Re: BBX, Were Is The 32-bit GEOS You Promised? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: BBX, Were Is The 32-bit GEOS You Promised? - GEOS ; We used to have a Soap Opera character called "Pat the Rat" in Australia. Here we have "Pat the Troll" but really you guys shouldn't take that literally, do you know how dangerous it is patting a Troll Now Pat, ...

  1. Re: BBX, Were Is The 32-bit GEOS You Promised?

    We used to have a Soap Opera character called "Pat the Rat" in Australia.
    Here we have "Pat the Troll" but really you guys shouldn't take that
    literally, do you know how dangerous it is patting a Troll

    Now Pat, thanks for bringing "Darkness" into the "Light" yet again. MS is
    yet another revenue expansive, control expansive, company, I would rather
    deal with Apple (yes I am desperate). But because of MS's expansiveness
    we are stuck with them. So the only solution is to balance out their
    expansiveness by distributing the revenue and power more evenly with other
    vendors.

    Now for small OS's on PC's, we are really stuck with DOS, GEOS, and that
    32-bit assembler coded OS etc, I wrote about last year. But, in reality,
    Geos has the GUI/OO etc with apps that DOS doesn't and has far more
    support than the assembler coded OS I mentioned. As I discussed recently,
    with third world computer project people, an 386 would run on milliwatts
    of power on the latest chip processes, an 8086 even more. But we can look
    at small devices based on these and even laptops that have tens of hours
    to hundreds of hours battery life (at a fraction of the price). I can say
    that such a laptop would be capable of doing the majority of my portable
    work, and most other people. So Geos has it's place, but does it's owners
    have the ability? And one thing it does lack is modern usability, user
    friendliness (mostly simple stuff based on the way things are controlled
    through the GUI), and Sun/Intent Java plug-in acceptance, and Universal
    driver support (along with Open GL (and the Open controller and sound))
    all available for FREE, if Breadbox wanted to allow them to be tacked onto
    Geos. For the rest, buy a PS2. I would say that Geos running on a PS2 or
    xbox through emulator (that could be converted to the PS2 for free) is
    another option.

    Now your idea for a part of the FAQ with what Geos can and can't do, "how
    long is a piece of string". Maybe you should have said what it does, and
    doesn't include (sorry, you can go to the Breadbox website and read a list
    already, and just assume anything not on the list may not be included).
    As people write programs for it, we can't really say that it won't do
    something that it "could do".

    I would suggest that it is far easier, for you Pat, to write a "Dead OS"
    FAQ, listing Dead OS's and their capabilities and incapabilities. But is
    that too much work, than sitting around here complaining that over people
    get pleasure and use out of their toy, which you can't. So there is the
    challenge, want to take it up, or rack off.

    A bit of "Light" in the "Darkness" Balance partly restored.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:47:04 GMT, Pat wrote:

    > "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.200521632064818800@news.swisso nline.ch...
    >> Oh yes, I don't understand this world and even have no knowledge about

    > things
    >> that are more complicated then use a spoon...
    >>
    >> I don't have time for you to answer this questions. But please, never

    > complains

    > Yes, throw your stone and hide behind your glass house.
    >
    > Why would I expect any fairness from the Swiss, who are neutral on
    > everything, living in their glass houses and throwing stones at the rest

  2. Re: BBX, Were Is The 32-bit GEOS You Promised?

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newspsmv03xgskhyzh5@w...
    > We used to have a Soap Opera character called "Pat the Rat" in Australia.
    > Here we have "Pat the Troll" but really you guys shouldn't take that
    > literally, do you know how dangerous it is patting a Troll

    Jesus Christ. Dragging out the Troll accusations, again. How typical of GNs
    around here. Heil GEOS!!!

    Wayne, you did nothing to advance yourself with the above statement, which
    will stand as an example of what your opinion represents to me. A big ZERO!

    Does your act get better or worse?

    We'll see.

    > Now Pat, thanks for bringing "Darkness" into the "Light" yet again. MS is
    > yet another revenue expansive, control expansive, company, I would rather
    > deal with Apple (yes I am desperate). But because of MS's expansiveness
    > we are stuck with them. So the only solution is to balance out their
    > expansiveness by distributing the revenue and power more evenly with other
    > vendors.

    For the record, there is an alternative OS called LINUX? You don't need DOS
    or Windows to exist on a PC, to use a PC. Many people live with other
    Operating Systems than Windows on their PC. Windows dominates on the PC, but
    its not the only game in town. You can buy a PC with Linux on it, or with no
    OS, and put it on yourself. I'll bet you didn't know that. Maybe its my
    fault for not pointing it out sooner.

    ANALOGY: You can buy a diesel powered car, even though the majority of autos
    IN THE WORLD use gasoline. However, you're not locked in, even though
    gasoline cars dominate, like Windows dominates on PCs. What about Apple not
    allowing another OSs on their Macs? Outrageous of you Apple.

    Go ahead, Wayne, now make allegations that I didn't interpret your rant
    properly. I think your act is wearing thin on me!

    > Now for small OS's on PC's, we are really stuck with DOS, GEOS, and that
    > 32-bit assembler coded OS etc, I wrote about last year.

    OPINION: A small OS is irrelevant if it can't fully use the resources of the
    PC hosting it. Do you understand what I'm saying? Its one thing to use GEOS
    1.0 on an X86 PC or GEOS 2.1 on a 286 or 386, but its another thing if you
    try to use it on a Pentium 4 , for example. Its a matter of fit. That's my
    opinion and it makes sense to me to use the best software for the hardware
    resource its being mated with. I'm talking about the primary control that
    you boot up to.

    ANALOGY: You may have the hottest most efficient engine that operates a tiny
    vehicle, and even though it might have won awards for horsepower and torque,
    its not going to work well in your SUV or Jeep or most normal sized cars
    purchased today. Great engine, bad fit for the object vehicle.

    GEOS may be great for low end, entry level PCs, but its not a good choice to
    be the primary control program (what you boot up to) on a contemporary
    computer.
    I recommend GEOS on the appropriate sized PC, and I'm documented with Google
    on that statement on many occasions.

    > But, in reality,
    > Geos has the GUI/OO etc with apps that DOS doesn't and has far more
    > support than the assembler coded OS I mentioned. As I discussed recently,
    > with third world computer project people, an 386 would run on milliwatts
    > of power on the latest chip processes, an 8086 even more.

    IMO, you just shot yourself in the foot. RISC processors use even less power
    and can run Linux or WinCE, plus others. There goes your idea, up in smoke.
    Everything you say its predicated on GEOS being the best thing in the 21'st
    Century on a small platform. Your just dated, Wayne. You're ideas are old
    and tired.

    > But we can look
    > at small devices based on these and even laptops that have tens of hours
    > to hundreds of hours battery life (at a fraction of the price). I can say
    > that such a laptop would be capable of doing the majority of my portable
    > work, and most other people. So Geos has it's place, but does it's owners
    > have the ability?

    Again, you can incorporate WinCE or Linux far cheaper on such devices than
    GEOS. GEOS is dead (as in no more development). They tried this before with
    Brother and it failed miserably. Wayne, you just shot off your other foot,
    again. How does it feel to be limping around with two bloody feet?

    > And one thing it does lack is modern usability, user
    > friendliness (mostly simple stuff based on the way things are controlled
    > through the GUI), and Sun/Intent Java plug-in acceptance, and Universal
    > driver support (along with Open GL (and the Open controller and sound))
    > all available for FREE, if Breadbox wanted to allow them to be tacked onto
    > Geos. For the rest, buy a PS2. I would say that Geos running on a PS2 or
    > xbox through emulator (that could be converted to the PS2 for free) is
    > another option.

    Geeeeez, will someone from Breadbox tell this guy he's so off base as to be
    demented. Come on BBX, you're NEVER going to give GEOS away for FREE. Isn't
    there documented evidence of that, if someone wants to find it with Google.
    Even if you did, who would want something that would need to be heavily
    re-written, and not the current state of the X86 based GEOS internal code
    base.

    Wayne:

    (1) As it stands, Desktop GEOS is uninteresting because its too one-meg DOS
    oriented to be effective in scaled up applications (eg. no 32-bit).
    (2) If GEOS source were FREE, it would still be uninteresting because it
    would have to be dumped, in whole or in part, and re-written to be
    effective.
    (3) If it needs to be re-written, interested parties could do that without
    having access to the software. It could be done now, because there are
    enough people who could just clone the look and feel, like New Deal did when
    they cloned the Windows look and feel. But they have not done that.

    > Now your idea for a part of the FAQ with what Geos can and can't do, "how
    > long is a piece of string". Maybe you should have said what it does, and
    > doesn't include (sorry, you can go to the Breadbox website and read a list
    > already, and just assume anything not on the list may not be included).
    > As people write programs for it, we can't really say that it won't do
    > something that it "could do".

    Good point. But what if the FAQ included that information. It would be more
    valuable as an accurate FAQ.

    > I would suggest that it is far easier, for you Pat, to write a "Dead OS"
    > FAQ, listing Dead OS's and their capabilities and incapabilities. But is
    > that too much work, than sitting around here complaining that over people
    > get pleasure and use out of their toy, which you can't. So there is the
    > challenge, want to take it up, or rack off.

    Wayne, am I the only person who ever suggested that something be added,
    deleted, or changed to the GEOS FAQ?

    No!

    IMHO, the light you perceive is not reality. You are blowing on the last
    exisitng embers of the GEOS fire, that is really dead, in hopes it will
    re-ignite. You're efforts are noble but foolish.

    > A bit of "Light" in the "Darkness" Balance partly restored.

    Read above statement, about the light. ROTFL!!!

+ Reply to Thread