written code ever to pass through a
    processor. The fat-sloppy writers today that need gigahertz machines
    to run their code and gigahertz HardDrives to store it could well
    learn from the developers of GEOS. I will continue to use it because
    it does what I want. It will always be one of my most treasured
    programs and regularly used programs.
    Paul
    --

  5. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Pat,
    why so negative?

    I find GEOS useful and easy to use - so I continue to use it for
    various tasks.

    I also use Current Microsoft Operationg Systems and applications and
    various flavors
    of UNIX (where I use various versions of X based GUIs).

    I find your "failed dream" description silly. It is a tool and I use
    it as a tool. No dreams, no
    hopes. I did wish that GEOS was more successful - but that didn't
    happen. No big deal...

    >From last series of your posts it seems that you are trolling. Good

    luck, as there aren't
    many people viewing this newsgroup anymore.

    Peteski

  6. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    I have used GEOS for a variety of reasons for more years than I care to
    count but there is one main reason I still use it:

    It's fun.

    I fail to see why that should ever bother anybody...

    mboy

  7. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Hi Pat,

    Yes, I admit it: Your time in this newsgroup is over. You're not
    needed here anymore, hence I grant you the permission to move on to
    comp.os.ms-windows.misc.

    Jörg

  8. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Pat wrote:
    > Subject line says it all!

    I would give my front teeth for a Windows write program that was HALF as
    simple, efficient, and easy to use as my Geos one was!! But, sadly it
    just does not want to work with Windows XP for me. ;-Deano

  9. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:48:06 UTC, newpilz@my-deja.com (J?rg Polzfu?)
    wrote:

    > Hi Pat,
    >
    > Yes, I admit it: Your time in this newsgroup is over. You're not
    > needed here anymore, hence I grant you the permission to move on to
    > comp.os.ms-windows.misc.

    lol. You know they won't. Like dogs returning to their own vomit.
    Don't you recall the post,
    they're here to "save" someone from GEOS. They're not worth the time
    to respond to.
    Fill your killfile with their many alias.
    --
    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  10. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >As a neophyte software engineer, working for a computer manufacturer, I
    >heard stories from older engineers about how they had to code for a
    >vacuum tube mainframe computer with reels of tape the size of VW wheels.

    I saw a FASTRAND II drum in action in college.

    *That* was an impressive computer peripheral! :-) Of course, certain
    types of mechanical failure could result in building structural failure,
    but that was part of the fun!

    >Kind of like Orwell's Animal Farm, when the pigs started walking around
    >on their hind legs, mimicking humans, and telling the other animals how
    >wonderful it was walking on two legs. Oooops, another analogy. ROTFL!

    All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  11. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >Remember the Wankle engine in which Mazda once bet the farm but eventually
    >had to admit it was over, and managed to rebound using traditional IC
    >designs?

    One of my paper route customers had a rotary Mazda back in the late
    1970's. Quite a neat car. I also remember seeing various commercials
    on TV about them. A shame -- it seemed like a neat idea. :-)

    >Like GEOS, the Wankle engine had several tries but never managed to
    >surmount its development problems. Even if it did manage to solve its
    >problems, the stigma of having lost miserably really hurt it, forever.

    Yes, as a general purpose solution.

    Since I'm not interested in being a representitive sample of of Joe
    Average Computing, however, the so-called "stigma of losing" doesn't
    impact my decision making so much. PC/GEOS impressed me back in its
    early days, and I still enjoy putzing with it from time to time.

    That's all it takes. :-)

    >Long live the memory of GEOS.

    Absolutely.

    >Ahhhh, it was sooooooo sweet before the bitter slide downhill. I guess
    >you can say that for all the IBM OS/2xxx software, too.

    In some ways, since the 32-bit OS/2 actually had a respectable shot at
    mainstream market success back during its first 3-4 years of life.

    However, OS/2 still does quite well for itself. It's still quite a bit
    of fun to tinker with, and were it not for the silly price IBM is still
    charging, I think it would still have a shot at some desktops.

    >So, I have a lot of respect for loyalty to lost causes and failed dreams.
    >But being a realist, its important to smell the coffee and put things in
    >perspective. My God, we're half way through the first decade of the 21st
    >Century!

    Perhaps I can help there.

    Once upon a time there was a major airline. Instead of trendy Unix or
    Windows-based computing solutions, its main operations center used the
    Macintosh platform as its workstation environment, and most of its core
    flight ops applications were actually running on a Unisys mainframe.

    Yes, a mainframe, I tells ya.

    There's more! :-) Not only was this mainframe platform not mainstream
    (it was a mainframe, after all), and not only wasn't it a True Blue IBM
    system running some variant of MVS or OS/390 or z/OS or whatever it's
    called these days, but that mainframe was running a Unisys environment
    that was very old and deemed "obsolete" by even *Unisys* standards.

    It was a minority platform even in the Unisys 2200-series world, and
    not only was it using a basic-mode TIP environment (instead of HVTIP)
    with real COMPOOL instead of MCB, but the application programs were
    running under an AIS transaction translation layer and still thought
    they were running using FIELDATA COMPOOL headers on a UNIVAC 1108!

    However, the system ran so efficiently on modern Unisys Clearpath IX
    hardware and did its job so well that it still continues on in its core
    production role to this day, processing almost all of the FLIFO, weight
    and balance, ACARS, and gross weights computations for that airline, as
    well as for the other major airline from whence the original code came.

    Some of the code was literally written almost 40 years ago. Literally.
    And yet it still works, and works well.

    PC/GEOS is only what? 13-14 years old? It still has DECADES of good
    life left... :-)

    >Happy Easter and Passover!

    TGIGF. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  12. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Dear Pat (and Bob)...

    Pat: to let the good folks in this newsgroup know of how misinformed you are
    and the rubbish and nonsense that spews from your mouth, the Wankle engine
    is alive and well at Mazda. You should really do your homework and get your
    facts straight before posting what ends up being more lies and
    misinformation. http://www.mazdarx8.co.uk/rotary/default.asp

    Abraham Lincoln once said: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
    than to speak out and remove all doubt." Obviously you've chosen the latter.

    I have had it with your and Bob's false, malicious and slanderous public
    remarks, comments and attacks on our company and our products. You profess
    publicly to know what's going on at Breadbox, yet you know nothing. How
    could you? You've never spoken or communicated with me or any other Breadbox
    personnel in any form or fashion that I am aware of. Yet you continue to
    extol false, misleading, malicious and slanderous misinformation to the
    public. I contend you are costing our company customers and revenue with
    your continual negative public postings to this newsgroup and elsewhere. I
    demand you cease and desist. If not, I assure you, you will both be on the
    receiving end of a lawsuit. And trust me, you can take that to the bank.

    Frank S. Fischer
    President & CEO
    Breadbox Computer Company, LLC
    frank@breadbox.com

    "Pat" wrote in message
    newsth0e.19577$qN3.6074@trndny01...

    > "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    > > spake unto us, saying:
    > >
    > > >Subject line says it all!

    > > Hey, I use OS/2 (at home) and OS2200 (at work) as well as PC/GEOS.
    > >
    > > I don't know when to quit in *any* computing context. ;-)

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Remember the Wankle engine in which Mazda once bet the farm but eventually
    > had to admit it was over, and managed to rebound using traditional IC
    > designs? Yet, there are still Wankle engines in Mazdas driving down the
    > highways. Regardless of the tiny number of defiant Wankle owners and
    > curmudgeons out there, its still over for the Wankle engine, regards any
    > viable future. Like GEOS, the Wankle engine had several tries but never
    > managed to surmount its development problems. Even if it did manage to

    solve
    > its problems, the stigma of having lost miserably really hurt it, forever.
    >
    > While generalized analogies always break down under heavy analysis, some

    of
    > it definitely applies to GEOS. You get the picture? It has less to do with
    > the scant number of stalwart GEOS survivors, and everything to do with a
    > dearth of new users and no future GEOS development. Surely, you can agree
    > with that statement.
    >
    > Long live the memory of GEOS. Those wonderful days on AOL in the GEOS
    > forums. Brian Dougherty, who actually posted messages on AOL, in contrast

    > all the CEOs who championed GEOS development after him. Ahhhh, it was
    > sooooooo sweet before the bitter slide downhill. I guess you can say that
    > for all the IBM OS/2xxx software, too. So, I have a lot of respect for
    > loyalty to lost causes and failed dreams. But being a realist, its

    important
    > to smell the coffee and put things in perspective. My God, we're half way
    > through the first decade of the 21st Century!
    >
    > Happy Easter and Passover!
    >
    > Pat

  13. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    wrote in message
    news:1111631807.101335.5760@l41g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com...

    > I find your "failed dream" description silly. It is a tool and I use
    > it as a tool. No dreams, no
    > hopes. I did wish that GEOS was more successful - but that didn't
    > happen. No big deal...

    GEOS is a failed dream beyond the hardware it was last designed on. We all
    know what that is. Also, the early GEOS implementations were better suited
    for '80s IBM PC and clone. Even though you can run GEOS on many new PCs, it
    doesn't make sense. Its a bastardization, IMHO, to mix GEOS with other
    Operating Systems. Its impure and breaks the canonical model that one should
    uphold.

  14. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    "J?rg Polzfu?" wrote in message
    news:f02d9333.0503240048.1646424c@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Pat,
    >
    > Yes, I admit it: Your time in this newsgroup is over. You're not
    > needed here anymore, hence I grant you the permission to move on to
    > comp.os.ms-windows.misc.
    >
    > Jörg

    I have to laugh at anyone who posts with question marks in their name.

    Considering that I have been a GEOS adopter from 1990, and a participant in
    the AOL forums, and finally the ng, gives me permanent residency. I started
    overly optimistic and end on a sour note, because that's how I see it and
    I'm not going to goose step to the marching flute of the GEOS Nazis!

  15. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    "Deano" wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    > > Subject line says it all!
    > >

    > I would give my front teeth for a Windows write program that was HALF as
    > simple, efficient, and easy to use as my Geos one was!! But, sadly it
    > just does not want to work with Windows XP for me. ;-Deano

    Ever heard of the freedom of choice? Obviously the concept of having more
    than one application that does the same general tasks is too difficult for
    your brain to comprehend!

  16. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    That is a question you should ask Bill Gates...

    Pat wrote:

    > Ever heard of the freedom of choice?

  17. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, hyubso
    spake unto us, saying:

    >That is a question you should ask Bill Gates...

    Bill seems to believe that everyone whould be free to choose whichever
    platform they wish ... just as long as it's Windows. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  18. Re: Is it time to admit its over?

    Hey,
    I'm still fightin'!
    Had to reduce the clock speed of my AMD2600+ to about 1.5GHz to get
    GEOS 2.01
    to work. And I have an HP 890c printer on the way so I can print from
    GEOS.
    It didn't like the HP 712c Windoze printer!

    Not giving up - still plugging away.... As I mentioned earlier in this
    thread, GEOS is not
    the only GUI I use, but I still like it!

    Peteski

+ Reply to Thread