Re: How to use the LINK feature? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: How to use the LINK feature? - GEOS ; C BLANK II wrote: > ***One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external > modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy a > null-modem cable or you can ...

  1. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    C BLANK II wrote:
    > ***One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external
    > modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy

    > null-modem cable or you can buy a null-modem *adapter* and plug it onto
    > your serial cable. Not much cost either way.
    > --
    > Doug Taylor ***
    >
    > Thanks to Jorg for the website explaining how to setup the connect feature,
    > I have a 9 pin serial cable with a null modem adapter on one end, connected

    > a 9 pin serial port as comm 1, irq 4, at 2400 baud speed at both ends.

    I have
    > named each computer (comp1, comp2 respectively). I still cannot connect.
    >
    > Other than the fact that I am using 9 pin serial ports, where might the

    problem
    > lie?

    Nope, it works well with 9-pin. I have used that. Should be no problem.

    >Do I need a null modem adapter at both ends?

    You need a null-modem adapter at one end.

    > Does the fact that one
    > computer is a Win'95 system with GEOS running in a DOS window make a
    > difference?

    Yes this might be a problem. BOOT to DOS and start NDO from there.
    Windows might stop GEOS from using the port. I am not 100 per cent sure,
    as I have not used it from a DOS window in Windows. But I have booted
    to the DOS prompt and started GEOS and used it from there.

    > BTW I want to copy Win'95 from one computer to the other, or is that too
    > ambitious for the connect feature?

    Yes, it is too ambitious! The installation files can be copied, as Joerg
    points out.

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***Hans Lindgren nospamhans.lindgren@abc.se
    Date: 9/13/04 4:01 PM Central Daylight Time

    C BLANK II wrote:
    > ***One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external
    > modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy

    > null-modem cable or you can buy a null-modem *adapter* and plug it onto
    > your serial cable. Not much cost either way.
    > -- etc....***

    Thanks for the additional info, Hans. There does seem to be a comm port
    conflict on the Win'95 machine. The DOS sound card I put in won't work either.
    I have solved the problem by putting in a CDRW drive on my archive computer,
    and that has solved the bulk of the file transfer problems.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

+ Reply to Thread