GEOS on a mainframe - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS on a mainframe - GEOS ; At work we have an IBM mainframe -- one of the old-style "big irons" -- that has a partition running SUSe Linux. It's pretty interesting to see how well they've adapted/ported what's essentially an i386-style operating system to the radically ...

  1. GEOS on a mainframe

    At work we have an IBM mainframe -- one of the old-style "big irons" -- that
    has a partition running SUSe Linux. It's pretty interesting to see how
    well they've adapted/ported what's essentially an i386-style operating
    system to the radically different architecture of the mainframe.

    Just today, I downloaded DOSBox .62 and compiled it on this beastie.
    Previous versions of DOSBox have compiled OK, but wouldn't run. Well, this
    one ran . . . slowly, but it ran. And guess what was the first program I
    tried out? Why, GEOS, of course, vintage NDO98. And it worked! Very
    slowly, but it worked. I'm going to play with various parameters to see
    how much I can speed it up. For now, though, I'm basking in the warm glow
    of being the first person in the world to run GEOS on an IBM mainframe.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: GEOS on a mainframe

    Wow!!! Will you apply to the Guinness Book of World Records? ;-)

    John ;-)

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > At work we have an IBM mainframe -- one of the old-style "big irons" -- that
    > has a partition running SUSe Linux. It's pretty interesting to see how
    > well they've adapted/ported what's essentially an i386-style operating
    > system to the radically different architecture of the mainframe.
    >
    > Just today, I downloaded DOSBox .62 and compiled it on this beastie.
    > Previous versions of DOSBox have compiled OK, but wouldn't run. Well, this
    > one ran . . . slowly, but it ran. And guess what was the first program I
    > tried out? Why, GEOS, of course, vintage NDO98. And it worked! Very
    > slowly, but it worked. I'm going to play with various parameters to see
    > how much I can speed it up. For now, though, I'm basking in the warm glow
    > of being the first person in the world to run GEOS on an IBM mainframe.

  3. Re: GEOS on a mainframe

    Hehe -- Maybe we could have a distinct category of "1sts" via Geos?

    Ray

    John Howard wrote:

    >Wow!!! Will you apply to the Guinness Book of World Records? ;-)
    >
    >John ;-)
    >
    >Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >> At work we have an IBM mainframe -- one of the old-style "big irons" --

    >that
    >> has a partition running SUSe Linux. It's pretty interesting to see how
    >> well they've adapted/ported what's essentially an i386-style operating
    >> system to the radically different architecture of the mainframe.
    >>
    >> Just today, I downloaded DOSBox .62 and compiled it on this beastie.
    >> Previous versions of DOSBox have compiled OK, but wouldn't run. Well, this

    >> one ran . . . slowly, but it ran. And guess what was the first program I
    >> tried out? Why, GEOS, of course, vintage NDO98. And it worked! Very
    >> slowly, but it worked. I'm going to play with various parameters to see
    >> how much I can speed it up. For now, though, I'm basking in the warm glow
    >> of being the first person in the world to run GEOS on an IBM mainframe.

  4. Re: GEOS on a mainframe

    ***And guess what was the first program I
    tried out? Why, GEOS, of course, vintage NDO98. And it worked! Very
    slowly, but it worked. I'm going to play with various parameters to see
    how much I can speed it up. For now, though, I'm basking in the warm glow
    of being the first person in the world to run GEOS on an IBM mainframe.
    --
    Doug Taylor ***

    Excellent, Doug!

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  5. Re: GEOS on a mainframe

    Congratulation from my side too !!!

    Andreas

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > At work we have an IBM mainframe -- one of the old-style "big irons" --

    that
    > has a partition running SUSe Linux. It's pretty interesting to see how
    > well they've adapted/ported what's essentially an i386-style operating
    > system to the radically different architecture of the mainframe.
    >
    > Just today, I downloaded DOSBox .62 and compiled it on this beastie.
    > Previous versions of DOSBox have compiled OK, but wouldn't run. Well,

    this
    > one ran . . . slowly, but it ran. And guess what was the first program

    > tried out? Why, GEOS, of course, vintage NDO98. And it worked! Very
    > slowly, but it worked. I'm going to play with various parameters to see
    > how much I can speed it up. For now, though, I'm basking in the warm

    glow
    > of being the first person in the world to run GEOS on an IBM mainframe.
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

+ Reply to Thread