IMAP? - GEOS

This is a discussion on IMAP? - GEOS ; Would it be possible to get the GEOS mail client to handle IMAP (with SSL) in addition to POP? -- Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened. The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists. doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A ...

  1. IMAP?

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  2. IMAP?

    Doug, since I don't know much about the intricacies of email How would
    an IMAP function be more advantageous than the POP setup that we presently
    have in Geos?
    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > Would it be possible to get the GEOS mail client to handle IMAP (with
    > SSL) in addition to POP?
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  3. Re: IMAP?

    Sure if you could write it. Or do you not know there is no one developing a
    thing for GEOS?

    "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.01.21.15.22.44.91097.10345@osu.edu...
    > Would it be possible to get the GEOS mail client to handle IMAP (with
    > SSL) in addition to POP?
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  4. Re: IMAP?

    A simple search on Google would tell you all you need to know about the
    differences between IMAP and POP.

    "Joseph Durham" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2005121518352131824@news.netex press.net...
    > Doug, since I don't know much about the intricacies of email How would
    > an IMAP function be more advantageous than the POP setup that we
    > presently
    > have in Geos?
    > Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> Would it be possible to get the GEOS mail client to handle IMAP (with
    >> SSL) in addition to POP?
    >> --
    >> Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be
    >> threatened.
    >> The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    >> doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in
    >> Miracles

  5. Re: IMAP?

    As I understand it, with POP, the e-mail client downloads the e-mail from
    the server to your computer (and it may or may not delete it from the
    server at the same time). With IMAP, the e-mail always remains stored on
    the server and is processed (deleted, moved to folders, etc.) on the
    server.

    POP is nifty if you have a relatively small amount of e-mail, read it from
    only one computer, and don't want to (or can't) store a lot of e-mail on
    the server. A disadvantage to POP, at least the way it's implemented in
    NewMail, is that if I download all the messages in my inbox, but elect not
    to delete them from the server, then if I reboot and start up NewMail, it
    tries to download all those messages all over again. FWIW, fetchmail on
    Linux handles this problem by tracking something called UIDLs. The
    fetchmail man page says "UIDL stands for ``unique ID listing'' and is
    described in RFC1725".

    One advantage to IMAP is that if you have a lot of e-mail (at one time I
    had over 2900 pieces of legitimate, non-spam e-mail) then it can take
    quite a while to download all that to your client. It is also nicer if
    you read your mail from several different machines (I do) and have a
    fairly large chunk of disk space allocated to you on the server (I have
    something like 200MB).

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  6. Re: IMAP?

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:33:00 -0500, Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > One advantage to IMAP is that if you have a lot of e-mail (at one time I
    > had over 2900 pieces of legitimate, non-spam e-mail) then it can take
    > quite a while to download all that to your client.

    Sorry, that should read "then POP can take quite a while . . ."

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  7. Re: IMAP?

    Thanks for the explanation of the differences Doug. Now I understand you
    use of mail.

    Tjhere is a way to use your mailbox in the method you describe with http://www.mail2web.com

    You can access your mail without downloading it to your computer. Have
    access to all normal mail functions reading, deleting, etc.

    You can sign on in a secure mode.

    Joe Durham

+ Reply to Thread