GeoFile messed up again! - GEOS

This is a discussion on GeoFile messed up again! - GEOS ; Hello all, I've been using Geoworks since early 90s and I still have hard time giving it up... I'm very aware of many bugs in Geos and I had my share of GeoFile crashes in Geos 2.0. I upgraded to ...

  1. GeoFile messed up again!

    Hello all,
    I've been using Geoworks since early 90s and I still have hard time
    giving it up...

    I'm very aware of many bugs in Geos and I had my share of GeoFile
    crashes in
    Geos 2.0. I upgraded to 2.01 hoping that my problems will be over.

    Well, now I see another problem. I'm not sure if the version of Geos
    has anything to do with this or not.

    Well, at least it is not crashing, but it is worse - it is incorrectly
    showing my records! Not good!

    It is a simple database which I've been using for several years. It
    consists of 10 fields per record.
    Some fields are text, some integers. Right now it is little over 300
    records in size.
    Total file size is about 128kbytes. Nothing big...

    I have 2 layouts defined. Single record (for data entry) and a multi
    record for printing.

    Well, in single record, everything is showing up fine.

    But in multi record display (and printing), one of the record fields
    (text - 44 characters max) shows text from the record directly above
    it. And when I
    try to edit that text, it gets all messed up (doesn't let me edit it).

    Again, in single record mode, everything looks fine. I exported the
    database
    to a CSV file and that looks ok too. Something in the multi record
    layout
    gets confused.

    I sorted the data various ways and that particular record field still
    show
    the data from the record directly above it!

    Any ideas on what could this be? I haven't tried to delete that
    record, so I
    don't know if that would fix it. But if single record shows it fine,
    then why
    should I need to recreate it?

    And since I know that this is happening, now I'm beginning to doubt the
    integrity
    of GeoFile. And I really like Geos!

    Thanks in advance,
    Peteski

  2. Re: GeoFile messed up again!

    I have never used a database manager that didn't,
    at some point, if used long enough for a large
    enough databse, corrupt the data.

    If what you described happened to me, I would:
    1. Return to the most recent uncorrupted backup
    of the database and re-enter my most recent
    changes from my backup data entry materials.
    --or--
    2. Export the data to a simple format (.CSV, e.g.),
    inspect it for corruption and then reimport it again.

    Steve

    peteski@my-deja.com wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I've been using Geoworks since early 90s and I still have hard time
    > giving it up...
    >
    > I'm very aware of many bugs in Geos and I had my share of GeoFile
    > crashes in
    > Geos 2.0. I upgraded to 2.01 hoping that my problems will be over.
    >
    > Well, now I see another problem. I'm not sure if the version of Geos
    > has anything to do with this or not.
    >
    > Well, at least it is not crashing, but it is worse - it is incorrectly
    > showing my records! Not good!
    >
    > It is a simple database which I've been using for several years. It
    > consists of 10 fields per record.
    > Some fields are text, some integers. Right now it is little over 300
    > records in size.
    > Total file size is about 128kbytes. Nothing big...
    >
    > I have 2 layouts defined. Single record (for data entry) and a multi
    > record for printing.
    >
    > Well, in single record, everything is showing up fine.
    >
    > But in multi record display (and printing), one of the record fields
    > (text - 44 characters max) shows text from the record directly above
    > it. And when I
    > try to edit that text, it gets all messed up (doesn't let me edit it).
    >
    > Again, in single record mode, everything looks fine. I exported the
    > database
    > to a CSV file and that looks ok too. Something in the multi record
    > layout
    > gets confused.
    >
    > I sorted the data various ways and that particular record field still
    > show
    > the data from the record directly above it!
    >
    > Any ideas on what could this be? I haven't tried to delete that
    > record, so I
    > don't know if that would fix it. But if single record shows it fine,
    > then why
    > should I need to recreate it?
    >
    > And since I know that this is happening, now I'm beginning to doubt the
    > integrity
    > of GeoFile. And I really like Geos!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Peteski

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

  3. Re: GeoFile messed up again!

    Thanks for your input Steve.
    I ended up playing with this over the weekend and it is all fixed
    (although still very odd).

    I didn't think the data was actually corrupted as one of my layouts was
    showing the proper data.
    But, I wasn't 100% sure.

    I do have plenty of backups as I'm prepared for the unstabilities of
    Geos. :-)

    But what I found out didn't make sense either. That field which shows
    up improperly in the
    multi-record layout is a 44 character field. The layout has that field
    defined with plenty of
    extra room (it could easily display 50 character). But as I
    experiomented it became
    obvioius that if I entered more than 41 (not even 44) characters, the
    multi-record
    layout would show the data from the previous record! I was able to
    duplicate the problem.

    Continuing the experiment, I resized the database field size (to 50
    char$)and that made
    no improvments.

    Next (on a whim), I slightly enlarged the size of that field within the
    record. That fixed the
    problem!

    Very strange, but everything works well again....
    Long live Geoworks! :-)

    Peteski

+ Reply to Thread