PC/GEOS OS FAQ, General Geos Information (part 1/6) - GEOS

This is a discussion on PC/GEOS OS FAQ, General Geos Information (part 1/6) - GEOS ; Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part1 Posting-Frequency: monthly Last-modified: January 1, 2003 URL: http://www.geocities.com/originalrav...pcgeosfaq1.txt The most recent version of this file can be found at any news.answers archive site. One such site is rtfm.mit.edu, in the /pub/usenet/comp.os.geos.misc subdirectory. The most recent version of the ...

  1. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, General Geos Information (part 1/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part1
    Posting-Frequency: monthly
    Last-modified: January 1, 2003

    The most recent version of this file can be found at any news.answers
    archive site. One such site is rtfm.mit.edu, in the
    /pub/usenet/comp.os.geos.misc subdirectory. The most recent version of the
    FAQ is also available from my home page at
    http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray/geos/faq/ in both HTML and ASCII
    format.

    DISCLAIMER

    I make no claims about the accuracy of this information. Use it at your own
    risk. This file is compiled from various sources, including but not limited
    to USENET, the Web, commercial networks, and electronic mail. The FAQ is
    mostly targeted towards desktop Geos users, both Ensemble and NewDeal
    Office. However, there are still many sections devoted to other topics and
    Geos platforms.

    This information may be freely distributed, in whole or in part, in any
    form, provided that any distributor:

    * Tells me, so that I can inform you of updates to the FAQ and tell the
    USENET community (I will keep the information confidential, if you
    desire)
    * Makes every reasonable effort to keep this information current
    * Releases myself and the rest of USENET from any liability.

    If this file leaves the confines of USENET for any BBS's, web pages, user
    groups, commercial networks, or other networks (FidoNet, GeoHolics Net,
    etc.) or vendors, please let me know so that I can pass along the
    information to others.

    Please send submissions, comments, suggestions, or corrections to
    rayancog@pacific.net.ph.

    CREDITS

    I'd like to give the following folks my thanks:

    * Steve Main (ndmain@aol.com) former Director of Technical Services,
    NewDeal.
    * John Howard (johnh@breadbox.com) of Breadbox Computers, for giving me
    up-to-date info.
    * Stephen Haffly (hafflys@earthlink.net) for reposting this FAQ to
    FidoNet.
    * Lynn Montelauro (GSMLynn@aol.com) for making this FAQ a part of GSMN.
    * Rose Walton PC Coaches (rwcoaching@aol.com,
    http://users.aol.com/rwcoaching/) for distributing copies of this FAQ
    to its customers.
    * Werni Grieder (BaselBasel@aol.com,
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WerniGrieder) for being a
    Geos deity.
    * Doug Taylor (doug-taylor+@osu.edu) for a lot of the PDA information.
    * All the people who have written great Geos software.
    * All the people who mail me information and follow comp.os.geos.misc.
    * And of course, James Bearden, the original author of this FAQ.

    UPDATES

    Since the previous update (February 10, 2002), the following sections have
    been updated:

    * Credits (John Howard's e-mail addresses)
    * Section 1.1.1, What is Geos?
    * Section 1.1.4 What's the difference between Geos, Geoworks, and
    the desktop versions?
    * Section 1.1.5 What is new in Geos v3.0?
    * Section 1.2.1 Where can I get a demo version of the desktop
    version?
    * Section 1.2.2 Does Geos exist in any other language versions than
    English?
    * Section 1.2.3 What fonts are available for Geos?
    * Section 2.1.1, What desktop products are available for Geos?
    * Section 2.2.1, What development products are available for Geos?
    * Section 2.2.2 How can I order development products?
    * Section 2.2.3 What is IZL?
    * Section 2.2.4 What is Geos programming like?
    * Section 2.2.5 Are there any visual development tools for Geos?
    * Section 2.3.1 What shareware available for Geos?
    * Section 2.3.2 Are there any anonymous FTP sites for Geos
    software?
    * Section 2.4.1 Are there any communications programs available for
    Geos?
    * Section 3.1.1 Where can I find more information about running
    Geos with my software and hardware?
    * Section 3.2.1 What versions of DOS are compatible with Geos?
    * Section 3.8.1 Is Geos compatible with Windows NT/2000?
    * Section 4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I
    care?
    * Section 4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?
    * Section 4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?
    * Section 4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?
    * Section 4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?
    * Section 4.9.1, What Geos User Groups are out there?
    * Section 4.10.1, Are there mailing lists for Geos?
    * Section 5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European
    languages need the special characters above CHR (127)...
    * Section 5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to
    mess with it?
    * Section 6.1.2 I installed Geos on my zippy new computer, but it
    won't load up. What's the problem? It dies with a KR-01 error
    (divide by zero).

    * 1 General Geos Information
    o 1.1 Version and Platform Information
    + 1.1.1 What is Geos?
    + 1.1.2 Is Geos a real operating system?
    + 1.1.3 Is Geos an alternative to Windows?
    + 1.1.4 What's the difference between Geos, Geoworks, and the
    desktop versions?
    + 1.1.5 What is new in Geos v3.0?
    + 1.1.6 When did Geos v3.0 debut?
    + 1.1.7 What features does the newer desktop versions include
    that are not present in the older desktop version?
    o 1.2 Miscellaneous Questions
    + 1.2.1 Where can I get a demo version of the desktop version?
    + 1.2.2 Does Geos exist in any other language versions than
    English?
    + 1.2.3 What fonts are available for Geos?
    * 2 Geos Software Information
    o 2.1 Desktop Software Products
    + 2.1.1 What desktop products are available for Geos?
    o 2.2 Geos Development Products
    + 2.2.1 What development products are available for Geos?
    + 2.2.2 How can I order development products?
    + 2.2.3 What is IZL?
    + 2.2.4 What is Geos programming like?
    + 2.2.5 Are there any visual developement tools for Geos?
    o 2.3 Shareware
    + 2.3.1 What shareware available for Geos?
    + 2.3.2 Are there any anonymous FTP sites for Geos software?
    + 2.3.3 Are there any Geos related BBS's?
    + 2.3.4 Are there any DOS programs written for Geos?
    o 2.4 Communications Software
    + 2.4.1 Are there any communications programs available for
    Geos?
    + 2.4.2 Does Geos do TCP/IP?
    * 3 Geos Compatibility Information
    o 3.1 Where to find more compatibility information
    + 3.1.1 Where can I find more information about running Geos
    with my software and hardware?
    o 3.2 DOS Compatibility
    + 3.2.1 What versions of DOS are compatible with Geos?
    o 3.3 DR-DOS
    + 3.3.1 I switched from MS-DOS/PC-DOS to DR-DOS and Geos won't
    load, even after I run SETUP. What am I doing wrong?
    + 3.3.2 Does the desktop version support DR-DOS 6.0
    task-switching?
    + 3.3.3 Can I run Windows 3.1 on DR-DOS?
    + 3.3.4 DR-DOS is kind of old. Are there any updates?
    + 3.3.5 Will ZIP drives work with DR-DOS 6.0?
    o 3.4 Novell DOS
    + 3.4.1 What about the Task Switcher/Multitasker in Novell's
    NW-DOS 7?
    o 3.5 Linux
    + 3.5.1 How can I get Geos to run under Linux?
    o 3.6 Macintosh
    + 3.6.1 How can I get Geos to run on my Macintosh?
    + 3.6.2 How can I exchange files between my Mac and my Geos
    platform?
    + 3.6.3 Will Geos work with a DOS Compatibility Card?
    o 3.7 Network
    + 3.7.1 How can I use one document directory for different
    drives?
    + 3.7.2 Are there any versions of Geos made specifically for
    networks?
    o 3.8 Windows NT/2000
    + 3.7.1 Is Geos compatible with Windows NT/2000?
    o 3.9 HP 200LX and OmniGo 700LX
    + 3.8.1 Will the desktop version run on my Hewlett Packard
    200LX or OmniGo 700LX palmtop computer?
    o 3.10 Iomega Zip Drives
    + 3.9.1 Does the Iomega Zip drive or removable drives work
    with Geos?
    o 3.11 Windows 95/98/Millennium Edition
    + 3.10.1 Can I run Ensemble/ NewDeal under Windows 95/98/ME?
    o 3.12 Y2K Compliance
    + 3.11.1 Is Geos fully Y2K compliant?
    * 4 Where to Get More Information
    o 4.1 On-line Services
    + 4.1.1 What kind of support is there for Geos on CompuServe?
    o 4.2 BBS Networks
    + 4.2.1 Is there much Geos activity on FidoNet?
    o 4.3 USENET Newsgroups
    + 4.3.1 Is there a USENET newsgroup for Geos?
    + 4.3.2 Is it OK to post binaries to comp.os.geos.misc?
    + 4.3.3 I don't have access to comp.binaries.geos at my site.
    How can I get the files posted there?
    o 4.4 GeoInfo Database
    + 4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I care?
    o 4.5 FOD Files
    + 4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?
    o 4.6 Publications
    + 4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?
    o 4.7 The World Wide Web
    + 4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?
    o 4.8 More Zoomer and HP OmniGo Information
    + 4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?
    + 4.8.2 Is there a Zoomer FAQ?
    o 4.9 Geos User Groups
    + 4.9.1 What is the GSMN?
    * 5 Customizing Geos
    o 5.1 The Standard User Interface
    + 5.1.1 I don't like the interface. Can I customize it?
    + 5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European
    languages need the special characters above CHR (127)...
    + 5.1.3 When I install other fonts, they are displayed in the
    fonts menu in the order they were installed. Is there a way
    to have them in alphabetical order?
    + 5.1.4 I want to make a graphics file into a Geos background.
    How do I do that?
    + 5.1.5 How can I keep the splash screen from showing up?
    o 5.2 The GEOS.INI File
    + 5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to
    mess with it?
    + 5.2.2 Is there an easy way to tweak the GEOS.INI?
    + 5.2.3 How do I associate DOS files with programs?
    + 5.2.4 How do I get rid of drives in GeoManager?
    + 5.2.5 How do I get rid of the link button?
    + 5.2.6 How do I enable the floating keyboard?
    * 6 Common Problems
    o 6.1 It's broke!
    + 6.1.1 When I try to start Geos, I get a message saying that
    unable to find /userdata/fonts! What's the problem?
    + 6.1.2 I installed Geos on my zippy new computer, but it
    won't load up. What's the problem? It dies with a KR-01
    error (divide by zero).
    + 6.1.3 I keep getting SHARE or File Lock errors when I run
    Geos. What's going on?
    + 6.1.4 I'm running the desktop version with Stacker
    installed. Drive C is my Stacker volume. For some reason
    GeoManager insists on looking at drive E for the
    /geoworks/world directory, even though when I exit Geos I'm
    on drive C. Any ideas?
    + 6.1.5 I keep having problems with Geos 2.0 and
    DoubleSpace/SuperStor/Stacker. What can I do?

    1 General Geos Information

    1.1 Version and Platform Information

    1.1.1 What is Geos?

    Geos is a 16-bit, graphical operating system from Geoworks that is
    generally platform independent. The most common version runs on top of
    MS-DOS or compatible operating system such as PC DOS, DR-DOS, ROM-DOS,
    OS/2, or Win95/98, and provides a preemptive multitasking, multithreaded,
    object-oriented environment for almost any DOS-based computer. (Note
    though, that other versions of DOS such as FreeDOS, and Multiuser DOS or
    Concurrent DOS do not support Geos, though PTS-DOS apparently supports it.)
    For more modern versions of Geos, an 80286-based computer with at least 2
    Megabytes of memory is strongly recommended. All versions provide built-in
    memory management, virtual (disk) memory, a single imaging model, outline
    font technology, automatic scrolling and scaling, complex graphics
    rendering, and a flexible, scaleable GUI. Version 4.0 is the current
    version of Geos, found in Breadbox Ensemble and its sibling software. Prior
    to this, version 3.x was one of the most widespread releases of Geos, with
    3.0 in the Nokia 9000/9000i/9000il/9110/9110i Communicator, Brother
    GeoBook, NewDeal Office/SchoolSuite/WebSuite Release 3, and 3.1 for the
    GlobalPC (aka GPC) from MyTurn.com (a company that manufactured inexpensive
    PC's), and the envisioned GreenPC from NewDeal. (Both companies are now
    closed. For the rest of this document, I shall use "NewDeal" to refer to
    Office, SchoolSuite, and WebSuite.)

    Geos is also defined by the platform that it is running on. Currently it
    runs on the Apple II, Commodore 64/128, IBM PC compatible, Hewlett Packard
    OmniGo 100 and 120, several Brother desktop publishers, Canon StarWriter
    Pro 5000, Nokia 9000 series and 9110 series Communicators, MyTurn.com's
    GlobalPC and three other DOS-based PDA's collectively referred to as the
    Zoomer. The OmniGo 700LX is not a native Geos platform, and for the rest of
    the FAQ all references to just "OmniGo" refer to the OmniGo 100 or 120. The
    operating system that runs on the Toshiba Genio, Dialo & Camesse Petit,
    Seiko-Epson Locatio, and Mitsubishi Moem-D, is a Japanese version of
    Geos-SC and not a RISC-based version of Geos as earlier reported. The IBM
    PC version, also referred to as the desktop version, started as GeoWorks
    Ensemble 1.0 in November 1990. A copy of Geos 1.2 was also bundled with
    CD-ROM drives from NEC and Sony as part of a package that included a
    Geos-based CD player and several DOS-based programs. The current retail
    version is now a liquidated version of NewDeal Office 2000, available from
    Breadbox. Breadbox also has Breadbox Ensemble 4.x which is even newer, but
    this is available only in multiuser amounts. A detailed account of the
    evolution of desktop Geos is available in my History page at
    http://www.geocities.com/originalrav...os/history.htm. The desktop
    version contains more software than any other Geos package out of the box.
    All other versions are still called Geos.

    This FAQ does not contain any information on the Apple and Commodore
    versions except for the following:

    * Apple GEOS has been discontinued. Berkeley Softworks is no longer
    selling, distributing, or supporting any Apple GEOS products. No other
    information is currently available.
    * Commodore GEOS is available from:
    o Click Here Software
    o Web: http://www.ia4u.net/~maurice/index.htm
    * Some support for Commodore GEOS is available on comp.sys.cbm, and
    CompuServe's CBM Applications forum. James D. Hefner also maintains an
    excellent Commodore GEOS homepage at
    http://www.pernet.net/~james1/cbm_geos/. Bo Zimmerman maintains a
    Commodore GEOS FAQ at http://www.zimmers.net/geos/GEOSFAQ.html.

    1.1.2 Is Geos a real operating system?

    It depends on how you define operating system, but by most standards, it
    certainly is a real operating system. DOS is only used for the file system
    support. Many people consider Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98 and ME to be a real
    operating systems even though they also use DOS for the filing system. Geos
    was the first object-oriented operating system (OOOS) for the PC.

    1.1.3 Is Geos an alternative to Windows?

    Hmm. It won't run Windows applications, but it will provide you with a lot
    of functionality that Windows won't, especially if you have a low-end
    machine (less than a '386, and/or less than 4 megabytes of RAM). You can
    run the desktop version from most other operating systems like Win95/98/ME,
    OS/2, or even Linux, in which case it acts like a sophisticated, integrated
    application suite and environment.

    1.1.4 What's the difference between Geos, Geoworks, and the desktop
    versions?

    Geoworks is the name of the company that created the Geos operating system.
    The company was formerly called Berkeley Softworks, then GeoWorks until
    1994 with the name style change. It is a public company, and Novell,
    Hewlett Packard, Nokia, Ericsson, Toshiba and Amazon.com have made equity
    investments in it. It has moved away from the desktop and refocused on
    wireless communications and services. GlobalPC was purchased by Compu-DAWN,
    which provides Internet and telecommunications services in North America.
    (Compu-DAWN has since renamed itself MyTurn.com. It has now closed down.)
    Geos doesn't stand for anything legally since you can't trademark an
    acronym, but in earlier times it was said to be an acronym for "Graphical
    Environment Operating System." Packaged with each different desktop version
    is a suite of programs that were developed by Geoworks to run under the
    Geos operating system, and has changed names almost every time a new
    version has been released. The more notable names have been Ensemble (v1.0
    - v1.2), GeoWorks Pro (v1.2.8), Quick Start (v1.2.9), Ensemble (v2.0 -
    v2.0.1), NewDeal Office (v2.5+), and Breadbox Ensemble (4.x).

    Quick Start is basically the same as GeoWorks Pro without the Pro (no
    Quattro Pro bundled with it). Many folks run Quick Start on their XT and AT
    compatible machines since it is even less resource intensive than more
    modern versions. Quick Start can sometimes be found at Surplus Software (US
    orders 1-800-753-7877, International 541-386-1375, Web:
    http://www.surplusdirect.com ), or at eBay (http://www.ebay.com). It is no
    longer available from NewDeal.

    Ensemble (v2.01) contained a brand new operating system and applications
    compared to Quick Start, plus a spreadsheet and a flat file database.
    NewDeal is basically Ensemble with bug fixes, renamed applications, and
    some additional new applications. NewDeal does not include Tetris, but some
    users have copied it from earlier versions, or obtained it by installing
    the Ensemble 2.01 upgrade patch and then reinstalling NewDeal.

    1.1.5 What is new in Geos 3.0?

    Currently three devices (Nokia 9000 series & 9110 series Communicator,
    Brother GeoBook, and PC) have different flavors of Geos 3.0. The GlobalPC
    and GreenPC had the newest 3.1 kernel. In general though, all Geos 2.x and
    3.x applications will run on any Geos 3.x based machine. The most exciting
    thing about v3.0 is that a TCP/IP stack has been added to the system, while
    NewWrite has been augmented with fax support . Internet applications like a
    browser, e-mail and chat client software are also bundled. Version 3.0 also
    includes a new user interface called NewUI based on the current Industry
    Standard look and feel.

    The 9000 and 9110 series of Communnicators are no longer being produced by
    Nokia, although support and accessories are still available at
    http://forum.nokia.com. The GlobalPC is likewise not being produced
    anymore.

    All the different distributions of Geos 2000 (which is based on Geos 3.1)
    have in common:

    * a choice between an easy and advanced desktop
    * right-click bubblehelp in NewUI for buttons
    * 256-color icons
    * a full-featured browser, e-mail client, and newsgroup reader
    * security features for kid-friendly web browsing
    * a Design Assistant for guided, step-by-step creation of documents
    * consumer utilites such as an accounting application and simple
    database
    * a viewer for Adobe Acrobat PDF documents (not in the Nokia and Brother
    products)

    In additional, the GlobalPC had the following features:

    * support for TV output (PAL/NTSC)
    * drivers for the Canon BJC-1000/2000 series printers
    * tutorial for learning to use the keyboard, mouse, front panel, and
    basic skills
    * system update wizard
    * add/remove software wizard

    1.1.6 When did Geos 3.0 debut?

    Geos 3.0 has been available for some time. The initial version of v3.0 was
    completed in July of 1995, and the Nokia 9000 Communicator was released in
    September of 1996. The desktop upgrade from NewDeal arrived in January
    1999, and forms the kernel of NewDeal Release 3. The Brother GeoBook came
    with a CD-ROM called BrotherWorks 98, which includes a desktop version of
    Geos v3.0 and many of the same new applications as NDO Release 3.2A. Geos
    3.1 was released in September 2000 with the debut of the GlobalPC.

    1.1.7 What features do the newer desktop versions include that are not
    present in the older desktop version?

    The main feature differences between 1.x and 2.x versions of the desktop
    are:

    * GeoWrite: Text wrapping around pictures, a built-in thesaurus,
    importing from and exporting to WordPerfect, WordStar, MultiMate,
    MS-Word and Xywrite, search-and-replace, and built-in graphic
    capabilities.
    * GeoComm: Hasn't been substantially altered, but at least it doesn't
    crash on the VT-100 change-scroll-region code like the old one did.
    Third-party communications applications are now becoming available.
    * GeoFile: New forms-based graphical database with import-export
    functionality and built-in text, graphic, and spreadsheet
    capabilities.
    * GeoCalc: New graphical spreadsheet with import-export functionality
    and built-in text, graphic, and database capabilities. The worksheets
    have been debugged and are now usable.
    * Calculator: New math functions and multiple memory registers.
    Metric/Imperial conversion functions are also included.
    * GeoDraw: Now has a whole range of import/export filters (PCX, TIFF,
    GIF, MAC, PICT, and Windows clipboard formats). It allows conversion
    between bitmaps and graphic object, editing of bitmaps, advanced
    object manipulation, polycurves, skewing, and much more, and also has
    full text capabilities.
    * Spell Checker: Now operates across all text applications, and multiple
    dictionaries are available for American English and British English. A
    thesaurus has been added, which is also available system-wide.
    * Text File Editor: New text file editor, allowing multiple documents to
    be open simultaneously, plus spell-checking and thesaurus
    capabilities.

    NOTE: See section 1.1.5 for differences between 2.x and 3.x versions of
    Geos. Basically, 2.x software will run on 3.x platforms, and 3.x platforms
    have much better communications and Internet capability. Also, starting
    with version 2.5 of the desktop, all GeoWhatever programs have been renamed
    NewWhatever.

    1.2 Miscellaneous Questions

    1.2.1 Where can I get a demo version of the desktop version?

    NewDeal had an evaluation version of NDO Release 3.2A available from its
    website that has a 45-day time lock before expiring. Before, it also made
    made a shareware version (v2.5) available, and a previous shareware version
    (v2.0) called GeoPublish was created by Geoworks. The latter two are
    available on major on-line services as well as FTP sites that have Geos
    content. Both earlier versions include the bare minimum number of files
    necessary to run GeoManager (aka NewManager, a file manager) and a slightly
    crippled version of GeoWrite (aka NewWrite, a word processor). The most
    notable side effects of this are that the shareware versions have no spell
    checking, thesaurus, or import/export filters. Also, most Geos shareware
    will not run on the shareware versions. However, some functionality and
    programs like Tetris and the AOL client can installed by applying the 2.01
    patch If this is applied to the NewDeal shareware version, you must then
    reinstall it. The new evaluation version had all the applications but lacks
    the import/export filters.

    There was also a demo version of the GlobalPC software. This does not save
    or print, and the tutorial is limited to basic mouse lessons.

    Breadbox Ensemble Lite is available at
    http://www.breadbox.com/downloads.asp. This version is a limited version
    of Breadbox Ensemble. Breadbox has removed
    many applications and some functionality, but it will provide you with a
    good feel for the full working version.

    1.2.2 Does Geos exist in any other language versions than English?

    NewDeal Office 98 is available in English and French versions. A German
    version is almost done and a Spanish version is expected soon. Each of
    these versions comes with drivers for other language keyboards, so if you
    can speak one of these languages, you can probably use the software with
    little difficulty. The Geos found in the Nokia 9000/9110 cellphones
    supports more European languages.

    1.2.3 What fonts are available for Geos?

    All DOS-based versions of Geos can use the same fonts. A wide variety of
    fonts are also available via FTP, networks, and supporting BBS's.

    Terri Ferrier sells a collection of over 3400 Geos fonts, over 7500 clip
    art images, and over 250 Geos programs. The CD along with a printed catalog
    of font examples costs $35 for US orders, $45 for foreign orders and can be
    found at:

    * Terri Ferrier
    P. O. Box 5516
    Victoria, TX 77903
    Phone: 512-575-6243
    Email: tferrier@viptx.net
    Web: http://home.viptx.net/~tferrier

    Other font CD's are also sold by:

    * Fantazia Concepts, Inc.
    PO Box 5142
    Willowick, OH 44095

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 1

    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  2. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Geos Software Information (part 2/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part2
[...]

    Some companies and individuals that sell Geos desktop software. The most
    notable is Breadbox Computer, but there are others. Not only does this list
    keep changing, but the products offered by these companies and the places
    and means to buy them continue to change.

    Breadbox Computer announced in a press release on January 24, 2002 that it
    has signed a worldwide non-exclusive licensing agreement with Geoworks to
    license Geos operating system for use on any and all hardware platforms and
    devices. It also now markets NewDeal Office 2000. It can be reached at:

    Breadbox Computer
    PO Box 808
    Port Richey, FL 34673-0808x
    Tel/Fax (813) 847-6996
    E-mail: info@breadbox.com
    Web: http://www.breadbox.com

    2.2 Geos Development Products

    2.2.1 What development products are available for Geos?

    Geoworks wrote several SDK's as Geos evolved. Version 2.0 supported the
    desktop, Zoomer, and Sharp PT-9000 (a preview of a pen-based tablet
    PC/PDA). Version 2.1 emulated the HP OmniGo 100/120. With the release of
    the Nokia 9000, Geoworks created three versions of the Communicator SDK: a
    DOS-based 9000 version, a DOS-based 9000i version (for the GSM model), and
    an NT-based 9000i version. The latest version is an NT-based 9110 SDK. The
    SDK's require Borland C/C++ 3.1 or higher (version 4.5 for the 9110 SDK).
    Geoworks transfered the 2.x SDK's to NewDeal, and has discontinued the 9000
    SDK's. The 9000i SDK is included in the 9110 SDK CD-ROM, though. The 9110
    SDK was marketed by Nokia. NewDeal sold off the 2.x SDK's. MyTurn started a
    developer's program for those who wished to code applications for its
    GlobalPC, which is now closed.

    Geoworks Bindery is an application for creating electronic "books" that can
    be read by a Book Reader on NDO or the OmniGo. It functions very much like
    Adobe Acrobat or Corel (formerly WordPerfect, then Novell) Envoy, only it
    is available exclusively on the Geos platform. As with the 2.x SDK's,
    Geoworks has transfered the Bindery to NewDeal.

    * Geoworks Bindery - Electronic publishing tool
    (http://www.newdealinc.com/devrel/)

    2.2.2 How can I order development products?

    The NDO 2000 / GPC SDK is available for download at Gene Anderson's
    website, www.tvakatter.org.

    2.2.3 What is IZL?

    John Feras' (jferas@netaxs.com) Feras Information Technologies has written
    an easy to use, powerful Geos scripting language with which you can write
    entire Geos applications. IZL is available in the desktop version, Zoomer,
    and OmniGo flavors. The files and documents, including an OmniGo IZL FAQ,
    can be found at Geos maven Holger Laux's website,
    http://my.genie.co.uk/holger.laux/izl/.

    2.2.4 What is Geos programming like?

    While this topic is broad, this section will be brief since there is
    another entire FAQ devoted to it available elsewhere. For serious Geos
    programming you need to get a Geos SDK that is tailored to the Geos
    platform that you want to write software for. However, you can probably get
    by with one SDK, hopefully the latest, as long as you don't try to take
    advantage of any unique features of your platform. The main point to using
    the 2.x SDK is that it is DOS-based, although a multitasking environment is
    recommended for task switching. A second computer is required to use the
    debugger, and unless you like programming in assembly, you have to use a
    Borland compiler. However, an NT-based SDK for available for the Nokia
    9000i & 9110 and the GlobalPC, allows for single-machine debugging. The
    main support for Geos development is the usenet newsgroup
    comp.os.geos.programmer.

    2.2.5 Are there any visual development tools for Geos?

    Yes. NewDeal released NewBASIC over three years ago. It has an easy-to-use
    syntax, and is marketed much as Visual Basic is for Windows. Gene Anderson
    also makes this available at www.tvakatter.org.

    2.3 Shareware

    2.3.1 Is there any shareware available for Geos?

    The list of Geos shareware is large and growing. Go to www.tvakatter.org to
    get an idea of what is available.

    2.3.2 Are there any anonymous FTP sites for Geos software?

    For a more complete listing of Geos related FTP sites, check out
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...den/gfiles.htm.

    2.3.3 Are there any Geos related BBS's?

    The following BBS's are the only ones I know that have Geos related
    content:

    * The Police Academy (49-611-1860516) in Germany
    * G-OS BBS ((03) 9803 6498) in Australia
    * GeoZ Online Services - Home of GeoNet (03)9803-6498 (222:222/0)
    * Ground Zero BBS, Ipswich, Queenslamd, Australia (07) 3812-0812
    Fidonet: 3:640/812.4 Sysop: Frank Moran.
    Current GeoNet main hub. Has Fidonet Geoworks echo, selection
    of Geoworks files for versions 1.x.x and 2.xx.
    * Past the Black Stump, Laidley, Queensland, Australia (074) 65-6667
    Fidonet: 3:640/404 Sysop: Rhondda Cook.
    Member GeoNet. Geoworks echo and selection of Geoworks files.
    * Lake Cathie BBS, Lake Cathie, New South Wales, Australia (065) 86-3067

    Fidonet: 3:711/475 Sysop: Glenn Pickford.
    Member GeoNet. Geoworks echo and selection of Geoworks files.
    Glenn is an Ensemble 2.01 user.

    2.3.4 Are there any DOS programs written for Geos?

    Here's a list of DOS apps for Geos.

    * PicLab V1.83 - Excellent for converting graphics to 16 color. Later
    versions aren't as good at this
    * BKGD2PCX - Converts PCX files to Geos backgrounds
    * IconMake - Converts PCX files and Windows icons to Geos icons
    * GeoDir - Lists the full Geos filenames at the DOS prompt
    * EdFolder - Allows you to change the folder icons
    * GeoKermit - An excellent general communications package

    2.4 Communications Software

    2.4.1 Are there any communications programs available for Geos?

    For the desktop version there is GeoComm (aka NewComm), AOL, and CompuServe
    software. Hwoever, AOL can no longer be accessed from a Geos client, since
    AOL is no longer available from Sprint dial-up's. For the Zoomer there is
    ZCommLite, AOL, and CompuServe software. For the OmniGo there is CompuServe
    and OmniCom. The CompuServe software, CIM4GEOS, requires a patch for it to
    work correctly for the desktop and the OmniGo. There are also several more
    shareware Zoomer and OmniGo communications programs and connectivity packs
    that work more or less on all Geos platforms. A variety of file transfer
    software is available for a variety of platforms (including UNIX and
    Macintosh), and there are also several communications programs under
    development. As far as the Internet is concerned, two browsers are
    available. GeoBrowser is included in the GeoBook and BrotherWorks for the
    desktop. A version named NewBrowser was available as part of a beta testing
    program of NDOr3. Breadbox developed Skipper and Skipper Pro for NDOr3.
    Future versions will support SSL and cookies. Breadbox also wrote the
    Meeting Room IRC client software for the GeoBook and NDO. A more advanced
    IRC app, WebChat, has been released, along with a newsreader and NewMail.

    Breadbox Ensemble has a full set of internet apps including: WebMagick
    (browser), IRC Chat, Email, FTP, Instant Messenger (compatible with AIM)
    and NewsReader.

    The Nokia 9000 and 9110 Communicators were originally bundled with
    Windows-based software that allowed them to synch with PC's via cable or
    infrared, The synchronization software is called Nokia Communicator Server.
    Breadbox wrote a similar, Geos-based software called Geoserver.

    2.4.2 Does Geos do TCP/IP?

    With version 3.x, it does. A BYTE article (1995) reported that the TCP/IP
    stack is derived from BSD Unix. Version 3.x includes much better
    communications support, bug fixes, and new features like the system
    mailbox.

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 2
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  3. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Geos Compatibility Information (part 3/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part3
    Posting-Frequency: monthly
    Last-modified: January 3, 2003

[...]

    o 3.9 HP 200LX and OmniGo 700
    + 3.9.1 Will the desktop version run on my Hewlett Packard
    200-LX or OmniGo 700 palmtop computer?
    o 3.10 Iomega Zip Drives
    + 3.10.1 Does the Iomega Zip drive or removable drives work
    with Geos?
    o 3.11 Windows 95/98/Millennium Edition
    + 3.11.1 Can I run Ensemble/ NewDeal under Windows 95/98?
    o 3.12 Y2K Compliance
    + 3.12.1 Is Geos fully Y2K compliant?

    3 Geos Compatibility Information

    3.1 Where to find more compatibility information

    3.1.1 Where can I find more information about running Geos with my software
    and hardware?

    The GeoInfo database is an excellent source of compatibility information.
    You may need to do a bit of searching to find it, since as of this writing
    I haven't accessed it in years.

    3.2 DOS Compatibility

    3.2.1 What versions of DOS are compatible with Geos?

    Geos will run on the following DOS'es:

    * MS-DOS 3.x or higher (including Win9x MS-DOS mode); see below
    * Windows 9x/ME DOS window; see below
    * PC DOS 3.x or higher
    * OS/2 DOS window
    * Windows NT/2000 DOS window (NDO 98 and higher only); see below
    * DR DOS 5.0 or higher (including Novell DOS 7.0)
    * Datalight ROM-DOS 6.22 (used in several PDA's and the Nokia 9000)
    * PTS-DOS
    * FreeDOS (latest beta only)
    * General Software Embedded DOS-ROM (used in the Nokia 9110)
    * PocketDOS for Windows CE and Psion EPOC32 units (CGA display only);
    this is now a discontinued product
    * XT-CE with CEDOS for WinCE (CGA display only)

    It will not run on the following DOS'es:

    * multiuser DOS'es, such as DR Multiuser DOS, Concurrent DOS, Real/32
    * PC-MOS

    3.3 DR-DOS

    3.3.1 I switched from MS-DOS/PC DOS to DR-DOS and Geos won't load, even
    after I run SETUP. What am I doing wrong?

    Make sure that you have FILES=3D120 or more for DR-DOS 6.0. Novell DOS 7.0=
    as
    well as higher versions of DR-DOS need only FILES=3D30.

    3.3.2 Does the desktop version support DR-DOS 6.0 task-switching?

    The desktop versions currently supports the task-switching of DR-DOS 6.0
    TaskMax and Novell DOS 7.0 & DR-DOS 7.x Task Manager. Dormant tasks will
    appear in the Express Menu to be picked. Switching is nearly instantaneous.

    3.3.3 Can I run Windows 3.1 on DR-DOS?

    Pensey (pensey@bigfoot.com) says:

    "Windows 3.1 can be installed on DR-DOS, but you will need the DR-DOS
    upgrade patches. Also, don't let Windows modify your CONFIG.SYS and
    AUTOEXEC.BAT. Do it yourself. Otherwise it will try and put in
    HIMEM.SYS, change your EMM386.SYS and add SMARTDRV."

    3.3.4 DR-DOS is kind of old. Are there any updates?

    Yes. Caldera purchased DR-DOS and the rest of the Digital Research
    technology from Novell. The current versions, 7.03, can be found at
    http://www.lineo.com/, the website of its Lineo subsidiary.

    3.3.4 Will ZIP drives work with DR-DOS 6.0?

    Pensey (pensey@bigfoot.com) says:

    "Nope! Try Novell DOS 7.0. Patches are also available for Novell
    DOS. The newer versions of Caldera's DR-DOS include all the
    patches."

    3.4 Novell DOS

    3.4.1 What about the Task Switcher/Multitasker in Novell's NW-DOS 7?

    Novell DOS has been purchased by Caldera (http://www.lineo.com) and renamed
    back to DR-DOS. The Multitasker and Geos don't work together at all on most
    systems, although a few people have had good luck with it. You can get the
    task switcher to work with Geos by making sure that it uses the correct key
    combination (Ctrl-Esc). Select the DR-DOS TaskMax switcher in Geos
    preferences and it should work, although cutting and pasting between DOS
    and Geos will not work.

    3.5 Linux

    3.5.1 How can I get Geos to run under Linux?

    Obtain and figure out the shareware DOS emulator DosEmu. Michael Hirsch
    (hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu) writes:

    "Geos can run quite well under the Linux DOS emulator but you
    need to set up the /etc/dosemu.conf file correctly. The important
    thing is that DOSEMU must have full partition access (or even
    full disk access) to whatever partition contains Geos. You can't
    give partition access to a mounted partition, so you may have to
    unmount the DOS partition before running DOSEMU. Of course, you
    could write a script that does this automatically."

    Ross J. Reedstrom (ross@repressor.pharmacy.wisc.edu) writes:

    "I got Geos to recognize my lredired \\linux\dos drive as drive
    C: and start up off of it. This allows me to leave my DOS
    partition mounted, and access files safely from both Geos and
    Linux. I can even access all my Linux files (with mangled names,
    however, if they're not 8.3). The trick was to grep though my SDK
    documentation and discover the msnet.geo file system driver, and
    how to force Geos to recognize a net drive. The key is the
    following lines in GEOS.INI:

    [system]

    fs =3D {
    msnet.geo
    cdrom.geo
    }

    "According to the SDK documentation, this section loads
    'secondary file system drivers' if they are not automatically
    recognized properly. I load both the msnet.geo, described as
    being for generic drive redirectors, and the cdrom.geo, for
    mscdex CD-ROM access, of course, since I have a CD-ROM and use
    the DOSEMU CD-ROM driver."

    3.6 Macintosh

    3.6.1 How can I get Geos to run on my Macintosh?

    Some folks tried running Geos on a Macintosh using SoftPC, a DOS emulation
    program, and SoftWindows, a Windows emulator. (Insignia Solutions, the
    creator of SoftPC and SoftWindows, has since sold its emulation software to
    FWB Software.) Another FWB emulator, RealPC goes one step further by
    emulating an entire PC. Two other PC emulators are BlueLabel Power Emulator
    and VirtualPC. William Ove reports that Geos runs successfully on the FWB
    and BlueLabel emulators.

    3.6.2 How can I exchange files between my Mac and my Geos platform?

    Creative Digital Publishing has released a shareware program called
    MacPCCOM=99 available at:

    * Creative Digital's Newton vendor forum on CompuServe - GO
    NEWTVENS
    * Max Mansour's OmniGo page:
    http://www.ziplink.net/~maxm/omnigo/utilities.html
    * American Online (Computing/PDAs/New Files and Free Uploading)

    Look for the Stuffit archive MacPCCOM.sit.

    MacPCCOM lets Macintosh users upload and download files to and from Geos
    devices, like the HP OmniGo and the Casio Zoomer, and navigate the Geos
    file system from the Mac. It requires a serial cable connecting the Geos
    device to the Mac's modem port.

    MacPCCOM has been tested with an OmniGo and a Centris 610 running System
    7.3d0. Although it should work with other Macs, Mac OS versions, and Geos
    devices, it has not been tested on other configurations.

    3.6.3 Will Geos work with a DOS Compatibility Card?

    Edward Di Geronimo Jr. (edwdig@bergen.gov) reports success getting this to
    work , once he set the mouse to PS/2.

    3.7 Network

    3.7.1 How can I use one document directory for different drives?

    Pensey (pensey@bigfoot.com) says:

    "You can change the default document directory Geoworks uses for
    one directory for all copies of Geoworks running to keep a common
    pool of letters or databases etc. Set up an identical directory
    structure on the server where you want to store documents and add
    a paths section to GEOS.INI

    [paths]
    top =3D n:\geos20 (where n: is the network drive)

    "Alternatively specify an additional document directory:

    [paths]
    document =3D n:\docs

    "Geos will add the two directories together. Documents on the
    network drive will appear with their names underlined."

    Note that this is only for Geos 2.0 or higher; it doesn't work with Geos
    1.x.

    3.7.2 Are there any versions of Geos made specifically for networks?

    NewDeal offers a network version that can be run from the network server.
    Novell, LANtastic, and LanManager networks are officially supported and
    reports from the field indicate that Windows NT/2000 and Windows 95/98/ME
    also work, along with many lesser-known networks. The stand-alone version
    of NewDeal is network aware and will recognize and interact with drives and
    printers on most networks. SchoolView was written to support Novell
    NetWare.

    3.8 Windows NT/2000

    3.8.1 Is Geos compatible with Windows NT/2000?

    With a bit of tinkering, Geos 3.0 runs under Windows NT/2000. Two versions
    of the Nokia SDK also come with versions of Geos 3.0 that require Windows
    NT/2000 to run. Check out the latest on Geos in WinNT/2000/XP at
    ftp.breadbox.com. Look for the document named "geos in NT.txt".

    3.9 HP 200LX and OmniGo 700LX

    3.9.1 Will the desktop version run on my Hewlett Packard 200LX or OmniGo
    700LX palmtop computer?

    Yes, people have reported good performance running the desktop version on
    these computers. However, there are some problems. First of all this
    requires a flash disk. Geos is a GUI OS, so a mouse is highly recommended.
    The ALPS Glidepoint has been reported to work with these computers and
    Geos. Perhaps the worst problem running Geos on these computers is that
    Geos takes over the keyboard and prevents the use of the suspend feature
    until exiting from Geos.

    3.10 Does the Iomega Zip drive or removable drives work with Geos?

    3.10.1 Does the Iomega Zip drive or removable drives work with Geoworks?

    The Iomega Zip drive will work well with all versions of Geoworks/NewDeal.
    When using GeoManager or NewManager, the Zip drive appears as a 3.5" floppy
    drive, but does contain its own drive letter. The earlier Bernoulli Box
    drives made by Iomega as well as Syquest removable drives like the EZFlyer
    will also work with all versions of Geoworks/NewDeal. Those drives are
    iconed with 5.25" drives. NewManager in NDOr3 and later now has separate
    icons for Zip drives and removable drives, which can be displayed by
    editing the drive values of the [system] section of GEOS.INI. It is
    possible to run entire versions of Geoworks Ensemble from these drives, but
    be careful when doing this because you're only supposed to use Geoworks /
    NewDeal on one machine at a time.

    If Geos is loaded in a DOS window from Windows 95/98, and the Windows
    version of Guest or Active Disk is used for mounting Iomega drives, then
    the Zip or Jaz drive will be recognized. However, running Geos from MS-DOS
    mode requires the DOS version of Guest for Iomega drives to be loaded.

    3.11 Windows 95/98/Millennium Edition

    3.11.1 Can I run Ensemble / NewDeal under Windows 95/98/ME?

    Yes! PC/GEOS provides an excellent integrated software package for Windows
    95/98/ME. However, versions before 2.5 require a bit of tweaking before
    they will seamlessly integrate. Please consult the GeoInfo Database for
    more information on this topic. In a few cases where a lot of errors are
    encountered, running LOADER.EXE with the /s switch is the solution.

    3.12 Y2K Compliance

    3.12.1 Is Geos fully Y2K compliant?

    Steve Main said that Geos was Y2K compliant since its inception, and will
    recognize dates beyond December 31, 1999. In fact, since we are now into
    2003, Geos has been behaving normally.

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 3
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  4. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Where to Get More Information (part 4/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part4
[...]

    + 4.9.1 What is Geos User Groups are out there?

    4 Where to Get More Information

    4.1 On-line Services

    4.1.1 What kind of support is there for Geos on CompuServe?

    It is still being verified whether Geoworks is still active in the PALMB
    forum. Peer support for the desktop version is available in the PCAPP
    forum. As HP has discontinued the OmniGo 100/120 in favor of Windows
    CE-based HPC's, it is unlikely that the OmniGo is supported by Team HP in
    the HPHAND forum.

    4.2 BBS Networks

    4.2.1 Is there much Geos activity on FidoNet?

    There is an active FidoNet Echo for Geos, moderated by Stephen Haffly
    (hafflys@hawaii.rr.com), with Anne Page as co-moderator. Bug your local
    FidoNet SysOp.

    4.3 USENET Newsgroups

    4.3.1 Is there a USENET newsgroup for Geos?

    Yes, it is named comp.os.geos.misc. There is also a moderated newsgroup for
    binaries called comp.binaries.geos. A newsgroup called
    comp.os.geos.programmer for Geos development discussions is also on line.

    There is also a newsgroup for the Nokia 9000-series Communicators. The
    9110.net Newsserver hosts a set of newsgroups with specific topics. To read
    and post on these newsgroups, use the hostname news.9110.net and port 9110.
    In some newsreaders, you may have to combine the two as news.9110.net:9110.
    Two good start-off points are 9k.admin and 9k.misc.

    4.3.2 Is it OK to post binaries to comp.os.geos.misc?

    No. There's a special group for Geos binaries called comp.binaries.geos.
    It's moderated, though, so don't expect your postings to show up right
    away. Send submissions to comp-binaries-geos@pilot.njin.net. The moderator
    is Dan "Shag" Birchall (shag@emanon.net). If your site isn't carrying
    comp.binaries.geos, don't worry too much. Some sites refuse to carry binary
    groups.

    4.3.3 I don't have access to comp.binaries.geos at my site. How can I get
    the files posted there?

    First, check with your system news administrator or USENET news supplier to
    find out why you're not getting the group. If they won't or can't supply
    it, you can try ftp://ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp/Usenet/comp.binaries.geos/. If all
    else fails, you can search through the many Geos FTP sites, or post a
    request to comp.os.geos.misc.

    4.4 GeoInfo Database

    4.4.1 What is the GeoInfo Database, and why should I care?

    The Geos Information Database started out in life as a FAQ similar to this
    one many years ago. It eventually grew too large to properly maintain, so
    it was converted to an on-line AOL database. It currently has over a
    thousand entries detailing every Geos related problem, hint, and tip
    imaginable. Occasionally plain text versions of the GeoInfo Database are
    made available to the general public. Recently Steve Main made an E-book
    version, and Jon Frisby (logical@ix.netcom.com) has made a copy available
    via several VBBS networks. James Bearden, the previous author of this FAQ,
    had made a WWW version available, and both the text and E-book versions are
    available via FTP at ftp://members.aol.com/geoinfo. With the demise of the
    Geoworks Forum on AOL, the GeoInfo was assimilated into the NewDeal
    website, but can't be retrieved from there anymore.

    4.5 FOD Files

    4.5.1 What are FOD files, and why should I care?

    The Geoworks text Fax-On-Demand files contain a lot of Geos information.
    The original versions are current as of "March 7, 1994", (which is circa
    v2.0), and were available via FTP in both text and GeoWrite versions from
    Geoworks' FTP site, and previously from James Bearden's website. Afterwards
    they were maintained by NewDeal and renamed as Technical Support Documents,
    and were available on the Support section of its website. They were also
    available for sale on floppy disk.

    4.6 Publications

    4.6.1 Are there any Geos related publications available?

    To my knowledge, there are no such current publications. However, you might
    find these old publications archived somewhere.

    * Mobilis - John Jerney (jerney@mobilis.volksware.com) said:

    "Mobilis: The mobile computing lifestyle magazine.
    Mobilis is a free monthly magazine available
    exclusively on the web in its entirety featuring
    interviews, tutorials, reviews, and opinion concerning
    all aspects of Pads, wireless communication, and mobile
    peripherals."

    * GeoBytes - A sporadically released newsletter written by the AOL
    GeoReps. GeoBytes is no longer being produced, but existing
    GeoBytes are packed with information that applies to Geos 2.x and
    to a lesser extent to higher versions.
    * GSMN Newsletter - The newsletter included with the monthly GSMN
    distribution.
    * GeigacounteR Digest - Included with the GSMN distribution.

    4.7 The World Wide Web

    4.7.1 What are some good Geos related URL's?

    There are many WWW pages dedicated to Geos. A few good places to start are:

    * BreadBox website at http://www.breadbox.com
    * GEOS/NewDeal WebRing at
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/4373
    * Gene Anderson's website at http://www.tvakatter.org

    4.8 More Zoomer and HP OmniGo Information

    4.8.1 Is there an HP OmniGo FAQ? Where can I find it?

    There is supposed to be one but currently I can't find it. Also below are a
    few of the excellent WWW pages devoted to the Hewlett Packard OmniGo:

    * New! The OmniGo Resource Page (http://www.scc.net/~jonco/omnigo/)
    * New! Adondo's OmniGo Page
    (http://users.bentonrea.com/~adondo/hp/omnigo.htm)
    * New! hp
    omnigo(http://domestic1.sjc.ox.ac.uk/~ahoskins/play/omnigo/)
    * New! OmniGO Commander Home Page (
    http://www.cs.unibo.it/~rossi/oc/ ). As you may guess, you can
    download a DOS-mode for the OmniGo that works very much like
    Norton Commander for MS-DOS.

    4.8.2 Is there a Zoomer FAQ?

    No, but there are several great WWW pages devoted to it:

    * The Zoomer Homepage (http://www.grot.com/zoomer/)
    * The Zoomer Mailing List
    (http://www.grot.com/zoomer/resources.html)
    * The Biostat Zoomer Page
    (http://www.biostat.washington.edu/zoomer.html)
    * Chris De Herrera's Zoomer Page
    (http://members.aol.com/pdcchrisd/)
    * Biostat Zoomer FTP Site
    (ftp://ftp.biostat.washington.edu/pub/zoomer)

    4.9 Geos User Groups

    4.9.1 What Geos User Groups are out there?

    Geos has a following in Europe. For German speaker, visit the NewGEOS
    Informationssysteme at http://www.newgeos.de/.

    For English speakers, user groups in Australia and the US are present. From
    Down Under comes GEIGA, at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~wlogan/geiga.htm. And
    in the US, a good start-off point is GEOS Users International at
    http://members.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html.

    4.10 Geos Mailing Lists

    4.10.1 Are there mailing lists available for Geos?

    The Geos-Talk E-list is on-line. It is maintained by Byron Collins
    (Geos-Talk-owner@yahoogroups.com). The purpose of the list, as written by
    Collins, is as follows:

    "This Group is a forum/e-neighborhood for the users of the
    desktop and handheld devices (The Zoomer PDA's, HP
    OmniGo-100/120, Brother's GeoBook) supporting the Geoworks
    operating system - GEOS; also known as PC/GEOS (New Deal Office,
    Geoworks Ensemble, etc..). General discussions and announcements
    concerning GEOS or PC/GEOS and the applications develope to work
    in the GEOS or PC/GEOS operating system environment is welcome.
    Programming discussing/issues should be carry else where. "

    It is hosted by Yahoo! Groups, a service for creating free mailing lists.
    to the list, send a message to Geos-Talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com, leaving
    the body of the message empty.

    Another mailing list was the GEOS-to-go mailing list, from the Zoomer PDA
    Resources. This focuses on Geos- and GEOS SC-based PDA's such as the Zoomer
    and OmniGo. To subscribe, send a message to majordomo@grot.com with the
    command subscribe geos-to-go in the body of the message.

    Finally there is the OGO mailing list specific to the OmniGo. To subscribe,
    send a message to majordomo@lifelike.com with the command subscribe ogo in
    the body of the message.

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 4
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  5. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Customizing Geos (part 5/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part5
[...]

    5 Customizing Geos

    5.1 The Standard User Interface

    5.1.1 I don't like the interface. Can I customize it?

    The desktop version offers four levels of interface complexity, and fine
    tuning options within each level, so you can customize each application to
    present you with as few or as many functions as you desire. Look for this
    feature in the Options Menu of applications that support it.

    Geos also supports a Generic/Specific UI concept. This means that
    applications are written for a very powerful dynamically bound object
    oriented generic user interface. At runtime the system 'binds' the Generic
    UI to a Specific UI, and all output is presented through that Specific UI.
    A CUA-based Specific UI surfaced briefly for the desktop version 1.x (it
    was part of America Online's now-defunct Promenade service), but due to
    legal questions, it was voluntarily removed from most FTP sites. Eduquest,
    a division of IBM, released a program called SchoolView that uses Geos 2.01
    with a Presentation Manager (PM) interface and a different file manager
    (WorkPlace Shell), that made it resemble OS/2. It's intended primarily for
    network use and is not available for stand-alone systems. It has since been
    discontinued by IBM.

    The SDK does have the PM interface for testing purposes. Copy PM.GEO to
    your system directory and add the line "specific =3D pm.geo" to the [UI]
    section of your GEOS.INI. Note that, due to UI extensions developed by
    Breadbox and incorporated by NewDeal into the 3.0 kernel, the PM UI can no
    longer be used with NDO Release 3.x.

    With NewDeal Release 3, NewDeal has created an alternative Specific UI. The
    Industry Standard UI (ISUI) is intended to provide a more familiar user
    interface, so users of other software would feel more immediately at home.
    It looks similar to Windows 95/98/ME, with a taskbar that allows easy
    switching between running applications, and the Express menu (bearing the
    NewDeal logo) has been moved to the left of the taskbar and given
    Documents, Help, Run, and Shut Down items. It works in conjunction with the
    new NewDesk file manager. During installation, the user is given a choice
    of user interfaces and file managers. The user can change the UI and file
    manager anytime by selecting "Change UI" from Preferences.

    5.1.2 Which character set does Geos use? Most European languages need the
    special characters above CHR(127)...

    Geos has quite a large available character set. For instance, all the
    vowels can be given acute, dieresis, grave, and circumflex accents in both
    upper- and lower-case. You can also use the Spanish =F1 (as in se=F1or),=
    Danish
    =E6, the German =DF (double s), and many other special language characters.=
    You
    also have a choice of various typographical, punctuation, currency, and
    mathematical symbols. These are all documented in the manual, or you can
    bring up a floating keyboard if you are willing to modify your GEOS.INI
    file. With New Deal Office 98 and higher, you can use the Character Map to
    view the entire character set in different fonts. Geoworks produced a
    double-byte character set (DBCS) version based on Unicode in late 1994,
    along with front-end text processors to support Japanese and Korean
    languages. This is known as Geos-J, but unfortunately no products that I
    know of have been developed to use it.

    As of this writing, the euro symbol (it looks like a lower-case c with an =
    =3D
    sign through it), the new monetary standard of 11 states of the European
    Union, is being included as a standard character in Breadbox Ensemble.

    5.1.3 When I install other fonts, they are displayed in the fonts menu in
    the order they were installed. Is there a way to have them in alphabetical
    order?

    The Preferences application in the desktop versions 2.0 and greater allows
    you to select which fonts you wish to have appear in your font menu, and
    their order. Alternatively you can use a disk defragger which sorts files.

    5.1.4 I want to make a graphics file into a Geos background. How do I do
    that?

    Enter Geos and start up GeoDraw or the Scrapbook. Use the Import option (on
    the File menu) to import your file into GeoDraw. Make sure that the
    imported image is selected and then use the Edit menu to either Cut or Copy
    it to the clipboard. Next, start up Preferences and select the Background
    option. Once there, click on the "Get background from clipboard" button,
    give it a name, and your image magically appears as a background.

    5.1.5 How can I keep the splash screen from showing up?

    Steve Main (ndmain@aol.com) writes:

    "You can keep it from showing by:"
    * Use the /LOG parameter when starting NewDeal Office 97, or
    * Use the individual file tool to install LOADERHG.EXE, then rename
    LOADERHG.EXE to LOADER.EXE. This only works if you have a VGA
    monitor.

    5.2 The GEOS.INI File

    5.2.1 What is the GEOS.INI file, and why would I want to mess with it?

    The GEOS.INI file is a plain text file residing in your home Geos
    directory, and it specifies to a large degree how your system behaves.
    Geoworks and NewDeal do not recommend modifying the GEOS.INI file. It's
    generally a bad idea to change your GEOS.INI file unless you know what
    you're doing. However, if you do try to edit it, do it in DOS before you
    load Geos and make a backup copy in case something goes wrong.

    5.2.2 Is there an easy way to tweak the GEOS.INI?

    Yes. There is a utility called GeoCon v2.0 that automatically adjusts your
    GEOS.INI file for you. GeoCon enables you to easily change the color scheme
    and behavior of the Express Menu. Preference 4 Pack also allows you to
    change certain system characteristics. It was added to the desktop in
    NDO98, and was redone as a Preferences module for the most part for Release
    3.

    5.2.3 How do I associate DOS files with programs?

    Kenda Gee (kendagee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca) writes about his ZIP example:

    "The pkunzip is not a problem at all--just use a dosAssociation
    line in your GEOS.INI file and a double-click on your zip
    files...it is a breeze... :-) For pkzipping, there is a way to
    make sure you don't zip up your @DIRNAME.000 and PKZIP.EXE files.
    Create a folder, say "Zipper" in your \DOCUMENT directory... toss
    two files into it--your PKZIP.EXE and another file, called
    PKLIST. In PKLIST, type the files you don't want zipped up each
    time: PKZIP.EXE and DIRNAME.000. Then create a launcher for the
    PKZIP.EXE in your DOSROOM, or WORLD directory, and add the
    following command:

    -X@PKLIST C:\GEOS20\DOCUMENT\ZIPPER\1.ZIP

    "The only shortcoming of this recipe is that you will have to
    rename your output zipped file from 1.ZIP to whatever you want (I
    chose 1.ZIP, so that it will, generally appear on the top left
    hand corner of the \ZIPPER screen, but you could easily call it
    0.ZIP, or whatever you want...). Just make sure you don't
    accidentally delete the PKLIST, or PKZIP.EXE file from your
    \ZIPPER folder.

    "To use the PKZIP, throw your files in the \ZIPPER folder, and
    use the Launcher to zip up your files in that folder."

    5.2.4 How do I get rid of drives in GeoManager?

    This tip works only for Geos 2.x or higher. Add or edit the system section
    of your GEOS.INI file like so:

    [system]

    drive x =3D 0

    where x is the drive you want to make disappear.

    5.2.5 How do I get rid of the link button in GeoManager?

    Lee Bailey (offsite@crl.com) writes:

    "To get rid of the link button in GeoManager, comment out the
    features line in the FileManager section of your GEOS.INI, like
    this:"

    [fileManager]

    ;features =3D 32768

    5.2.6 How do I enable the floating keyboard?

    GWRepMark (gwrepmark@aol.com) writes:

    "In order to use the Floating Keyboard you must insert two lines
    into your INI file: "
    [input]
    noKeyboard =3D true

    [expressMenuControl]
    floatingKeyboard =3D true

    End of the PC/GEOS FAQ Part 5
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

  6. PC/GEOS OS FAQ, Common Problems (part 6/6)

    Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part6
[...]

    6 Common Problems

    6.1 It's broke!

    6.1.1 When I try to start Geos, I get a message saying that Geos is unable
    to find /userdata/fonts! What's the problem?

    This could be any of several things, but it usually means that Geos is
    unable to find a suitable file system driver. Geos interacts with the
    hardware at a very low level, and doesn't work well with anything that
    redirects the drives. Specifically:

    * WFW 32-bit file access sometimes causes problems, in which case
    you should disable it.
    * Windows NT/2000 is not compatible with Geos (v1.x and 2.x).
    Version 3.0 works with NT/2000.
    * Multiuser versions of DOS (DR Multiuser DOS, Concurrent DOS,
    Real/32, PC MOS) are not compatible with all versions of Geos.
    * Geos does not recognize the Win95 (aka MS-DOS 7.0) file system.
    This can be fixed with SETVER (v1.x and v2.x) or by adding the
    line 'fs =3D ms4.geo' to the [system] section of the GEOS.INI file
    (v2.x only.) Geos versions 2.5 and higher don't suffer from this
    problem.
    * PC DOS 7, PC DOS 2000 and DR-DOS 7.03 no longer need SETVER
    loaded for Geos 3.0 to operate.
    * Some networked drives cause problems for Geos system files,
    although you can usually save data to a networked drive.
    * DOS emulation under Linux or Macintosh causes problems because
    Geos tries to directly interact with hardware that just isn't
    there.

    6.1.2 I installed Geos on my zippy new computer, but it won't load up.
    What's the problem? It dies with a KR-01 error (divide by zero).

    This is known as the fast CPU bug. It was first observed on Geoworks
    Ensemble 2.x. The best fix is to edit your GEOS.INI file and change the
    line

    continueSetup =3D true

    continueSetup =3D false

    There may be a new "very fast CPU bug" that affects NDO2000 and Breadbox
    Ensemble (and all earlier versions too). No one has been able to pin down
    exactly at what CPU speed it happens (most likely that is dependent on the
    make and model of CPU) but it is around 1.3 GHz.

    6.1.3 I keep getting SHARE or File Lock errors when I run Geos. What's
    going on?

    Geos needs a lot of files open at once. If you're using SHARE, try adding
    the switch /f:4096 or /f:6144. On some systems, /L:40 seems to help. If you
    are not on a network, you might not need SHARE at all.

    6.1.4 I'm running the desktop version with Stacker installed. Drive C is my
    Stacker volume. For some reason GeoManager insists on looking at drive E
    for the /Geoworks/world directory, even though when I exit Geos I'm on
    drive C. Any ideas?

    Check the volume labels for drives C, D, and E. If they're identical, then
    use GeoManager to edit the volume labels so that each drive has its own
    distinct label. On some computers, you may have to exit to DOS to change
    the drive label (use the LABEL command).

    6.1.5 I keep having problems with Geos 2.0 and
    DoubleSpace/SuperStor/Stacker. What can I do?

    Geos 2.0 normally works fine on compressed drives, although there is
    sometimes a decrease in performance if the swap file is on the compressed
    drive, particularly if you are using DoubleSpace (the compression included
    with MS-DOS 6.0 and 6.2.) Geos 1.x frequently had problems if the swap file
    was on a compressed drive, and users of these versions should make sure
    (through Preferences) that their swap file is on an uncompressed drive.
    Problems with Stacker not recognizing your compressed HD(s) correctly can
    usually be solved by adding lines to the [system] section of your GEOS.INI
    file to specifically define the drives as fixed disks:

    drive c =3D 65536

    where c is your compressed Stacker drive.

    End of the PC/Geos FAQ Part 6
    Copyright =A9 199?-1999 James Bearden. All rights reserved.

    Copyright =A9 1999-2003 Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog. All rights reserved.=
    =20

+ Reply to Thread