Why do you use GEOS? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Why do you use GEOS? - GEOS ; Hi all. I am a new user. I have a notebook that runs on geos, but what I believe to be a very limited version, as the notebook is just a big (old) pda the size of a laptop from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Why do you use GEOS?

  1. Why do you use GEOS?

    Hi all. I am a new user. I have a notebook that runs on geos, but what I believe to be a very limited version, as the notebook is just a big (old) pda the size of a laptop from 1997. Its a brother, and the screen is shot, so I don't use it much, as I need to hook it up to an external monitor. But why do you all use GEOS? I believe you all use it on your desktops...I would like to know, because I may be interested. I currently run Windows 2000, Slackware Linux, and soon Freedos, so I am not new to computers. Thanks for the help!


  2. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    "programsynthesiser"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >But why do you all use GEOS?


    Why not? :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
    WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    I started using it in 1991 due to the ease and power of its Draw package. I
    don't use it nearly as much but I do have hundreds of key files that I still
    use. It is alot more stable than any Windows based OS when launched directly
    from a DOS based boot. I was relieved to have it still operate under Windows
    XP. It's hard to leave behind an old friend.

  4. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Very recent editorial--a plausible set of reasons:

    http://www.computoredge.com/sandiego...on'tdo.htm

    Ray

  5. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    YAWN.

    "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    news:20041212130438.00442.00001542@mb-m17.aol.com...
    > Very recent editorial--a plausible set of reasons:
    >
    > http://www.computoredge.com/sandiego...on'tdo.htm
    >
    > Ray




  6. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    To prove that old PC's (like my XT-compatible) are still viable with the
    right software.



  7. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    I use it on an old HP 486 dx100 notebook PC and is a real asset. Lots
    less probs than with Win3.1 or 95
    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:56:21 +0800, "Raymond Ancog"
    wrote:

    >To prove that old PC's (like my XT-compatible) are still viable with the
    >right software.
    >



  8. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:30:24 -0600, OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:

    Keeps my 486/66 functional.

    Mvh Helene

  9. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Since conveting from my OSBORNE computer to IBM PC's in the early 90's I've got
    all my stock, tax, business data, spreadsheets, forms, phone lists and records
    are stashed away in GEOS and NDO formats.... Or at least they were untill my
    older PC's went south....

    All the old hard drives have been transfered to or copied onto the new
    hardware. I can see that all the files are still there. Accessing them is
    another story.

    I am now using newer desk and laptop computers operating under XP rules..... I
    still haven't quite figured out how to get NDO running under windoze. I would
    jump back to NDO in a minute. Much easier and friendlier than the Bill Gates
    convoluted thinking.

    In my real world I am an avid Adobe Pagemaker and Photoshop user mainly because
    I have to produce work for others.

    In my personal life I managed to avoid most Microsoft products and can do
    everything I need with NDO. I hate to think I may have to convert the file
    structures into MS Office. :-(

    Lets all you NDO advocates encourage the quick release of the new and expanded
    release of the NDO 2005 version...... HOWARD ARE YOU LISTENING???

    Marc

  10. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Personally, GeoWrite is the dealmaker for me. Nothing can handle both
    page layout and word processing with anything like its power and ease
    of use. (I'm not saying it's got everything, of course; I miss some of
    the feel of the newer word processors sometimes, but whenever I fall
    for the "feel" I wind up missing the power of GeoWrite.)

    Plus, as a programmer, I find the whole system very impressive. I know,
    theoretically that doesn't matter, but in practice I like it.

    -Billy


  11. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    wtanksley wrote:
    > Personally, GeoWrite is the dealmaker for me. Nothing can handle both
    > page layout and word processing with anything like its power and ease
    > of use. (I'm not saying it's got everything, of course; I miss some of
    > the feel of the newer word processors sometimes, but whenever I fall
    > for the "feel" I wind up missing the power of GeoWrite.)
    >
    > Plus, as a programmer, I find the whole system very impressive. I know,
    > theoretically that doesn't matter, but in practice I like it.
    >
    > -Billy
    >

    If Breadbox were to even take the time and effort to create a
    reliable install for use with Windows XP, I would still be using Geos.
    For its time, Geos was far better than anything else out there. Too bad
    "other" mediocre software with better marketing (say unfair) won the race.
    Just MHO. ;-Deano

  12. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    I have been using GEOS for 13 years and accumulated quite a few
    documents. Whenever I upgraded to a new pc, instead of trying to
    convert and transfer all the hardware and software I so carefully set
    up, I just kept the old machine running alongside the new one. I have
    a desk with 3 machines stacked on it, all networked and interlinked.

    There is one for plain DOS, one for GEOS and one for Win98SE. They all
    have their uses. It actually gives me quite a kick if I manage to get
    them all busy, e.g. one printing, one burning a CD and one downloading
    something from the Internet. Then I can lean back, grab a newspaper
    and feel like the master watching his servants diligently working
    away. :-)


    Holger

  13. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Yes, I understand this completely. As for everyone else, I liked the
    geos on my pda/laptop that I had because it was so simple and worked so
    well. Kindof like a dos shell but also like linux because of being
    different. I just have no idea if it is the same now.

    Deano wrote:
    > wtanksley wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, GeoWrite is the dealmaker for me. Nothing can handle both
    >> page layout and word processing with anything like its power and ease
    >> of use. (I'm not saying it's got everything, of course; I miss some of
    >> the feel of the newer word processors sometimes, but whenever I fall
    >> for the "feel" I wind up missing the power of GeoWrite.)
    >>
    >> Plus, as a programmer, I find the whole system very impressive. I know,
    >> theoretically that doesn't matter, but in practice I like it.
    >>
    >> -Billy
    >>

    > If Breadbox were to even take the time and effort to create a reliable
    > install for use with Windows XP, I would still be using Geos. For its
    > time, Geos was far better than anything else out there. Too bad "other"
    > mediocre software with better marketing (say unfair) won the race.
    > Just MHO. ;-Deano


  14. Re: Why do you use GEOS?

    Because I really like it (even after almost 15 years!) ...

    As far as "how" it does "what" it does, no other software comes close to
    meeting my standard for satisfaction. Though it lacks the ability do some of
    the things I need, there are workarounds for most of these. I generally prefer
    doing the workarounds to using alternative software. When I must use the
    alternative-ware, GEOS offers a unique ability to coexist side by side with
    many alternatives.

    Ray Washington

+ Reply to Thread