PCMCIA Ethernet cards for NDO - GEOS

This is a discussion on PCMCIA Ethernet cards for NDO - GEOS ; Yesterday I had an unusual and pleasant experience -- surfing the web with NDO without it crashing. Haven't had that happen since I switched to broadband. I have tried several different PCMCIA Ethernet cards on my laptop, a 32MB Toshiba ...

  1. PCMCIA Ethernet cards for NDO

    Yesterday I had an unusual and pleasant experience -- surfing the web with
    NDO without it crashing. Haven't had that happen since I switched to
    broadband. I have tried several different PCMCIA Ethernet cards on my
    laptop, a 32MB Toshiba Libretto 70CT running PC DOS 7 and NDO2000, and I
    seem to have finally found one that works well with NDO. (Linux likes it
    as well.)

    The first card I got was a 3Com Etherlink III, running 3C589.com as its
    ODI driver. I could use it for short periods of time with NDO's email and
    newgroup reader, but if I tried much web-surfing, it would quickly crash
    with a KR-07. And if I took too long with the email or the newsgroup, it
    would crash, too. It was essentially a time bomb. My 11-yo son uses it
    now with his ThinkPad, but he's given up on using it with NDO.

    The second one I got was a Megahertz XJ10BT (ODI driver name MHZETH.com).
    I think I was able to use it once with NDO, for about two minutes, before
    NDO crashed. To be honest, there was a problem for a while getting the
    card enabled, and then with getting the port and the IRQ properly
    configured. Even after I was able to do that, though, it still crashes
    regularly, usually before it even loads up my home page (Google).

    So, I finally took a chance on buying another PCMCIA NIC. This last one
    is a SOHOware ND5120-E I bought new on e-bay for $1. It uses NE2000.com
    for its ODI driver. It didn't work at first, but after I ran the nifty
    DOS configure utility that came on the driver disk, I was able to identify
    the proper port and IRQ, and then everybody was happy -- me, the NIC, and
    NDO. Haven't had a single KR-07 since I've been using it. (Granted,
    that's been only about 15 minutes total web-surfing time, but that's
    easily five times as long as I've been able to browse with either of the
    other two cards.) So, if the list of GEOS-compatible hardware is still
    active, I'd like to tentatively add the SOHOware ND5120-E to the list,
    pending further testing. I'm convinced enough that I've already bought
    another one for my son's laptop.

    A couple of other notes:

    (1) I had just about written off using NDO on my laptop because it was so
    slow, and Linux (Slackware 7) was so much faster. Turns out, the hard
    drive for this machine has a notoriously slow seek time. Adding a 10meg
    drive cache (SMARTDRV) cost me about 40k of memory < 1meg, but it speeded
    up *everything* considerably, and the disk isn't churning all the time.
    And now that I can actually access the Internet under NDO, I suspect I'll
    be using the Linux partition much less. If only there were an SSH client
    for NDO, I'd be all set.

    (2) I keep about 7 days' worth of e-mail on the POP server for my work
    account. (Thunderbird, the mail client on my machine at work, deletes
    them from the server after that.) That equates to between 1000 and 2000
    pieces of mail. NewMail cried foul after downloading 400 messages. It
    *did* warn me -- a panel popped up to say that the Inbox was getting full
    -- but then the system locked up. Umm, will this limit be removed in
    future versions of NewMail?

  2. Re: PCMCIA Ethernet cards for NDO

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > (2) I keep about 7 days' worth of e-mail on the POP server for my work
    > account. (Thunderbird, the mail client on my machine at work, deletes
    > them from the server after that.) That equates to between 1000 and 2000
    > pieces of mail. NewMail cried foul after downloading 400 messages. It
    > *did* warn me -- a panel popped up to say that the Inbox was getting full
    > -- but then the system locked up. Umm, will this limit be removed in
    > future versions of NewMail?

    Unless you get Gene motivated again to do GEOS PRogramming i suspect
    there is noone with time at hand and readily available knowledge of the
    source to modify NewMail.

    The issue at hand is AFAIR that NewMail creates a file per mail ina
    afolder. Since DOS or GEOS doesn't like more then 512 files in a folder
    that is more or less the upper limit of mails in a folder. (probably less).

    I am all for either a netscape mailbox style singlefile-for-a-folder or
    unix mailboxfile (duno if they differ) which would evade the problem.
    Plus allow to use netscape use the same mailbox :-). But it never was
    important enough to be implemented among all the other stuff. :-(

    Hope this help and if I am utterly wrong Gene will shurely correct me :-).

    Dominique
    --
    C:\>

  3. Re: PCMCIA Ethernet cards for NDO

    Dominique Vocat wrote:
    > Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> (2) I keep about 7 days' worth of e-mail on the POP server for my work
    >> account. (Thunderbird, the mail client on my machine at work, deletes
    >> them from the server after that.) That equates to between 1000 and 2000
    >> pieces of mail. NewMail cried foul after downloading 400 messages. It
    >> *did* warn me -- a panel popped up to say that the Inbox was getting full
    >> -- but then the system locked up. Umm, will this limit be removed in
    >> future versions of NewMail?

    > Unless you get Gene motivated again to do GEOS PRogramming i suspect
    > there is noone with time at hand and readily available knowledge of the
    > source to modify NewMail.
    >
    > The issue at hand is AFAIR that NewMail creates a file per mail ina
    > afolder. Since DOS or GEOS doesn't like more then 512 files in a folder
    > that is more or less the upper limit of mails in a folder. (probably less).

    I remember i long time ago test Konstantin Meyer "Letter Exchange" to
    newmail and it can fix/move mail to a archive

+ Reply to Thread