NTP for GEOS? - GEOS

This is a discussion on NTP for GEOS? - GEOS ; How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it ...

  1. NTP for GEOS?

    How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client
    for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it
    maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it seems
    rather unix-like and might therefore be amenable to some sort of time
    syncing, the use of drift files, etc. Has anyone given it any thought?
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    I believe, NTP wouldn't be too complicated. Only the support for writing
    network services/apps with the current SDK isn't documented right what I
    have seen. I think it would be only possible with the Nokia SDK or with the
    Cool libraries for NewBasic. But definatly a thing I would like too.

    Andreas

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client
    > for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it
    > maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it seems
    > rather unix-like and might therefore be amenable to some sort of time
    > syncing, the use of drift files, etc. Has anyone given it any thought?
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  3. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    Hi,
    Does NewBasic only run on Geos or can I develop in NewBasic on a
    Windows PC? Can NewBasic get data via HTTP as I'd like to do a small
    stock tracking program for NDO. TIA
    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Andreas Bollhalder
    wrote:

    >I believe, NTP wouldn't be too complicated. Only the support for writing
    >network services/apps with the current SDK isn't documented right what I
    >have seen. I think it would be only possible with the Nokia SDK or with the
    >Cool libraries for NewBasic. But definatly a thing I would like too.
    >
    >Andreas
    >
    >Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client
    >> for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it
    >> maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it seems
    >> rather unix-like and might therefore be amenable to some sort of time
    >> syncing, the use of drift files, etc. Has anyone given it any thought?
    >> --
    >> Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    >> The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    >> doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  4. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Does NewBasic only run on Geos or can I develop in NewBasic on a
    > Windows PC? Can NewBasic get data via HTTP as I'd like to do a small
    > stock tracking program for NDO. TIA

    There is a not released hobbyist component for tcp stuff. nice but not
    really working 100% well :-(. I did some stuff with it (not released
    either) like a basic telnet and a rdf/rss reader (3 years ago? now it's
    all the rage. ah well) plus a very basic test implementation of jabber
    IM. Well, it would need to mature. But now there is a new hope Ulrich
    Cordes wants to take up doing NewBasic components... (the guy who wrote
    the astronomy app the other month)

    If you *really* want the component ask Konstantin Meyer, he posts here
    occasionally.

    An NewBasic also runs very well on GEOS-SC though I doubt anyone here's
    got a copy :-)

    Hope this helps.
    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  5. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    dtaylor@dougspc.uts.ohio-state.edu (Douglas A. Taylor) wrote in message news:...
    > How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client
    > for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it
    > maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it seems
    > rather unix-like and might therefore be amenable to some sort of time
    > syncing, the use of drift files, etc. Has anyone given it any thought?

    Not only a thought, even a try :-) I once wrote an NTP client - it was
    some 10 lines of NewBasic code. But the NewBasic code used my own
    Internet component for NewBasic which itself used a libary called
    EasyTCP that made enabling connections etc a lot easier... long long
    ago.

    Bye,
    MeyerK

  6. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    In article ,
    MeyerK wrote:
    >dtaylor@dougspc.uts.ohio-state.edu (Douglas A. Taylor) wrote in message
    >> How hard would it be to write an ntp (network time protocol) client
    >> for GEOS? From the little I know about how GEOS handles the clock (it
    >> maintains its own clock and writes to the hardware clock on exit) it seems
    >> rather unix-like and might therefore be amenable to some sort of time
    >> syncing, the use of drift files, etc. Has anyone given it any thought?

    >Not only a thought, even a try :-) I once wrote an NTP client - it was
    >some 10 lines of NewBasic code. But the NewBasic code used my own
    >Internet component for NewBasic which itself used a libary called
    >EasyTCP that made enabling connections etc a lot easier... long long
    >ago.

    Sounds like this EasyTCP library could be quite a valuable addition
    to NewBasic.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  7. Re: NTP for GEOS?

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > Sounds like this EasyTCP library could be quite a valuable addition
    > to NewBasic.

    Absolutely. I hope it has grown some omre reliable ;-) but basically way
    cool. apart from the issues of singlethreaded NewBasic and the
    associated problems but basically I would like it to be released. I have
    some stuff :-) which I could finally finish and release.

    greets
    Dom
    --
    C:\>