How to use the LINK feature? - GEOS

This is a discussion on How to use the LINK feature? - GEOS ; I am trying to use the LINK feature to access the harddrive on another desktop computer from which I have to move files. I can't seem to make the connection though. I have checked off the C; drive in preferences ...

  1. How to use the LINK feature?

    I am trying to use the LINK feature to access the harddrive on another desktop
    computer from which I have to move files. I can't seem to make the connection
    though. I have checked off the C; drive in preferences and their is no volume
    name on the target C: drive. However, I can't get any kind of activity beyond
    the dialog box that says it is trying to connect. Anything special I need to
    know?

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  2. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    Hi!

    * Both PCs do have to have different names (link-options).
    * Both PCs do have to have the same speed settings (link-options).
    * You'll need a "NULL-MODEM"-cable (aka "Link"-cable)

    That's it...

    Jörg

  3. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***Hi!

    * Both PCs do have to have different names (link-options).
    * Both PCs do have to have the same speed settings (link-options).***

    OK, I'll check that. I didn't notice the options thing before.

    * You'll need a "NULL-MODEM"-cable (aka "Link"-cable)***

    I have a female/female serial cable hooked to both serial ports linking them.
    Is that what you mean by the null-modem cable?

    That's it...

    Jörg***

    Thanks
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  4. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    Hi!

    C BLANK II wrote:

    > ***Hi!
    >
    > * Both PCs do have to have different names (link-options).
    > * Both PCs do have to have the same speed settings (link-options).***
    >
    > OK, I'll check that. I didn't notice the options thing before.

    You should check whether the right com-port has been chosen in the
    linker-options of the preferences or not ;-)
    (BTW: To be on the save side: ensure that your modem is connected to another
    com-port (modem-options in preferences)

    > * You'll need a "NULL-MODEM"-cable (aka "Link"-cable)***
    >
    > I have a female/female serial cable hooked to both serial ports linking
    > them. Is that what you mean by the null-modem cable?

    Maybe yes, maybe not. Your cable could be a cable with all pins connected
    1:1 with the same pin on both sides (aka "extension cable"), while a
    null-modem cable needs some wires to be mixed up:

    Null-modem cable (25 PIN D-SUB FEMALE on both sides; 9 PIN FEMALES just do
    have a different numbering) (may not be 100% correct since I just copied it
    from the web):
    Function (Pin) - (Pin) Function
    ==========================
    Shield Ground (1) - (1) Shield Ground
    Transmit Data (2) - (3) Receive Data
    Receive Data (3) - (2) Transmit Data
    Request to Send (4) - (5) Clear to Send
    Clear to Send (5) - (4) Request to Send
    Data Set Ready (6) - (20) Data Terminal Ready
    Data Terminal Ready (20) - (6) Data Set Ready
    Ground (7) - (7) Ground
    (other pins don't need to be connected)

    Extension cable:
    Function (Pin) - (Pin) Function
    ==========================
    Shield Ground (1) - (1) Shield Ground
    Transmit Data (2) - (2) Transmit Data
    Receive Data (3) - (3) Receive Data
    Request to Send (4) - (4) Request to Send
    Clear to Send (5) - (5) Clear to Send
    Data Set Ready (6) - (6) Data Set Ready
    Ground (7) - (7) Ground
    ... 8 connected to 8, 9 to 9, ...
    Data Terminal Ready (20) - (20) Data Terminal Ready
    ... 21 connected to 21, 22 to 22, ... and 25 to 25.

    Jörg

  5. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    In article , Jörg wrote:
    >Hi!
    >
    >C BLANK II wrote:
    >
    >> * You'll need a "NULL-MODEM"-cable (aka "Link"-cable)***
    >>
    >> I have a female/female serial cable hooked to both serial ports linking
    >> them. Is that what you mean by the null-modem cable?

    >Maybe yes, maybe not. Your cable could be a cable with all pins connected
    >1:1 with the same pin on both sides (aka "extension cable"), while a
    >null-modem cable needs some wires to be mixed up:

    One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external
    modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy a
    null-modem cable or you can buy a null-modem *adapter* and plug it onto
    your serial cable. Not much cost either way.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  6. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***Hi!

    C BLANK II wrote:

    > ***Hi!
    >
    > * Both PCs do have to have different names (link-options).***

    Currently my drives have no volume labels. I assume that name and label are the
    same thing? If so, does that mean I must actually go back and name the drives I
    am trying to link? If so, can that be done without damaging the contents of the
    drive?

    ***> * Both PCs do have to have the same speed settings (link-options).***
    > ***

    Everything is set at 2400 baud, since MSD.EXE showed that to be the speed of
    the comm port involved. I am using comm 1 with irq 4 on both systems.

    ***You should check whether the right com-port has been chosen in the
    linker-options of the preferences or not ;-)
    (BTW: To be on the save side: ensure that your modem is connected to another
    com-port (modem-options in preferences) ***

    There are no modems to interfere on either of these systems. At least none that
    are o[erational.

    ***> * You'll need a "NULL-MODEM"-cable (aka "Link"-cable)***

    OK, I bought a null modem adapter.

[...]

    What I bought has a pin relationship of:

    1 - 4
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 6 & 1
    5 - 5
    6 - 4
    7 - 8
    8 - 7
    9 - not connected

    With all this I cannot yet make the connection.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    Hi!

    >> * Both PCs do have to have different names (link-options).***

    > Currently my drives have no volume labels. I assume that name and label
    > are the same thing?

    No! I mean the "name" that you'll have to enter in "connect"-options (or
    "link"-options or whatever it is called in an English Geos) in your
    "preferences". (And when I speak of "preferences", I mean the Geos-programm
    with that name!)

    > If so, does that mean I must actually go back and name
    > the drives I am trying to link? If so, can that be done without damaging
    > the contents of the drive?

    No, you don't have to "label" your drives. Just go to your "preferences"
    and ... (s. above)

    > Everything is set at 2400 baud, since MSD.EXE showed that to be the speed
    > of the comm port involved. I am using comm 1 with irq 4 on both systems.

    Every PC faster than an original 8086-IBM-PC should be able to handle at
    least 9600 baud, but slower connections should at least work in every case.
    Hence 2400 baud wouldn't do any harm.

    > There are no modems to interfere on either of these systems. At least none
    > that are o[erational.

    I wasn't speaking about modems, but about the SETTINGS in your Geos! So
    please go to your "preferences" and check the settings under "modem"!

    In other words: Don't pass go, don't collect $200, go directly to your
    "preferences"!

    BTW: The NewDeal Technical Support Document 257 "CONNECT FEATURE IN
    NEWMANAGER" can be found here:
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/ND_DOCS/257.HTM

    Jörg

  8. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external
    modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy a
    null-modem cable or you can buy a null-modem *adapter* and plug it onto
    your serial cable. Not much cost either way.
    --
    Doug Taylor ***

    Thanks to Jorg for the website explaining how to setup the connect feature,
    I have a 9 pin serial cable with a null modem adapter on one end, connected to
    a 9 pin serial port as comm 1, irq 4, at 2400 baud speed at both ends. I have
    named each computer (comp1, comp2 respectively). I still cannot connect.

    Other than the fact that I am using 9 pin serial ports, where might the problem
    lie? Do I need a null modem adapter at both ends? Does the fact that one
    computer is a Win'95 system with GEOS running in a DOS window make a
    difference?

    BTW I want to copy Win'95 from one computer to the other, or is that too
    ambitious for the connect feature?

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  9. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    Sorry for my intrusion here,

    Which version of GEOS do you use? If I recall correct, the connect
    feature in NDO2000 is broken, but I _might_ be wrong. I don't knw if
    this feature is working in Breadbox Ensemble, either. The only thing I
    am sure of is that is is working in NDO 3.2a and prior versions, down to
    Geoworks Ensemble 2.0

    You must also to run GeoManager (or File Manager) on both computers with
    the connect feature enabled on both computers, this is done in Preferences.

    My experience is that when this doesn't work in GEOS it is something
    wrong with the physical connection, and the best thing is to thoroughly
    troubleshoot it first.

    I have used a 9 pin null-modem cable with GEOS and it works well.

    Well, there might be several issues. At first I would check the the
    physical connections, to make sure that they are right. If your com
    ports are set in BIOS, I would set them hard, that means: COM1,3F8,IRQ4
    and COM2,2F8,IRQ3. Don't set them as "Auto" mode, as this will often
    cause problems. Further, avoid using COM3 and COM4, as they tend to
    complicate things as they normally share their interrupts (IRQ) with
    COM1 and COM2, which causes conflicts in DOS.
    Here is a small table to clarify this:

    COM1,IRQ4,3F8
    COM2,IRQ3,2F8
    COM3,IRQ4,3E8
    COM4,IRQ3,2E8

    If you have an external modem lying somewhere, you can use it to
    troubleshoot the ports. It doesn't matter what kind of modem, the only
    thing that is important is that is is a Hayes-compatible modem, any
    speed will do, 1200, 2400 and so on. Attach the modem to the physical
    port to test with its modem cable. Configure the modem in Preferences.
    Start GeoComm. In the connection window, write ATDT. Look at the
    external modem now the LEDs should be lit or flash, you should also get
    a OK as an answer. If it this happens, you port is OK. Proceed to the
    other computer, repeat the steps. If the tests will succeed, you know
    there is nothing wrong with your ports, and if the null-modem cable is
    OK, then it should work.

    NOTE: You can't use a null-modem cable with the modem, as the null-modem
    cable is meant to replace the modem in the physcial connection between
    two computers.

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-09-11 07:34, C BLANK II wrote:

    >***One easy check is that if your serial cable works with an external
    >modem, then it is *not* a null-modem cable. In that case, you can buy a
    >null-modem cable or you can buy a null-modem *adapter* and plug it onto
    >your serial cable. Not much cost either way.

  10. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    C BLANK II wrote:

    > Other than the fact that I am using 9 pin serial ports, where might the
    > problem lie? Do I need a null modem adapter at both ends? Does the fact
    > that one computer is a Win'95 system with GEOS running in a DOS window
    > make a difference?

    > BTW I want to copy Win'95 from one computer to the other, or is that too
    > ambitious for the connect feature?

    Hi!

    a) a 9pin port works fine, too.

    b) You'll just need your null-modem cable between the two PCs, nothing else.
    (If your null-modem cable is "too short", you have to extend it with an 1:1
    extension cable. Another null-modem cable would "undo" the function of your
    first null-modem cable.)

    c) There are some cases where Win95 will prevent Geos from accessing the
    com-ports. In most cases is this due to a modem-driver under windows: Every
    time there's incoming data on any of the com-ports, windows will grep that
    data to find out whether it's an incoming fax/phone-call/... . So Geos will
    be blocked. In some rare cases this even happens when your mouse is
    connected to the other com-port. (Since some windows-drivers will allow
    dis-connecting the mouse from the com-port and than reconnect it to the
    other com-port. Hence the driver will scan all activities on all com-ports
    all the time and therefore block Geos.)
    In other words: It's better to drop to plain DOS (In windows: Start-> exit
    (with the "drop to dos"-option!!!! (Sorry, but I can't remember the exact
    term in an English Win95) and start Geos from there.

    d) You can't copy a working Windows with the Geos-connect-feature due to the
    long file names etc. pp. . But you can copy the win95-installation-cd onto
    the other PC's hard-disk with Geos. Nevertheless the installation-cd (if
    you ONLY copy the win95-installation-directory) will be something between
    60 and 120MB. At only 2400baud, this would take days. At maximum speed it
    would still take 1 to 2 hours.

    I guess the main problem is that MSD has only reported 2400baud - either MSD
    is reporting non-sense (MSD isn't always reliable), or it's just reporting
    2400baud since some other software is blocking the access to the com-ports
    for MSD (and hence most likely for Geos, too).

    Jörg

  11. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    It's good to see that after all these years, such a simple, basic,
    no-brainer utility is such a challange for you. You lack of computer basics
    is outstanding.

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
> [...]

    > Data Set Ready (6) - (6) Data Set Ready
    > Ground (7) - (7) Ground
    > ... 8 connected to 8, 9 to 9, ...
    > Data Terminal Ready (20) - (20) Data Terminal Ready
    > ... 21 connected to 21, 22 to 22, ... and 25 to 25.
    >
    > Jörg
    >
    > ***
    >
    > What I bought has a pin relationship of:
    >
    > 1 - 4
    > 2 - 3
    > 3 - 2
    > 4 - 6 & 1
    > 5 - 5
    > 6 - 4
    > 7 - 8
    > 8 - 7
    > 9 - not connected
    >
    > With all this I cannot yet make the connection.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:

  12. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***It's good to see that after all these years, such a simple, basic,
    no-brainer utility is such a challange for you. You lack of computer basics
    is outstanding.
    ***

    Seems to me that I have mentioned my general lack of 'hardware smarts' for some
    time now. Having said that...there is an apparant comm port conflict on the
    win'95 system that is blocking the link. Not wanting to mess with this anymore
    at this time, I have gotten a CDRW and installed it on my archive computer. Now
    I just burn a CD with what I want to transfer. Works great! More than one way
    to skin a cat, as they say.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  13. Re: How to use the LINK feature?

    ***In other words: It's better to drop to plain DOS (In windows: Start-> exit
    (with the "drop to dos"-option!!!! (Sorry, but I can't remember the exact
    term in an English Win95) and start Geos from there.
    ***

    Jorg, thanks for the info. I did try that, but with no autoexec.bat file
    loaded, I get no mouse, so I went no further with that. The CDRW drive I
    installed on my archive computer has solved most of the file transfer problems,
    however. I also managed to get a copy of an OEM Windows'98, so I do not need to
    transfer the Win'95 from one computer to another.

    Thanx,

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

+ Reply to Thread