Geos used by AOL back in the day? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Geos used by AOL back in the day? - GEOS ; Was Geos or GeoWorks used by AOL back in the day as their DOS platform? JB...

  1. Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    Was Geos or GeoWorks used by AOL back in the day as their DOS platform?

    JB

  2. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    "JBNyc" wrote in message
    news:54cafd4e.0411231050.22bb398a@posting.google.c om...
    > Was Geos or GeoWorks used by AOL back in the day as their DOS platform?
    >
    > JB

    Yes. AOL also came as a native GEOS app in Ensemble 2.01.

  3. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    public.john@bigwidelogic.com (JBNyc) spake unto us, saying:

    >Was Geos or GeoWorks used by AOL back in the day as their DOS platform?

    Yes. The original "DOS" client for America Online actually used the
    PC/GEOS 1.x runtime, and was technically a PC/GEOS application.

    It had the same Motif-based GUI we all know and love. :-)

    As Bob said, a native PC/GEOS version of the AOL client software was
    also bundled with several versions of Geoworks Ensemble.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  4. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    AOL came bundled on LASER brand computers along with the first released version
    of Geoworks.

    FYI - along with the documentation on my first home computer, a LASER/Pal286,
    there was a card to mail in to join AOL as a "Charter Member". AOL software was
    incorporated into that early version of Geoworks. (The computer also came with
    Prodigy preloaded as a DOS application.) This was in December 1990. I joined
    AOL when I got a free upgrade from Geoworks to the first commercial version in
    May 1991, and, amazingly, they are still honoring my "lifetime" Charter Member
    discount. Wonder how many of us are left here....

    -=>epm<=-

    In matters of truth and justice,
    there is no difference between large and small problems,
    for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
    - Albert Einstein

  5. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    <<...and, amazingly, they are still honoring my "lifetime" Charter Member
    discount. Wonder how many of us are left here... >>

    Ya know -- I never did activate that 'way back when." LOL! Might be worth a
    shot as I too am a "lifetime Charter Member."

    Ray

  6. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    ><<...and, amazingly, they are still honoring my "lifetime" Charter Member
    >discount. Wonder how many of us are left here... >>
    >
    >Ya know -- I never did activate that 'way back when." LOL! Might be worth a
    >shot as I too am a "lifetime Charter Member."
    >
    >Ray

    Yeah, Ray, I think I can vouch for you..[g]

    Just this weekend, I was cleaning up stuff in the basement and found a box of
    5.25 floppies from the GWSMN days....I guess I can save them just in case I
    need them for the old XT in the garage. Or wallpaper....

    -=>epm<=-

    In matters of truth and justice,
    there is no difference between large and small problems,
    for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
    - Albert Einstein

  7. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    I was a charter member on AOL also. But I dropped the service soon as they
    drop the Geos forum on AOL. No more use for me to use them then. Sad that
    they made that decision.

  8. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    evelynmch@aol.com.no.junk (EvelynMcH) spake unto us, saying:

    >amazingly, they are still honoring my "lifetime" Charter Member discount.
    >Wonder how many of us are left here....

    I was an AOL charter member, but I dropped AOL six or seven years ago
    because it stopped being interesting, at least to me.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  9. Re: Geos used by AOL back in the day?

    >I was an AOL charter member, but I dropped AOL six or seven years ago
    >because it stopped being interesting, at least to me.

    I don't really use much of the stuff on it. I just hang in because I've had
    this email address for 13 years, and the thought of all the people I'd have to
    contact if I changed it.....

    Seriously, I wonder if my 1990 "Spot the cat" and "Dollhouse" artwork is still
    out there somewhere...[g]

    -=>epm<=-

    In matters of truth and justice,
    there is no difference between large and small problems,
    for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread